PDA

View Full Version : New to hunting - need first rifle

Rub
06-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Hi all

Well I am very new to hunting, and I am looking to purchase my first rifle. I am trying to do my own research so I can go into stores with a bit of an idea what I would want.

I plan on shooting mainly deer, but will have a few opportunities for moose and elk.

I am also wanting to buy something of relatively decent quality - I would like this to be an investment, not just a toy.

Right now I have narrowed down my choices to a Tikka T3 Hunter - 300 wsm (walnut and stainless) and a Browning X-bolt 300 wsm.

I don't have a lot of shooting experience, but I do know I like a bolt action, and I am not afraid of the recoil. I have shot my husbands 45-70, a few different 300's and a 7mm, and I enjoy them all.

just wondering if anyone has any other info that I might want to think about before making a purchase. I am only 5'1'' so size and feel are going to be a huge factor.

Any opinions of info would be appreciated

Thanks,
Kristal

bforce750
06-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Maybe you should ask your husband,he might get offended if you dont :biggrin:

NitwiT
06-19-2010, 02:26 PM
wheres our joke?

Rub
06-19-2010, 02:28 PM
LOL yes he might! He will have a say in this for sure, but I would like to have an idea of what might be good for me as well. Dont want to forget anything I should be considering.

little moose
look at youth models there much shorter even then if there too long you can get your local gunsmith to size it for you

Rub
Joke NitwiT?

bforce750
06-19-2010, 02:31 PM
LOL yes he might! He will have a say in this for sure, but I would like to have an idea of what might be good for me as well. Dont want to forget anything I should be considering.

I would personaly go with the tikka,I have a 300wsm and a 270 wsm,they are affordable and they shoot well,the only downside is the plastic clip.but on the other hand it doesn't make them shoot worse.

tristanmac
06-19-2010, 02:34 PM
I personally like the x-bolt, the 30-06 might be a good gun for you?

Rub
06-19-2010, 02:36 PM
I have had a hard time finding a 30.06 anywhere around. What would the advantages of that be over a 300 wsm?

d6dan
06-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Kristal, maybe look at a 270 win, 280 rem, 7mm-08, somewhere along that line in a "Quality rifle". You will do fine with minimal recoil from these. I'm sure you will here more from other members..Good hunting and shoot straight.

tristanmac
06-19-2010, 03:09 PM
size and weight wise the 30-06 and the 300 wsm will be roughly the same. ammo for the 06 will be cheaper. there both good calibers but if I were hunting mainly deer id go with the 30-06, it will still take down a moose no problem how ever....

Casagrande
06-19-2010, 03:28 PM
After a little researching I bought the Winchester Model 70 "Extreme Weather" stainless 300wsm. Definitely worth a look.

buck nash
06-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Nothing wrong with the browning but I'd pick the t3. They're really nice guns for the money. I'd probably go for an '06 though. It's enough gun for anything short of bison and ammmo is cheaper, always availiabe, comes in a huge variety of loads and doesn't kick quite so hard. I know you said you're not afraid of recoil but if you're shooting it a lot, (and you should before hunting with it) it makes a diference.

peashooter
06-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Agreed, the 30-06 and similar rounds are quite capable. You mention kick doesn't bother you but with your size, and choosing a mag, you may develop a flinch. That will lead to spraying shots all over the target. Just a thought.

Rub
06-19-2010, 04:38 PM
I would really like the .06 but I can't find it in walnut and stainless, and that is a must for me. Maybe that's girly but if I am going to spend over a thousand bucks on a gun, I want her to look puuurdy ;o)

yukon john
06-19-2010, 04:42 PM
both are good choices, but i would pick the t3, my wife shoots mine in a 338 mag. I have used t3s for several years and love them. they are imo the ''best bag for your buck'' and you wont regret buying one

Rub
06-19-2010, 04:42 PM
I was concerned about that too peashooter, but so far I have been pretty steady. But that is something I will have to consider. Thanks

mctwist
06-19-2010, 04:54 PM
I think the model 700 XCR II is worth a look personally like it in the 7mm because i believe the balistics to be comparable to the that of the .300wm but with less recoil. Altho .300 will have more knock down power, so the choice is yours! Good luck

tristanmac
06-19-2010, 05:51 PM
I would really like the .06 but I can't find it in walnut and stainless, and that is a must for me. Maybe that's girly but if I am going to spend over a thousand bucks on a gun, I want her to look puuurdy ;o)

you should be able to find a 30-06 in pretty much any style and make of rifle, you just might have to have it ordered in..

