PDA

View Full Version : Backpack Hunting

rambo
04-07-2006, 10:13 PM
I plan on doing some backpack elk hunting this year. I dreamt about this hunt more than a thousand times already, and every time it is flawless. The hunt takes place in a spectacular country. I cover great amount of distance, swim across rivers, and find the grand daddy of all the Elks. I take a perfect shot, field dress it, and pack out the meat, the hide, and the trophy antlers. LOL :mrgreen:

Back to reality! :eek:

The fact is that I’ve never done any backpacking, but the very idea of backpack hunting appeals to me more than any other style of hunting. Therefore, I'm willing to give it a try this fall. I plan on doing some backpack Elk hunting in the Kootenays for a week. Since I haven't done any backpack hiking, camping, or hunting before, I would like to hear about your experiences and recommendations about backpack hunts.

Do you do solo backpack hunting, or do you go with a group/partner and then split up once you get to a decent location?
In terms of days, how long do you plan your trip to be?
What are some dangers involved in it, especially in terms of predators?
Do you use a bivy bag or a tent?
How do you pack out the game without spoiling it?
Do you carry a compact stove?

Thanks.

huntwriter
04-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Backpack hunting is fun and gets you away from the crowd, if you are in a condition to do it.

Talking about condition, my eyes are killing me from trying to read that small print in your post.;-)

Tarp Man
04-07-2006, 11:50 PM
Well, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but if you have never backpacked or camped much before, DO NOT GO TOO FAR ALONE! I don't know what your experience is as far as hunting is concerned, but I highly recommend finding someone to hang around with so you don't get in over your head. That disclaimer aside, some suggestions:

1. Start dayhiking in your area and figure out your fitness level.:oops: ?
2. Start training now, working up to carrying up to 1/3 of your bodyweight. This is the recommended comfortable carrying weight for most people. For a properly equipped dayhike (safety considered) you are likely carrying 10-20lbs including snacks and water).
3. If you are shopping for a pack, take some time and visit a backpacking type shop for advice on everything from footwear to layering to packs. Just don't tell them you plan to kill things while wearing it :mrgreen:. Be prepared to spend a pretty penny on gear. DO NOT CHEAP OUT as this stuff is what will save your a$$ when it all goes south.
4. If you can, join a local outdoors club. They are a wealth of information and often have loads of advice for beginners. Again, until you have gained either the information you need or their confidence, keep your end goals to yourself lest you find yourself being pushed of a scenic viewpoint.
5. Start camping (car camping) in the early summer and practice regularly. There are things you learn that only experience can teach you.
6. Start reading up on hiking and camping in general. www.backpacker.com (http://www.backpacker.com) is a good online resource as well as www.mec.ca (http://www.mec.ca)

I encourage you to get out and experiment and learn. Just be safe when you do so. Make sure you leave contact information with a trusted source when venturing out. (ie. where you are going, what you plan to do when you get there, return time, what time to call 911 to start a search, etc.) I have grown up tenting and hiking (20+ years). Applying that to a hunting situation still leaves much to learn as I am finding out. I don't know what others will post, but maybe some more background info will help in relation to hunting.

Happy Trails.

Foxer
04-08-2006, 01:32 AM
Keep it simple to start. I've backpacked enough before, but never with full hunting gear. Remember - you're on your own out there, and the woods can kill you very quickly if you don't take 'em seriously.

Practice navigational exercises, and really do a lot of research first, and then start off with a few simple and relatively short jaunts.

kishman
04-08-2006, 04:48 AM
Hi Rambo, once the weather warms abit more you could give some of the hike-in lakes around Chilliwack Lake, (Flora etc...) a try, these are fairly well marked trails that provide some good cardio training. Hike in a float tube, catch lunch:mrgreen: !

kishman,

Tarp Man
04-08-2006, 05:23 AM
It may be a good idea to try a few day trips in poor weather. Murphy's law dictates that the weather will go to seed and if you know what to expect, it will help when you are in the backwoods.
-Tarp Man

Walksalot
04-08-2006, 06:18 AM
I have overnighted it a few times hunting but never for an extended period of time. I have however packed a few elk out of the bush on a packboard and it can be summed up in one word WORK.

I have always tried to retain some semblence of physical fitness as one never knows when one will get lucky and bag an animal.

