PDA

View Full Version : tent size 2man or 3man?

pnbrock
06-20-2010, 08:37 AM
what do you hike in hunters need for tent space?will be with the wife and dog .could i get away with the smaller and save on pack space or is it not enough to have less sleeping space?thanks

Blainer
06-20-2010, 09:20 AM
With the wife and dog,maybe a hotel would be a better option?
Just razzin' ya buddy.

Steeleco
06-20-2010, 09:36 AM
If it's a long walk, you may want two bivy's and let the pup sleep under the stars. Hopefully it will be a light trip in and a grewler on the way out.

spear
06-20-2010, 09:38 AM
MSR hubba hubba, think its about the lightest and most spacious two man tent under 350.00
Also has a large vestibule for the dog, I've got a mec Tarn 2 and it's a little tight for room

Krico
06-20-2010, 11:05 AM
A 2 man tent will "just" fit 2 people, gear in the vestibule. If the dog is going to be inside the tent with you, a 3 man is the way to go, at a minimum - unless the dog is chihuahua or some other pocket pal. Go to a store with tents set up. Crawl in with the Mrs. You will see what I mean.

ytlogger
06-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Some nights I need a vestibule for my wife!

pnbrock
06-20-2010, 12:53 PM
what about the marmot limelight3 any users?

srupp
06-20-2010, 01:30 PM
two years ago when looking for a new sheep tent for early trips I was looking at a particular tent..already set up ,the young 25'sh attractive sales girl was talking with me while I crawled in the tent..I told her since I was a bit on the larger size..maybe it would be too cramped for two...:confused:

No hesitation..... off comes her shoes and shes SQUEEZED in the tent with me MUCH TO SUSANS DISPLEASURE...:mrgreen:

hmmm did fit the two of us nicely..but did rate as a birth control device..nothing much was happening in that small of a space..:eek:

I purchased the two person model...

Srupp

ytlogger
06-20-2010, 02:48 PM
two years ago when looking for a new sheep tent for early trips I was looking at a particular tent..already set up ,the young 25'sh attractive sales girl was talking with me while I crawled in the tent..I told her since I was a bit on the larger size..maybe it would be too cramped for two...:confused:

No hesitation..... off comes her shoes and shes SQUEEZED in the tent with me MUCH TO SUSANS DISPLEASURE...:mrgreen:

hmmm did fit the two of us nicely..but did rate as a birth control device..nothing much was happening in that small of a space..:eek:

Srupp

After that I would be thinking about a vestibule for the wife. Not saying much but thinking.

Kudu
06-20-2010, 03:05 PM
For me the tent has always been the base camp, on the fly I always try and get away with Hammocks (lets not go there).

I have owned a number of tents in the past, a few very good European ones included, usually it is either the Mrs, or nowadays the son -(s) that go into the wilderness with me, and now we have the dog as well, luckily he will only be about 40 - 45 lbs fully grown - so we are not talking about a great Dane here.

The Kifaru products have really done it for us since we have lived out here in BC, the tents are great - not too heavy to pack a reasonable way, and give good shelter - even in Bc storms (yes I have been a few of those)

Here is a pic of their saw tooth model, worth a look at - if you are like me - I don't like buying twice - buy the right thing once and you will get good service from it.

A word of advice if I may, make sure that you get a really good pad to sleep on, camping is not for everyone, a good - comfortable nights sleep goes a hell of a long way into helping with getting into camping - think "Big Agnes", or any of the other good pads out there.

https://kifaru.net/sawtooth.html

https://kifaru.net/images/2man_main-ericlynn.jpg

Devilbear
06-20-2010, 03:37 PM
The major downside to Kifaru tipis is the VERY large "footprint" and this makes them not fit well into many BC mountain situations. I like my 8-man, with liner, mossy netting and large stove with 12-man pipe plus some other camping gear as a "basecamp" cookshack, but, this rig cost a LOT of coin and there are less pricey alternatives.

For, MOST camping, any of the "name" 3-person alpine tents, North Face VE-25, Sierra Designs has a couple, Mountain Hardware, too, I like MSR best of this level of price and Hilleberg has the finest and rather costly tents I have used in many decades in BC mountains.

As I posted on the "tarp thread", you can OFTEN find "as new" examples of these for quite low prices and that is a good way to buy.

