PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Best Offroad tire?

madcarpenter
06-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Just purchased my first truck :-D, and I am looking to upgrade the tires.

Just wondering what everyone is running on their hunting rigs, and suggestions on whats Hot and whats Not!:confused:

Thanks,
Mad

peashooter
06-20-2010, 12:11 AM
depends on what you are going to encounter. mud, rock, sand, snow, fsr???

generic all purpose off road tire, bfg all terrain.

Lone Ranger
06-20-2010, 12:19 AM
Toyo Open Country MTs work well ($$$), Goodyear MT/Rs, BFG (in their assorted varieties), Interco TrXus MTs work amazing but they wear a little quick, anything quality.

Heard bad things from tire guys about Cooper tires but I've had good luck with them. Procomps are a little hit and miss I find. The list could go on for hours, there's literally dozens and dozens of brands out there and they all have their pros and cons. Those Toyos are darn good tires even though they're expensive, work well on any surface except deep sticky mud. LR

303Brit
06-20-2010, 12:36 AM
Toyo Open Country MTs work well ($$$), Goodyear MT/Rs, BFG (in their assorted varieties), Interco TrXus MTs work amazing but they wear a little quick, anything quality.

Heard bad things from tire guys about Cooper tires but I've had good luck with them. Procomps are a little hit and miss I find. The list could go on for hours, there's literally dozens and dozens of brands out there and they all have their pros and cons. Those Toyos are darn good tires even though they're expensive, work well on any surface except deep sticky mud. LR

x2 plus Goodyear Wranglers, in their assorted varieties are a very nice tire.

madcarpenter
06-20-2010, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the info/suggestions guys, keep em' coming!

The tires will be used for everything highway, mud, snow, and ice.

Thanks,
Mad

Ddog
06-20-2010, 06:57 AM
BF GOODRICH AT's one of the best, contrary to mpotzold said though.

Spokerider
06-20-2010, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the info/suggestions guys, keep em' coming!

The tires will be used for everything highway, mud, snow, and ice.

Thanks,
Mad

Therein lies the compromise.....no tire will excell in all aspects, but rather perform in all conditions moderately.

valleycowboy
06-20-2010, 07:10 AM
goodyear wrangler mt/r with the dura wall.
i've had 2 sets of these thing and they are great in mud,snow and ice.
the dura wall is virtually puncture resistant.
the only problem......they changed the tread design this year.
if you can find the old tread design.......great tire all round.

Fisher-Dude
06-20-2010, 07:17 AM
Therein lies the compromise.....no tire will excell in all aspects, but rather perform in all conditions moderately.

That's the right answer.

On my off-road truck, I run 35" BFG Mud-Terrains in the summer, and 235/85 BFG All-Terrains in the winter. That's the only way to get the best performance in all conditions.

Contrary to what's posted above, I've had ONE flat with BFGs since I started running them in 1984.

shadow1982
06-20-2010, 09:32 AM
What about tires on army vehicles.

Now i know from experence that you can shoot at them and they wont go flat.

Can you buy them for personal use?

peashooter
06-20-2010, 09:32 AM
same unless they changed the recipe for bfg's they are a good all around tire that seems to last a reasonable amount of time.

gbear
06-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Been running on Toyo M-55's for a couple years now and am very pleased with them. Prior to that, ran BFG AT's and found them good in the winter, but not in the summer if on gravel. The rubber was really soft and they were wearing really quick.

Steeleco
06-20-2010, 09:49 AM
I've been running BFG's on my Cherokee for 5 years, granted it's only on the road 1/2 the year but I'm getting decent wear for the mileage. That said, when they're tired I'm going to switch to Bridgestone Revo's.

Do some homework on the net, I use www.1010tires.com (http://www.1010tires.com)

And if your in the LML. Tom the tire guy is the ONLY store to check out. Great after sale service. My tires were cheaper installed the Costco!!

hutch
06-20-2010, 09:51 AM
pretty happy with the goodyear duratracs so far

elkhunter1
06-20-2010, 11:02 AM
I have been running Bridgestone Revo's.
for 5 years on Tundra mostly for hunting 40000 K,s
Still in great shape.
Very Happy with them.

steelheadSABO
06-20-2010, 11:32 AM
bf goodrich mud terrains or goodyear wranglers

Gilmore
06-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Another vote for BFG Mud/Terrains. IMHO they are probably the best all round off road tire ever built. They have been around forever and are still extremely popular...there is a reason for that

fuzzybiscuit
06-20-2010, 12:02 PM
There's not many guys that are harder on tires than I am. I've been running BFG's for the last 20 years with only a few slow leaks caused by nails and screws with not one blow-out. Pretty impressive considering mine are usually cut to pieces. I haven't seen another tire that can handle the shot-rock on the Island back roads as well. AT's in the winter and MT's in the summer.