I have taken with me a ground sheet to put the meat on when we are quartering it and game bags, those big cotton hospital laundary bags, to put the meat in. If it is the early part of the season the flies will be on you in no time. It will probably take a couple of trips to get all the meat, cape and antlers out so on foot one might want to take this into consideration. Have some cord to hoist the quarters off the ground on the shady side of the tree while you take the first load out but the bottom line is that if it is warm out you have to move quick.

lapadat
04-08-2006, 07:37 AM
I think the most important 2 things about back-country backpack hunting are: hunt with a strong dependable person AND be prepared.

If you are like Tarpman and I you will likely start by packing WAY too much gear and be sucking ass the whole way up, wasting valuable hunting time. As tarpman said, the best way to learn how much gear to bring is experience. Get out and hike. Besides hiking pre-season is a great opportunity to scout, shed hunt and imagine that monstrous 4X4 muley bedded in a distant alpine bowl. ahhhhh.

Good luck

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture_142.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2482&size=big&cat=500)

xcaribooer
04-08-2006, 08:24 AM
1. Do not go alone and 2. beware the g-bear, they have a reputation of coming to the sound of a gunshot:eek:

superchase
04-08-2006, 08:52 AM
here's a story for you guys, I went on my first goat hunt last fall and let me tell you what an experience. we were camped at about 7500 ft level at the end of bull river and to get to the goats you have to hike up at least 2 hours before you can see them. me and my buddy shot one on the 5th day and it took another 3 hours to pack it out. i shot mine on the last day and where i shot it, it was even higher up and took me 4 hours to hike out with it....will i go goat hunting again...noooooo, its alot of work.

twoSevenO
04-08-2006, 09:06 AM
I have to agree about not going alone and not cheaping out on gear. I'm personally paranoid of falling, breaking my legs and having nobody to help me out, so i never backpack alone. As for cheaping out on gear it's a definite no no. Well at least don't cheap out on your backpack and boots. Those two are the most important !!!

For a backpack i would recomment either an Osprey or Arc'teryx, they're pricey but very well made and VERY comfortable backpacks that come in a variety of sizes to match everyone's physique.

Good Luck :)

rambo
04-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks guys.
Sorry about the small font in my original post. I’m just getting used to this forum.

You are all right. I have to start by doing some day hiking and then work my way up to backpack camping, and then backpack hunting.

I don’t plan on going solo. I’m trying to convince a couple of friends to come along.

I will not cheap out on the gear, as you said Trap Man, it will save my a$$ when things go wrong.

As for the backpack, I was leaning towards the bullpac. http://www.bullpacs.com

bsa30-06
04-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Tarpman mentioned leaving information about your trip (time of return, how long you will be gone, area your heading to etc.) this something we all should be doing regardless of how long your trip is, so remember guys let somebody now where your going and when you'll be back, because you just never know what might happen.Good advice tarpman and thanxs for reminding all of us to do this.

bcboy
04-08-2006, 02:27 PM
I have a bullpac, I like it but there are good ones out there that are more user friendly.plus you still have to buy a pack, I like externals but alot of people swear by internal.

Dana packs
Kifaru
Wilderness wanders

google them they are eassy to find, As for packin me and my buddy shot a 6x6 elk 3 kms from camp on a Fri morning, we were finished Saturday nite.;-) We had to make 2 trips each, first load I took a hind 1/4 and the rack plus my pack..120+ lbs.
I like to hunt on my own alot too..but figure this if you have 100 lbs on your back try sitting down and getting back up again, it will give a feel for what a difficult hunt will be:smile:
Good boots are a must, get them fitted properly and start here ask alot of ??'s

Tarp Man
04-08-2006, 02:40 PM
Rambo, when you get to the point of buying a pack you need to consider if you want a bloody quarter soaking into your pack and suspension. I highly recommend an external frame pack, like a freighter model. They are designed to carry back-breaking loads. The bag is also removable which makes clean up easier. As far as boots go, backpack hunting requires hardcore stuff. AJ Brooks in Vancouver sells Meindl boots. They should garner high praise from most guys on the site. Some say they are too heavy, but if you have a trick ankle or really do plan on packing out 100+ lbs of meat and gear you need heavy duty. You don't haul a massive trailer with a 1/2 ton truck usually more than once. Same principle applies.

