PDA

View Full Version : Clearwater Moose 3-40?? Info greatly appreciated?!

malahatmike
06-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Never been to Clearwater, heard it has great deer hunting and put in for the moose bull draw and got it for October 1 to 31! Any suggestions for the area would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance from a rookie moose hunter.

butcher
06-17-2010, 03:04 PM
**** you!!!!!!

Spokerider
06-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Hey, I drew a clearwater moose tag too!
Dunno if I`m going to be able to go or not just yet........

SR80
06-17-2010, 03:24 PM
good thing you applied then

Jelvis
06-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Hey malahat is it for all over 3-40 and what bull or cow/calf?
The rut is on and it would be a deadly valid leh moose draw winner, sought after by moose hunters galore, it's a winner tag, you lucky hunter.
KJel -- talk valid tag information for MU 3-40 Swampdonkey then the info will fall like rain ...

Glassman
06-17-2010, 03:48 PM
I think Raft mountain is around there. Moose are good around there I hear.

butcher
06-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Yep, right on top of Raft Mountain.

Jelvis
06-17-2010, 04:00 PM
We're waiting for the information on your valid leh moose tag Mike the restrictions if any or is it, ..... all of the MU 3-40?
We got to know this stuff for accurate information malahatmike
Jel .. Hole in the Wall .. Raft River .. Mad River .. Avola Mountain .. Corttonwood Flats ..
Talk at us about moose in the mighty 3-40

malahatmike
06-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Its any bull in 3-40 with no restrictions from Oct 1 to Oct 31. Sorry for the delay Jelvis...out of town for a bit.

Jelvis
06-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Any bull in MU 3-40 with no restrictions from October 1 to 31 is unbelievable to say the least, a winner authorized valid any bull moose in MU 3-40 is what hunters are pining for and you nailed it dead center whoa you got a tag and a half their no doubt, even the CO's go for that tag. lol. Congratulations on your hunting luck so far.
I'd be checking out just in behind Avola in the Cottonwood Flats and down the Mad River on the Dennis Lake road driving slow by meadows and water areas early in the morning and towards late afternoon. And up Stratton Creek fsr for some lake and stream action for moose ...
Google it, topo it and we will get this done right here.
Jelly .. You got what appears to be a dynamite validation .. MU 3-40 any bull any where whoa in the rut yet .. You gotta be kiddin me ..
OK let's figure this one out together later .. to the very km mark for you .. first thing Check at Avola for access on your maps so you can see the plan

robertmcallan
06-22-2010, 09:24 PM
[quote=Jelvis;695100]Any bull in MU 3-40 with no restrictions from October 1 to 31 is unbelievable to say the least, a winner authorized valid any bull moose in MU 3-40 is what hunters are pining for and you nailed it dead center whoa you got a tag and a half their no doubt, even the CO's go for that tag. lol. Congratulations on your hunting luck so far.
I'd be checking out just in behind Avola in the Cottonwood Flats and down the Mad River on the Dennis Lake road driving slow by meadows and water areas early in the morning and towards late afternoon. And up Stratton Creek fsr for some lake and stream action for moose ...
Google it, topo it and we will get this done right here.
Jelly .. You got what appears to be a dynamite validation .. MU 3-40 any bull any where whoa in the rut yet .. You gotta be kiddin me ..
OK let's figure this one out together later .. to the very km mark for you .. first thing Check at Avola for access on your maps so you can see the plan[/qu
thank for the info their jelvis i have the same draw

Jelvis
06-22-2010, 09:43 PM
That's great robert take a good look at Avola access on your Backroad Mapbook and see these spots for now and get some idea of directions and some distances figured out and try google earth too so you can visualize a bit.
... Later we can look at a spot and get the approx km distance coordinated.
Jel .. Your welcome and look at the area with a decent map ..4 now.

ees
06-22-2010, 10:39 PM
Hey There
I've been hunting deer up in that area for a while both in Oct and Nov. The deer population has taken a big hit over the last few years from lots of hunters and WOLVES, WOLVES and More WOLVES confirmed by the CO's and from our accounts but we have seen moose from Roundtop (and along the powerlines) all the way along the Raft, Mad and out to Avola along the Mad river. They winter in the hole in the wall area but dont show up there till late in the season. Nov-Dec. Hope you have some success. Dont be afraid to get way up away from the roads on top of raft and along the treeline they wander up there too.

