PDA

View Full Version : Is your hunting season ruined by LEH?

Gateholio
06-20-2010, 03:03 AM
Every year, LEH comes out and every year, people complain about it.

I'm not one of the "lucky" LEH'ers....I went 10 years without a single draw and have still only had a handful of draws in my hunting career.....

But lack of LEH success has never "ruined" my hunting season. There is so much to hunt that I never was really bothered when I didn't get an LEH.

Does lack of LEH success really "ruin" your hunting season?

hunter1947
06-20-2010, 03:14 AM
Clarke I never let the LEH system rule over my GOS hunt ,the LEH draw is just a bonus if I get picked.

I have my season planed for the next years hunt before the end of that year as come to an end http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif..

peashooter
06-20-2010, 04:20 AM
Hunting season is what it is. Any leh is considered a bonus to the already generous gos we have in bc. Of course it's frustrating to get nil every year but hey I never got my 50 mil super lotto either.

Sitkaspruce
06-20-2010, 04:39 AM
Nope

Never has and never will. (Unless they put ALL animals on LEH)

There is so much GOS in the province that no one should ever complain about not getting "Their" draw.

As it has been said a million time before, it is a Lotto and sometime you are a lucky one, but most of the time you are not......

Just get out there and hunt!!!!!

Cheers

SS

killman
06-20-2010, 05:52 AM
Nope! Wolves! The damn Wolves!

Ozone
06-20-2010, 06:20 AM
Not at all, perhaps this is why I dont get upset being 0/25 years.

killman
06-20-2010, 06:26 AM
Not at all, perhaps this is why I dont get upset being 0/25 years.

Read my post in the "what color ink thread" you might want to look into it.

lilhoss
06-20-2010, 06:28 AM
Yes ruins mine every year!Every year I want a Rosie In the Central Island,and every year they give it to someone else!All that is left is Blacktail,Bears,grouse,ducks,geese,or I could head inland for those lousy muleys,whitetails,elk,or moose,nothing really to do now,..damn leh.

valleycowboy
06-20-2010, 06:46 AM
LEH is just an added bonus.
for me....just means i have to hunt spike/fork horned moose rather than the "bigger" bulls,lol

ratherbefishin
06-20-2010, 06:56 AM
I could accept the LEH system if I was convinced it was neccesary and increasing the game population,but when we have such abundant and widespread populations as deer,elk and moose,and with hunter numbers declining, and roads and railways accounting for far more animals than hunters will ever kill, I have serious doubts as to the validity of a system that results in a chance[not a guarantee] of taking ''any bull'' about once every 5 years-if I'm lucky.I'm not convinced that many ''immatures'' are not abandoned and left to rot when the hunter walks up and sees a third point....and a dead animal is removed from the breeding population no matter WHAT reason or cause of death

The fact that white tails were under LEH up until this year is proof we have far more regulation and restriction than we need.The fact that elk have become a nuisance in farm areas is proof we have far more regulation and restriction than we need.The greater amount of annimals succumb to vehicles,trains and preditors-who have a ''GOS'' 24 hours a day,365 days a year.....

I am all for an LEH system-WHERE WARRENTED,and ONLY for conservation reasons

sean laxton
06-20-2010, 06:58 AM
Last time I got an l.e.h. was 2001(bull moose)and ended up taking a two point for the quality eats.This year I got fed up and instead of putting in for a shared hunt ,my son and I put in individual.we got two out of the 3 draws we put in for.The same guys get shared hunt draws every year the system is messed somewhere when one guy gets no draws for 10 yrs and another gets it ofr 7 in a row.Where's the odds reduction they claim.may be a fluke but I don't know.

ROEBUCK
06-20-2010, 07:05 AM
I could accept the LEH system if I was convinced it was neccesary and increasing the game population,but when we have such abundant populations as moose,and with hunter numbers declining, and roads and railways accounting for far more moose than we will ever kill, I have serious doubts as to the validity of a system that results in a chance[not a guarantee] of taking ''any bull'' about once every 5 years-if I'm lucky.

The fact that white tails were under LEH up until this year is proof we have far more regulation and restriction than we need.The fact that elk have become a nuisance in farm areas is proof we have far more regulation and restriction than we need.

