PDA

View Full Version : Where is BC??

blackbart
06-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Hello all. I just recieved a couple of leh tags for BC and am wondering where BC is? If you can give me some suggestions on the best place to go I sure would appreciate it. Tags are for critters called roosevelt elk and sheep (the sheep is near a town called Kamloops), I sure hope that they are good to eat. I know that I should have looked into the details prior to applying for the tag, but time and other obligations just didn't allow for it. Pool night, bowling night, the club, bridge night plus other requirements and kids you know. I am confident that those of you that know the areas will be more than willing to help a fella out.

Thanks a lot for the advice in advance. Really looking forward to putting a couple of animals in the freezer.

Will trade bass fishing information in southern texas for advice that pays off.

Signed
HBC members that didn't research their draw choices in advance.

killman
06-16-2010, 08:44 PM
LOL I was going to make the same post. Ya got to wonder.

BiG Boar
06-16-2010, 08:53 PM
That's funny! I didn't research my f'n bison tag, but I got one b*tch! How do you like them apples?

Btw anyone with bison info please pm me for the b Zone.

BCrams
06-16-2010, 09:01 PM
That's funny! I didn't research my f'n bison tag, but I got one b*tch! How do you like them apples?

Btw anyone with bison info please pm me for the b Zone.

Stay at Hammets place. If you're dead set on getting a bison, he'll give you a guide at a fair rate if they're not busy guiding clients. Saves yourself a heck of a lot of work.

M.Dean
06-16-2010, 09:04 PM
I kinda thought that's what this site was about, helping other hunters? So, if you've never been to a area you can't put in a draw??? You think every one that puts in for Buffalo has been to Pink Mnt!!! I guess if you need help this isn't the site!

mark
06-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Hey Bartman, not everyone knows every inch of B.C. Why would someone scout out pink mountain for bison if odds are you will never get the draw???
Maybe I should drive down to Van Isl every weekend and go hiking just incase I get a rosie draw before I die????
Should we drive to dease lake find some G bears then start applying for the draw????
If someone is fishing for info on something that is GOS, then that's just plain lazy.
But... someone gets a draw, you cant hunt it anyways, why not help a guy out!

22savage
06-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Yeah really who would want to learn new areas and check out BC when you could just stick with what you know or what you could find out on the internet. Why would you want to challange yourself like that .

.330 Dakota
06-16-2010, 09:10 PM
Hey Bartman, not everyone knows every inch of B.C. Why would someone scout out pink mountain for bison if odds are you will never get the draw???
Maybe I should drive down to Van Isl every weekend and go hiking just incase I get a rosie draw before I die????
Should we drive to dease lake find some G bears then start applying for the draw????
If someone is fishing for info on something that is GOS, then that's just plain lazy.

Well Said,,,Why not help a guy out...

peashooter
06-16-2010, 09:10 PM
mark, i got a mulie doe draw in the same area you got the hawg. just wondering if you could show me around. :wink:

bad arrow
06-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Did you get a draw blackbart? lol

Brew
06-16-2010, 09:11 PM
I didn't scout out island elk before I put in and guess what I got it. Thats what this sight is for. I give knowledge out to people all the time and when I ask for help there are a lot of great guys willing to do the same. Plus it june, there 3 month before hunting season to scout.

NaStY
06-16-2010, 09:27 PM

I didn't scout out island elk before I put in and guess what I got it. Thats what this sight is for. I give knowledge out to people all the time and when I ask for help there are a lot of great guys willing to do the same. Plus it june, there 3 month before hunting season to scout.

Yup that's what this site is about. If you don't like it then leave.

I for one do not have the money to travel all of BC just to hope to one day be given the opportunity to hunt what some have to in there back yard. I am willing to give it my all, when I am given an LEH for that area. All I do ask is a little guidance in hopes that i am able to connect with. In return I will help others in there search as well as be able to teach my kids at the same time. After all this is about our future too right?

IslandHunterBXL
06-16-2010, 09:35 PM
i dont like it when ppl put in for island elk archery only season cause of the better odds but they have never shot an arrow before.

yukon john
06-16-2010, 09:39 PM
If you cant get help here where can you, I like helping guys out

Gunner Staal
06-16-2010, 09:43 PM
I enjoy seeing a guy you help out have success just as much as having it myself. I certainly hope that guys dont feel they cant ask for a hand when they need it. Hell i'll come help ya pack it out. Thats what its all about. Keep it comin boys....hell I dont be doin much readin but I loves chasin critters!!!!!!

Frango
06-16-2010, 09:45 PM
[quote=blackbart;693994]Hello all. I just recieved a couple of leh tags for BC and am wondering where BC is? If you can give me some suggestions on the best place to go I sure would appreciate it. Tags are for critters called roosevelt elk and sheep (the sheep is near a town called Kamloops), I sure hope that they are good to eat. I know that I should have looked into the details prior to applying for the tag, but time and other obligations just didn't allow for it. Pool night, bowling night, the club, bridge night plus other requirements and kids you know. I am confident that those of you that know the areas will be more than willing to help a fella out.

Thanks a lot for the advice in advance. Really looking forward to putting a couple of animals in the freezer.

Signed
HBC members that didn't research their draw choices in advance.[This post is too funny

RJ
06-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Its the 1 or 2 post people asking for honey holes that make me chuckle. I think if people are contributing then whats the problem with giving them a few pointers. If not for that then HBC would just be a place for people to brag about their kills and not much more

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
06-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Hello all. I just recieved a couple of leh tags for BC and am wondering where BC is? If you can give me some suggestions on the best place to go I sure would appreciate it. Tags are for critters called roosevelt elk and sheep (the sheep is near a town called Kamloops), I sure hope that they are good to eat. I know that I should have looked into the details prior to applying for the tag, but time and other obligations just didn't allow for it. Pool night, bowling night, the club, bridge night plus other requirements and kids you know. I am confident that those of you that know the areas will be more than willing to help a fella out.

Signed

LOOKS LIKE YOUR GETTING TORN A NEW ONE *****:mrgreen:

bad arrow
06-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Yup that's what this site is about. If you don't like it then leave.

I for one do not have the money to travel all of BC just to hope to one day be given the opportunity to hunt what some have to in there back yard. I am willing to give it my all, when I am given an LEH for that area. All I do ask is a little guidance in hopes that i am able to connect with. In return I will help others in there search as well as be able to teach my kids at the same time. After all this is about our future too right?
What he said

killman
06-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Lighten up, I agree with him. I am sure there are lots of others that do as well. That's why so many draws get wasted. Hmmmmmm seemed like a good idea at the time, but now that is -20 and 5 feet of snow maybe I will just stay home.

Gateholio
06-16-2010, 10:19 PM
i dont like it when ppl put in for island elk archery only season cause of the better odds but they have never shot an arrow before.

I always put in for archery areas for Island elk. If I get a tag,I'll just buy a compound and be good to go for the opening. No luck yet!:-D

mud-dog27
06-16-2010, 10:23 PM
jeez i assume you have nevered asked for info on anything, question for ya, is life boring being a know-it-all?

lip_ripper00
06-16-2010, 10:26 PM
What make a member a preimer member? Go back and look at people like ssrupp, hunter47, these guys are real champs willing to help other hunters fullfil their goals, myself I don't know much. I am here to learn.

bsa30-06
06-16-2010, 10:47 PM
I dont know alot, but i have provided some very detailed info on a certain area to a few members who have asked.Just pm`d some info yesterday to a member who asked for help.I have also had members help me out with info.I see nothing wrong with helping out other members.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-16-2010, 11:10 PM
BC is the Black hole on the map west of the Rocky Mts for the most part and north of the USA All animals are gone ....

Please go hunt Dogs with horns in Alabama

Ghost Stalker
06-16-2010, 11:17 PM
PM goes long way sometimes.

BigBanger
06-17-2010, 12:47 AM
I put in for some places I don't know. I also hunt in places I don't know.
I put in for places I know. I also hunt in places I know.
I don't care if a tag gets waisted because if I did not get the tag it's not about me and there is nothing I could do.

06-17-2010, 08:31 AM
There definatly is a certain bit of secrecy to everyones best spots. But there is still alot of help to be given on a broad scale. I dont see where the problem is for people asking where to go or how to do it.
I used to get mad on the coast fishing with people being sarcastic and snotty when people asked for help or a spot to fish. It is the Frickin Pacific Ocean! it is not the spot that makes a fisherman it is how you fish it.
It is not the spot that makes a hunter it is how you hunt it. BC is a big place.

If you dont want to help fine, but dont trash people that are asking for help.

browningboy
06-17-2010, 09:15 AM
Just follow the empties and you will find me and my secret hunting spots, dont let the brands fool you, we always switch up, especially when sheep hunting, jager bombs:mrgreen:...

luckynuts
06-17-2010, 10:03 AM
Hmmm looks like your post backfired:-D

Though you should do a little reasearch before you put in. how much is it going to cost me and can i get the time off sort of thing.:wink:

love the comments I'm still laughing.......

