PDA

View Full Version : Spatsizi Moose/Caribou Combo

SHEDHEAD
06-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Looking for any help on the one and only Spatsizi! Should I get in from Air or Water? Coming in from the west side, how far of a hike to Coldfish Lk. Do I have other options? I like the idea of walking the Stikine River in. ??????

CHEERS!

40incher
06-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Spatsizi is a huge wilderness area.

Walking in to hunt moose and caribou is not really an option. Coldfish would be a 2-day walk minimum, and walking the Stikine is a no go.

Fly-in options would be some of the small lakes west of Laslui in late August and early September. Caribou bulls are moving from Fire Flats and Buckinghorse Lake towards the Tomias Plateau north of Laslui. Later on in September caribou can be found gathering for the rut on the plateau north of Coldfish and on the Tomias plateau. The Blackfox Creek trail provides access from the Coldfish Camp, there are cabins there for rent from BC Parks. Moose are found in all areas of the Park but the best time for them is from mid to late September during the rut.

Check our your flying costs from Tatogga Lake first.

SHEDHEAD
06-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Dude, That help's out bigtime! What would the cost be for a fly in from Tatogga. I feel this would be my best bet to get the animal out. Should I contact North Pacific Sea Planes or someone else? What about the jet boat option? I feel this is a chance of a lifetime and I want to make the best of it.

Thanks!

ufishifish2
06-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Great info 40incher. Thanks much!!

pmj
06-18-2010, 07:18 PM
Shead head,
Interesting name.
It is a good thing you joined this sight today after getting your caribou/moose draw in Spatsizi. Lots of helpful information here from experienced Spatsizi hunters. I would hate to see you waste your time trying to go in with a quad. Good luck with packing out your moose and caribou.

Keep an eye out for the guy that disappeared up there on his solo hunt about 6 years ago. As you are hiking in you may find the remnants of his camp.

25tikka
06-18-2010, 08:28 PM
A flight to coldfish is about $825.00. Great camp as cabins are cheap. Pm me if you want details