PDA

View Full Version : Taxidermy on a blond phase

dutchie
06-17-2010, 12:10 AM
So i took my bear to Ray Weins Taxidermy today and had a look through options for what to do.

The three options I am looking at are a rug without a head mount on it, A half mount so the front legs are included, and the last is a lifesize mount.

The mouth will be closed on any mount I do as I am not a fan of snarling bears and don't care for teeth showing.

If I do a rug it will see alot of wear and tear use and abuse... but it will be usable and can co anywhere

If I do a half mount i will be loosing the rear half of the bear which is some very nice fluffy blond hair BUT it takes up less space.

If I do a full mount It will take up alot of space but it will look awesome. I am thinking of having the life size a wall hanger or else no base and right on the floor.

I am leaning towards the half or life size because of the color and rarity of the bear.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Dutchie

BigBanger
06-17-2010, 12:27 AM
I haven't seen it but if you really like it, like really like it, do a life size.

GoatGuy
06-17-2010, 12:32 AM
Need serious space for a life size.

Half are nice cause they can go on the wall without taking up too much space.

If you're thinking about a rug without the head being done, might as well just get it tanned and save a bunch of $. Felt seems to be the ultimate attractant for dust, lint and dog hair.

Some thoughts.

srupp
06-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Im a big fan of the half mounts..
steven

gutpile
06-17-2010, 12:45 AM
if you got loads of money do a life size mount . how big is the bear ?

BigBanger
06-17-2010, 12:51 AM
OK, I just saw a picture in your other thread of what I'm thinking is the bear. I myself would get it tanned. Nice bear by the way.

Mr. Dean
06-17-2010, 01:06 AM
Well Dutch, after seeing that critter in person and if it were mine,,,,,,, I'd seriously consider going full.

It's only an average bear in size (that'll right there will save some on the bill) but man, that coat is to die for.... The colouring (blonde). The fact that there's NO rubs. The density. The extra long claws, all makes this fella a WOWZERS, IMO.

WTS, I could see a rug too, but once it gets trimmed up to be 'even', it'll become 'smallish'. Especially without its head. It'll look like a midget! Therefore, I wouldn't do it - it just wouldn't make for a fair representation of what it all is and I see a lot of explaining as you show it to others. IMO it should speak for itself!

That buggar is REALLY kewwwl!!! And I have only seen 3 others that would be comparable - It would be a shame to toss the back half away.

But that's me and it ain't mine.....

hunter1947
06-17-2010, 03:05 AM
I would go with the head mount http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif..

pnbrock
06-17-2010, 06:47 AM
i would just have it tanned .

Wild Images
06-17-2010, 06:51 AM
How about one like this, if you like it I can put Ray on to the form
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/wildimages/fronthalfbear111.jpg

BiG Boar
06-17-2010, 07:03 AM
Ask yourself in 10 years, If I had a ________ mount done, would I still love it? If youre not going to be crazy about it, dont spend the mulah...

It is a beautiful bear and you got to do something with the hide, but dogs gotta eat....

Stone Sheep Steve
06-17-2010, 07:37 AM
Tanned and hung on a pegboard.

SSS

Phil
06-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Dou you have any other rugs done with heads on? If so it might be time for a half wall mount. That was my logic this season when deciding what to do.

BCBear
06-17-2010, 08:00 AM
simple tanned out rugs that hang from wall posts will look great and the fur falls naturally...they're great just tanned out hanging there, however, the head rug with batting that Ray did looks awesome draped over the couch.
If you think you'll NEVER get another honey bear in your life then get a full mount by all means. If you think you're on to some good genetics in a particular spot and can do better then I would hold off on the full mount until you get a bubba that makes a crater when you tell him it's nap time.

Better yet get work to kick in some $ and do the full mount and we can all see it anytime we want:-D

mijinkal
06-17-2010, 08:07 AM
I think it all depends on how much space and money you have.
I'm not a fan of half mounts for bears, so I'd say do a rug or life size mount.

I agree with bigbore, are you still going to love looking at this bear in 10 years? If yes, life size mount it.

