PDA

View Full Version : Loon Lake, Clinton, Scottie Creek FSR Terrain

Spokerider
06-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Looking for some input please, from those that have hunted here.

What is the terrain like? Open? Bluffs? Thick trees? Logged off? Rocky? Is the undergrowth such that a man can hike through and still make good time? Steep? Not so steep? What are the predominant trees species?

I`m not talking the terrain at the roads edge, but a few kms back in and off roads......hiking in.

Is there lots of crown land to access, or is it one ranch after another along the FSR`s?

Any guide or outfitters using the area in Dec?

Lastly, what is the deer population like? And the same for wolves.......multiple packs around? Or relatively few?

Thanks for the input, I`ve never explored this part of BC.

huntergirl270
06-19-2010, 09:21 AM
Just got back from there... Tons of deer, beer, moose AND wolf tracks all over. Saw several bear including a cinnamon and tons of deer. Huge wolf tracks on the FSR's traveling in packs. Lots of moose sign as well. All the terrain you mention above is what you will find. Lots of crown land but bring a gps as there are a buttload of FSR's all over and you can get turned around really quick. Not sure about the guide usage.

Trevorg
06-19-2010, 11:39 AM
your gonna find every kind of terrain you can think of, and yes there is at least one guide in the area and probably more. mostly coniferous forest but even with the varied terrain its all hikeable ( i hike it anyway )

digger dogger
06-19-2010, 11:52 AM
pretty good terrain all around, all as you described but not nearly the blow down and thick shit you'll find on the coast.. pretty easy to get around in dec/jan, with 4 chains, a winch and a few shovels. while off the roads a few k's you can pick and choose how you get around while chasing. if the dog trail goes through some ugly crap, it's easy to go around it.(most times)..
the wolves are getting really thick out that way.. i would hate to leave my dogs out there over night, and it has happend.. uneasy sleep!!
-desert, to thick forest in a few k's, but nothing like the coast thick..
dave

Spokerider
06-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the info, it helps.

We hunted Red Lake north of Kamloops area last Dec. seeing lots of wolf sign, some so fresh the buggers just had to be minutes away.......wouldn`t even let the mutts out of the box to pee at times.

Nice country, but with lots of ranches and private land, you had to put the miles on to get to the crown land.

BlacktailStalker
06-21-2010, 08:41 AM
Loon lake, Scottie and Clinton is laced with wolves.

Brew
06-21-2010, 08:54 AM
All the terrain you listed you will see driving up scottie creek. Lots of deer around. Lots of wolves. I really like it there. Its a nice place to hunt. Tree species include pine(a couple types) and fir.

LeverActionJunkie
06-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Scottie Creek has been hunted pretty hard. If you go up around thanksgiving to any of these areas it is just a gong show. As others have said all types of terrain, game and predators.

Brew
06-21-2010, 09:07 AM
I was there last thanksgiving and we pulled two deer out. I know it has been busy in past years but last year we were the only hunter that weekend hunting the first 15 km off the highway. Lots of little bucks around but if you get off the roads and glass or just park your ass you will see the bigger ones.

LeverActionJunkie
06-21-2010, 09:16 AM
I agree brew the farther from the truck the better the chance of success.