PDA

View Full Version : Question about hunting in dry weather

Andy83
06-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Last year, I had a group draw for moose in 5 04B, sept 10-30. we went for the last week in sept, and it was dry, and really hot. +30 and above everyday. It was hard to stalk in the bush and be quiet. Walking on cornflakes. I myself have a hard time sitting still, so still hunting or stand hunting is pretty much out. What would anyone on here do? I have the same group draw this year, and am hoping the weather will be better. If not, what should I do? Any ideas would be great. Thank you.

Andy

Steeleco
06-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Walking in those conditions it tough any time of year. The biggest issue for me last Sept was taking care of the meat. I suppose if you know that area well, you'll need to get into your spot early and wait for them to come to you.
I like you can't sit still for long periods, but sometimes our choices are few!!

Good luck.

Blacktail
06-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Personally I would for thick timber or swampy areas where it is cool or high up in timber where it meets alpine meadows.Find a spot with fairly fresh sign, get in there early and hunt the first and last two hours of the day or get in and stay all day.Hopefully something comes to you

Hot weather can be a real bitch cause they just won't move until nightfall when it is cooler

my .02

frenchbar
06-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Personally I would for thick timber or swampy areas where it is cool or high up in timber where it meets alpine meadows.Find a spot with fairly fresh sign, get in there early and hunt the first and last two hours of the day or get in and stay all day.Hopefully something comes to you

Hot weather can be a real bitch cause they just won't move until nightfall when it is cooler

my .02

x2 thats what to do allright.

peashooter
06-20-2010, 10:21 AM
last light watch the bush on the edge of popular cut blocks. and when you connect, and you will, get the meat cooled quickly in those early conditions.

#1fishslayer
06-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Carry a piss can full of moose lure, spray then walk, simple!

jml11
06-20-2010, 10:35 AM
x2 thats what to do allright.

agreed. It sounds like you got hit with a batch of poor hunting weather for that time of year. Unfortunately september can still be pretty warm especially in the southern half of BC. During past elk hunts in the Muska-Kechika, end of august, early september, the weather has often been pretty warm still as well which drastically shortens our hunting day. We typically only hunt until about 10-10:30 in the morning, veg around camp through the day, nap, fish...and head out around 4:00 for an evening hunt. In that weather we only seem to see the elk early in the morning and in the evening. Most elk taken have been just after first light. This doesn't mean you can't find an animal mid day in hot weather, but they will likely stick to timber and bed down for the day in the shade.

Hopefully it will be cooler for you this year and you find the moose hunting less frustrating.

frenchbar
06-20-2010, 10:41 AM
[quote=jml11;695971]agreed. It sounds like you got hit with a batch of poor hunting weather for that time of year. Unfortunately september can still be pretty warm especially in the southern half of BC. During past elk hunts in the Muska-Kechika, end of august, early september, the weather has often been pretty warm still as well which drastically shortens our hunting day. We typically only hunt until about 10-10:30 in the morning, veg around camp through the day, nap, fish...and head out around 4:00 for an evening hunt. In that weather we only seem to see the elk early in the morning and in the evening. Most elk taken have been just after first light. This doesn't mean you can't find an animal mid day in hot weather, but they will likely stick to timber and bed down for the day in the shade.

Hopefully it will be cooler for you this year and you find the moose hunting less frustrating.[/quote

patience..patience.. patience ..it can be tough and extremely frusterating at times under those conditions . if you got the time to hunt it day in and day out ...things useually come together ..just takes a bit of time in those conditions.

hunter1947
06-20-2010, 11:21 AM
I had the same weather for elk season last year ,what I did was hunted the first 4 hours in the morning then back to camp then out in the bush 3 hours before I lost shooting light..

ytlogger
06-20-2010, 11:31 AM
The thought of trying to take care of meat at +30 makes me cringe. Sheep are bad enough. A guy once told me that he got a pair of wooly socks big enough to fit over his boots for quiet walking. Never tried it.

22savage
06-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Call Call Call end of sept should be pre rut or full rut for moose get them to come to you. Find the cows or fresh sign then find a area where you can see in all directions perferably up high, call, glass ,call, sit quietly in the mornings and evenings

moose2
06-20-2010, 02:24 PM
I hunt the north on the August opener most years and hot weather is always a problem. Moose love water in these conditions. So I like to use maps or google earth to find a large area that has very few ponds or lakes in it. Find a 5 sq km patch of bush with a beaver pond or two in it and you will find a moose. Be at the pond with the best sign an hour before day break( you can't sleep in this time of year). Walk in , you are better not to use a quad. If you are noisy give a couple low moose grunts and continue in. Stay put for a few hours or all day if you want. I use the heat of the day to look for sign or mabey bump into one in the timber. I like to be back at the pond a few hours before dark and sit there until I can't safely shoot. Hunting an area with lots of water holes can be good, but harder to hunt.

northof49
06-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Last year, I had a group draw for moose in 5 04B, sept 10-30. we went for the last week in sept, and it was dry, and really hot. +30 and above everyday. It was hard to stalk in the bush and be quiet. Walking on cornflakes. I myself have a hard time sitting still, so still hunting or stand hunting is pretty much out. What would anyone on here do? I have the same group draw this year, and am hoping the weather will be better. If not, what should I do? Any ideas would be great. Thank you.

Andy
Haven't read thru the thread, but with temps like that I'd find water and let them come to you. Opt for north aspects first, along creeks and in timeber where there is some shade. Other option is to go high (near treeline) where it is cooler due to elevation/wind. Just tougher getting donkey's down from there depending on access.

Brett
06-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Call Call Call end of sept should be pre rut or full rut for moose get them to come to you. Find the cows or fresh sign then find a area where you can see in all directions perferably up high, call, glass ,call, sit quietly in the mornings and evenings
X2

Learn how to call! it's easy, your friends will think your stupid because of the weird sounds your making, but they'll get over it when a bull starts grunting back and coming at you. This way you don't need to be silent or to still, put some heart into it and those buggers will come from miles away!

Jelvis
06-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Still hunting does not mean sitting still on a stump lol. it means constantly moving quietly stopping now and then walking again. So your new to hunting by the sounds of it.
Your thinking stand hunting or ground blind not still hunting.
You got more reading to do. lol.
Dry weather for moose and you hunting means no bush hunting by walking.
Park vehicle in the morning darkness and walk into a half wet meadow, sit, call, wait silently listen hard, make no sudden movement also, watch the wind drift, look in all directions.
Jelly ... Moose hunt near an access trail at least ... for reasonable work ... in a moose meadow.

gamehunter6o
06-20-2010, 03:41 PM
If you have to move about in the dry it sure helps if you have a dog with you to break up the obvious 2 step walking of a human.
May not work as well where you have preditors. My 2 cents worth.

Andy83
06-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice! I appreciate it. I'll let you all know how the hunt goes.

Chuck
06-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Something I've noticed in the past. Hot and dry weather indicated very little movement in the areas that were normally productive. Where's the game? They aren't moving around it seems & they all buggered off someplace else! Look for cooler, wetter areas in which the cover may be tighted and more difficult to navigate as a result. Depending on species could also mean higher, windier and/or even lower with sunset sooner.

Jelvis
06-20-2010, 09:48 PM
When walking along hunting, don't walk into the dry bush stay on old old roads that are like wide trails with grass on them, for quiet walking then scan into the bush from the old old road as you walk slowly along gazing about.