PDA

View Full Version : Elk around PG ?? Basics and useful tips?

emerson
06-20-2010, 04:36 PM
From those who know; what do I need to know about hunting elk? Rut, habits, calling, anything that others have found useful. I will be within 2 1/2 hours of PG or so. No quad or boat; just truck and boots. Thanks.

3006pg
06-20-2010, 04:40 PM
not that i am a big elk hunter or have shot an elk at all but there are elk around pg. calling is a big thing with elk i am told. also they are very smart animals with very good hearing and sense of smell

Benthos
06-20-2010, 04:59 PM
within 2.5 hrs of pg, i'd just drive the extra .5 hr to the Chetwynd area and hunt there. the numbers of elk are far higher and probably have better chance of success.

barry1974w
06-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Salmon valley has some, willow river has some, I've seen a few out around chief lake. But yeah, I'd head towards Chetwynd. Quite a few elk around once you get past silver sands.

swampthing
06-20-2010, 07:08 PM
I am fairly new to PG and have been looking for elk as well. I know there is a few honey holes but other than that I think they are fairly thin. I have seen some cows on the hwy east of town. Get out and do some scoutin. I will be doin the same during the summer. Good luck.

ruger#1
06-20-2010, 07:19 PM
There are also elk around Baldy Hughs. Do not know if there is a season. About eight years ago when hunting moose there I seen a cow and calf elk.

moosinaround
06-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Elk around Pg is a pretty congested area. I have been looking for the last 5-6 years and have found them, but when a person goes back they have moved. Calling is productive in the rut but you will be competing with 2 other elk callers so they get bugle shy. Head to Hudson Hope, there are elk a plenty there.:neutral:Moosin

3006pg
06-20-2010, 07:56 PM
i dont really think it depends on what area of pg your hunting for them . i mean ya some areas might have more elk than others but for the most part there is sign of elk all around pg

thetackdriver
06-20-2010, 08:18 PM
i dont really think it depends on what area of pg your hunting for them . i mean ya some areas might have more elk than others but for the most part there is sign of elk all around pg

Your wrong!!! theres no elk around pG. Dont know where your getting your information from

3006pg
06-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Your wrong!!! theres no elk around pG. Dont know where your getting your information from

i think it might just be my being able to read tracks you know me steve i get bear and deer tracks mixed out for crying out loud

thetackdriver
06-20-2010, 08:20 PM
i think it might just be my being able to read tracks you know me steve i get bear and deer tracks mixed out for crying out loud

Rookie mistake

lightmag
06-20-2010, 09:04 PM
elk in PG???? drive right thru PG and head north, do not stop in PG! No Elk here....... .......

Brett
06-20-2010, 10:36 PM
I've seen the pictures :)

BCrams
06-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Quite a few elk around PG actually. More than people realize given their penchant for sticking to thick timber or mature timber vs cut blocks where the majority of hunters like to congregate hoping to see something in the open. Not that you can't get them in open cuts or blocks a few yrs old, a fellow is likely to be more productive avoiding those areas.

That said, the Peace is definatly the better place to go for elk.

emerson
06-20-2010, 11:16 PM
I appreciate the replies, I will only be hunting in one day chunks due to family commitments, so close is where it will happen. What a basic elk habits? Call advice etc? Thanks.

BCrams
06-20-2010, 11:39 PM
Good rule of thumb to get started on PG elk is to start focusing your efforts within 1-2 km of any major water way and their larger feeder tributaries within the PG area. This being:

Fraser, Nechako, Stuart, Blackwater, Salmon, Willow, Bowron, McGregor, Parsnip, Torpy, Herrick.

emerson
06-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Good rule of thumb to get started on PG elk is to start focusing your efforts within 1-2 km of any major water way and their larger feeder tributaries within the PG area. This being:

Fraser, Nechako, Stuart, Blackwater, Salmon, Willow, Bowron, McGregor, Parsnip, Torpy, Herrick.
Thanks. Questions to all. Do elk move more early morning/late evening? ?Are their rut schedules and habits similar to moose? What do they eat?

jml11
06-22-2010, 09:56 AM

Thanks for narrowing it down...:roll:

Elk hunting around here is really frustrating, the elk seem to move around a lot and where you find them one day they are not there the next, no to mention year to year variations. I think there is a lot of luck involved in getting yourself into ear shot of a herd or bull that is willing to come to you...