IslandHunterBXL
06-17-2010, 10:39 AM
I always put in for archery areas for Island elk. If I get a tag,I'll just buy a compound and be good to go for the opening. No luck yet!:-D
3 months is hardly enough time to become a confident compound shooter. If you get lucky and get a draw id highly recommend a getting a lesson or two from a good instructor. Worth every penny. When i started i was all over the map for months, then a couple lessons and i was dialed right in. cheers

srupp
06-17-2010, 11:27 AM
I agree we all cant be knowlegable about every place,however a moose is a moose is a moose...generally the same methods efforts ,work...maybe a bit different in timing of the rut..

Guys spend a lot of time and $$$ to do this sport and it is EXPECTED that they do their own homework...no one (not many) will show you where the big ones are exactly..

Roads, general areas, different bays, or hill sides, when and how..is friendly way of helping .And what goes around comes around..or should..it always has for me...

i genuinly get a kick fro helping someone get their big game animals..and there are not alot of folks that know Grizzlies that well...and some "extra " help could save a life..

There ARE a lot of folks willing and do in deed help just more privatley then myself..done by Pm and phone calls...

This IS the finest hunting site I have visited, well run, most times courteous..and the folks that really know their stuff..are numerous and very helpful I have come here with decades of experiences, knowlege ,skills and not without some lengthy successes..that all being said I learn something every day, by reading, meeting, studying and trying to understand the others here that have a lot more formal education ie BCRAMS, or experience Willy442, Bigwhitey, Bighornbob,David heitsman, Chilcotinhillbilly etc etc etc etc etc etc etc..

When it doesnt get personal or angry even the disagreements are educational..

I at one time this spring had 21 grizzly hunters out prowling the Cariboo for bears..it was my pleasure to do whatever I could to help...and already have 6 fall grizzly bear hunters call me...no big deal,,but I dont expect someone to call and ask where the ROAD is into Kwatna ..some work is expected..

I enjoy going new places just to see whats over in the next valley...exploration..and Tim also feels the same way..sometimes its so new it needs a bit of local knowlege...and I have asked for help and recieved it each and every time from knowlegable folks who stepped up , knowing the area or having been there or ....

So I APPRECIATE this site, its members, its moderators and all the wonderful knowlege that goes back and forth each and every day..most times without fur patches being ripped out:wink::mrgreen:

Thanks to all

Steven

Krico
06-17-2010, 11:28 AM
If you dont want to help fine, but dont trash people that are asking for help.

This pretty much sums it up for me.

Don't want to help? No problem, that's your choice.

Want to? Great. Post it up, or send the guy a pm.

I've never understood the need to taunt people with information you have and are unwilling to share.

Gateholio
06-17-2010, 11:35 AM
3 months is hardly enough time to become a confident compound shooter. If you get lucky and get a draw id highly recommend a getting a lesson or two from a good instructor. Worth every penny. When i started i was all over the map for months, then a couple lessons and i was dialed right in. cheers

3 months would be plenty of time for me. YMMV

:wink:

mfarrally
06-17-2010, 11:43 AM

Signed

Its called an adventure. Going hunting somewhere you've never been is exciting. Not everyone has the time and money to do a scouting trip to 7 58 for bison or 6- 29 for dalls. I got 3 draws this year and I've never been to any of the places. Anyone new to hunting don't feel like you can't put in for an area cause you haven't been there. Its your province too. There just a bunch of babies out there that cry ever year they don't get a draw in there back yard. Harden up and go for a drive girls

Ddog
06-17-2010, 11:45 AM
what gets me , for lots of people that put in for animals that are only a few hours from home, go do your scouting, make a week-end of it, look at maps and then go, it drives me up the wall when i see those posts.
i help lots of guys out on here when they want to come to the EK to do some hunting, its not like the animals will all get killed, i understand when its like a half-day or full day drive to get somewhere when you have limited time, because most of still have to work and do not have the extra time because of family obligations and what not.
i have met some real good people from this site and helped them out with areas to go to, and some have become good friends now.
i will help those people out if they need it.
but for guys that put in for tags that are only a couple of hours from them i do not respond to the post. In my books thats just silly.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
06-17-2010, 12:06 PM
I have received 10 p.m already for bison and returned them all with the best info and tips i have and welcome more!! it's a long way to come up and go home empty handed it dose not matter to me where you stay when your up here! what matters is that you enjoy your hunt and harvest your animal big or good eating....they are all trophies!! that old saying PAY IT FORWARD and maybe next year i might get a draw....

cheers Jamie

Darksith
06-17-2010, 12:36 PM
3 months would be plenty of time for me. YMMV

:wink:
If you think you can become a competent and confident bow hunter who has never done it before and is gonna buy their first bow and have 3 months to learn how to shoot, you are crazy. Not only will you most likely blow the shot, but you'll probably leave a wounded animal in the bush. If you think you can learn to bow hunt in 3 months, you better practice full time. Plus once you get out there and have a big elk stomping around you you will probably wish you had of taken up the sport much earlier. Unfortunately they allow crossbows, which IMO shouldn't be considered a bow. Anyway, cheers to whoever thinks they can just buy a bow and learn to shoot it well enough to hunt a large game animal in 3 months.

PS - what are ethics?

Moose72
06-17-2010, 12:40 PM
If you think you can become a competent and confident bow hunter who has never done it before and is gonna buy their first bow and have 3 months to learn how to shoot, you are crazy. Not only will you most likely blow the shot, but you'll probably leave a wounded animal in the bush. If you think you can learn to bow hunt in 3 months, you better practice full time. Plus once you get out there and have a big elk stomping around you you will probably wish you had of taken up the sport much earlier. Unfortunately they allow crossbows, which IMO shouldn't be considered a bow. Anyway, cheers to whoever thinks they can just buy a bow and learn to shoot it well enough to hunt a large game animal in 3 months.

PS - what are ethics?

I have a funny feeling he is joking.

Darksith
06-17-2010, 12:48 PM
I have a funny feeling he is joking.
he might of, but the guy above him wasn't!

Gateholio
06-17-2010, 01:30 PM

PS - what are ethics?

What has ethics got to do with it? :confused:

I'm not making a joke, if I ever get an Island archery zone elk tag, I'll buy or borrow a compound, practice, and go hunting.

I'd be good to go in 3 months with a compound. Much less if I borrowed a Crossbow. It's not like an elk has a small kill area.

Darksith
06-17-2010, 01:56 PM

I'm not making a joke, if I ever get an Island archery zone elk tag, I'll buy or borrow a compound, practice, and go hunting.

I'd be good to go in 3 months with a compound. Much less if I borrowed a Crossbow. It's not like an elk has a small kill area.
1 question I guess to answer this, have you ever shot a compound bow before?

J_T
06-17-2010, 01:57 PM

I'd be good to go in 3 months with a compound. Much less if I borrowed a Crossbow. It's not like an elk has a small kill area. FYI, buying a bow doesn't make you a bowhunter. Learning to shoot that bow accurately standing square to a 3D target, doesn't mean you will have sufficient information to make good decisions at the moment of truth on a live animal. FYI as a relatively respected individual on here, I would hope you might support a more cautious and informed approach, rather than a cavalier approach. Respect for animal and responsibility to recover is important. In speech and in reality.

Gateholio
06-17-2010, 02:00 PM
1 question I guess to answer this, have you ever shot a compound bow before?

Sure, a few times. I've never owned one. A couple of years ago I tried out my buddy new compound and put 3 arrows into a couple of inches at 35 yards, first try.

Modern compounds are ridiculously easy to shoot.

Gateholio
06-17-2010, 02:16 PM
FYI, buying a bow doesn't make you a bowhunter. Learning to shoot that bow accurately standing square to a 3D target, doesn't mean you will have sufficient information to make good decisions at the moment of truth on a live animal.

What is your knowledge about my ability to make good decisions when shooting at an animal? Or are you just assuming something here?:confused:

FYI as a relatively respected individual on here, I would hope you might support a more cautious and informed approach, rather than a cavalier approach. Respect for animal and responsibility to recover is important. In speech and in reality.

You seem to be taking a pretty cavalier approach in commenting on a topic (me) that you don't seem to have much knowledge about.:wink:

Gateholio
06-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Honestly, some of you guys really crack me up. It seems some people are saying that if a guy was to buy a modern compound bow today and practice diligently through the summer, by the time hunting season rolled around he still would have no business going out and even attempting to bow hunt for deer or elk anything else.

And that if he *did* attempt to bowhunt he woudl be unethical and disrespectful to the animal.