pappy
06-20-2010, 12:09 PM
I've had bfg's fall apart from the inside on two sets of tires, I have a friend who had the same problem with one of his sets. I will never buy any bfg's again, They use to make a good tire but have gone downhill. I now run goodyear mtr's I've had the kevlar ones and they were good but pricey. I switched to the duratracs because of cost, they work good in the northern mud (loone sh#t) and snow. Toyo's mtr tires are also a good choice.

ytlogger
06-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Lots of good tires out there and brand characteristics seem to change from time to time. I used to hate Wranglers after having some crappy ones in the mid-eighties. A couple of years ago I decided to try the Wrangler Silent Armour. Kind of pricey, but I drive all kinds of highway, off highway and construction through four seasons and I and the guys I work with had lots of flat troubles. Since I put these on, not a one and the other guys are still getting them. Pretty good for traction and wear.

Steeleco
06-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Which ever you go with, try to make sure they have that dumb ass winter triangle, that way IF they bring in a mandatory winter tire rule your good to go.

pnbrock
06-20-2010, 12:24 PM
bfg all terrain for me longest road wear aswell as great in the snow.

JPG
06-21-2010, 12:35 AM
Goodyear DuraTracs, they're great in the snow unlike Mud tires and they have a great look to them.

GoatGuy
06-21-2010, 06:45 AM
Off-road tires, super swamper boggers. Don't last long but they sure work well.

BiG Boar
06-21-2010, 07:43 AM
Another vote for the TOYO M/T. Good on and off road. Lasts long. Have had a couple punctures, off road.

Kody94
06-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Toyo Open Country MTs for summer/mud, early winter snow etc. Get a load range E tire for max durability (35x12.5x18s for example).

I am currently running Dunlop Rover Maxx Tractions (315-70R17). They are winter rated (snowflake). Will run them through this summer and next winter and see how they are. They are a new tire as of last fall, and got some good reviews last winter.

srupp
06-21-2010, 09:34 AM
I have a set of winter deep lug tires with Studs on seperate rims for just winter..they last me 4-5 seasons..fair enough..they work awesome.

However I have used almost everything out there for my 1 ton crew cab long box..and dont get any reasonable milage just wear away..mostly ashphalt use...GENTLE GENTLE USE...and nothing lasts more than 18 months!!! considering 1/2 that they arnt even on the truck..

would like a 18" tire just for "summer"(non winter ) with a bit of life to it should get 3 years..

steven

Elkhound
06-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Had to many BFGs wear quickly on my truck. Went to Dueller Revos. Never looked back. Best AT tire I have ever used

Elkhound
06-21-2010, 10:02 AM
Check out the survey

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

Pay special attention to the miles on the tires too.

Everett
06-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Don't buy the dunlop rovers mine have 40,000 on them and they are bald probably not even legal. No flats though but they are only on a Ranger and they are ten ply.

Kody94
06-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Don't buy the dunlop rovers mine have 40,000 on them and they are bald probably not even legal. No flats though but they are only on a Ranger and they are ten ply.

Hey Everett, are yours the Maxx Tractions?

They are a popular tire around Cranny right now. :)

Schutzen
06-21-2010, 08:25 PM
http://www.dunloptires.com/dunlop/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Rover+RVXT&mrktarea=Light+Truck

I have these.
For a decent medium aggressive tire they work very well plus they are snow rated.
Crappy tire sells em every couple of months they have the buy one get 1/2 off the other.
They were cheaper than the BFG's by quite a bit.
IIRC I saved at least $300.00 over BFG.

model88
06-21-2010, 08:50 PM
For an all around tire like what you are asking for, I personnaly would try Dick Cepek FC 2II. I ran them on a truck for a year before I sold it, great all around tire.

Nitto has come out with a new tire, the Trail Grappler, not too sure about sizing, but looks like a decent all around tire. I am currently running a set of there Terra Grapplers, awesome tire, just not the greatest in the mud.