Good luck

dana
06-23-2010, 04:56 PM
What Jelvis fails to mention is the bulk of Cottonwood Flats are private. But how would he know since he's never been there and is just pulling stuff out of his a$$.

BCrams
06-23-2010, 05:01 PM
What Jelvis fails to mention is the bulk of Cottonwood Flats are private. But how would he know since he's never been there and is just pulling stuff out of his a$$.

Kinda like the Robson / Dunster / McBride area. :roll:

Jelvis
06-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Haha we're all coming up to 3-40 and getting a moose and deer. lol.
Your getting nervous eh? lol. I figured you would be, and you have a right to be lol.
Jel .. The locals getting nervous lol. Birch Island is a long way from Avola mountain lol and so is McBride.

dana
06-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Jelvis,
I really could give a rat's a$$ if non-locals want to come up and hunt moose and deer in 3-40. Giving bad advice and getting peoples hopes up is what I have a problem with. If you really think just spouting off names off a map helps people, you are sadly mistaken. Using your Cottonwood Flats advice as an example, you could end up getting someone in hotwater for hunting on private land. And guess what, nope, it's not posted very well. But still private none the less.
The facts are out-of-towners like this guy pose zero threat to any animal I myself am hunting. If you ain't ever been to the area before, and you think some clown's advice on the internet is going to get ya success the first time out, you more than likely will have your hopes dashed and will come home empty handed. That's the cold hard truth of the matter. Like I've said before, do your research ahead of time. If you want to explore, explore. But don't think you will be bringing home a 200 inch muley and a 60 inch bull just because some guy on the internet says you will. Especially because that whacked out HBC member never leaves the comfort of his own computer screen. :twisted:

Jelvis
06-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Hey Dana your the guy braggin last week you wouldn't help no one find a spot, so this write - up just proves your point, you not only won't try to help other hunters but take another step of discouraging them with total fear tactics and baffling with bs on top of it.
Jel -- 3-40 is a large huge MU with moose and deer and when and if an area is private there will be a fence around it as simple as dat. Oh yah you say, "like this guy." this guy has a handle ..at least use some respect for hunters .. MOE has 3-40 open for LEH so too bad for you .. GUY

SUAFOYT
06-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Jelvis,
I really could give a rat's a$$ if non-locals want to come up and hunt moose and deer in 3-40. Giving bad advice and getting peoples hopes up is what I have a problem with. If you really think just spouting off names off a map helps people, you are sadly mistaken. Using your Cottonwood Flats advice as an example, you could end up getting someone in hotwater for hunting on private land. And guess what, nope, it's not posted very well. But still private none the less.
The facts are out-of-towners like this guy pose zero threat to any animal I myself am hunting. If you ain't ever been to the area before, and you think some clown's advice on the internet is going to get ya success the first time out, you more than likely will have your hopes dashed and will come home empty handed. That's the cold hard truth of the matter. Like I've said before, do your research ahead of time. If you want to explore, explore. But don't think you will be bringing home a 200 inch muley and a 60 inch bull just because some guy on the internet says you will. Especially because that whacked out HBC member never leaves the comfort of his own computer screen. :twisted:

Initially I had no issues with the posts from him as I figured if it turns your crank then go for it. But I have to agree that they are definitely getting weirder and weirder. Most of them now make no sense at all, and the stuff at the end of each post is tiresome. I don't read any of them at all now.

Jelvis
06-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Suck it up Princess's lol.

dana
06-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Actually Jelvis I did indeed just help this guy by telling him that the bulk of the Cottonwood Flats are private. This might just keep the guy from making a serious mistake by shooting a moose in what looks like a swamp, but is instead a flooded out homestead. Avola ain't the place you want to be screwing around on local's property. Chances are, the CO will be the least of your worries.

Jelvis
06-23-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm sure the two fellas will be able to figure that out they are adults and MOE wouldn't open MU 3-40 for LEH moose if it was not a hunting area.
jelly .. It's an access point from that spot behind Avola just before crossing the N Thompson river. Heck drive all the way down and take a gander.
Van Damme loves the spot he goes to the Mad River and into Avola area.
He's a CO. lol. What does that tell yah lol.