MattW
06-27-2010, 09:05 AM
what about the marmot limelight3 any users?
I use the marmot limelight 3 man. It's been a very good tent so far. Even when it's just two of us I'll carry that little bit of extra weight over the two man so I don't have to spoon my hunting buddy all night. It would fit two people and a dog or two people and a little room to move or for gear.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
06-27-2010, 09:56 AM
just bought ID Yukon with a small and large vestibule,just waiting for it to show up..

jessbennett
06-27-2010, 10:15 AM

Srupp

bawhahahaha......... oooops....... lol.
so......... did the tent come with a doghouse?????:mrgreen:

BiG Boar
06-27-2010, 10:37 AM
I would get a three man. If you hunt with a buddy then you can share the tent saves weight and space. I got the hubba hubba and it works well, however I am a big guy.

Devilbear
06-27-2010, 12:19 PM
just bought ID Yukon with a small and large vestibule,just waiting for it to show up..

I just called Charlie, yesterday and he told me that he had sent in the order for your tent. I am seriously considering buying one for myself as this is about the lightest, truely tough and mountain-capable tent I know of and I seldom use my larger Hilles and Kifaru.

I really like the ventilation....after chili for dinner.... and that large vestibule gives lots of space to ride out any nasty storm and I have had this happen in 2006 and 2007 on opening day, so, having a tent of this quality is well worth the cost, IMO.

It is a lot easier for big dudes like "Bigbore14", who cracked his noggin on a beam in my basement when he was at my humble abode, to get in and out of one of these, than the traditional front entry type and they just seem like the best compromise tent for backpack hunting.

700bdl
06-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Definitely go for the 3 man. I bought a 2 man for my partner and I and it just fit us with minimal gear. That included a queen size sleeping bag we shared.

BlacktailStalker
06-27-2010, 01:57 PM
I just called Charlie, yesterday and he told me that he had sent in the order for your tent. I am seriously considering buying one for myself as this is about the lightest, truely tough and mountain-capable tent I know of and I seldom use my larger Hilles and Kifaru.

I really like the ventilation....after chili for dinner.... and that large vestibule gives lots of space to ride out any nasty storm and I have had this happen in 2006 and 2007 on opening day, so, having a tent of this quality is well worth the cost, IMO.

It is a lot easier for big dudes like "Bigbore14", who cracked his noggin on a beam in my basement when he was at my humble abode, to get in and out of one of these, than the traditional front entry type and they just seem like the best compromise tent for backpack hunting.

Yes I think I am ordering this tent as well. I have been teeter tottering back and forth between the MKs and the Jannu but I think this is a better tent for me, esp having that full size door. Being 6'3" crawling out a small hole at one end is a lot of work sometimes after a full day of hiking on day 10...
Wish there was a bit better description/pictures/measurments of the vestibules as that is the final thing preventing me from ordering (like to get it right the first time)

Devilbear
06-27-2010, 02:29 PM
I have had that same problem and my feeling is that the ID is lighter and still big enough for what you need as a hunting tent. I have both ID and Hilles. and the quality is equal, so, no worries there.

I would have bought a Yukon first, had they been availble when I bought what I now have and I would STRONGLY recommend the LARGE vestibule, if, you can only get or just want one. This makes it a quite large tent for it's weight and very versatile.

I also consider a Siltarp II or, my preference, a Siltarp III to be an essential part of a complete backpack hunting camp and these can be rigged to cook under and/or just to sit under to watch the rain pour down.

I love camping in snowfalls and rainstorms and this is as big a part of hunting to me, as finding and shooting the game.

BlacktailStalker
06-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Maybe I will email them and ask them to fire off some pics of one with both the small and large vestibule attatched...
I was going to order a siltarp as well anyways.
Quite frankly I am going on a "gear bender" this week :lol:

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
06-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Maybe I will email them and ask them to fire off some pics of one with both the small and large vestibule attatched...
I was going to order a siltarp as well anyways.
Quite frankly I am going on a "gear bender" this week :lol:

charlie gives a good deal i ordered both the small and the large vestibules.....the small is just another 45bucks,if you do a solo hunt and don't need the extra room you got it..

steelheadSABO
06-27-2010, 04:19 PM
3-4 man tent I got a Walmart ozark trail and it has room for two comfortably and room for a dog and all your gear it only weighs about 3-4lbs with poles and won't cost you a furtune