Rymar
06-19-2010, 06:17 PM
x-bolt 30-06 my choice

killman
06-19-2010, 06:39 PM
If I had to do it again and pick just one rifle to start, even though I have never owned one. It would me a 7mm-08, I think it is the caliber.

seatoskymiles
06-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Love my tikka T-3 in a 30-06 good bang for the buck and not a bad kick,

darrin6109
06-21-2010, 04:32 PM
tikka t3 7mm mag

NaStY
06-21-2010, 04:43 PM
I have a t3 in 25-06, 7mm-08 and 300wm. All of them shoot very well and will take down anything in BC. Although I wouldn't use the 2 smaller ones for grizzly.

7mm-08, 280, anything in that range would be a great first rifle...........

moosinaround
06-21-2010, 05:08 PM
A 308win??? 7-08?? 270win?? 280 rem??? 30'06??? You don't need a magnum, you may shoot a magnum ok, but you want to shoot the rifle like it is an extension of your arm. A non magnum cartridge will be better for a smaller stature person to shoot exceptionally instead of well! Moosin

Schutzen
06-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Rub
Tikka T-3 would be my choice but in 30-06.

Pick out a good quality scope have a gunsmith install it.

The key thing for most gals is they need to fit the length of pull to their specs.
So when u get the scope mounted u put on the same clothes u would wear normally for hunting and see how much needs to be trimmed from the stock.
The gunsmith will then cut the stock down for u and get him to install a Limb-saver recoil pad.. NOT the stock one. (cuts recoil 35%)
(u can show him this printout and he'll understand whats needed)

Now ur pretty well set cept for choice of loads.
If ur going to hunt up to Moose and not reload get some 165 gr shells.
165 gr gives the optimum ballistic/recoil performance in the 06 provided u shoot em where they need to go.
Don't cheap out on the ammo.. u want a decent quality bullet.
A bonded type would be the least u should prolly consider.

My hunting buddy has an old 06 Browning that shoots 165 gr Hornady interlocks ( I reloaded for him) well and has killed everything shot with it very efficiently that includes several moose.

Last of all go out with ur hubby and shoot a .22 LR a lot. Practice with it from hunting type shooting positions.
If u shoot the big rifle off the bench take ur time and if u start to get sore quit and come back another day. Wear top notch hearing protection!
I'm sure ur hubby prolly knows the ropes and the two of u will have a great time doin this.:-D
Best o luck.
Cheers

Rub
06-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses. I have been out holding and playing with a few but a just can't seem to find anything that fits me nicer than a Tikka. I think that's the way I will go but I will look more before I make my decision.

Kristal

BiG Boar
06-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Tikka in 30/06 would be what I would sugest. Can always re sell as they are good reliable guns. Less kick, so less chance to develope a flinch, and cheaper ammo. Will kill anything in north america.

steelheadSABO
06-21-2010, 08:23 PM
gun don't matter but as calibers go i'd go for a 308 winchester never look back no need to buy another gun
I laugh at the idea of magnums everybody knows there just classic cartridges belted and made to look bigger and in 50 years while i'm still killing animals "far too big for a 308's power" you'll be stuck there with your useless gun because you can't find ammo anywhere. Bigger and better come and go but the classics are forever

moosinaround
06-21-2010, 08:59 PM
gun don't matter but as calibers go i'd go for a 308 winchester never look back no need to buy another gun
I laugh at the idea of magnums everybody knows there just classic cartridges belted and made to look bigger and in 50 years while i'm still killing animals "far too big for a 308's power" you'll be stuck there with your useless gun because you can't find ammo anywhere. Bigger and better come and go but the classics are forever
Um................................................ ............a 300 winchester Magnum introduced in the 60's is classified as a classic cartridge. I will be shooting mine till they pry it out of my cold dead hands!! Moosin

brian
06-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Rub, a lot of shooters flinch and don't know it. The recoil covers the flinch. So a new shooter won't notice whether a group size is because of the equipment or because of the shooter. The inclination is to blame the equipment. As a new shooter you will be much more likely to develop a flinch if you go strait for the big magnums. Also given that you are fairly small and I am assuming will need a smaller lighter rifle, the magnums will kick that much harder. Ammo price is also something to think about. Unless you are a born shooter (which most of us aren't), you will want to get out and practice lots. The magnums are way more expensive to feed than standard calibers and make practice more cost prohibitive. So if I were giving my two cents I would say stick with a standard caliber like 270, 30-06, 308. These calibers will kill everything on your list just fine.