:rolleyes:

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
06-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Honestly, some of you guys really crack me up. It seems some people are saying that if a guy was to buy a modern compound bow today and practice diligently through the summer, by the time hunting season rolled around he still would have no business going out and attempting to bow hunt for deer or elk anything else.

And that if he *did* attempt to bowhunt he woudl be unethical and disrespectful to the animal.

:rolleyes:
i seem to remember you having a bow in your hand in the thread hunting black bear pemby style am i correct? :mrgreen:

J_T
06-17-2010, 02:52 PM
What is your knowledge about my ability to make good decisions when shooting at an animal? Or are you just assuming something here?:confused:

You seem to be taking a pretty cavalier approach in commenting on a topic (me) that you don't seem to have much knowledge about.:wink: My first comment was not an intention to be a reflection of you at all. Yes, I use the word "you" and perhaps should have used "person" for clarity. My second was with respect to your influence on others. And I stand by it. Not at all a reflection of decisions you personally make when in the field. But a reflection of your influence over other less experienced hunters and the decisions they might make.

And you've never judged me?

Your last post is not at all what I or most others are saying. There is more to hunting with a bow than simply buying it, carrying it, and shooting it accurately. I'm just reinforcing the need for all to act responsibly.

Gateholio
06-17-2010, 02:52 PM
i seem to remember you having a bow in your hand in the thread hunting black bear pemby style am i correct? :mrgreen:

No, that was Gilmore. I was behind the scenes....:-D

Tenacious Billy
06-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Sure, a few times. I've never owned one. A couple of years ago I tried out my buddy new compound and put 3 arrows into a couple of inches at 35 yards, first try.

Agreed - I'm no veteran with the bow, but getting comfortable shooting with a compound doesn't take a whole lot of practice. I guess if a guy had twiggy arms and couldn't draw it, then you might need to practice......Getting consistent isn't super difficult.

Gateholio
06-17-2010, 03:07 PM
My first comment was not an intention to be a reflection of you at all. Yes, I use the word "you" and perhaps should have used "person" for clarity. My second was with respect to your influence on others. And I stand by it. Not at all a reflection of decisions you personally make when in the field. But a reflection of your influence over other less experienced hunters and the decisions they might make.

I don't intend to be held accountable for the actions of others. I cannot refrain from commenting on what *I* would do simply because it may influence others to do something similar. I have no control over their actions. It's up to them to actively seek advice rather than just blindly follow....

Your last post is not at all what I or most others are saying.

No? Might want to re-read some of the comments here. That is exactly what is being said.

If you think you can become a competent and confident bow hunter who has never done it before and is gonna buy their first bow and have 3 months to learn how to shoot, you are crazy. Not only will you most likely blow the shot, but you'll probably leave a wounded animal in the bush

3 months is hardly enough time to become a confident compound shooter

FYI, buying a bow doesn't make you a bowhunter. Learning to shoot that bow accurately standing square to a 3D target, doesn't mean you will have sufficient information to make good decisions at the moment of truth on a live animal

At one point a guy that wants to go hunting has to shit or get off the pot...How long does he have to practice, shoot at 3D targets, study animal anatomy etc before it's "ethical" for him to go out and TRY to bowhunt?

There is more to hunting with a bow than simply buying it, carrying it, and shooting it accurately. I'm just reinforcing the need for all to act responsibly.

Maybe you should have just left me out of it then:wink:

Kody94
06-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Getting reasonable groups on a target on a flat range with a compound is no big feat. It is, however, orders of magnitude more simple than being able to consistently make good bow shots under field conditions.

Whether 3 months is "long enough" to practice has a lot more to do with where your skill level really ends up in the end, and the kind of shots you would/should be willing to "attempt" on a living animal.

Personally, I would have done exactly what Gatehouse has stated that he'd do. After some experience, I know that my shot selection (distance, angle, alterness of game, obstacles like branches etc) would have "ethically" had to be very limited however. This was learned after some years of improving my skills (and knowing afterward how little I knew before) and from some hard experience.

As an example, my very first experience bow-"hunting" was 16 years ago. It was during the early bow season for elk and I was glassing some slides while helping get a cabin ready for the rifle season that started a few days later. There were a few elk up on the slides, including a couple of raghorns, which were open in the bow season. My friend offered to lend me his bow if I wanted to go after those bulls. I had only shot a compound a few times so I initially declined, but my friend said try it out and see. I did and shot a little group at 30 yards, and then headed up the hill, with malice aforthought. A couple hours later I managed to bugle out a big 5x6 and got him to within 20 yards. I got a shot, after he had sensed something was wrong and was turned and walking away. It was a clean miss...thankfully. It could have turned out a lot worse.

The problem that J_T and darksith are referring to, is that there is a lot more to making good shots on game, under field conditions, than there is to hitting a pie plate at 35 yards. Angles make huge differences, etc. So does shooting from various positions. Knowing the trajectory of the arrow and how to "thread the needle" in the bush takes some practice. 3 months is not a lot of time to do this. But if you know your limitations after a short period, and can stick to them, 3 months is not an unreasonably short amount of time to prep. I don't think its something that should be recommended without that kind of qualification though....there are enough animals running around with arrows sticking out of them already, and the effectiveness of the bow is not the problem...

ADDED: To summarize my point, I have no issues with folks that buy a bow, practice a little and head to the field to learn "on the job". What's important is that they understand how difficult it really is to make clean, ethical kills with a bow under many field conditions, know their own personal limitations and try to stay within them.

dana
06-17-2010, 05:30 PM
Back to the topic at hand, I think that this site is for hunters not fishermen. If you are fishing for info, then I ain't giving it to ya. The loads of threads post LEH saying I got such and such draw, never been there, please tell me where to kill an animal, are no more than fishing trips. If you want the adventure, then go explore. Don't expect that people with the knowledge are going to give it to 1 post wonders just because they are on the same internet site.

cloverphil
06-17-2010, 05:45 PM
why wouldn't a person want to scout an area they're hoping to hunt if they are never hoping to win the draw, we've got all summer to go camping with the kids and scout for grizzly or climb mountains for sheep, although I'm not sure my 7 yr old daughter could climb a mountain yet

besides it would be easier to just go to the "grocery store where meat is made" than do all that extra scouting just in case I win :mrgreen:

my daughter moved to Prince George, so I put in for a moose draw, and I freaking won, guess I'm going to PG in Oct. , never been to PG before:-D

should be an adventure, she says she's seen lots of moose near town

HD95
06-17-2010, 07:17 PM
I have received 10 p.m already for bison and returned them all with the best info and tips i have and welcome more!! it's a long way to come up and go home empty handed it dose not matter to me where you stay when your up here! what matters is that you enjoy your hunt and harvest your animal big or good eating....they are all trophies!! that old saying PAY IT FORWARD and maybe next year i might get a draw....

cheers Jamie
Good on you,Jamie!!!!

M.Dean
06-17-2010, 07:32 PM
The day I'm "Too Good" or "Above" helping some one out, I'll sell my guns and buy a Golf Cart!

cloverphil
06-17-2010, 07:43 PM
The day I'm "Too Good" or "Above" helping some one out, I'll sell my guns and buy a Golf Cart!
lol . . . I dunno about golf, my aim is way better with a rifle than a golf club :mrgreen:

I think we have all needed help at one time or another, but I try not to ask since I don't have much to offer in return, not much big game in Surrey, a few cougars though http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

lostindian
06-17-2010, 08:02 PM
I will help anyone with info on the island if I can,it's not like they are going to wipe out all the game animals there is lots to go around.I've only hunted on the mainland twice and it was in 5-02 for moose never been there before so my uncle took me up there.Never did get any thing but its was a great trip !:) I'm just glad there are people on this site that are willing and able to share info on hunting the mainland and what areas to try no one is expected to give up their honey hole!:)

dana
06-17-2010, 09:11 PM
I can tell ya the Pay it forward line is a load of crap. The majority of the time it's give me, give me, give me and nothing ever in return. Hell, most barely can squeek out a thank you. There is a new breed of hunter out there and they don't have the basics of manners. I've helped a $hitload of hunters and it gets a little annoying to see the same threads year after year and receive the same PM's. The slightest little bit of research is too much work for most. There is a search function on this site. Most don't even know how to use it. Do I think I'm too good to help? Nope. I instead am tired of being USED with only a few hunters ever giving anything back. And BTW, I have never asked anyone on the internet where to hunt. If I want to hunt a critter, I do my research in season and out of season and figure out my own strategies. Sometimes it takes years to figure it out. That is hunting. If you think a Jelvis type answer is going to lead ya to the big 'uns, you are going to be sadly mistaken. Get out, do your own research and enjoy this province. If you got a LEH draw for an area you don't know, well, get to know it. Or else be prepared to be skunked.