I think I am heading to the peace this year!

kootenayelkslayer
06-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Elk hunting around PG might just drive you crazy. The bush is thick and the elk seem to be pretty scattered in little pockets, and like to move around a fair bit like jml11 said. They don't seem to be too vocal either. I haven't really found a spot that has dense enough numbers of elk to consider it 'good' elk hunting... but maybe I've been partially spoiled by the Kootenays.
But if you're set on hunting elk around PG, start looking for patches of mature timber near some of the major rivers and in between the cut blocks. You'll start finding sign pretty quick I bet.

moosinaround
06-22-2010, 06:46 PM
That's what I was talking about. You may get on a herd early, if you do stay far enough away that you do not spook them. The herds are around, but if you go in bugle a blazing, you can kiss yer elk chance goodbye. You will need to pattern them, and get em early. Pg elk get bugle shy easy, they can tell a real one from a poser. It is way more time consuming hunting elk in PG, not too many "Luck" into them. Coalmine Rd has em, Haggen Valley has em, Bowron Valley, Salmon Valley, Willow River/Eaglet, Stuart River/Mandalay/KayKay, Blackwater River, Punchaw Lake/Tako, Woodpecker, Hixon/Govt Creek, Even some in the Mud River/ Nechako River area. So pick an area and start scouting, I will probably bump into you out there! Good Luck, Moosin

killman
06-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Vanderhoof is loaded with them, I wouldn't even waste my time here!:-D

todbartell
06-22-2010, 06:51 PM
just try what I do. ATV down a main road until a 6 pt walks down the middle of the road away from you. Get off, walk around corner and shoot it :D 7A elk is easy man!

killman
06-22-2010, 06:52 PM
just try what I do. ATV down a main road until a 6 pt walks down the middle of the road away from you. Get off, walk around corner and shoot it :D 7A elk is easy man!

See I told ya!

GoatGuy
06-23-2010, 02:59 AM
Seen a herd up near McLeod lake a few times. Would be another spot to check.

BCrams
06-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Seen a herd up near McLeod lake a few times. Would be another spot to check.

I've seen them there too a few times. Right through past the rail crossing and kennedy siding turn off past the Mackenzie Junction.

For any interested parties, I'd check out between north end of McLeod Lake narrows straight east to the Parsnip / gas line and north to the highway in that block of land. Guarantee there's legal bulls in there.

Focus along the river for sign and branch out from there. I put my bets on finding them west of the river somewhere in that chunch of real estate bush.

emerson
09-18-2010, 04:05 PM
I followed the close to rivers, heavy timber advice, and found much sign and one nice rack leaving through 5'-7' brush. Not an easy spot to get to; coming back uphill with meat would/will be an adventure. On the plus side, I seem to always have the bush to myself as long as walking is the only way around. Will elk cross major roads and hunting season active FSR's much, or would they rather just move a few klicks within their "safe" range when disturbed? Thanks.

BCrams
09-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Will elk cross major roads and hunting season active FSR's much, or would they rather just move a few klicks within their "safe" range when disturbed? Thanks.

More with the 2nd. They'll cross major roads but usually in a manner that doesn't allow time to get out and shoot. Heard tell the odd one does stand around long enough to shoot.

Secondary or old roads are better.

emerson
09-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Good. That means I will probably be able to look for them in the 15 sq. km area or so where I found them. Thanks.

emerson
09-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Found more beds and lots of tracks. Figured out a slightly better access, but will have to wait a week due to work.