I did not mean to rain on your parade earlier, but I just wanted to help you understand there is a lot of work that goes into overnight backpacking. Adding 6-10lbs of rifle, plus another 5-10lbs of hunting specific gear and you're in for a grunt. Lapadat was right too in his post. Typically you lay out all your gear before a final packing and realize you have waaaaay to much stuff. Especially when you put the pack on. I've found that I will overpack by 5lbs or more if not careful. Also, be ruthless and don't let you throw that "one more thing" into the pack just because you have the room. Gear, like a gas has a funny way of expanding to fill the available space. I call it Boyle's Law of backpacking.

One way to help eliminate the extra stuff and weight is to have a checklist on your computer that you use for packing. Then when you return, make a list of the gear you did not use. Usually that can be left behind on your next trip. Another caution: don't get too caught up in the lightweight craze that afflicts most backpackers. When you are out miles away from help, planning to be out for several days, solid design, durability, and comfort should be your main concern, not weight watching.

Remember, all the advice is useless until you get out there yourself and see what works for you. Hiking into your hunting areas opens huge opportunities, ones I am just beginning to discover.

-Tarp Man

ryanb
04-08-2006, 03:12 PM
Doing a backpack hunt on your own is not totally out of the question, but reasonable precautions should be taken if you want to stay safe. You should have a radio or sat-phone with you if you are going more than 1-2 days on your own. Of course, the most important part of going anywhere, on your own or not, is to let someone know where you are going to be, when, and for how long. Give the person detailed instructions on who to contacts, and when in the case you don't return as planned.

I've never personally done a backpack hunt, but these are the rules I have followed in my solo backpacking trips I've taken.

Otherwise, as others have stated, get out there and get some experience.

Maxx
04-08-2006, 03:32 PM
If you are not familiar with backpack hunting, then I agree , do not go alone. But after you have some experience, why not?

Here are some pics of a solo deer hunt, took this small buck on opening day in the snow. This was about a 10km hike in off a main highway,

I do agree to buy good gear, that way you will buy gear once. I have a Kifaru pack, it works well. Other important gear IMO,

- lightweight tent, or Siltarp
- small stove, pot, cup,
-light sleeping bag

Do not pack too many clothes, you will not usually need them,

http://www.hunt101.com/img/322880.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/img/322884.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/img/322881.JPG

rambo
04-08-2006, 04:45 PM
For the time being I have my brother's old MEC 5000 cubic inch backpack that I can use. I have a decent pair of Rocky boots that I bought last year. I will probably keep these until I need new ones. I also have a couple of sleeping bags. One is good for -10 Celsius and the other is good for 0 Celsius. Both of these sleeping bags weigh less than 3 pounds. However, I still need a tent, stove, pot, cup...

bcboy, Thanks for telling me of the other packs. I already did a little research. I like the bullpac for it's solid design, but Kifaru LongHunter looks pretty good as well. It's goning to be difficult for me to choose between the two. :???:

Kiraru LongHunter
http://www.kifaru.net/images/frtr2004.jpg

VS.

The bullpac
http://www.bullpacs.com/images/products/bigbull.gifhttp://www.bullpacs.com/images/mount/rm-mounted-lg.jpg

Trap Man, I like your checklist idea as well as the rest of the advice.

Maxx, nice pictures. Which Kifaru pack do you use? I agree with you on not packing too many clothes. I've done a few daytrips before, and I had packed too many clothes. I had more than 10 lbs of gear in clothes. This is where Trap Man's checklist and elimination list will come in handy.

bcboy, I heard that external packs are more noisier than internals, because of their bulky external frames, pins, and etc. Is this true in case of bullpac?

Tarp Man
04-08-2006, 05:47 PM
When you are considering noise, do you really think you will be sneaking up on a spooky elk or blacktail trying to poke it with an arrow, while carrying a 50-70lb pack? Or are you going to use that pack as a shooting rest for a nice stable shot? Unless you are bowhunting or using an Atlatl(Foxer?) then don't get too caught up in noise.
Tarp Man

Edit: look on www.mec.ca (http://www.mec.ca) and www.backpacker.com (http://www.backpacker.com) for checklists and you can go from there.

twoSevenO
04-08-2006, 06:49 PM
I think you'll be a lot better off with a small single person tent then a bivy. It will weigh only a little bit more but it will offer better protection from the elements as well as some sort of vestibule to keep your boots dry. MEC is excellent value for the money in tents, but if you desire something better look for a MSR or a MountainHardware tent.