bayou
06-17-2010, 09:24 PM
I can tell ya the Pay it forward line is a load of crap. The majority of the time it's give me, give me, give me and nothing ever in return. Hell, most barely can squeek out a thank you. There is a new breed of hunter out there and they don't have the basics of manners. I've helped a $hitload of hunters and it gets a little annoying to see the same threads year after year and receive the same PM's. The slightest little bit of research is too much work for most. There is a search function on this site. Most don't even know how to use it. Do I think I'm too good to help? Nope. I instead and tired of being USED with only a few hunters ever giving anything back.
What info you looking for maybe someone will help you out.

dana
06-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Why don't you start with telling me where to find a monster muley. ;)

bayou
06-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Well according to bcrams on a goat info thread he says the beaverfoot, sort of. Ive heard clearwater area has produced some as well but never seen any pictures of any posted on this site.

dana
06-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Yea, I hear Clearwater is the Best. Never been there before but I hear there are Booners behind every tree. That is why I put in for Moose and Mountain goat there. I got both draws. Could you please tell me where the moose are? I'd really like to shoot a 60 inch bull and a billy with 6 inch bases. I'll only get out of my truck on warm sunny days. That is when I like to tear up the alpine with my quad. Because I don't live anywhere close, I'll just throw my garbage over my shoulder and let someone else clean it up.

mud-dog27
06-17-2010, 09:48 PM
jeez some people around here get pissy......seems like some need to go out and take a walk and relax.

bad arrow
06-17-2010, 10:00 PM
I dont mind helping someone out if they ask, I'm more than happy to point someone in the right direction if they are sincere, but I also hear what Dana is saying because it pisses me off when I tell someone exactly where to go then they post (where should I go hunting) when I just fugging told them, its like they were not serious to begin with. I enjoy pointing a young hunter to the right bush after his quarry to give them a good chance at success, all I want is someone to be sincere about it. I'm going to a strange place to hunt this year and I'll ask someone where to go too, I just have to figure out who.

blackbart
06-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks for all of the great responses. HBC is a great site with lots of information and different opinions. The orig post was tongue in cheek sarcism for those of you that may have missed the point. Morphed into a thread on the ethics of bowhunting and then back to the orig point. BTW I fully believe that Gatehouse could out bow hunt many of the so called bow guru's! Heck I even have one myself and go hunting with it on occassion.

Marc runs a fantastic site and it is each person's personal choice as to how much, if any information they give out to others via the www. If memory stands correct I have even shot PM or two to some of the critics regarding their "non-local" draws so suck on that B*tch! (not meant to offend most site members, but rather in response to one of the replies)

Some fella's on the site also have routine success in GOS and get hounded on where to go. To me this is not fair, you should celebrate their success and be curious of the tactics as opposed to the location. I have learned a fair bit on some tactics from those that post them - to this my thanks.

Good luck to all in 2010, if you fish for information from other please be kind enough to thank them properly. Check out pages # 9-11 of the old green colour CORE book as a reminder on how to act. BTW this is more valid now during the era of the www than it was when first published.

BB

BCrams
06-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Well according to bcrams on a goat info thread he says the beaverfoot, sort of. Ive heard clearwater area has produced some as well but never seen any pictures of any posted on this site.

No idea these days. I 'know' there were a couple legitimate 200" plus bucks in some craggy alpine areas off the Beaverfoot in 1997 as viewed in August that year. It really sucked to have to go back to school before season opened. :-|

I'm sure there are still some good muley bucks in a particular section of alpine area but maybe things have changed. I doubt I'd ever get down there to hunt in my lifetime anyways!

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
06-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Thanks for all of the great responses. HBC is a great site with lots of information and different opinions. The orig post was tongue in cheek sarcism for those of you that may have missed the point. Morphed into a thread on the ethics of bowhunting and then back to the orig point. BTW I fully believe that Gatehouse could out bow hunt many of the so called bow guru's! Heck I even have one myself and go hunting with it on occassion.

Marc runs a fantastic site and it is each person's personal choice as to how much, if any information they give out to others via the www. If memory stands correct I have even shot PM or two to some of the critics regarding their "non-local" draws so suck on that B*tch! (not meant to offend most site members, but rather in response to one of the replies)

Some fella's on the site also have routine success in GOS and get hounded on where to go. To me this is not fair, you should celebrate their success and be curious of the tactics as opposed to the location. I have learned a fair bit on some tactics from those that post them - to this my thanks.

Good luck to all in 2010, if you fish for information from other please be kind enough to thank them properly. Check out pages # 9-11 of the old green colour CORE book as a reminder on how to act. BTW this is more valid now during the era of the www than it was when first published.

BB
good on ya, took a ripen and kept on ticking
cheers jamie

Jagermeister
06-17-2010, 11:31 PM
I can tell ya the Pay it forward line is a load of crap. The majority of the time it's give me, give me, give me and nothing ever in return. Hell, most barely can squeek out a thank you. There is a new breed of hunter out there and they don't have the basics of manners. I've helped a $hitload of hunters and it gets a little annoying to see the same threads year after year and receive the same PM's. The slightest little bit of research is too much work for most. There is a search function on this site. Most don't even know how to use it. Do I think I'm too good to help? Nope. I instead am tired of being USED with only a few hunters ever giving anything back. And BTW, I have never asked anyone on the internet where to hunt. If I want to hunt a critter, I do my research in season and out of season and figure out my own strategies. Sometimes it takes years to figure it out. That is hunting. If you think a Jelvis type answer is going to lead ya to the big 'uns, you are going to be sadly mistaken. Get out, do your own research and enjoy this province. If you got a LEH draw for an area you don't know, well, get to know it. Or else be prepared to be skunked.I like this post because Dana saved me the time by writing something that I too believe.
There are some key sentences in his post that need to be reiterated.
1. "If I want to hunt a critter, I do my research in season and out of season and figure out my own strategies."
2. "Sometimes it takes years to figure it out. That is hunting."
3. "Get out, do your own research and enjoy this province."
4. "If you got a LEH draw for an area you don't know, well, get to know it."
And, number 5, "Or else be prepared to be skunked."

Basically, people "fishing" for information are asking to be "guided".

Gateholio
06-18-2010, 12:36 AM
T BTW I fully believe that Gatehouse could out bow hunt many of the so called bow guru's! Heck I even have one myself and go hunting with it on occassion.

BB

Well, I don't know.. there are plenty of very accomplished bowhunters on HBC...:-D

sawmill
06-18-2010, 05:18 PM

My front yard.You want a 190 typ or a 210 non typ?I`ll set you up a ground blind under my big spruce,right beside the BBQ,12 yards from my FRIGGEN GARDEN THAT`S NEVER GOING TO GET A CHANCE TO PRODUCE!!!:evil:(sorry,lost it for a second)

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
06-18-2010, 05:50 PM
I can tell ya the Pay it forward line is a load of crap. The majority of the time it's give me, give me, give me and nothing ever in return. Hell, most barely can squeek out a thank you. There is a new breed of hunter out there and they don't have the basics of manners. I've helped a $hitload of hunters and it gets a little annoying to see the same threads year after year and receive the same PM's. The slightest little bit of research is too much work for most. There is a search function on this site. Most don't even know how to use it. Do I think I'm too good to help? Nope. I instead am tired of being USED with only a few hunters ever giving anything back. And BTW, I have never asked anyone on the internet where to hunt. If I want to hunt a critter, I do my research in season and out of season and figure out my own strategies. Sometimes it takes years to figure it out. That is hunting. If you think a Jelvis type answer is going to lead ya to the big 'uns, you are going to be sadly mistaken. Get out, do your own research and enjoy this province. If you got a LEH draw for an area you don't know, well, get to know it. Or else be prepared to be skunked.
well Dana i have never asked for help either or would I, i can hunt 50 inch bull moose,and 325 class elk and caribou...160-190 whitetails and 180 class muleys all with in a hour from home. did i get a leh ... no ...oh well..the pay it forward line is referring to karma i don't mind helping guys out with there hunts..so maybe the hunting gods will shine on me next year..that's my point!

Kody94
06-18-2010, 06:03 PM
BTW I fully believe that Gatehouse could out bow hunt many of the so called bow guru's!

Well, I don't know.. there are plenty of very accomplished bowhunters on HBC...:-D

Shameless moderator sucking-up, or man crush? Better be careful 'bart...'bartell might get jealous. ;)

LOL. Somebuddy had to say it ... :)

srupp
06-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Dana I hear you ....in one regard, Ive met some of them also....some even RUDE when I really didnt have the time....and I never thought of it as anything but being nice..

However Scott ,Justin ,Kevin Willis, Leaseman, Gatehouse, Kevin THIBIDEAU ETC ETC there are just so many guys who have stepped up when I really needed some help....

I dont help to recieve something back from "that" individual..rather that maybe someday when I would need help someone would step up and treat me right...and I have been treated supremely well here..no complaints..and Im happy for each and every person I have had the privilege to meet and try to help....

