PDA

View Full Version : deer breast bone, to split or not to split?

BOOTS!
06-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Hey gang, just reading through some books and watching some videos over the past few evenings.

When cleaning a deer, do you split open the breast bone of the animal? What are your reasons for or for not splitting it open?

From what I see it appears much easier to clean the animal split open, but does this affect the potential for a nice mount?

Gateholio
06-18-2010, 07:45 PM
If you are going to mount it, you should remove the cape before cutting into the breastbone!:-D

I rarely split breastbones int he field. Maybe once skinned and hung I might.

Mostly I use the gutless method these days

peashooter
06-18-2010, 07:53 PM
i split if no mount is being done. easier access to the goods.

Steeleco
06-18-2010, 08:06 PM
I tend to remove it. I pull the knife through the cartilage on either side. It takes a little practice but it's quick as can be.

Caveman
06-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Not so much on deer but elk and moose for access to field dressing

358win
06-18-2010, 09:51 PM
I tend to remove it. I pull the knife through the cartilage on either side. It takes a little practice but it's quick as can be.

Like Steeleco said. slightly either side of center with a knife big enough to double hand. But then I haven't taken anything big enough to cape yet :mrgreen:

Bow Walker
06-19-2010, 10:38 AM
I have never had the need to split the breast bone on any of the deer that I've killed. Being from the Island, they just don't get that big.

huntcoop
06-19-2010, 07:24 PM
....Mostly I use the gutless method these days

Indeed, that's the best method.

finish
06-19-2010, 08:11 PM
it makes it easier to gut, and also opens the animal up more to help it cool down

cavebear
06-19-2010, 08:22 PM
take in to concideration how you will be packing or dragging your animal out of the bush. The more you open it up the more potential there is for dirt debris even just road dust getting into the cavaity. Personaly i do as little to the animal as possible until i get it home. Dont want any meat to spoil:-D

pete_k
06-19-2010, 08:42 PM
I've always split the breast bone. It's mostly cartlidge anyway. Easy to do with a good knife. (wt and muley)
Makes it easier to cut the wind pipe up high.

BOOTS!
06-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Thanks for all the replies. -IF- i get lucky this fall, I need to know the "okay now what" process.

take in to concideration how you will be packing or dragging your animal out of the bush. The more you open it up the more potential there is for dirt debris even just road dust getting into the cavaity. Personaly i do as little to the animal as possible until i get it home. Dont want any meat to spoil:-D

This is what I was thinking too. If I have to drag the animal back to the truck, won't it get full of debris and dirt.

Does anyone have a good video on the gutless method?

huntcoop
06-19-2010, 09:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMa44W5jNDA&feature=related :mrgreen:

huntcoop
06-19-2010, 09:47 PM
...Does anyone have a good video on the gutless method?

http://www.realoutdoorproductions.com/2008vids/feilddressing/feilddressing.html

moosinaround
06-19-2010, 09:50 PM
If you are packing it out on your back, better do the gutless. If you can get a quad in, I will split it, as I do like the Bone in steaks, specially the chops off the mulie! I almost always split a moose, specially if it is an early season animal, I will open up along the ribcage and front quarters, and split the pelvis too. Moosin

peashooter
06-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Huntcoop I never get tired of seeing that. It's effin hilarious. Only would a bunch of hillbillies find humour in this trajedy. I love the guy ralphing in the background.

huntcoop
06-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Huntcoop I never get tired of seeing that. It's effin hilarious. Only would a bunch of hillbillies find humour in this trajedy. I love the guy ralphing in the background.

So true, I giggle every time I watch that clip. The guys laughs are infectious......ya can't help but laugh.