I worked in sales for a while and was able to get all my gear for huge discounts and all i bought was Mountain Hardware, they are simply the best in tents. I also own their sleeping bag which proved to be more then good.

P.S. The Kiraru "looks" a bit more comfortable IMO. What do they cost?

Foxer
04-08-2006, 07:14 PM
Unless you are bowhunting or using an Atlatl(Foxer?)

I asked the ministry about atlatl's once :)

30 mins to explain what one was, 15 minutes of them searching the regs, 1 minute to come back and say 'do whatever the hell you like, just quit calling' and hang up :)

Apperently there's nothing wrong with it. The laws proscribe using some weapons on some animals, but nothing actually says you can't use anything you want to hunt, as long as when you use THOSE things mentioned you use the cartridge and calibre or draw weight appropriate.

Don't know how much game you'd get tho :) they make bows look like an easy to use long range weapons platform.

rambo
04-08-2006, 07:14 PM
P.S. The Kiraru "looks" a bit more comfortable IMO. What do they cost?

The bullpac: $170 - $300 US

The Kifaru: $284 - $700 US

bcboy
04-08-2006, 07:21 PM
bullpacks are not noisy. I have put 150lbs on it. I would recomend a good frame pack before an internal pack.

greybark
04-08-2006, 07:42 PM
;-) Hey Rambo , Get a hold of someone in the Highways Dept and bum some of the large plastic bags they use in the 45 gal garbage cans . They are light and tough and can be used as emergency rain gear ,Collect rainwater and when split down the seams provide emergency cover for you sleeping bag , etc etc .
;-) If I had to pick the most important piece of gear it would be a good lightweight sleeping bag and a lightweight tent with a low profile. After a day out in some of the coldest, wet and wind driven weather you need to easily erect your tent and recover some body heat in the sleeping bag . Without thse two you could be in serious trouble .
;-) One last point don`t pile gear on your boots overnight as flat "frozen " boots are hard to put on . Heh Heh
Just remember inspite of sleeping on a 1/2in foamy , lack of drinking water,being constantly cold,eating freeze dried food ,tired and aching muscles and the inside of your little pup tent smelling like a gym it is certainly worth it .
Good luck on your hiking adventures .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

alremkin
04-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Rambo, I posted an article about a back pack hunt here about 6 months ago about a backpack hunt I went on 20 years ago. I'll go find it and paste it into this thread it will an idea of what's involved.

ELK VALLEY ELK

Background

In 1986 I’d planned two hunts the first for deer about 100 miles from home and the second for elk 600 miles away in the Elk Valley. The first hunt went well. Three of us hiked in 5 miles set-up camp hunted the next day, opening day, got two deer packed them out the following day and retrieved our camp the day after that. I’d had two other hunting buddies who went up to the Elk Valley a day ahead of me, having agreed on where to meet. Because of my earlier deer hunt I would arrive in the Elk Valley the day after opening day September 11. I’d been backpacking through the summer and had been weight training and running for about a year before the hunt, so I was in pretty good hunting shape. I could do four reps with 485 lbs in the squat, proper power lifting deep squats, 2 sets of 3 reps with 295 lbs in the bench press, and I could standing press 225 lbs for 2 reps and was considering entering power lifting competition in my age and weight class group. And I’d been shooting competitively for three years after spending a couple of years practicing and developing loads for all my hunting rifles.

The Meeting

The previous year I’d found a trail after doing a lot of scouting and bought a new mini 4x4 to negotiate a road I’d found with a big wash-out in it six feet deep and about 15 feet across. When I found the road it was passable to about half a mile from where the trail started. From being in the country and studying my maps I found a very good looking hunting spot not much more than a three mile hike from the trailhead, although the trail climbed about a thousand feet. We’d agreed to meet where two creeks met and camp near there so I’d expected to my partner’s truck parked on the road when I arrived, but it wasn’t there, so I drove ahead to where a tree had fallen across the road parked and got out with my rifle and daypack to look around and see if I could find any sign of my partners. I was dressed in hiking shorts and a sweat shirt carrying my rifle and binoculars. After about 20 minutes of walking down the road I found a complete wash-out, so I stopped and had a look around as it had started snowing. Another hunter showed-up a young guy about thirty we talked for a few minutes. I asked him if he’d seen any sign of my partners, he said that he hadn’t and then his partner came up wearing a heavy set of rain gear, he looked at me as if he’s just seen Paul Bunyan for the first time.