Now about that 2 am call DEMANDING I help them with their grizzly draw in 48 hrs..lol:mrgreen:..

cheers
Steven

harbinger
06-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Basically, people "fishing" for information are asking to be "guided".[/quote]

Basically, :roll: this is BS. I am one of these guys asking for info on an area because I haven't been there. Asking guys about an area is all part of scouting out an area in my books. I'm not asking to be guided anywhere I'm doing my due diligence because I have a once in a lifetime chance at a dream come true hunt. People choose to help or don't help its all good. I'll tell you right now that the guys interested in helping me out won't be treated rudely or never hear from me again, I'll tell them exactly where to go to hunt Dana's next huge mulie (Jelvis told me)!!:-D
As for Bart's suggestion that people shouldn't put in for an area they haven't been to is super ghay. When I'm filling out my LEH cards for areas I haven't been to I'm thinking how great it would be to check out a new spot and hunt something different.
By the time the end of my elk hunt roles around I'll know that valley like the back of my hand. I'll also know a few more people who decided to help me out and I'll do whatever I can to help them out when the time comes.

Fisher-Dude
06-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Unfortunately they allow crossbows, which IMO shouldn't be considered a bow.

Really? Is it called a crossGUN? You're friggin' hilarious, you self-righteous bow hunters that think you're so much better than anyone else.

And I believe it's the very reason why there is little support for expanding bow opportunities around many discussion tables. Seems you guys are sure scared of having someone, be it a crossbow hunter or youth hunter, do better than you.

I have lots of friends that bow hunt and do well every year DESPITE other hunters in the bush. They don't have the same attitude as you - maybe you should take a page from their book and you'll be as successful as they are.

dana
06-19-2010, 09:16 AM
I've often wondered how people choose to put in the draws they do. Do they put the LEH regs on a dart board, stand back and fling the dart, where it lands is where they put in???? I always get a chuckle out of people asking for advice on here with tags that are 1:1 odds or less. Is that a tag of a lifetime? NOPE! They are 1:1 odds for a reason people!!! If you haven't done your homework well in advance of even thinking of putting in that draw you will more than likely come home SKUNKED! No amount of Jelvis naming roads out of a BC Rec Atlas is going to point you in the right dirrection. If you are in for the adventure, then, like I said before, go and learn the area. In some of the 1:1 draws, it takes years of research to start figuring things out.

IMO there are certain things someone should do before ever finalizing your picks on your LEH card. Here are a couple suggestions. One would be to use the search function on sites like this one. There is indeed some good info on here. Sometimes the negatives are the ones you should be paying attention too. There are some draws that are nothing more than a cash grab from the Ministry with few to nil amount of success during the actual hunt. Wasted holidays and reduced odds and the cost of the drive ect, may be more of a hassel than it's worth in "ADVENTURE".
Another thing to consider would be to look at your access in a Backroads Map book and look at the area with Google Earth. You can gain an overview of what to expect when it comes to terrain. But without going there yourself to explore, you still will have a lot of unknowns. For instance, there may have been very little logging in the area the last few years and the cuts and roads have all "Greened Up". Alder grows fast in this province. Many good areas are lost every year because the roads grow in so bad, you can't even get a quad up them. Deactivated roads, blown out roads, new logging ect are all things you will discover doing your first trips to the area. You would probably get more response to info questions online if you actually asked good questions like. "I got a moose draw for MU Whatever. Looking on Google Earth I see there are some nice meadows up Rd such and such. Can someone tell me what kind of road conditions I should expect in that area?"

Now there are some tags that are indeed a once in a lifetime tag and I wish people with those tags would ask for help. I'm sure there are plenty hunters from the Loops that would give their left nut to watch a SLAMMER ram drop but instead many times the lucky tag holder kills the first little banana curl they see. This is a crying shame considering what a little bit of help from knowledgable locals could get them.

GoatGuy
06-19-2010, 09:20 AM
On topic, I think everybody's received info from somebody at some point about where to look. Whether it's from a mentor, logger, farmer, friend, non-hunter, what have you. We've all 'learned something' from someone else, not always exactly locations to hunt, but often general areas or simply how to hunt a species.

Point is somebody probably helped 'you' at some point, why not help somebody else out?

GoatGuy
06-19-2010, 09:28 AM
Getting reasonable groups on a target on a flat range with a compound is no big feat. It is, however, orders of magnitude more simple than being able to consistently make good bow shots under field conditions.

Whether 3 months is "long enough" to practice has a lot more to do with where your skill level really ends up in the end, and the kind of shots you would/should be willing to "attempt" on a living animal.

Personally, I would have done exactly what Gatehouse has stated that he'd do. After some experience, I know that my shot selection (distance, angle, alterness of game, obstacles like branches etc) would have "ethically" had to be very limited however. This was learned after some years of improving my skills (and knowing afterward how little I knew before) and from some hard experience.

As an example, my very first experience bow-"hunting" was 16 years ago. It was during the early bow season for elk and I was glassing some slides while helping get a cabin ready for the rifle season that started a few days later. There were a few elk up on the slides, including a couple of raghorns, which were open in the bow season. My friend offered to lend me his bow if I wanted to go after those bulls. I had only shot a compound a few times so I initially declined, but my friend said try it out and see. I did and shot a little group at 30 yards, and then headed up the hill, with malice aforthought. A couple hours later I managed to bugle out a big 5x6 and got him to within 20 yards. I got a shot, after he had sensed something was wrong and was turned and walking away. It was a clean miss...thankfully. It could have turned out a lot worse.

The problem that J_T and darksith are referring to, is that there is a lot more to making good shots on game, under field conditions, than there is to hitting a pie plate at 35 yards. Angles make huge differences, etc. So does shooting from various positions. Knowing the trajectory of the arrow and how to "thread the needle" in the bush takes some practice. 3 months is not a lot of time to do this. But if you know your limitations after a short period, and can stick to them, 3 months is not an unreasonably short amount of time to prep. I don't think its something that should be recommended without that kind of qualification though....there are enough animals running around with arrows sticking out of them already, and the effectiveness of the bow is not the problem...

ADDED: To summarize my point, I have no issues with folks that buy a bow, practice a little and head to the field to learn "on the job". What's important is that they understand how difficult it really is to make clean, ethical kills with a bow under many field conditions, know their own personal limitations and try to stay within them.

Off topic, bowhunting's more about being a hunter than being a shooter.

If you're a shitty hunter wandering around the bush aimlessly you'll never be a good bowhunter even if you've been doing it for 30 years. Oppositely if you're a good hunter with 3 months shooting and you head out with your limits you'll be far better off and far more successful.

Guess what I'm saying is marginal shots (at any distance) make up for poor hunting skills and I would suggest the 'hunter' part is more important than the 'shooter' part. The hunter isn't necessarily time limited - some people get it, some never do.

dana
06-19-2010, 12:39 PM
On topic, I think everybody's received info from somebody at some point about where to look. Whether it's from a mentor, logger, farmer, friend, non-hunter, what have you. We've all 'learned something' from someone else, not always exactly locations to hunt, but often general areas or simply how to hunt a species.

Point is somebody probably helped 'you' at some point, why not help somebody else out?

The point you're missing is those that have helped you in the past probably had some sort of personal connection with you ie. you actually know them. The faceless internet is not the same. Just because someone has logged onto the same hunting internet site as me doesn't mean I know them and that I should somehow be obligated to help them. If a co-worker drew a mountain goat tag in a low odds zone I know very well and asks for help, should I not help him because there was some faceless fisherman on HBC who posted up that they need info on the same subunit. Limited tags and limited goats. Do I burn the co-worker because it is the 'right thing' to do to help out someone on HBC? Or perhaps I have a big billy located and the draw odds were 1.5:1. I normally get drawn every second year. This year I didn't. Should I burn myself and help that faceless hunter by telling him where and when to expect the Billy? Helping out a fellow hunter is one thing. With the drop in hunter numbers in this province, I agree we all need to help each other but only to a degree. If a hunter wants to shoot any deer, I can probably help them on that front. But why should I help someone to shoot a 180+ buck? Is that hunter going to drop out of hunting if he doesn't kill a 180 buck this year? Probably not. Just because I am continuely doing my homework when it comes to monster muleys, does that mean I need to be a target of wannabes that demand I share my info with them?