30-06
06-21-2010, 08:52 PM
Dick Cepek Fc-II
Fun Countrys Are Good Tire, Basically Bullet Proof, No Complaints

Kody94
06-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Nitto has come out with a new tire, the Trail Grappler,

Those do look good. Waiting to hear some reviews. Apparently they are quite quiet. If they hold up well, I might go for them instead of the Toyo's when I buy new MTs next spring.

killman
06-21-2010, 09:16 PM
http://www.nwjeepn.com/images/dumb/bogger.jpg

GoatGuy
06-21-2010, 09:20 PM
http://www.nwjeepn.com/images/dumb/bogger.jpg

Those are them

They run best under 2 PSI in deep snow and mud for that matter.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/toy.jpg

Before beadlocks, three blown beads in one spot. Don't leave home without the onboard air.

hunter1947
06-22-2010, 02:47 AM
Toyo has got my vote..

Phil
06-22-2010, 10:48 AM
I've now got 60,000 km on my Toyo MTs on an F350. I'll get another 5-10k before I replace them. Great tires, great traction when needed, never had a flat and maintained the correct load rating for the truck.

jml11
06-22-2010, 11:22 AM
I had 33" BFG mud-terrains on my old 3/4 ton dodge and got a lot of life out of them, even ran them through 2 full PG winters...probably not the smartest thing...at the start of the third I nearly lost the truck on a corner and quickly bought a set of winters...

Overall I got two full years plus 2 full summers out of them, probably about 75,000 to 80,000 kms. Sold the truck with them on so might have got even more? Never had a problem and they sure chewed through the mud well!

My new truck has Nitto All-terrains, came with them, and they seem to wearing faster than the BFGs and they really don't seem all that great in mud or snow.

kootenayslam
06-23-2010, 10:11 AM
i'm looking at the goodyear duratracs, looks like a decent tire, has anyone run them through a winter?

Stone Sheep Steve
06-23-2010, 12:45 PM
A good friend of mine manages a tire shop and he talked my into getting away from the BFG AT's which my truck had when I bought it.

He talked me into going with Wild Country XTX Sport. They were probably $60-70 cheaper per tire than the BFGs.....80,000 km tread life warranty and a full winter rating. Haven't used them very long but my buddy said they're getting good reviews from customers.

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/12001287/Images/1/WildCountryRadialXTXSport.JPG

SSS

srupp
06-23-2010, 03:01 PM
sss..do they come in 18 "

steven

shoot2kill
06-23-2010, 03:05 PM
I have be running dick cepic fun country II tire's for the last 6 years on my work trucks. I allways get 70,000 plus km's . The trucks are 1 ton diesels that pull 16' work trailers. My trucks get run hard and the tires perform great in all conditions.

reach
06-23-2010, 03:22 PM
He talked me into going with Wild Country XTS Sport
Do you mean XTX Sport?

Where are they made?

Stone Sheep Steve
06-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Do you mean XTX Sport?

Where are they made?

Sorry. You are correct. XTX sport. Can't remember who makes them.

SSS

huntcoop
06-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Sorry. You are correct. XTX sport. Can't remember who makes them.

SSS

http://www.tbcprivatebrands.com/multimile/viewline.asp?id=285

308Lover
06-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Go for top of the line Toyos. Michelin has an expensive top line, but many inferior lines too. Had Toyos on the front end of my suburban some time ago. Lots of mud,snow,ice, and very sharp rock--not a mark on them. I sold the suburban and the two year old tires looked like new.

You get what you pay for, generally.

308Lover
06-23-2010, 04:12 PM
I forgot to mention I run tires with 10 ply rating (very important) at 45 pounds pressure or 50 pounds on the back end with heavier loads. I only have a Chevy "heavy half ton extended cab 4 by 4" so not as hard on tires.wOULD NEVER RUN A TREAD THAT WASN'T FAIRLY AGGRESSIVE FOR MUD AND SNOW". To Hell with a bit of highway noise! LOL

Stone Sheep Steve
06-23-2010, 04:13 PM
sss..do they come in 18 "

steven

Not sure. Mine are 285/75 r16's.

Looking at their website it appears they come in 18".

Kal Tire carries them. Give them a jingle just to be sure.

SSS

Ike
06-23-2010, 11:03 PM
I put the Wild Country XTX Sport tires on one of my 'trucks' as an ALL YEAR tire. We run it on logging roads, the Chilcotin 'the hill' etc and on the highway as an all purpose tire and are very happy with it so far.
It was recommended over the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A and others(wears better) and has the official Snow Tire Rating so will handle those June and October wet snows we get on the hill better than an AT tire.
I don't go crazy offroad but will not hesitate to take this hunting.

goatdancer
06-23-2010, 11:54 PM
I have a set of winter deep lug tires with Studs on seperate rims for just winter..they last me 4-5 seasons..fair enough..they work awesome.