We all decided to head back to the main road the older guy with the heavy rain gear got in the bed of my truck as we drove out through the wash-out onto the main road, I saw a piece of flagging tape hanging from a tree limb and had a closer look and found a note from my partners saying they’d gone to Forsythe Creek another spot I knew about. So I dropped the two guys off and wished then luck. The younger one tried to lift my 85 lbs pack and was just barely able to lift one end of it up saying he’d never be able to carry that thing. I’d hiked up Forsythe Creek in ’84 on our way to Connor Lake a beautiful remote lake ten miles from the road and at that time noticed a good hunting area about half way in where a gas drilling rig was working when we backpacked through to the lake. When I got to the end of the road at Forsythe Creek I saw my partner’s truck and got out putting on my pack, binos, and rifle. Then I saw Mike, one of my partners, walking down the road which is closed to motor vehicle use, toward me. So I waited and met him he said that he’d gone in light the day before and now was coming back for a load of food as well having a look a the country as he’d never been there before. We walked up to camp 5 miles up the road at the old drilling site together arriving about 3 PM.

Camp

It was a good camp site except for being too exposed in the open to wind. We had a small stream fifty feet away and lots of fire wood nearby. After setting-up my tent, unpacking and then having diner, Robin came into camp from his day’s hunt. We gathered around the small fire talking and laughing, it was about 18:30 and the sun had gone behind the mountain it was partly cloudy and cool about 45F with a light dusting of snow on the peaks around us. I brought out my insolite to sit on around the fire. As darkness started to fall we noticed a mist or cloud above the valley, about two thousand feet, and the setting sun’s rays set the mist aglow making it look about half way between and aurora and a rainbow it was very beautiful and lasted about five minutes. I took it as a good omen. We talked about our plans for tomorrow and then the other two went to bed down while I stayed up until about 23:00 watching the stars under the mostly clear sky.

Mike and Robin had left camp by the time I got up about 08:30 and had a leisurely breakfast of scrambled eggs and bacon. I admired the beauty of the surroundings as I gave thought to where I’d start, deciding to walk about three quarters of a mile to where the creek crossing is for the trial to Connor Lake and then slowly brush bust my way up the mountain side to check out a very promising looking bowl

Hunting

I started up the mountain after checking the creek crossing. It was dense with shrubs and small trees as well as old wind falls to be climbed over and going was slow as I traversed my way up the mountainside. Being in better shape was a big help I was not sweating as I climbed and was able to be more alert. I’d come across game trails which would appear and vanish seemly without reason until I made it to the ridge where I found several Moose beds on the ridge with four or five game trials leading to and from them. These were places where the Moose would have good escape routes from predators. Continuing my climbing traverse I came upon what was a very pronounced trial and decided to follow it since it seemed to lead in the direction I wanted to go. Following the trail up toward the bowl I started noticing windfalls that had been cut by saws, but the cuts were aged perhaps ten years ago. I realized this was an old guide trail that hadn’t been maintained for a while since there were some recent windfalls that hadn’t been cut. I had the sense that I was moving into a very good area.

As I reached the beginning of the bowl about 13:00, I had lunch while being able to view the valley floor and surrounding mountain sides. It was a very beautiful setting I wished I had a camera. I spent a couple of hours scouting around the bowl and saw lots of Elk sign as well as beds in the lush vibrant green grass on this north facing mountain bowl. As I reached the highest spot I went to that day I felt a presence like I was being watched. Since the bush there was very thick I decided the best thing to do for now is back off study the terrain closely as it appeared that the three of us could do a type of pincer movement with one covering the trial I’d found the other covering the trail leading across the mountain side to the next bowl and one coming down on the suspected Elk bedding area from above. I turned back to head back to camp and share the information I’d got. It was about 15:30 and I stopping on my way back to camp high on the trail as it left the bowl. I noticed a large bull moose; they didn’t open for another month or so, at the large pond near where the stream form the next bowl east empties into the valley floor. I set-up my spotting scope and he looked like a 45”-50” bull. While I was watching another bull moose about the same size approached him and they square off and butted heads once, about five seconds later I heard a THUNK, so I thought they were about a mile away. A cow moose suddenly came running out of the bush and went up and seemed to smell of one of the bulls then wandered off. I guess she was sniffing to see how serious they were or something. I think the bulls knew they’d be fighting when the rut started in a few weeks and wanted to test each other, a very interesting site to witness.