Gateholio
06-19-2010, 01:32 PM
The point you're missing is those that have helped you in the past probably had some sort of personal connection with you ie. you actually know them. The faceless internet is not the same. Just because someone has logged onto the same hunting internet site as me doesn't mean I know them and that I should somehow be obligated to help them. If a co-worker drew a mountain goat tag in a low odds zone I know very well and asks for help, should I not help him because there was some faceless fisherman on HBC who posted up that they need info on the same subunit. Limited tags and limited goats. Do I burn the co-worker because it is the 'right thing' to do to help out someone on HBC? Or perhaps I have a big billy located and the draw odds were 1.5:1. I normally get drawn every second year. This year I didn't. Should I burn myself and help that faceless hunter by telling him where and when to expect the Billy? Helping out a fellow hunter is one thing. With the drop in hunter numbers in this province, I agree we all need to help each other but only to a degree. If a hunter wants to shoot any deer, I can probably help them on that front. But why should I help someone to shoot a 180+ buck? Is that hunter going to drop out of hunting if he doesn't kill a 180 buck this year? Probably not. Just because I am continuely doing my homework when it comes to monster muleys, does that mean I need to be a target of wannabes that demand I share my info with them?

Co-worker, HBC member, whomever...Share info with who you want to, don't' share it with who you don't want to.

It's doesn't have to be that big of a deal.

M.Dean
06-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Now I know where the phrase" I wouldn't give him the time of day!" came from!!! I honestly didn't know it hurt that much to help some one out!!!

Jelvis
06-19-2010, 01:52 PM
I know hunters on here that got some great animals hunting where someone directed them and that is why they come back to HBC over and over to read and keep up with hunting in B.C. on a steady basis for a long time to read the changes, the new products, updates and new information to help bring about a successful shared hunt.
Jel ... A network of hunting information at your fingertips and a lot of great members to talk with and share the joy oh hunting.

Darksith
06-19-2010, 02:15 PM

ok, so if you are shooting at a down slope of say 20%, and the elk is 50 yards from you, what sight should you use?

killman
06-19-2010, 02:18 PM
ok, so if you are shooting at a down slope of say 20%, and the elk is 50 yards from you, what sight should you use?

Which ever your rangefinder tells you too!:mrgreen:

Darksith
06-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Which ever your rangefinder tells you too!:mrgreen:
I see you don't shoot a bow ;)

frenchbar
06-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Nothing wrong with helping some one out every now and again ..but personaly folks nothing wrong with just winging it into an area and going for it ..hell of a lot more gratifying...exploring new ground is exciting if you ask me!..

Darksith
06-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Really? Is it called a crossGUN? You're friggin' hilarious, you self-righteous bow hunters that think you're so much better than anyone else.

And I believe it's the very reason why there is little support for expanding bow opportunities around many discussion tables. Seems you guys are sure scared of having someone, be it a crossbow hunter or youth hunter, do better than you.

I have lots of friends that bow hunt and do well every year DESPITE other hunters in the bush. They don't have the same attitude as you - maybe you should take a page from their book and you'll be as successful as they are.
Who's self-righteous? Sounds like you not me. Its not about doing better than me at all, its about the challenge provided by the equipment. I crossbow is basically a gun. You can get them with a winch so you don't need to be strong enough to pull 150lb draw weight, and they basically become a rifle. A compound bow on the other hand takes much more practice and experience than a crossbow. I don't hunt with a bow anymore, but I did, and its much harder than using a crossbow. You are using a crossbow probably b/c you are normally a rifle hunter that wants to get out during bow season. When its GOS for all weapons which do you hunt with primarily? If you say crossbow then congrats, but most won't. A bow hunter on the otherhand almost always hunts with a bow. Im all for expanding bow season, not crossbow though. They are not the same, not even close, if you've hunted with both you know this.

killman
06-19-2010, 02:31 PM
I see you don't shoot a bow ;)

I am guessing 46 yards, but my rangefinder would tell me for sure.:wink:

Gateholio
06-19-2010, 02:31 PM

Off the top of my head I'd say 45 yard sight, as the actual horizontal distance on a 20 degree angle would be about 47 yards.

By the time I went hunting I'd have already determined actual adjustments and compensations, just like I do prior to hunting with a rifle. It's not that complicated.

Gateholio
06-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Who's self-righteous? Sounds like you not me. Its not about doing better than me at all, its about the challenge provided by the equipment. I crossbow is basically a gun. You can get them with a winch so you don't need to be strong enough to pull 150lb draw weight, and they basically become a rifle. A compound bow on the other hand takes much more practice and experience than a crossbow. I don't hunt with a bow anymore, but I did, and its much harder than using a crossbow. You are using a crossbow probably b/c you are normally a rifle hunter that wants to get out during bow season. When its GOS for all weapons which do you hunt with primarily? If you say crossbow then congrats, but most won't. A bow hunter on the otherhand almost always hunts with a bow. Im all for expanding bow season, not crossbow though. They are not the same, not even close, if you've hunted with both you know this.

A crossbow is basically a gun? More ridiculous drivel...:tongue:

It's much closer to a compound than to a rifle. Only similarity to a rifle is that it has a similar handle.:wink:

Darksith
06-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Off the top of my head I'd say 45 yard sight, as the actual horizontal distance on a 20 degree angle would be about 47 yards.

By the time I went hunting I'd have already determined actual adjustments and compensations, just like I do prior to hunting with a rifle. It's not that complicated.
off the top of your head you just blew a shot that was too far for you and now you are trying to track a wounded elk that isn't hit bad enough to stop it any time soon.

50 yards is a long shot on an elk for an intermediate/advanced bow hunter

pnbrock
06-19-2010, 02:40 PM
holy crap Dana take a nap allready..

Gateholio
06-19-2010, 02:41 PM
off the top of your head you just blew a shot that was too far for you and now you are trying to track a wounded elk that isn't hit bad enough to stop it any time soon.

50 yards is a long shot on an elk for an intermediate/advanced bow hunter

What sight would you have used?

dana
06-19-2010, 03:30 PM
holy crap Dana take a nap allready..

Why? The truth hurts some times. If more hunters actually learned please and thank you instead of Give Me Give Me Give Me, I think we would see success levels in this province increase. The Fast Food Generation is more than a just little F'd up though.

dana
06-19-2010, 03:33 PM
As for the other off topic debate, give you head a shake. Modern Archery ain't that hard. If we forced hunters to pick up a Recurve or Longbow during our archery seasons, then maybe the lack of practice argument would hold water. Modern Compounds are pretty damn easy to shoot and they don't take a ton of practice to get consistant shots.

peashooter
06-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Why should dana or anyone else who puts in endless hours scouting and hiking his azz off simply tell others where to and how to. I won't help some lazy prick that can't get off the couch to see the woods with his own boots. And to anyone who thinks crossbows are the same as guns.....that shows your IQ.

Jelvis
06-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Don't forget to say, road hunting or hiking hunting? Two different ways of hunting.
Name an fsr only if you want to or a river road etc but that's all a person can do typing a hunt on HBC or road hunting, or hike hunting. Three ways that are the same but a lot different to do and create.
After all is said and done, there's more said, than done. lol.
Jelly .. You tell me yours and I'll tell yah mine .. lol .. The Mind is Wonderful ..

22savage
06-19-2010, 04:49 PM
If you want to help (help ) if you don't (don,t ) why piss and moan about things you can't control.

yamadirt 426
06-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Why should dana or anyone else who puts in endless hours scouting and hiking his azz off simply tell others where to and how to. I won't help some lazy prick that can't get off the couch to see the woods with his own boots. And to anyone who thinks crossbows are the same as guns.....that shows your IQ.

He shouldnt unless he wants to. Nobody wants to read 20 pgs on why he doesnt want to help either. Saying nothing at all is much better imo. Another sweet thread :-|

Jelvis
06-19-2010, 04:57 PM
22savage those are words far beyond your years but truly spoken and thought provoken " things you can't control should not make you piss and moan." Why use all that energy when you can't control it anyways? "
I think some people like to stir up the mud and brown people off lol ..
Jel .. Judge not lest yee bee also .. POW!

peashooter
06-19-2010, 05:01 PM
i don't mind getting a guy pointed in the right direction but as far as zeroing in on the exact honey hole, good luck. especially the ungrateful ones.

why read threads that you have no interest in?

M.Dean
06-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Boy, the more I read this thread, I more I dislike hunters! They bitch lots, swear, call each other names, won't help anyone, rifle hunters hate bow hunters, bow hunters don't like anyone, cross bows are for girlie men, hikers hate trucks and quads, I don't give a shit, my boots are better than your boots, they cry if your bucks bigger than there buck, they shit to close to camp, every hunting spot is There hunting spot, and everything they own is better than what you own!!! I going to buy a tennis racket, those people seem to like every one!!!

Jelvis
06-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Don't forget some people will follow you, to where you park to go hunting for the day...they follow you in the early morning darkness a half a km back watching your tail lights.
Jelly .. Kevin Bacon an Eggz .. Keep your eyes on the rear view in the mornings ..

GoatGuy
06-19-2010, 05:16 PM

If they're demanding I wouldn't give them the time of day, but if they're looking for a critter I'll help if I can, yes even if it's a goat in an area I hunt.