Rub
06-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks Brian. Well my dad just told me he is going to give me his old 308 so that will be a nice start for me although I will still also buy my own rifle in the next few weeks. If I could get the 30-06 in walnut and stainless inthe Tikka I think it would be a done deal but I can't find it anywhere. I will be out shooting tonight and tomorrow night at the range with a 300, 7mm, 308 and 30-06 so it will be nice to compare them all.

tristanmac
06-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks Brian. Well my dad just told me he is going to give me his old 308 so that will be a nice start for me although I will still also buy my own rifle in the next few weeks. If I could get the 30-06 in walnut and stainless inthe Tikka I think it would be a done deal but I can't find it anywhere. I will be out shooting tonight and tomorrow night at the range with a 300, 7mm, 308 and 30-06 so it will be nice to compare them all.

If your close to a wholesale sports, go there, they will have a good selection and if its not on the rack they should be able to get it in within a few weeks.

fester
06-22-2010, 03:45 PM
try p&d they have lots of tikkas
check out gunnutz there are always good quality used firearms there as well.

tierodrl
06-22-2010, 04:07 PM
my best friends wife shoots a 7mm-08 and loves it and so does my friend because he takes her rifle any time he can

Rub
06-24-2010, 08:50 AM
Well last night I went to the range and shoot a few rifles. Shot a 30-06, a 300, a 3.08 and then a few rounds on the 45. Prob about 25 shots in all and let's just say I am really going to consider the 270. My arm is pretty sore today. Mind you I also shot the 22 and maybe a dozen pulls on the 12 guage. But I could feel myself struggling the last 1/4 of the night. I will go back out in a couple weeks when my shoulder is pain free and try a 270 and see how that feels.

Also, I learned a great lesson while at the range. A few guys came in and where shooting beside us. They had a new 270 they were putting there first box of shells through. But they weren't paying attention and loaded a 3.08 shell and pushed it through. After he shot there was a huge cloud. The shooter was hit in the face with something. And the bullet or part was still lodged in the barrel. Everyone there was very lucky nothing worse happened and it was a great lesson on just how diligant you have to be.

killman
06-24-2010, 09:00 AM
Yikes, scary deal! The .270 is a great Cal, although I had one in a Browning A bolt that was miserable to shoot. It was quite light. My new .260 rem is a dream to shoot. You can shoot it all day long. It would kill anything a .270 would.

grumps
06-24-2010, 11:27 AM
rem 700bdl in .270 I've shot moose,elk,acouple of blackies and lots of deer . My grandson now shoots it with no problems,he's 5ft around 90lbs. try it good luck

d6dan
06-24-2010, 11:37 AM
I am really going to consider the 270.

I shoot a 270win in a Ruger M77 with a factory pad. I homeload for it and have to say it shoots real nice with minimal recoil..
Let us know how your next shoot goes.

Roots
06-24-2010, 11:39 AM
If you want a stainless / walnut stock combo, there's also the Remington 700 CDL SF... a bit more expensive than a Tikka, but that's a heck of a nice looking rifle.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-cdl-sf.aspx

Rub
06-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks roots. Looks great. I will check that out as well.

Rub
06-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Boy there are too many guns out there!! Went backowns looked at the browning xbolt in the 30-06. Feels great in my hand. Action is really smooth. Like that you can reload with the safety on. And it's both in my price range and in stock at the local gunstore and I am a big believer in shopping locally. They said it has very similar kick to the 270.

lightmag
06-24-2010, 06:01 PM
X bolt is lean and mean, feels very light with great balance!! 23" barrel in the 300 WSM makes it a very compact, light unit. the new recoil pad is awsome and makes recoil feel very light. Trigger is a step up from the tikka (i feel), the laminatetikka is slighty heavier. The magazine on the browning is far smoother than the tikka as well. browning also has the nice feature of the bolt being able to open when the safety is engaged, very safe. go handle them both, i'll bet you lean towards the X bolt too.

