PDA

View Full Version : Headed to Quesnel Lake this weekend

Wild_Dog
06-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Any recent reports?

Staying at Plato Island. Might focus my first day near Horsefly River, Cariboo Island, etc.

If anyone has any suggestions on what gear is working...or any suggestions in general!

I always promise the people I'm taking that we'll get into fish but they are getting tired of my lies...lol

Might try bucktailing but have no idea how to do it...so any suggestions would be awesome.

Plugs, spoons, apex?

Any info would be helpful. I have a smaller boat so I won't be venturing up the East Arm or to far up the North Arm. I do have one downrigger and a depth sounder.

srupp
06-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Fished QUESNEL LAKE on and off again for years...

the junction and just a bit up the north arm...seems to work best..

Apexs are THE PREMIER lure in the lake(sometimes minnow immitations can be deadly also..like rainbow muddlers)

Secret to Apexs is most troll too slow...make sure they rollover and then pause then roll backwards once then continue ..sometimes hard to believe the speed needed for propper action.

This time of year the middle sizes..silver with black back or green back are 2 of my favorites.. start 20 feet deep first thing in the AM...watch the sounder and be 3 feet above the average depth of fish seen on the sounder.as the day goes on sun gets higher youll need to follow them down being slightly above the average..sometimes one can be 40 feet deep others 80 feet..

srr

Steven

Wild_Dog
06-16-2010, 09:33 AM
Thanks Steven,

Was hoping you'd chime in!

As far as speed, the slowest I can troll without deploying my drift bags is 2.5mph. I was told that I should be at around 5mph. Is this true?

Any thoughts on bucktailing?

horse280
06-16-2010, 10:14 AM
We were up there camped at goose point,4 wks ago fish were at 17-26 feet,jointed 3"long fish pattern rapala plugs,small blue lyman plugs for kokanee and f-6 green/orange flatfish for lakers we caught 6 -3to 4lb rainbows,2 5lb lakers and numerous kokanee up the north arm on the rh side,lots of fun,watch the weather and wear your lifejacket!Yeah slow troll seeemed to work well we were running our lures about 75'behind the downrigger ball,and try a small dodger flasher if ya wan't to go deeper,we seen some fish at 120-150-feet good luck!:)

srupp
06-16-2010, 04:21 PM
interesting read horse280..most of those lures I havnt much expeience with..the LARGER flatfish will catch rainbows and lakers...but who wants a laker???a boot with a mouth..lol:mrgreen:and need to go DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP...LOL

I actually have a hand written letter from the actual guy who invented the Apexs'....and he did think 2.5 mph was the MINimum...

again it depends on wind, waves, boat etc etc etc..you want that apex to wobble back and forth and just TURN OVER(in a circle....) and then stop and does it again and then OCASIONALY turns the other way....

Its much easier to go too slow...and ruins the action...

remember use your fishfinder and keep that lure 3 feet ABOVE the average "markings " of the fish...most fish will stratify into a band 5-10 feet deep in the water column....say 30-40 feet deep in 150 feet of water..youd keep that lure @ aprox 27 feet depth.

As the day goes on you will find your self needing to go deeper..and on cloudy wavey days shallower cuz the light is being refracted and not making it uncomfortably bright...

cheers

Steven