PDA

View Full Version : Pink Mountain Moose Trip

tristanmac
06-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Well no luck on our shared moose hunt draws... so plans have changed. Thinking of heading up to the Pink Mountain area (7-44 , 7-45 , 7-57 , 7-58?). Not to sure on which area we will choose, still in the research/planning phase. What would you guys recommend, could you give me any info on these MU's (Not asking for your sweet spots of course... in less you don't mind!:)). Hows the road access? What can we expect for weather in late Sept early Oct? etc etc... Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Tristan

moosinaround
06-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Head to the back end of Farrell creek or the back end of the halfway! Good access to mountain valley swamps, and getting off the road will be a good thing! Moosin

daycort
06-15-2010, 07:28 PM
There is 8 to 15 drilling rigs slotted for the Farrell Creek/Graham and Upper Halfway river areas(and probably more now that gas has hit above 5$ btu). And a 200 man pipeline and facility's camp that will run into fall 2011. If you have hunting plans for this area I would sugest finding another region. That area just got busted wide open with the all new "Montney Shale Gas play" and will be very busy for the next few years.
So pretty much everything from Pink Mountain south to Hudsons Hope will have little towns all through out it, with no shootings signs every where because of all the activity.
On the other hand where there is no shale gas play likes Laprise Creek/Tommy Lakes area east to Milligan Creek will be very slow for oilfield activity.

ROEBUCK
06-15-2010, 07:38 PM
expect good moose hunting anywere near pink mountain!

especially at that time of year!

moosinaround
06-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Too bad you couldn't make it up towards the Fontas!! I have seen monsters for bulls up there!! Ruttin hard end sept too!! Moosin

tristanmac
06-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Too bad you couldn't make it up towards the Fontas!! I have seen monsters for bulls up there!! Ruttin hard end sept too!! Moosin

Yah, have heard good things from a lot of areas around there. Trying to stay as low as possible however. Long drive from the island!

270WIN
06-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Well I know expert of the area only hunted that far north 3 times all same area just diffrent times of year and i like the last 2 week of september. can be a little slow but some days it like game is around ever corner. Are group has never been skunked. If i could give you any advise never give up as they are there and a good set of tires and even a set a chain or two is a good thing to have as the roads can get nastey quike up there. here is a picture of the mane road 3 km from the hiway after one night of rain
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_1975.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10621&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=142)

M.Dean
06-15-2010, 09:06 PM
You could try the 120 mile rd, or the 135, or go past Pnk Mnt to the 171. Pick a road and make camp, then quad the different roads and trails, be prepared for everything.There are Quad restrictions on the west side of the Alaska Highway, but not the east side, check the Regs to be sure. A 4x4 with 2 sets of chains is handy in the rain, lots of bug spray, game bags etc. It's hard to drive a quad on the roads up there if it's raining hard never mind a truck, camper and a trailer.A couple of years back my buddy had to drive back to FSJ to buy a second set of chains, we had a 32 foot 5th wheel at the Beaton River,at the bottom of a long steep hill, that is a story in it's self! Most roads have camp sites on them, pick a nice one and make it home! Dam, now you got me thinkin about a trip up there again! The moose are there, put your time in and you should have a great trip! Good Luck.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
06-15-2010, 11:31 PM
it is going to be a busy year up here with oil and gas companies 135,126,132,120,148,152,168,143 lots of rigs there might be security guard check point put up on some of these if it gets real busy,will try help anyone out just send me pm. cheers Jamie