Helped other guys who I wasn't hunting with or have seen on the mountain shoot big bucks, or told them where to look, doesn't bother me. They wanted to shoot it, I didn't. Works for everybody. :wink: Not every spot gets broadcast to the world but the general area usually does.

I agree with the 'wannabees' but usually they have the 'demanding' attitude going on as well and there certainly isn't a shortage of egos out there but that isn't every hunter and even though they're loud they're in the minority. Met my fair share of meatheads over the years but that doesn't mean they're all like that.

I guess at the end of the day the choice to help is yours.

dana
06-19-2010, 09:44 PM
It's funny to see so many post and yet only a few caught the good "Info" I am giving hunters about how to be successfull. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them think. BTW, the whinners are the ones that every year complain about either the LEH sucks because they have been putting in for 20 years at 30:1 odds and they have never drawn or or the once in a lifetime 1:1 odds tag they drew sucks cause they can't find any animals. Maybe if they heeded some of my suggestions, things just might work out for them. Probably not though, cause anything that dana guy says is a load of crap. ;)

peashooter
06-19-2010, 09:49 PM
I would rather someone teach me how to hunt sucessfully rather than lead me to a honey hole. Honey holes can dry up but knowledge usually sticks around awhile.

pnbrock
06-19-2010, 09:55 PM
m.dean you forgot self inflating chest beaters.you know the guy who would jump a shot just because he cant be out hunted.

dana
06-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Another funny thing is the fishermen on this site can't tell that they just took the bait, hook line and sinker. I love threads like this. Eases the bordom of a hot Saturday afternoon, waiting for the cool evening hunt. While some got their panties in a knot this evening, we were making a play on another 6'8" plus boar. The fawn in distress call had him. Just too much brush for a clean shot for my boy. One more weekend before the end. We'll see if we can find that big bugger again before then.

22savage
06-19-2010, 10:38 PM
Do we really have trolls on hbc .I find that sad.

Shooter Jr.
06-19-2010, 10:57 PM
I don't really see the objective of "trolls", so that we fight amongst ourselves?

Darksith
06-19-2010, 11:19 PM
What sight would you have used?
I wouldn't take that shot.

Gateholio
06-20-2010, 01:59 AM
I wouldn't take that shot.

Then why ask the question? To be a trickster? Why be so silly?

A better question would have been "how far will you shoot?"

My response would have been "As far as I have deemed myself capable of making a clean kill"

Asking hypothetical trick questions does nothing to further the cause of responsible bow hunting.

hunter1947
06-20-2010, 02:36 AM
I don't really see the objective of "trolls", so that we fight amongst ourselves?

I won't set myself up to get into a possession to fight amongst ourselves http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif..

dana
06-20-2010, 07:49 AM

Trolls normally don't get hundreds of PM's every year from other members asking questions about how and where to hunt. :twisted:

frenchbar
06-20-2010, 08:25 AM
PEOPLE ASKING FOR THAT KIND OF INFO STEVE ..DONT HAVE A LOT OF SELF CONFICENCE IN THEIR HUNTING ABILITIES..AND ARE BEHIND THE EIGHT BALL EVEN BEFORE THEY START THEIR HUNT .IMO .HUNTING NEW AREAS IS NO DIFFERENT THAN HUNTING THEIR REG AREAS ..IF THERES GAME IN THE NEW AREAS THEY HUNT THERE SHOULDNT BE A PROBLEM FINDING THEM .IVE HUNTED A LOT OF NEW GROUND OVER MY HUNTING DAYS WITHOUT ANYHELP AND ALWAYS SEEN OR HARVESTED GAME . tHINK LIKE THE ANIMAL YOU HUNT AND ALL WILL BE GOOD .

GoatGuy
06-20-2010, 08:38 AM
PEOPLE ASKING FOR THAT KIND OF INFO STEVE ..DONT HAVE A LOT OF SELF CONFICENCE IN THEIR HUNTING ABILITIES..AND ARE BEHIND THE EIGHT BALL EVEN BEFORE THEY START THEIR HUNT .IMO .HUNTING NEW AREAS IS NO DIFFERENT THAN HUNTING THEIR REG AREAS ..IF THERES GAME IN THE NEW AREAS THEY HUNT THERE SHOULDNT BE A PROBLEM FINDING THEM .IVE HUNTED A LOT OF NEW GROUND OVER MY HUNTING DAYS WITHOUT ANYHELP AND ALWAYS SEEN OR HARVESTED GAME . tHINK LIKE THE ANIMAL YOU HUNT AND ALL WILL BE GOOD .

You missed the caps lock in one spot there frenchy. :mrgreen:

frenchbar
06-20-2010, 08:42 AM
You missed the caps lock in one spot there frenchy. :mrgreen: Havent had my morning java yet:-D i will get it together soon :wink:

Darksith
06-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Then why ask the question? To be a trickster? Why be so silly?

A better question would have been "how far will you shoot?"

My response would have been "As far as I have deemed myself capable of making a clean kill"

Asking hypothetical trick questions does nothing to further the cause of responsible bow hunting.
Its just showing you how little you actually know about bow hunting. And how ignorant you are to think that you can hunt in an ethical mannor after 3 months of owning a bow. Its one thing to shoot at a target and put in a decent group, your shooting from the same spot to a stationary target. If you misjudge distance by only 5 yards then your arrow will be around 6" off target, add that with a moving animal, adrenaline of a big bull running around you, lack of experience in shooting a bow in these conditions, it all adds up to stupidity and overconfidence that will lead to the wounding of an animal. If you wound the elk, you will never get another look at it. Thats almost guaranteed. I don't know how many bears Ive help track and never found. And those were shot out of a tree with a bow by peeps that had 1000's of arrows under their belt at the range. You don't even understand the variables of shooting a bow, yet you think you can go ethically hunt after 3 months of practice, when guys that have done it for years still struggle. Its simply ignorant. If you want to do it, go buy the bow now or find one used and start practicing.

22savage
06-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Hey Dana Last time I checked you can disable the pm's you receive by checking the disable box in the edit options menu.

peashooter
06-20-2010, 11:02 AM
bow down to robin hood over here

Gateholio
06-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Its just showing you how little you actually know about bow hunting. And how ignorant you are to think that you can hunt in an ethical mannor after 3 months of owning a bow.

Actually, all it is showing is that you can ask a direct question but twist the answer into a hypothetical situation. 3 months of practice would illustrate to anyone their limitations.

Its one thing to shoot at a target and put in a decent group, your shooting from the same spot to a stationary target. If you misjudge distance by only 5 yards then your arrow will be around 6" off target, add that with a moving animal, adrenaline of a big bull running around you, lack of experience in shooting a bow in these conditions, it all adds up to stupidity and overconfidence that will lead to the wounding of an animal. If you wound the elk, you will never get another look at it. Thats almost guaranteed. I don't know how many bears Ive help track and never found. And those were shot out of a tree with a bow by peeps that had 1000's of arrows under their belt at the range. You don't even understand the variables of shooting a bow, yet you think you can go ethically hunt after 3 months of practice, when guys that have done it for years still struggle. Its simply ignorant. If you want to do it, go buy the bow now or find one used and start practicing.

Well I guess nobody will ever be ready to ethically hunt with a bow. If guys with thousands of arrows of practice can't kill an animal cleanly, guys that have years of practice still struggle, then perhaps bow hunting should be banned. Clearly it's too difficult to be sure of a clean kill and even attempting to use a bow on an animal without years upon years of practice would be unethical, as the risk of wounding and losing an animal is too great.

Perhaps we should make prospective bow hunters take a mandatory 2 year training course before ever setting afield with a bow?

bsa30-06
06-20-2010, 11:40 AM
This thread has got me curious exactly how many arrows does Gatehouse have to fling at targets?How many hours, months, years, does he have to practice for before you guys are satasfied that he is ethical?And who the hell are you to make judgement on his ethics or ability to hunt and shoot a bow.I for one dont know him and have no reason to doubt that he would be a very competent shot after practicing for 3 months at varying distances.I would gather that only Gatehouse himself would be able to make judgement on wether the shot placed before him would be ethical or not,and just because there is a shot available doesnt mean has to take it.But if guys could put a definate number and time line on the first two questions i would like to hear the how many, and how longs a person has to wait for before passing your ethical/competent standards.

Gateholio
06-20-2010, 11:48 AM
[QUOTE=bsa30-06;696015]This thread has got me curious exactly how many arrows does Gatehouse have to fling at targets?How many hours, months, years, does he have to practice for before you guys are satasfied that he is ethical?And who the hell are you to make judgement on his ethics or ability to hunt and shoot a bow.I for one dont know him and have no reason to doubt that he would be a very competent shot after practicing for 3 months at varying distances.I would gather that only Gatehouse himself would be able to make judgement on wether the shot placed before him would be ethical or not,and just because there is a shot available doesnt mean has to take it.But if guys could put a definate number and time line on the first two questions i would like to hear the how many, and how long a person has to wait for before passing your ethical/competent standards./QUOTE]

That's what I would like to know, too!:-D

peashooter
06-20-2010, 11:54 AM
if you have launched 1000's of arrows over the span of several years and you have problems with consistency buy a gun for christ sakes.