ROM
06-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Sounds like some great advice.

I think the 30-06 is a great first gun. The 270 is good too. The magnums can be a disaster if someone has recoil sensitivity. Premium bullets like the tsx allow for smaller cartridges to be used more effectively.

Enjoy

R

BimmerBob
06-24-2010, 06:45 PM
You might want to consider a 338 Federal, I have been doing some reading and they look like a pretty nice all around rifle for this province. Nothing they should not be able to knock down out to 250 yards and very efficient in consumables if you are reloading. Not too much recoil and nice ballistics.

And, if it is good enough for Tod Bartell, it should be good enough for anybody!

Schutzen
06-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Rub
I see the Browning X-bolt stainless can be had in 280 Remington.
That is the 30-06 cartridge slightly necked down from .308 to .284 .
The range of bullets is pretty good too in that it can run good hunting bullets in 140 gr to 160 gr and recoil is decent.
A local lady I know took a fantastic Roosevelt Elk up Island bout 10 yrs ago with that same cartridge and rifle IIRC.
The 7mm-08 is very similar but it can be had in shorter action variants from some manuf.

BiG Boar
06-24-2010, 06:51 PM
If you have shoulder pain that usually developes you a nice flinch because you try to absorb recoil with your arms rather than just letting it hit you. You tend to grip the rifle firmer and you start to flinch.

I would look at the tikka in stainless and camo, looks cool and is light and easy to carry. 7-08mm 270 or 260 rem are all great choices for you.

eaglesnester
06-28-2010, 08:14 AM
Hi all

Well I am very new to hunting, and I am looking to purchase my first rifle. I am trying to do my own research so I can go into stores with a bit of an idea what I would want.

I plan on shooting mainly deer, but will have a few opportunities for moose and elk.

I am also wanting to buy something of relatively decent quality - I would like this to be an investment, not just a toy.

Right now I have narrowed down my choices to a Tikka T3 Hunter - 300 wsm (walnut and stainless) and a Browning X-bolt 300 wsm.

I don't have a lot of shooting experience, but I do know I like a bolt action, and I am not afraid of the recoil. I have shot my husbands 45-70, a few different 300's and a 7mm, and I enjoy them all.

just wondering if anyone has any other info that I might want to think about before making a purchase. I am only 5'1'' so size and feel are going to be a huge factor.

Any opinions of info would be appreciated

Thanks,
KristalWhat ever rifle you do buy, if the stock is of injected molded plastic (tupperware) avoid it. They are not stiff enough to be precise and accurate. Ensure that the stock is of laid up fiberglass with a aluminium full lenght bedding block inside the stock. This adds strength and stops flex and inaccuracy when the rifle is touched off. If you have a wood stock this appears not to be a problem. A stock with a full length bedding block will be more expensive for sure. Take a look at the Weatherby Acumark in 300 Weatherby Magnum at around $1700 bucks at Wholesale Sports. You do need to throw this rifle up into shooting position before you consider it to ensure length of pull is ok for your size. This rifle is not a toy by any means. It has a full length 26 inch cold hammer forged barrel, (most of the toys come with 22 inch barrels). With a full length 26 inch barrel you will get the full benefit of full muzzle velocity from the powder in your cartridge. This means that you launch you bullet at a faster speed, hence longer range. This rifle will be a 1000 yard shooter. It also has the CNC machined aluminium bedding plate in the stock. I guarantee you will not be dissappointed with this Weatherby. True it is expensive but it is right up there with the best of the best. I own a 300 Weatherby and I get 3 inch groups at 400 measured yards all day long with Burger 190 gr bullets. Good luck with your quest.

Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

brian
06-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Is this the best advice to be giving a new hunter and shooter? You've advocated for a very expensive magnum before they even have enough experience to know what they want in rifle. Advocating an inexperienced shooter to pick up a rifle like that is like advocating for a new rider to buy the biggest baddest fastest crotch rocket they can find. Sure they may grow into the bike, but more than likely they'll get into trouble before they do. Obviously they won't wind up plastered all over the pavement with the rifle, but more likely they'll just become piss poor shooters trying to overcome a nasty flinch.