alremkin
04-08-2006, 08:02 PM
The Kill

About fifteen minutes after leaving my vantage point, I noticed a golden brownish color on the opposite mountain side across the valley floor which was about two hundred yards across. Putting my binoculars on it, I immediately saw a bull elk with three points up high on his rack meaning at least a five point; it’s a three point minimum in this area. He was feeding as he slowly traversed the opposite mountain side very nearly exactly opposite me on the other side of the little valley. The bush there was way too thick for me to go over there and stalk him, so I did some quick range estimation as I got out my ammo. I always carry forty four rounds with me when I hunt, two full boxes and four in the rifle. I set-up my spotting scope stand for a shooting rest with its’ adjustable aluminum legs on the roughly 45 degree side hill. I wasn’t certain of the distance to the Elk, but I figured it was around 500 yards. At 550 yards my.338 Win-mag with the 250 grain Sierra spitzer-boatail bullet I’d hand loaded to a muzzle velocity of 2780 feet/second would give me about 2250 foot lbs of energy roughly the same energy as a 30-06 180 grain bullet at 250 yards. I normaly zero for 200 yards. I aim my rifle using the scope stand as a rest aimed so I could see a little space over his back and fired. I’d missed the elk lifted his head up and was looking around to see where the shot came from while I added one body width to my hold over and fired again. Down he went. I looked over at him with my binoculars and could see him lying there and once in a while he would shake his head, but he couldn’t move his body. So I packed my gear up checked the opposite side mountain for a land mark to follow so I could find him because as soon as I left the side of the mountain I was on, I wouldn’t be able to see him. I check him again before I left in case he’d recovered, but he was still down.

Coming up to him I could hear him shaking the bushed with his head at my approach. I walked up to about ten feet from him drew a bead to finish him, but I’d forgot my scope was still on 5 power and lowered my rifle to turn it down to 1 ½ power because at the higher power all I could see in the scope was hair. As I began to raise my rifle the
Elk must have recovered from the adrenalin of me approaching so close as he stood up and faced me at ten feet. There was a look in his eye as if to say, “Now I’ve got you, you *******!” I quickly shot him through the neck and he dropped into a low spot. I checked him to make sure he was dead and then fired my alerting shots that we’d agreed on to let each other know we’d downed game and could use help. It was about 17:00. I could look across the valley with my binoculars and when Mike and Robin weren’t behind trees I could see them warming them selves at the fire. I can make a loud booming sound which I started doing as well, but I could see them looking around and because of the sound reverberating in the Valley the couldn’t tell what direction I was. After a frustrating half hour of yelling, I realized I’d have move the Elk and clean it myself. It took half an hour moving each end successively a few inches at a time to turn him so I could easily clean him. At that time I realize what a good idea it was to have been weight training in preparation for the hunt, the Elk probably had a live weight of seven hundred pounds It took about 45 minutes to clean him and ½ hour to walk back to camp arriving there at 19:00 as it was getting dark. Of course everyone was happy we stayed up until 23:00 talking about the hunt and planning to go butcher and pack the Elk into camp tomorrow.

The pack out

We all had a good breakfast and headed out of camp at about 09:30. We had a full size game saw a hatchet and our knives for butchering the Elk. After Robin and Mike took pictures with their cameras it took about two hours to cut the Elk into pieces we could carry, two front quarters and two hind quarters with the hide on and the bone in. At the local game cutting place the front quarters weighed 135 lbs and the hinds 105 lbs. We decided to leave the hide on both to protect the meat and Mike had a friend who asked for the hide to tie flies. Mike is about 6’-5” tall and weighs about 210 lbs. Robin at 5’-6” weighing about 130 lbs wasn’t able to carry the quarters so he stayed at the carcass guarding it while we packed the meat into camp which was roughly one mile as the crow flies from where I shot the Elk. We all arrived back at camp at 17:45. I cut off some of the tenderloin for diner that night.

