PDA

View Full Version : What time for moose?

vanislehunter1
06-16-2010, 11:04 PM
So my dad got an LEH tag for an area near PG which we have been to. We got a tag there a few years ago but that was for cow/calf, not bull. Now, i'm not looking for where they are, i'm looking for what time to go. I understand that the moose are in the rut from mid sept to october, so I am assuming that around this time would be a good general time to prepare for. What I really want to do is be there while the rut is on, however I don't want to be there while it is 20 degrees outside because obviously that means much less activity. Anyone with advice on a time to go will be greatly appreciated as it is a long drive from Port McNeill to PG to get no moose!

Bowzone_Mikey
06-16-2010, 11:08 PM
depends upon the year ... watch the weather channel alot ... weather dot ca Is a big help IMHO ... if its a long hot summer the rut will be late ... if its crappy weather .. then earlier ...

BCrams
06-16-2010, 11:41 PM
As a general rule, you can't go wrong with the last week of September through first couple weeks of October for around PG.

You won't have control over the weather being from Port McNiel so focussing on the timing when the rut usually occurs is a good bet.

GoatGuy
06-16-2010, 11:58 PM
depends upon the year ... watch the weather channel alot ... weather dot ca Is a big help IMHO ... if its a long hot summer the rut will be late ... if its crappy weather .. then earlier ...

The temperature does not control when females cycle and 'the rut'. Males don't actually 'control' what goes on, just like in life, it's women that control the breeding! Reader's digest version - daylight is the primary trigger and cycling will continue depending on the ungulate based on body condition - if they aren't bred the first go round.

Weather probably plays a role in terms of movement (ie least active during the daytime when it's hot) but estrus and the resulting 'rut' is actually timed for green up in the spring to ensure highest survival. Delaying estrus (and the rut) means late calves which means high mortality come winter which results in several problems. In areas where you've got excellent 'feed' you can sometimes find an earlier 'rut' and younger animals becoming sexually mature BUT that's in days, not weeks and again is probably more closely related to body condition and spring greenup than it has anything to do with 'a warm summer'.

Hope this helps. Not trying to harp on ya just getting tired of the 'hunters myths'.

If you don't believe pay attention to females with two legs or have a look at the couple hundred papers that have researched this issue with both wild and 'captive' ungulates.

GoatGuy
06-17-2010, 12:00 AM
First 10 days of Oct would be first choice if I was headed to PG and had a long ways to go.

If you tell us which MU someone might be able to send you to a hot-spot, as opposed to a warm spot.

ytlogger
06-17-2010, 06:28 AM
Keeping in mind that the girls live on a lunar cycle, I usually try for the week after the first full moon in September. Rut will usually just be starting then, so calling may be tentative. It depends on what you want in a hunt and in your moose. We prefer our moose to be a little less rutty, but you won't likely be eating the liver by then anyway. Last week in September would be in my slot this year. I live a good bit north of Prince and we will sometimes get 'false rut' if there is a full moon at the end of August or a Blue Moon in September, where they start calling and acting bold for a day or so then settle down again. Bulls should be stormin' by early October.

moosecaller
06-17-2010, 07:45 AM
First week to 10 days of October around Prince is always good. Nice crisp mornings, enjoy your time here.

Sitkaspruce
06-17-2010, 07:58 AM
The most success for me has been the last 4 days of Sept into the first week of Oct. Call like crazy and they shall come....if they are there. Do not leave it to late, like after Oct 10th, as the wood fill up pretty fast with all the cow/calf hunters and some MU's will feel like downtown Vancouver.

What MU??

Good luck on the hunt.

Cheers

SS

06-17-2010, 08:15 AM
Again,
I soly call moose. And plan to go first two weeks of Oct. It has been a while since I havent been able to call something in at this time of year.
Dont worry about the weather, just plan on the start of October.

303carbine
06-17-2010, 04:41 PM

The weather has nothing to do with the rut, it's the shorter days that triggers the rut.

kennyj
06-17-2010, 04:55 PM
We,re heading up on the 2nd of Oct. Expecting huge bulls to be thrashing around all over the place on the 5th to the 8th of Oct.
kenny

moosinaround
06-17-2010, 07:09 PM
The weather has nothing to do with the rut, it's the shorter days that triggers the rut.
Yah Bowzone Mikey!! Get it straight!! The weather has absolutely NOTHING to do with it!!!:wink::wink::)Moosin

303carbine
06-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Yah Bowzone Mikey!! Get it straight!! The weather has absolutely NOTHING to do with it!!!:wink::wink::)Moosin

I have seen some warm hunting seasons up north, the critters still manage to rut despite the forecast. The colder days start to happen right around the days start to get shorter. How do you think critters in very hot climates manage to mate and have little ones?? If they were waiting for the cold weather, there would be no offspring.:-D

gameslayer
06-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Last week of September first week of October, I think it will be better action a little early than late, as some of the big bulls will be held up with several cows perhaps deep in the bush and have no reason to move as the cows cycle progresses, just prior to their heat the bulls will still be actively moving and looking for/ sniffing for action. Late September, early October, even late October you will always be able to call in bulls in a decent area, it is just the frequency/ number of bulls that will change . Hot weather will slow down the bulls movement as well.

22savage
06-17-2010, 09:43 PM
I read that 80% of cows are bred by the first week of october.

vanislehunter1
06-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the great advice guys! The M.U. is 7-13 and we only picked it because we had success there a few years ago. This is our first hunting for BULL moose, so i'm really hoping that it isnt the complete opposite of hunting for cow/calf moose. If anyone has any hotspots you are more than welcome to share! :lol:

303carbine
06-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the great advice guys! The M.U. is 7-13 and we only picked it because we had success there a few years ago. This is our first hunting for BULL moose, so i'm really hoping that it isnt the complete opposite of hunting for cow/calf moose. If anyone has any hotspots you are more than welcome to share! :lol:

The 15th of October in 7-16 was always good for moose, the biggest one I ever dropped was in that area. Good ole 7mm mag launching 160 grain Partition's.

hunter1947
06-18-2010, 02:45 AM
I like getting any game animal as soon as the GOS has opened for that animal you are going to hunt ,better tasting meat if you get them before they are rutted out.

BCrams
06-18-2010, 09:44 AM
7-13 is a great zone for moose!! Might as well be packing elk tags and calls as there are a fair number of elk spread out through the region in pockets. They love those wetlands / creek / river areas as much as moose do.

northof49
06-18-2010, 09:59 PM
First 10 days of Oct would be first choice if I was headed to PG and had a long ways to go.

If you tell us which MU someone might be able to send you to a hot-spot, as opposed to a warm spot.
Goat is bang on. Oct 4th to 7th has always been good to me around PiG. Crisp mornings always get em moving. Make sure to give yourself enuf time.

kyleklassen
06-18-2010, 11:40 PM
never had a problem limitng in 7-26 in the 2nd and 3rd week of oct.....k.k.