PDA

View Full Version : big horn region 3 and 5

270WIN
06-17-2010, 09:46 PM
just wondering if any one take advantage of the G/O season on full curl big horn in region 3-32 and 5-2 5-3 and 5-4. Well since no leh draw this year I am thinking of trying a hike in trip in one of these regions for a big horn or a crack at a mule deer I am not looking for any ones honey holes as i probly have a better chance of a sheep hunter giving me a winning loto ticket just looking for some pointers of the area and some picture of some lucky hunters in these regions

bruin
06-17-2010, 09:58 PM
That might be a tough one to get info on. I've gone into the Shulaps once, spent a little time around Lytton to Spences but so have alot of guys. I haven't spent enough time there to give any worthwhile pointers. You may benefit from talking to some bio's or researching that way. Probably going to take some serious boot leather and lots of time. Should be a fun adventure though. Its beautiful country for sure. Best of luck.

bighornbob
06-18-2010, 08:59 AM
I have hunted the northern area of 3-17, 3-31 and 3-32 on and off for over 10 years for sheep and have seen tons of rams but only two full curls, maybe 3. I also know of another 3 full curls taken in the area (one being the new BC record). The thing to remember is that California bighorns tend to broom their horns quite early (around 4-5 years of age) and may never be full curl again. I took this picture 2 years ago in 3-32.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture_029.jpg

Although it seems there are few crankers, there was one small furl curl in the bunch and another big guy that was too close to call legal or not. The big guy was killed the following week by the outfitter. That is another problem of the area, rams like the big guy are open for the outfitters and the LEH tag holders under the 3/4 rule on Sept. 20. So even though he was very close, I knew he probably would not survive the season. So its not like you find one that is close and you hope to find him next year and he should be legal, becuase he may be killed under the 3/4 rule.

But like I said they do exist, a couple of the rams I mentioned as full curls were killed in the last week of the season so they made it through the outfitter and the guys with LEH's.

The chances are low for any sheep hunt but finding a full curl cali is probably even harder. But I head there every year as its sheep hunting. I could watch a band of 3/4 curls all day, and the country they live in is spectacular to be in.

Anywhere along the fraser breaks can hold sheep. Just go have a look and you will see trails all over the country. I have spotted sheep in the timber about a km from the river and right it down next to feeding on the willows. The country can get stinking hot (close to 40 degrees last year during the first week) but that does not seem to bother the sheep. Some will bed under the shade of a tree whil another band member will bed in the full sun 10ft away. I have also watched them not get a drink of water for a couple days in a row.

The breaks can be tough to hunt as there are a million gullies heading down to the river before it gets to the drop to the river. A lot of times I have seen sheep feeding on the grassy benches and head to the sandy cliffs right above the Frase to bed for the day. Not sure if its for predaturs or to escape the heat and there is always a nice breeze coming down the water. Mind you the breeze can be hot air:mrgreen:

The sheep numbers dropped quite a bit a few years ago but have been coming back slowly. The sheep are out there but it is also big country, go have alook and you will fall in love with it.

BHB

06-18-2010, 10:01 AM
just wondering if any one take advantage of the G/O season on full curl big horn in region 3-32 and 5-2 5-3 and 5-4. Well since no leh draw this year I am thinking of trying a hike in trip in one of these regions for a big horn or a crack at a mule deer I am not looking for any ones honey holes as i probly have a better chance of a sheep hunter giving me a winning loto ticket just looking for some pointers of the area and some picture of some lucky hunters in these regions

I think your chance might exist if you're willing to hike into the river breaks near Lone Cabin Creek. You might have to hike all the way from the Big Bar ferry if you don't have a jet boat. We used to be able to drive into French Bar creek along the west side then hike to Lone Cabin from there. There were lots of good rams back in there, but finding a full curl Cali in an area with a 3/4 curl LEH is not going to be easy.

The rams bed up on the breaks watching the river and it's hard to work your way up from the river without them spotting you, we used to come at them from the top in the timber, we never did get one, but we did see rams that were possibly full curl, there just wasn't enough cover to get near them. That was all back in the early '90's so access options may have changed a lot since then.

06-18-2010, 10:04 AM
BHB is nailing the issue with the Sheep in 3 and 5.
Few Fulls are taken, and the Outfitters know long before any one where and who is close to a shooter. I too have spent some time in this country. It is as said an awesome place, not to say you won't find one being full, but it is a tough place to start, brooming, pressure, competition. Quite frankly, I would love to be able to nail one of these boyz, but the odds are too low to find a full, so until I draw a 3/4 permit my sheep efforts go else where.
Good luck to you though.
CT

huntcoop
06-18-2010, 11:33 AM
...That was all back in the early '90's so access options may have changed a lot since then.

That's an understatement.

boxhitch
06-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Good post BHB.
Numbers are growing and sheep are being spotted in non-traditional areas.
Maybe the 3/4 opportunities will go up some day ..........hahahahahahha

mark
06-18-2010, 09:37 PM
I also second everything BHB said! Ive hunted that country for years, from above, and by jet boat.
Ive seen tons of sheep, but few that break the 3/4 mark, Ive never seen one even close to full curl.
last time I was there there was 8 jet boats with hunters, talking with other guys, most of us all seen the same sheep in the same places....if there was a legal ram it would of died the day before!
Awesome country though, something everyone should see in their life!

Buck
06-18-2010, 10:20 PM
I have hunted the Fraser ,Big Bar, Churn Creek for sheep you will see lots but not fullcurl.Saw some nice Full curls in November after hunting season and during the rut not sure where they are during hunting season though.I think the area zone 5 around Chilko lake might have better odds some of these guys have hunted there and may chime in.

swampthing
06-19-2010, 07:49 AM
Head in and hunt sheep for the adventure and the country but the odds are tough. I have spent many days in the area hunting deer with a sheep tag in the pack. As stated the 3/4 curls are seen but the fulls have never been in my binos. I put in for the draw every year.

srupp
06-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Region 5 Calies are over 80%died off...and the remaining groups of rams are indeed sacttered wide and far..the on egroup has set up housekeeping 10 miles from where they have been for the past 3 years (minus 1 ram)

I do know of 5 maybe 6 groups of legal Calies but spread...and they have REALLY grown to love that timber..:wink:

Steven

boxhitch
06-19-2010, 01:36 PM
srupp, the reg 5 moe staff are quite happy with the resurgence in the population. They are not interested in having any more translocated to the region.