Steeleco
06-17-2010, 08:27 AM
I like BB14's logical thinking, but having seen this hide and knowing what Ray can do with half mounts, a blonde version of what Dean has welcoming his guests would IMHO be spectacular.

Besides, after your fleshing lessons from BB14 is a full mount even a possibility?

Slee
06-17-2010, 08:33 AM
http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq187/jamesmramor/45-70024.jpg

Pretty cool colour phase bear!

Blainer
06-17-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm happy with my half mount.
But BCBear & BigBore make a good point,if you found a spot with good genetics and you shoot a monster honey bear next year,would you mount a second bear and would you still be happy with your decision to mount the first one?
With that said,I do like the picture of the 1/2 mount that Wild Images posted.
Here is a picture of mine.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/100_01771.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12536&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=6747)

Mr. Dean
06-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Besides, after your fleshing lessons from BB14 is a full mount even a possibility?

I went with dutch and dropped of the pelt last night - A FM looks VERY doable. Pretty much the only issue would be when making a rug (arms weren't opened evenly). There' was a pad issue with the hind feet, but I think with a little taxi-ingenuity and a good choice of form, all that can be corrected.

In 10 yrs I think it would still looky awesome..... Even if it were sitting beside a pig of a counterpart, that *happened* to present itself - Just don't hold your breath waiting for it! It would be a really cool, incorperated display, though.

Save the rug for next time. IMMHO, this isn't the candidate.

Steeleco
06-17-2010, 09:38 AM
So is it done yet?? ROFLMAO!!

luckynuts
06-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Tanned and hung on a pegboard.

SSS

I agree with BT. The bear is a good looking bear but small. This bear will look even smaller done up in a lifesize, trust me I have seen many. I would tan it or rug it. If you decide to rug it go closed mouth if you don't like to see the teeth. I have seen a few done with closed mouths and they look good.

blonde bears aren't that rare, finding one with size is. My friend up here took a 5'3" sow this spring, very similar to yours her teeth were worn right down and both top canines were cracked and split. i usually see 5-6 blondes a year though all have been under the 5'6" size and fall victim to a color phase excitable hunter. No matter what you do the bear it will look nice. If you tan it you can always change your mind later and have a mount done.

W.

Gateholio
06-17-2010, 10:11 AM
It's a great looking bear, but it's too small for a life size, IMHO.

I wouldn't rug it without the head, I'd get the whole thing just tanned before doing that. Or I'd rug it and put it on a wall.:-D

todbartell
06-17-2010, 11:58 AM
It's a great looking bear, but it's too small for a life size, IMHO.

rug it or tan it

Crazy_Farmer
06-17-2010, 03:11 PM
If you got the room and space for it a full mount would be cool. And I've seen a few bears in full mounts that were alot smaller then yours.

Hopefully the dog doesnt eat it, I've often worried about that with any mounts not on the wall.

BimmerBob
06-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Rug it or tan it James, it will look great on the wall!

~T-BONE~
06-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Get it tanned... If you change your mind about rugging it down the road it can still be done..

I personally think (no offence) its too small to do a half / lifefsize on it. That colour phase is more common than some people think.. Wait for a pig!!

Brew
06-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Just tan the whole thing. Don't mount it. you will get another one that color but bigger. your still in your twenties. Put the money saved from a mount into another hunt.

bruin
06-17-2010, 06:10 PM
I love the rug with skull. Keeps the whole hide, stick it on a wall and it'll look great.

steepNdeep
06-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Most blonde bears that I've seen shot are only big enough to make a good toilet seat cover... :lol: :wink:

HD95
06-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Im a big fan of the half mounts..
steven
x2 on the half-mount

tim3500
06-17-2010, 07:14 PM
X2 with BREW your young your going to shoot alot of bears in your hunting years hide looks great tan it and keep it spend your money on more hunting maybe a Island bear that even Jim S would be proud off

Mr. Dean
06-18-2010, 12:51 AM
James;
If the majority said "toss it", would you?

I dunno, but anything that I've had made up, was made upon a personal choice.... What someone thinks of my little basket-racked muley on the wall, doesn't concern me one tiny bit. What matters, is what I get from it being there.