22savage
06-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Not everybody is looking for 60 inch bulls or 200 inch muleys most hunter's are looking for good table fair and will take the first legal animal they get a shot at .Only 2% of hunters are trophy hunter's so your big bucks and bull's should be safe.It is the hunter's responsibility to know where he can hunt and most co's will help steer you in the right direction.

Jelvis
06-23-2010, 08:25 PM
No one even mentioned 60 inchers and 200 mules but Dana he must have them stuck in his brain, new hunters with leh's just want to get out and see the MU 3-40 at Avola and enjoy Cotton wood flats and Avola Mountain and the Mad River valley with it's wild life and gorgeous meadows and swamps.
After all the Crown owns it and the MOE runs it and encourages all hunters to get out and fill that Lucky LEH for moose in Avola area MU 3-40
Good luck to all hunters hunting in MU 3-40
Jel .. you will enjoy it, take some pictures too.

dana
06-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Jelvis,
How's she growing??? How many times does it take to get you to understand, the Crown does not own Cottonwood Flats.

And the meadows up the Mad, guess what PRIVATE! Since you never venture away from your computer and you don't get out, you don't know this now do ya. Might look good on Goggle Earth, but Google Earth doesn't show you the property lines. But, if you look close, I betcha you can see a few houses and straight cutlines indicating logged property lines. ;)

dana
06-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Not everybody is looking for 60 inch bulls or 200 inch muleys most hunter's are looking for good table fair and will take the first legal animal they get a shot at .Only 2% of hunters are trophy hunter's so your big bucks and bull's should be safe.It is the hunter's responsibility to know where he can hunt and most co's will help steer you in the right direction.

As is indicated by the zillion questions on this site regarding "Is It Legal?" where the answers are plainly layed out in the regs, I think there are a ton of internet hunters out there that don't take the responsibility to know where they can hunt. For a newbie, Jelvis might seem to be the godfather of info, to the knowledgeble, Jelly is full of $hit. I've already pointed out 2 info errors of his in this thread alone. Think dana is just trying to protect a secret hidey hole, then go hunt where Jelvis tells ya.

Jelvis
06-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Hey it's like this all over B.C. with farms, ranches, hobby farms we didn't just fall off the moon lol. No ones gonna quit hunting up by the Hole in the Wall, Martin Creek or up Stratton Creek and the Avola Mtn fsr or the Dennis Lake fsr along the Mad River for that matter, pitter patter. I like the Lion creek area higher up myself but hey lots of moose and deer and bear so have at er. So much area and it's wild also. Crown land and owned by our B.C. government.
Jel .. Your up to date on Avola access, on the Avola Mt. fsr is awesome.

dana
06-23-2010, 09:01 PM
You ain't up to date, actually you are a good 30 years behind the times. How old is that book that you keep on quoting? Was it printed before 1980??? Is that why you think Cottonwood Flats is the place to be? Cause back then, it was the mainroad up to Blue. My wife's grandfather used to run the grader on that portion of the road. Back then, I'm sure most of the homesteaders didn't care if you hunted it. Nowadays, totally different story.

Jelvis
06-23-2010, 09:13 PM
My old buddy was the section foreman for the railroad too and knows the Cottonwood Flats good and the old hwy, lots a moose in thar Billy.
Pounded lots of spikes in there on the old track Jack.
He could do 40 one arm pull ups on a overhead bar and 80 two arms and has wrists the size of 2x4's.
Jel .. Some hi$tory on the Messiter Station .. your in the know ..

BlacktailStalker
06-23-2010, 09:18 PM
I dont think I know anyone who can do a one arm pull up.. my buddies grandpa is a tough old codger though, he was well known for being able to bend a railroad spike with his bare hands.

Jelvis
06-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Bend a railroad spike with his bare hands? Wholly cow, that guy was some kinda strong.
Those old railroaders could work long days and were tough, the old fella I know says no one knows what hard work is now a days, he laughs at the young guys. He chewed nails and spat rust.
Jel .. those old railroaders were tuff mothers ..

Jelvis
06-27-2010, 11:42 AM
I talked to a government guy about the Cottonwood flats area, and he said Cottonwood Flats is only partially private, the rest is open for hunting.
Jel .. Good deer in there too so get a whitetail tag ..