I say pick up a rifle that feels right to you. As you learn to shoot and hunt you'll learn what you like and don't like. Then you can look at buying some new more expensive toys or modifying what you already own.

dougster
06-28-2010, 05:03 PM
if you look at whore sale sports they have a great deal on a savage arms combo, includes a scope just a little 3x9x40 but the whole package is only 469$ it comes in 270, 30-06, 7mm... and so on. it seems like a good deal and everything i have read on it is positive. im going to get it im just struggling between getting the 7mm and the 270

eaglesnester
06-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Is this the best advice to be giving a new hunter and shooter? You've advocated for a very expensive magnum before they even have enough experience to know what they want in rifle. Advocating an inexperienced shooter to pick up a rifle like that is like advocating for a new rider to buy the biggest baddest fastest crotch rocket they can find. Sure they may grow into the bike, but more than likely they'll get into trouble before they do. Obviously they won't wind up plastered all over the pavement with the rifle, but more likely they'll just become piss poor shooters trying to overcome a nasty flinch.

I say pick up a rifle that feels right to you. As you learn to shoot and hunt you'll learn what you like and don't like. Then you can look at buying some new more expensive toys or modifying what you already own. If you would have carefully read her post, she is already familar with a 300 magnum and is not at all recoil shy. So whats the problem? She wants a good rifle. In order to get a GOOD rifle these days you have to spend over a thousand dollars, most of em are garbage.
Eaglesnester

brian
06-28-2010, 08:47 PM
I did read that, I've also seen plenty of people at the range who say they are not recoil shy who have big guns and big flinches. With shooting I would always advocate a shooter learn on a lighter caliber until they know they have good basic shooting skills. Its clear from Rubs posts that she does not know much about shooting yet.

Rub
06-30-2010, 11:15 PM
I went with the browning x-bolt 30-06. I pick it up Friday. I'll report back after I've got to play a bit.

BimmerBob
06-30-2010, 11:28 PM
I went with the browning x-bolt 30-06. I pick it up Friday. I'll report back after I've got to play a bit.

Nice choice Rub, while I would have gone with the .308 in the same rifle as it is a little lower recoil, that 30-06 is going to be a great rifle for you. Looking forward to hearing how you make out with it. :-D

brian
07-01-2010, 01:29 PM
I was very tempted by the x-bolt when they came out... felt so nice in the hands.

Rub
07-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Well I picked it up Sunday and went out to get it sighted in. I am so happy with my choice. I will take it to the range Wednesday night to really sight it in as it was pretty darn close right out of the box. It's so smooth. So light. And the kick is so mild.

There were only 2 problems. 1) the bolt wouldnt go down with one shell. I took it out and it was a bit larger at the base. Is this something that's common, for a shell to be out of spec? And 2) everyone wanted to shoot it, so all I could here was cha ching. Cha ching. Cha ching. Now I feel bad for all the times I've shot my friends rifles. When you have to buy the ammo yourself it hurts ;)

Schutzen
07-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Well I picked it up Sunday and went out to get it sighted in. I am so happy with my choice. I will take it to the range Wednesday night to really sight it in as it was pretty darn close right out of the box. It's so smooth. So light. And the kick is so mild.

There were only 2 problems. 1) the bolt wouldnt go down with one shell. I took it out and it was a bit larger at the base. Is this something that's common, for a shell to be out of spec? And 2) everyone wanted to shoot it, so all I could here was cha ching. Cha ching. Cha ching. Now I feel bad for all the times I've shot my friends rifles. When you have to buy the ammo yourself it hurts ;)

Rub
Congrats on ur new rifle I hope its everything u wanted and more.
When u finally get to blood it make sure u put up a thread with the story.
Seems to happen a little more frequently these days.
Thats why a smart hunter always function tests every single round they take hunting with them.
If ur just practicing aat 1st u can always go with the blue box stuff till its time to hunt.:mrgreen:
All the best.
Cheers
S

Buckster
07-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Great choice for a do all rifle. And if you ever forget your bullets at home, if they sell bullets they will sell yours. There are not many rifles that have taken more game of all kinds than the good old 06. The only suggestion I would make is make sure you have a nice reasonably light trigger pull with little or no creep. I like mine around 2-2.5 lbs for saftey sake when hunting. Most factory rifles come with very heavy often poorly adjusted triggers. I'm not sure if yours is adjustable, weather it is or isn't, get a good gunsmith to do a trigger job for you, and you will see, and feel the diffrence.

Buckster