PDA

View Full Version : Grizz success in the draw, but not the area I wanted

afors
06-17-2010, 08:27 PM
So... I won a Grizzly tag for 7-40, unfortunately I did not enter for this area. And before you ask, I checked NO for substitute hunt. Regardless somehow they saw fit to award me this draw. So... now I have won this hunt and am not sure what to do.

I put in for Grizzly only in the areas we will be moose hunting and the guys I hunt with are not interested in going for a separate Grizzly hunt. (Especially one so far away). I am not experienced enough to head out on my own yet I hate to waste a draw.

Can I call the ministry and have it re-issued to someone who will use it? I don't want to call if they won't.

I am open to suggestions and advise... not looking for pinheaded criticism or smart a$$ comments.

moosinaround
06-17-2010, 09:07 PM
I am open to suggestions and advise... not looking for pinheaded criticism or smart a$$ comments.[/quote]
Guess I am out of this discussion, I had a good smarta$$ comment too!!!:eek::eek: Moosin

todbartell
06-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Pretty simple, dont buy a tag and dont go gbear hunting in 7-40

Steeleco
06-17-2010, 09:12 PM
At the very least call them and see if they shed some light on how you ended up where you are? It is a shame not to make use of an LEH tag, but sometime stuff happens beyond our control.

todbartell
06-17-2010, 09:17 PM
odds were 0.4:1 in 2009. Likely the same this year. Anybody who wanted that zone got their tag

moosinaround
06-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Long ways away, vehicle restrictions, First Nations issues, makes it tough to attract hunters, specially from the lower mainland!

afors
06-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks, you are a wealth of knowledge, I don't know how that's not wasting a draw though.

Pretty simple, dont buy a tag and dont go gbear hunting in 7-40

boxhitch
06-17-2010, 10:22 PM
You do what you can to make it work
If it can't happen, the paper is worthless, no waste there.

As stated before though, double check the actual permit when you get it in the mail as it may read different.

todbartell
06-17-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks, you are a wealth of knowledge, I don't know how that's not wasting a draw though.

Wellll then, I suggest you call Victoria and ask them if they can give your draw to the guy who didn't apply for it, like you did. :wink:

are you sure you filled out your card right? It's not uncommon for them to get cards filled out incorrectly

cavebear
06-17-2010, 10:50 PM
a friend of mine recieved a bisson tag last year, only because the draw was rdeturned :-D

BiG Boar
06-17-2010, 11:01 PM
You may have filled it out wrong. They may have mis read it and entered it in wrong. Or you may have actually wanted it, but didnt know at the time. Sucks though that now your odds are reduced.

Also, sometimes the computer is wrong and you will get the one you wanted, in the mail.

TSW
06-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Wellll then, I suggest you call Victoria and ask them if they can give your draw to the guy who didn't apply for it, like you did. :wink:

Haha, exactly.
The only thing I would be concerned about if I were you is the reduced odds factor.

reach
06-17-2010, 11:14 PM
I think you should call them and sort it out. If it was their mistake, they should adjust their records so that your odds are not reduced in the next few draws.

winchester284
06-18-2010, 07:32 AM
Also, sometimes the computer is wrong and you will get the one you wanted, in the mail.

Has this ever happened?? :confused:

The way I understand it is the only manual input (therefore the only place an error may happen) is when they key punch the card. After that the website is reading the info from the database just like the mailing/printing machine is.

Barracuda
06-18-2010, 08:34 AM
see if you can get it dealt with.
The phone # you put on the card is is so they can call you if they are unsure of your marking.
The reduced odds is gonna hurt you. They do make mistakes and they dont always phone to clarify.

they should have your cards on file so they can literally check them by hand.

Not sure if they can or will fix it for you but its worth a shot.

Sitkaspruce
06-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Ironically, this also happened to a friend of mine's wife this year as well. Here is what she did

To whom can help,

My name is ***** and my hunter number card is *****. One of the animals that I submitted a LEH for was Grizzly Bear, Hunt code 3064, I believe you incorrectly entered the info and I ended up with a successful draw in Hunt code 3069. I would like you to check into this please. I am very careful with filling these cards out and don't believe a person could mistake my numbers.

Here is the reply from Victoria

Hello,

I have looked into the matter for you and have discovered what has happened. You will not be adversely affected so not to worry. We will clear this up for you and you won’t have to do a thing. Basically, you are correct, 3069 was not entered onto your card as one of your hunt codes. What happened is, when we were keying your information you were keyed as checking off the yes check box at the bottom of each card, specific to Grizzly draws. When you are not drawn for either your first or second choices you can check that box to be given a Grizzly draw that not enough other hunters applied for. Even though you did not check yes for this option, you were accidently checked as yes in the draw. However, this will not be a problem for you. I am looking at your card right now and you clearly did not check this box and should not have been given this draw. You had already missed out on being drawn as your first or second choice and that should have been the end of it for you. Instead you were given 3069. What I will do is make sure that you are considered not drawn for Grizzly this year and your odds will not be affected in future draws. This was our error and I apologize for an confusion we caused you. All I ask is that when your Grizzly authorization arrives by mail that you destroy it and then all will be well. It is too late now to stop the mail but since we will now be making your Grizzly authorization ineligible it will no longer be valid when it arrives so please tear it up. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and again, sorry for any inconvenience.

Do what she did and it looks like you can have it fixed. This will also see if you did NOT check the box.

Cheers

SS

Slinky Pickle
06-18-2010, 09:53 AM
Ironically, this also happened to a friend of mine's wife this year as well. Here is what she did

To whom can help,

My name is ***** and my hunter number card is *****. One of the animals that I submitted a LEH for was Grizzly Bear, Hunt code 3064, I believe you incorrectly entered the info and I ended up with a successful draw in Hunt code 3069. I would like you to check into this please. I am very careful with filling these cards out and don't believe a person could mistake my numbers.

Here is the reply from Victoria

Hello,

I have looked into the matter for you and have discovered what has happened. You will not be adversely affected so not to worry. We will clear this up for you and you won’t have to do a thing. Basically, you are correct, 3069 was not entered onto your card as one of your hunt codes. What happened is, when we were keying your information you were keyed as checking off the yes check box at the bottom of each card, specific to Grizzly draws. When you are not drawn for either your first or second choices you can check that box to be given a Grizzly draw that not enough other hunters applied for. Even though you did not check yes for this option, you were accidently checked as yes in the draw. However, this will not be a problem for you. I am looking at your card right now and you clearly did not check this box and should not have been given this draw. You had already missed out on being drawn as your first or second choice and that should have been the end of it for you. Instead you were given 3069. What I will do is make sure that you are considered not drawn for Grizzly this year and your odds will not be affected in future draws. This was our error and I apologize for an confusion we caused you. All I ask is that when your Grizzly authorization arrives by mail that you destroy it and then all will be well. It is too late now to stop the mail but since we will now be making your Grizzly authorization ineligible it will no longer be valid when it arrives so please tear it up. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and again, sorry for any inconvenience.

Do what she did and it looks like you can have it fixed. This will also see if you did NOT check the box.

Cheers

SS

This is a classic example of two civil people solving a problem together. Your friend was very cordial about her request and the government rep showed that even though a mistake was made, it would be corrected with no negative impact on the hunter's future odds.

All too often two hard headed sides will beat against each other hoping to win out. Usually the end result is nothing more than two sore heads.