While the first part of the pack out off the mountain was dangerous because of the steep hillside, the most difficult part would be the five miles to the truck. We left camp at 09:30 arriving at the trucks at 11:45. We found the best way to pack something that heavy over that distance is to take lots of short breaks pack for 15 minutes get the weigh off your shoulders and rest for 2 minutes. Mike and Robin went to town with the first load while I went back to pack out another quarter. We happened to meet as I was bringing out the second front quarter, they’d stopped by the pub and Robin was drunk. Mike suggested they take the quarter I had and that they’d go to town rent a motel room for the night. I was too tired to argue. I’d had a deja-vue type experience looking at the Elk quarter I felt like I’d some how connected to my ancient ancestors in some way, it happened several times as I’d look up at the quarters while I was packing them out. At the end of that day I packed 270 lbs of Elk quarters ten miles to the truck while carrying a ten lbs rifle and then walked back to camp empty another ten miles. The next day I had a head ache, but found it fairly easy to pack out the 105 lbs hind quarter.

Conclusion

From all this packing in and packing out I think it’s fairly easy to see why most people use horses and or guides for this type of hunting. For me to hunt one day it required four days of packing in and packing out. Of course there are easier ways to hunt, but this was a true wilderness experience where as a group we’d found the area to hunt on our own in previous year’s adventures and went in and completed the hunt. This gives an idea of what it’s like for someone starting to hunt of the requirements to be reasonably successful. I’ll try to include some pictures I have of the hunt. Good hunting, alremkin.

rambo
04-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Rambo, I posted an article about a back pack hunt here about 6 months ago about a backpack hunt I went on 20 years ago.

Very interesting indeed, I read your article when you first posted it here. Your article gave me the assurance I was looking for, that it can be done.

I look forward to seeing the pictures of this hunt.

twoSevenO
04-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Nice read man .... awesome hunt (except for the packing out part). I gotta admit, if i was there i'd probably search for the smallest blacktail i could find :) lol

Walksalot
04-10-2006, 07:17 AM
At the local game cutting place the front quarters weighed 135 lbs and the hinds 105 lbs.

From the sounds of the weights they left the ribcage on the front quarters, We always left the ribs in the bush but took all the meat off them.. We cut the hinds at the ball joint. The bone stays in the fron and back quarter as it is easier to strap to the board and easier to hang.

We packed one animal out close to four miles by the map and had to have it out that day as we both had to work the next. The first load is the easiest as you are still pumped with adernaline but the second load is a bugger. We had to take the packs off to rest and then it was a chore to get back on your feet again.

I have since blown out my knee and like to think I have gained in logic so those days were a thing of the past until my son wanted to get into hunting the back country. After a day on the mountain and the kneebrace digging into my leg I question my sanity but the smile on my son's face is worth it. We will see if that smile fades when we are making the second trip out.

yippert
04-22-2006, 09:55 PM
Rambo. I did nothing but back pack hunting for over 40 years. Mostly in the Bridge River area for mule deer but also in the East Kootenays for everything that has to offer. I agree with the feedback on here - including the Meindl boots from Brooks. I also favor the external frame pack for the heavy pack out loads and the horns to hang your gunsling. I put little deerskin washers between the rings and the frame to eliminate any tinkling that might occur. We usually are two to 4 guys and we make a base camp. In the Bridge River it is usually within 500 feet of timberline. 3500 elev from the road. Then you use the pack as a day pack and gun rest. I have a "game bag" from "Wilderness Wanderer" out of Kamloops. http://thewildernesswanderer.com/ It's just a big light weight bag without all the pockets, bells and whistles. You can slide the hind of a 4 pointer into it. We never take a stove - just a small grate say 6" x 14". Weighs very little and can be set up between 2 big rocks to provide a great cooking surface. All meat barbequed, one pot for water and another for everything else. 3/4 length Thermarest matress on a full length 3/8" closed cell foam. About the same weight as a full length thermarest but more comfrtable and warm. The foam becomes a round tube that when it is inserted holds the sides of the game bag tight. Everyting else is stowed inside the foam tube. One last thing...don't forget to cut your toenails before you go or you'll pay on the pack out. Good Luck...Y

boxhitch
04-23-2006, 10:20 AM
One last thing...don't forget to cut your toenails before you go or you'll pay on the pack out. Good Luck...Y
LOL Good one !!!! Sometimes its the little details that make a difference.

kutenay
04-23-2006, 04:22 PM
I backpack hunt almost exclusively and have done so since 1964; I own and use a fair amount of cutting edge gear because backpacking has been my favourite activity since I started hiking in 1956. I will give a few points here concerning gear and this may assist others to get what works for them at the best price.