I am all for an LEH system-WHERE WARRENTED,and ONLY for conservation reasons

i agree 100%

if an animal is sensative to over harvest then its worthwhile!

but 90% of the time its over regulation!

But to the origimal post! no it does not ruin my hunting at all!

proguide66
06-20-2010, 07:12 AM
The first 4 postr's on this thread are frikkin VAMPIRES !!!...anyone sleep anymore???:razz:

06-20-2010, 07:18 AM
NOPE,
Even though I'll be killing a billy up your way Gate on LEH, my season would still have been a good one. Nuttin stoppin dis guy when it comes to huntin in the counry.
CT

barry1974w
06-20-2010, 07:20 AM
I always hope for an LEH, but I apply mostly for fairly popular, easy to access hunts. Same as all the guys who don't get drawn for 15 years. So LEH tags are few and far between. But out of the four moose draws I've ever gotten, three were in a row with reduced odds. Weird but a fluke I'm sure. Back to the thread. No, just hunt GOS.

slicky72
06-20-2010, 07:38 AM
No draw just = different hunting plans . Not a big deal.

ruger#1
06-20-2010, 07:40 AM
My hunting seasons do not revolve around the LEH, I go to be away. Do some gold panning and exploring. Even if I do not get an animal I still have fun and also loose a bit of weight at the same time. This year I didn't put in for LEH so some one should thank me for making their odds better.

Walksalot
06-20-2010, 07:40 AM
The LEH system doesn't and never has ruined my hunting season. However, for people, at their place of work, who have to submit their preference for their holidays early in the year it does leave things up in the air. To have the draw such that it was held in January might make planning a hunt a bit easier.
Where in the problem lies, as I see it, is the harvest numbers for the previous year are not tallied until the following year and to implement an effective animal management strategy the harvest numbers for the previous year should be known.

moosinaround
06-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Nope! Simple!! Hunting is about the time in the bush, the fresh air, the peace and tranquility, the time spent on my own terms, no buzzers phones, or other people unless I want them there! Shooting an animal is a bonus, but the 1/2 of a beef is still on order every year! Moosin

sawmill
06-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Never bothered to go for one this year.The hunting is so sweet that I did not feel the need.Worst thing can happen is me and the wife get 2 whities each.Sucks to live in the EK ,don`t it.:mrgreen:

tomahawk
06-20-2010, 08:59 AM
LEH is just a broader opportunity for me, never a deterent with GOS still available.

pnbrock
06-20-2010, 09:03 AM
im not sure the moose population is on the increase ,they have taken a beating over the last few winters.increase as to gos that is.

ratherbefishin
06-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Since I'm on the Island, my hunting is confined to just one week a year ,I can't just get away for a weekend throughout the season,so the LEH definately influences where I go and what I hunt for.In practical terms while there is a GOS for an ''immature'',if I can't see one in that one week, thats my moose hunt over for the year-even though I've called in several nice bulls but had to pass.

I believe a GOS throughout the province distributes the hunting pressure over a broad area rather than confining it to one smaller GOS area which in turns increases the hunting pressure as people come from long distances just to hunt,which is counterproductive to conservation and inevitably shutting down the season to allow game populations to recover

J_T
06-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Living in the EK, there is a lot to hunt and a lot of time to hunt it. LEH wins are so few and far between they can tend to get in the way of normal planning.

Not getting LEH does not impact me negatively. Getting one does require more effort and planning.

northof49
06-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Every year, LEH comes out and every year, people complain about it.

I'm not one of the "lucky" LEH'ers....I went 10 years without a single draw and have still only had a handful of draws in my hunting career.....

But lack of LEH success has never "ruined" my hunting season. There is so much to hunt that I never was really bothered when I didn't get an LEH.

Does lack of LEH success really "ruin" your hunting season?
Hell no! But changing the system as I proposed in an earlier thread a few days ago would give you a better chance at having a crack at a sheep in the Fraser canyon, a goat in that zone you've always wanted to get at, a VI Rosie or maybe a north Peace bison if that's your fancy. I view the LEH as a bonus, and IMO, with a revamped sytem like the one I suggested it would better distribute that "bonus" opportunity thru all hunters more often so you do get a kick at the can, for that area/species you have long been hoping to get. Myself, I already can't wait for next years results, but it sure won't stop me from having everything tuned up for opening day of GOS's.