However I have used almost everything out there for my 1 ton crew cab long box..and dont get any reasonable milage just wear away..mostly ashphalt use...GENTLE GENTLE USE...and nothing lasts more than 18 months!!! considering 1/2 that they arnt even on the truck..

would like a 18" tire just for "summer"(non winter ) with a bit of life to it should get 3 years..

steven

Have you tried Nokian Vativas? Don't know if they come in 18" but check your local Kal Tire.

ruttinbuck
06-24-2010, 05:49 AM
I have be running dick cepic fun country II tire's for the last 6 years on my work trucks. I allways get 70,000 plus km's . The trucks are 1 ton diesels that pull 16' work trailers. My trucks get run hard and the tires perform great in all conditions.

Put a set of siped FCII on my cummins when I bought it.The shop I bought them from has a set on their service truck that they had siped to increase tread life.
The tires looked pretty much finished but they were claiming 90 000km wear,by what you get for wear I might get close.RB

Stone Sheep Steve
06-24-2010, 06:31 AM
Have you tried Nokian Vativas? Don't know if they come in 18" but check your local Kal Tire.

I asked my buddy who manages a Kal Tire about the Vativas and he said they aren't wearing particularly great. He sent me in a different direction.

SSS

frenchbar
06-24-2010, 06:37 AM
I asked my buddy who manages a Kal Tire about the Vativas and he said they aren't wearing particularly great. He sent me in a different direction.

SSS
My son works for kal as well ...and said basically the same thing about the nokian vativas.. having said that i put the vativa mud terrains on my jeep and like them alot .

igojuone
06-24-2010, 07:26 AM
I like the Michelins M/S as mpotzold stated, buddy of mine has them on his Ranger for the last 8 years, and it goes anywhere. Never a flat and their near bald.

rocketrob
06-24-2010, 11:41 AM
try the new fierce attitude m/t. goodyear makes them .i like fierce better then my bf goodrich m/t . bf goodrich all terrein are ok for the road not a tough tire had few flats.when the tread wears low the tire will start coming apart and there no good in the mud. www.fiercetires.com (http://www.fiercetires.com)

RHkootenay
06-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Love my Goodyear Duratracs so far. Ran them all winter in the EK with no problems at all.

Fisher-Dude
06-24-2010, 06:03 PM
try the new fierce attitude m/t. goodyear makes them .i like fierce better then my bf goodrich m/t . bf goodrich all terrein are ok for the road not a tough tire had few flats.when the tread wears low the tire will start coming apart and there no good in the mud. www.fiercetires.com (http://www.fiercetires.com)

Not nearly enough lateral traction on those Fierce MTs compared to the BFGs. Nor do the Fierce have good staggering of the lugs for cleaning.

BFG has some of the best "cleaning" characteristics of all the MTs, and are top rated for holding a bead when aired-down.

One advantage that Toyo 55s have is the same that loud pipes have on Harleys - people will hear you comin' for miles. Buddy had them on his F350 and you couldn't carry on a conversation in the cab without yelling. No thanks.

quicksilver
06-24-2010, 06:55 PM
I have a 2500 cummins with 35" Micky Thompson`s love this tire. 45,000km and still looking new. mud, rock snow and pave wont stop these tire`s.

madcarpenter
06-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks for all the help guys!!
I've narrowed it down to two, the duraTracs and the vativa M/T

-Mad

rocketrob
06-24-2010, 08:27 PM
the fierce m/t & bfg m/t km are what i call a light mud tire .you have to get your wheels spinning to clear them out.there lot better mud tires out there then these two tires.what i like about the fierce is its quieter on the road,better in snow,doesn't wear as fast as bfg m/t km and there cheaper.i paid $900 for 4 lt 315/75r/r16.friend of mind has a set of dunlop rover.he wish he had got the fierce instead.i like to try the bfg m/t km 2.looks like a very good tire.

rocketrob
06-24-2010, 08:51 PM
dura trac is very good tire. my dura trac wear little faster then my fierce. i use wranger dura trac for my winter tires and fierce for my summer tires.

ufishifish2
06-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Toyo M-55's are the best I have ever used, and I work in the bush every day. They are also the only tire that I have ever run in the bush and never had a flat. They are stiff riding, and hum a tiny bit on the highway, but they are the best IMHO!

peashooter
06-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Tires only account for a small percent. Drivers ability is more important.

Sauer Hunter
06-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Nitto Mud Grapler's all the way!!!!!!!!!!

MikeH
06-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Nitto Mud Grapler's all the way!!!!!!!!!!
I'm looking at getting the Nitto terra grapplers.