First, you need to decide exactly what you are going to hunt and how long you will be out per trip. For Moose and Elk hunts from horses or a vehicle, where you usually camp at the base and radiate out on foot, then pack your game back to this central point, a Bullpac or a Wilderness Wanderer is fine. I have the Bullpac Alaskan,, my partner has the Wanderer and both of them do the job; I just find the BP fits me better and rides a bit better on my elderly bod.

When you are on foot for 2-5 days and live out of your pack and then pack your meat back, boned-out along with your minimalist camp, a top quality internal is my choice. I currently have a Kifaru Longhhunter Rendevous, a Kifaru Siwash, a Mystery Ranch BDSB and a Mystery Ranch Deluxe with a Mystery Ranch NICE frame/load sling on order and expected in about a week. I have never seen, used or owned packs as good as MR and Kifaru and I have had packs from the USA, Europe and the UK. These packs are expensive, they actually fit right and do what the makers claim and they are worth the prices charged, especially for older hunters and guys who actually get out and hunt off their own feet.

For boots, my first choice is Charley Van Gorkum and his boots are the best I have ever worn, period. They cost a fair bit and the waiting period is now up to a year, but, they will last forever and make hunting much more comfortable. My second choice is Meindl "Perfekts" or "Super Perfekts" from AJBrooks while Raichle seems to be coming back to the position they once held as one of the really superb makers. Avoid boots whichh have very high rubber rands and G/T liners as they are an inexpensive way to make a boot that never conforms to your foot as a leather boot does; some "bootfitters" in some gear stores talk about "sheephunters" and have never seen a sheep...... I also like Viberg boots if you prefer their traditional North American style.

The next expensive item is your sleeping system and Integral Designs of Calgary make the BEST sleeping bags I have yet to see. I would pick them, then Western Mountaineering then Feathered Friends of Seattle over anything else available locally. ID bags are just superb and the dealer "Mountain Magic" in Surrey is both gun/hunting friendly and gives excellent prices. I use Kifaru tipis, I.D. bivies and syltarps plus a Bibler tent for various trips; I can recommend Mountain Hardware, I.D. and Hilleberg tents as well.

There is more, but, this is basic info. on gear that will really work, some of the stuff sold under once-famous names is NOT up to B.C. backpack hunting conditions and buying real quality once is cheaper than replacing inferior, famous products or having your ass freeze in a tent that leaks...been there, etc.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Lots of good info here.
I switched from a 3/4 Thermarest to a 3/4 Ridgerest. It's lighter, tougher, cheaper and will never go flat when you need it the most. It is bulkier but I keep it tied to my pack at the bottom so it's handy to sit on when you're glassing for a long time. Keeps the cold and wet from getting into your bones. I always keep some sort of pad even in my daypack to sit on.
I also recommend picking up a set of Helly Hanson Impertech rain gear. Lightweight, tough and pretty compactable.

I'll also second picking up a Siltarp II. Once for ounce one of the best things in my pack.

SSS

quadrakid
04-24-2006, 07:20 PM
lots of great info from you guys with lots of experience, anybody ever use a tatonka laxenstrasse external frame pack?i,ve been looking at picking one up for packing elk quarters,some day! the frame looks real skookum,feedback would be great, thanks and good luck rambo see you on the trail.

kutenay
04-24-2006, 09:48 PM
I have checked those out very carefully and am not too keen on them; the shelf arrangement is too complex and will catch on thick bush, IMO. I prefer the simplicity of the Bullpac and REALLY recommend the Mystery Ranch NICE frame and load sling.

I have owned/used European packs, Fjallraven Expedition framepack and bag, Karrimore packs and examined others; I have yet to see a Euro pack that equaled a MR, Kifaru or Bullpac. Also, if you buy one of these and ANYTHING goes wrong, the makers are in the USA and they really do give fabulous customer service. With an Euro pack, the makers might not be quite as easy to access and repairs/replacements may be much more difficult.

If, money is a major concern, take a look at the Ostrom "packboard" which looks to me like a fine rig for general load humping, although I prefer the MR NICE system. Again, spending the bux on the best pack is a very wise move in the long run.