Follow your heart, dude. If you don't, you`ll likely be disappointed.

Slee
06-18-2010, 08:01 AM
James;

I dunno, but anything that I've had made up, was made upon a personal choice.... What someone thinks of my little basket-racked muley on the wall, doesn't concern me one tiny bit. What matters, is what I get from it being there.

Dean hit the nail on the head. Who cares what the peanut gallery says. its your bear, your money, your trophy... what ever is going to make you happy is all that counts.

As stated before colour phase bears are more common then most people think....

BiG Boar
06-18-2010, 08:17 AM
James;

I agree. DO whatever you value the trophy at. If its a once in a lifetime thing, then get the full mount made up. If you think theres a good chance in the next few years of getting a better representation of the species then save the money for now. If you really had to work for this, or it is extremly rare, or there was just something very special about the hunt, then its worth it.

The only taxidermy I regret wasting money on is stuff I just jumped out of the truck and shot, and it being an average sized animal. If I could take it back for a refund I would. No story, nothing magical about the creature.

However you did ask for opinions.

Geo.338
06-18-2010, 08:21 AM
I would just tan it . I have done it with a couple of bears and they look good and are very affordable.

Blainer
06-18-2010, 08:36 AM
Thought you might like a gander at this one.
http://www.ganderstaxidermy.com/imagefolder/lifesizebears/BEARS,%20COUGARS%20AND%20WOLVES_files/brown%20blk.jpg (javascript:openCurrentImage())

luckynuts
06-18-2010, 10:10 AM
[quote=Slee;694850] Who cares what the peanut gallery says. its your bear, your money, your trophy... what ever is going to make you happy is all that counts.

He did ask for our opinion:wink:. And I think we all gave him an honest one. Either way he will decide and end up having a good looking bear to remember his hunt by.

W.

Caribou_lou
06-18-2010, 10:57 AM
I think that is an awsome bear. But I vote rug. You will most likely see a larger one someday. Then go for the lifesize. But thats just me.

pearljam
06-22-2010, 09:08 AM
So i took my bear to Ray Weins Taxidermy today and had a look through options for what to do.

The three options I am looking at are a rug without a head mount on it, A half mount so the front legs are included, and the last is a lifesize mount.

The mouth will be closed on any mount I do as I am not a fan of snarling bears and don't care for teeth showing.

If I do a rug it will see alot of wear and tear use and abuse... but it will be usable and can co anywhere

If I do a half mount i will be loosing the rear half of the bear which is some very nice fluffy blond hair BUT it takes up less space.

If I do a full mount It will take up alot of space but it will look awesome. I am thinking of having the life size a wall hanger or else no base and right on the floor.

I am leaning towards the half or life size because of the color and rarity of the bear.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Dutchie

So whats the plan?????

dutchie
06-22-2010, 12:12 PM
So whats the plan?????

I have about 6 months to decided on the work that is going to be done. I think that I am leaning to the Life Size.

I have done lots of research on phase colored bears and talked to a bunch of taxidermists on how big the usual blondie is. They are usually smaller.

The research that I have come up with is that the reason for phase colored bears, it is due to a adaptation to the heat so they can eat longer during the day and not get as hot. This inturn speeds thier metabolism up and they die in thier den over the winter when they get big becasue they can not store the appropriate amount of fat.

There are a few veriables that I am keeping in mind with the decsision. Them being I want to move North and there are far fewer phase bears up there, blonde phase turn darker as they get bigger, die off earlier to to a faster metabolism, and hunters will shoot them just becasue they are blonde and rare. (like myself, I have passed on bears bigger then this one looking for a bigger bear but Blondie took it because of the rarity)

from the 5 or 6 taxidermists I have talked to about the size of blonde bears, the majority of them that get taxi'd or tanned are about 4'.

1 taxidermist said that the biggest he has seen or herd of being mounted is was 5'7" (unsure if it is squared, nose to tail or paw to paw)

My bear was a squared 5'5.5" paw to paw 5'10" nose to tail 5'1"

I have not made a final decission yet, but I am leaning to a lifesize.

Dutchie