Steeleco
06-20-2010, 09:42 AM
im not sure the moose population is on the increase ,they have taken a beating over the last few winters.increase as to gos that is.

True in some parts, but I'm certain in the area I hunt they are more abundant.
That said, my plans for next year are made in this years hunting camp. If we don't pull a moose we just try harder for all the other critters, or hope for that imaginary spike fork :wink:

wunderboy
06-20-2010, 09:45 AM
Hunting season is what it is. Any leh is considered a bonus to the already generous gos we have in bc. Of course it's frustrating to get nil every year but hey I never got my 50 mil super lotto either.

Couldn't have said it better.

northof49
06-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Me niether, but the more tickets you buy the better your chances, right. Revamp the LEH. With a priority level LEH system where you would have the same number of entries per species as your priority level (# of yrs entering without a win), you have more chances of winning relative to someone who won recently or hasn't been tryin as long. Therefore less of a wait to enjoy that bonus! Man 50Mils would be nice....imagine the toys! LEH needs revamp bottom line...only my fear is when the GOV does get around to it they will frack it up and will likely be worse.

Gateholio
06-20-2010, 10:09 AM
NOPE,
Even though I'll be killing a billy up your way Gate on LEH, my season would still have been a good one. Nuttin stoppin dis guy when it comes to huntin in the counry.
CT

WHere did you get the draw?:-D

ratherbefishin
06-20-2010, 10:53 AM
I would be happy with ONE bull between three guys if it would enhance our odds rather than the current two bulls between three guys and only getting a draw once every 5 years or so

BCTRUCKER
06-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Getting a LEH draw is just a bonus hunt to me. There is just to many new places to explore.

MIKE

tristanmac
06-20-2010, 12:02 PM
first year in the leh, first year with NIL, just a longer travel to get my moose is all :)

hunterofthedeer
06-20-2010, 12:02 PM
Not for us. We didnt get our moose draw so we could drive five minutes from my house and try for an immy, or drive 4 hours north and hun any bull.

Barracuda
06-20-2010, 12:09 PM
It is a dissapointment for us as we cant hunt it without the leh.

if we were gonna live here forever it wouldnt matter as we would get another draw one day.

BCRiverBoater
06-20-2010, 01:18 PM
I did not win the 50 million. Now that is disappointing! I was so sure I was going to win it this time. I have not been drawn for so many years.

But if I had the 50 million I would not worry about the draws. I would have my dall and bighorn this year.

pg83
06-20-2010, 02:05 PM
The LEH is a bonus for me. I put in for moose and goat around my cabin every year and it's always great to get one or the other of them since I have hunted there since I was a wee babe with my pops. If I don't get my moose draw I know where else I can go to find one. We are so lucky to live (and hunt) in this province. As long as you can spare a bit of time you can have a different dream hunt every year. I put in for a few more draws as well, but those are the once in a lifetime draws that I will change my year around for. When I get NIL I am not dissapointed or shocked.

kevan
06-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Not being drawn in the LEH is just a small disappointment and as such has not ruined our hunting plans.
However, by not being drawn for anything in the last 12 years, I'm left wondering if it might be just a waste of money and maybe the time has come to give it up ?

Jelvis
06-20-2010, 03:37 PM
If you can afford only one application at a time for a season then yah it could be a rough ride for years.
Some other family every member, mom, dad, sis and brothers are entering seven each and an extra for mega chances hey yah pays the money yah takes the chances.. Lady luck and a Pick em up truck ..
Jelly Jack Danials ... Pick em Up Truck$ ... Lady Luck ... I gotta barbecue stain on my white T-Shirt.

papaken
06-20-2010, 08:38 PM
For my main trip I put in for "any bull" as everyone else I hunt with tries for cows. If I get it it's a bonus if not I'll have to hunt a little harder for those elusive immys. Besides that there are still immature moose, bear, deer, elk and chickens to hunt for during the other times I can get out. For me it's mainly about getting out with friends and family if we get anything it's a bonus.