BCRiverBoater
06-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Its just showing you how little you actually know about bow hunting. And how ignorant you are to think that you can hunt in an ethical mannor after 3 months of owning a bow. Its one thing to shoot at a target and put in a decent group, your shooting from the same spot to a stationary target. If you misjudge distance by only 5 yards then your arrow will be around 6" off target, add that with a moving animal, adrenaline of a big bull running around you, lack of experience in shooting a bow in these conditions, it all adds up to stupidity and overconfidence that will lead to the wounding of an animal. If you wound the elk, you will never get another look at it. Thats almost guaranteed. I don't know how many bears Ive help track and never found. And those were shot out of a tree with a bow by peeps that had 1000's of arrows under their belt at the range. You don't even understand the variables of shooting a bow, yet you think you can go ethically hunt after 3 months of practice, when guys that have done it for years still struggle. Its simply ignorant. If you want to do it, go buy the bow now or find one used and start practicing.

So are you telling me that after 20 years of hunting and shooting a rifle I am not competent to switch to bow hunting? If I am unethical to go hunt with a bow after 3 months of hard practice when am I allowed to hunt with one? How to grow your sport. Doesn't matter how much you practice there will always be a first season as a bow hunter. Yes you will make mistakes at some point everyone does. That is part of becoming a better hunter.
I guess I should discourage my son from rifle hunting his first year because he may have only shot his rifle for a few months over the summer? 3 months is a long time to learn to shoot. A ton of rounds can be fired in 3 months. Shoot from different angles, different distances, different positions. It is all you can do. Practice, practice, practice. Then when we go out, I would never let him take the shot unless I knew he could make it. And if I taught him properly, he would know not to take the shot unless he was comfortable. This is part of hunting and learning to get better at it.

RJ
06-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Don't matter if its a bow or a gun, still doesn't make up for lack of talent :wink:

kootenayelkslayer
06-20-2010, 12:07 PM

Wow, this is a pretty touchy subject for you eh? I think your standards for an ethical bowhunter are way too high. These new compounds are pretty easy to shoot. Somebody who has many years of rifle hunting experience can make a pretty quick transition into a competent bowhunter.

Shooter Jr.
06-20-2010, 12:09 PM
I won't set myself up to get into a possession to fight amongst ourselves http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif..
Same I usually stray away from stuff like this. But if I do post I'll try to make it so that I'm not setting myself up for an attack.

Jelvis
06-20-2010, 03:31 PM
If you try for a leh first choice and the computer picks you a second choice cuz you forgot to put your second choice in left it blank so computer say, " Oh I'll give it this for a second I choose. Then what if it's toooo far and unreasonable?
Jelly exactly .. BOOM! thar it iz

Jelvis
06-20-2010, 06:06 PM
First choice is the best or a long shot second choice with terrible odds against you and then nuttin ..
Jel .. Nuttin Honey No Tag Cereal ...

mark
06-20-2010, 08:49 PM

DS, you bow freaks crack me up! You think your so high and mighty because you practice sooooo much?
I must of been robin hood in my former life, or just born with gobs of talent.
I own both a crossbow as well 2 compounds, both easy to shoot accurately, and I rarely practice.
Oh gun season is over....., fling some arrows to make sure shes still on the mark and go hunting!
Ive taken half a dozen deer with ease out to 65 yards, never missed or wounded!
If your the type that "needs years of practice" before hunting....im glad that you can recognize that, but I dont think that apply's to all people!

Oh... to get this thread back on track....BC is on the west side of Canada!

Fisher-Dude
06-20-2010, 09:11 PM

Sounds like I've been completely misled by all the bow guys on here. They tell me they are deadly with their traditional and compound bows. Perhaps they were bullshitting me, and all they do is wound animals even after 1000s of arrows.

Gatehouse is right, if it's that bad, it should be banned. At least the guys I know with crossbows kill their stuff, I've seen it done. Hey, I have a GREAT idea...:idea::idea::idea:

bsa30-06
06-20-2010, 09:42 PM
This thread has got me curious exactly how many arrows does Gatehouse have to fling at targets?How many hours, months, years, does he have to practice for before you guys are satasfied that he is ethical?

Still waiting for the answer to these questions.

proguide66
06-21-2010, 08:10 AM
bows of today are close to guns damned near!!..front/rear sights and a trigger combo'd up with 300 plus ft pr second = not too much time needed to get shooting good.
Few yrs ago I filled out the draw cards for a freind here , was a Kiwi who had 'just' recieved his resident status. It was 2 days left to get the cards in for him , I just copied the #'s from my hunts to his cards,he gets drawn for archery island elk in the zone west of CR....DOH !!!...anyway , I forgot about the archery part when filling em out. I made him shoot my bow 4 times a week before work in the am...took one day to get a 6" group at 30 .....anyway , came home from guiding , I went over to scout..2 weeks later we'r cutting up a 5X5 with an arrow in it....:mrgreen:
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/DSC00157.jpg

NaStY
06-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Ah gees and here I thought Kiwi's couldn't shoot bows :mrgreen::confused:

willyqbc
06-21-2010, 09:15 AM
In regards to the bowhunting question.....can you be ready to bowhunt in a short period of time....absolutely. Its simply a matter of keeping your shots close at first. There are a ton of variables that have nothing to do with your form or if you are a good shot yet or how often you practice. These things can throw off your shot and of course the farther away your target the more the shot will miss by. i won't get into all the things you need to understand to shoot at animals at longer range but to me it is similiar to someone shooting a rifle a few times and because they hit good at 100 yds they should be good to go at 500 yds even though they don't don't know their drop or wind drift in different conditions at that range. Moral of the story for me is just start close and slowly add distance as you gain experience and understanding.

In regards to the original post......how many folks on here realize that LEH success rates are one of the indicators on our side of the allocation formula??? If we have low success rates or low application numbers more allocation slides away from us and over to the GO's. Everytime you help someone be successful you are upping the odds that we will keep those tags on our side of the table.

Just my opinion
Chris

Ambush
06-21-2010, 09:26 AM
A sh!tty hunter is a sh!tty hunter, gun, bow or spear. Choose your weapon and know it, then use it responsibly, with all due repect to the animal being hunted. Proficiency and knowledge together.

Ethics are not a personal choice, because you represent all us [me] to a critical public.

As far as info goes, I share with those I want to and ignore the rest. Again, my choice, so no cause to bitch.

People who set themselves up, on here, as "super hunters" should expect some of the adoring throngs to beg for crumbs. Take what comes with the recognition. It's what you wanted.

Why do people who claim to champion hunting, often try to drive wedges between hunters? Little wonder we isolate ourselves into small, tight groups.

And, if some of the internet peronalities on here are truly reperesentive of the real person, then I'm very gratefull for the group of friends that I have. Real people, real friends.

06-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Bow hunters suck! rifle hunters Rule!

J_T
06-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Still waiting for the answer to these questions.
In my opinion he doesn't have to fling a single arrow to be ethical. His ethics is not for me to judge.

Ambush
06-21-2010, 11:40 AM
His ethics is not for me to judge.
I'm not referring to anyone in particular, but if someone's ethics, or lack of them, reflects on me as a member of a fraternity, then yes it is my business.
If you, by association, give me a bad name, I have a right to be concerned.
How can you teach ethics if it's strictly a personal choice?

J_T
06-21-2010, 01:18 PM
I'm not referring to anyone in particular, but if someone's ethics, or lack of them, reflects on me as a member of a fraternity, then yes it is my business.
If you, by association, give me a bad name, I have a right to be concerned.
How can you teach ethics if it's strictly a personal choice?
There are "laws" Government sets, there are "standards" that a fraternity work to promote and follow and there are "rules". In my opinion our ethics come from within each of us and are a function of decisions we make at a particular moment. Decisions we make when there is no one around to judge us. How can I judge someone's ethic when I'm not there with them?

Perhaps we're splitting hairs. It's not my intention to be confrontational. If we're talking about someone taking a shot with a bow at an animal (when some might choose not to shoot), versus killing an animal out of season. They are both decisions made by a person. One has legal ramifications and yes, 'may' impact us all (our image), the other is based in a moral question at the moment in time, and is a decision the individual lives with.

I promote good decision making. Develop the required skills to make those decisions. I also realize good decisions come with experience, and experience often comes from poor decisions.

I've said it repeatedly on here. Many would believe that the ability to put an arrow accurately in flight is the key component to bowhunting. I believe the key is in knowing when not to shoot.