PDA

View Full Version : Management Units and Google Earth

Slinky Pickle
06-15-2010, 06:12 AM
I see a lot of folks talking about different management units and such. If you're not aware, there is a file you can download and view in Google Earth that shows all of the management units in B.C.

http://archive.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/dm/fsp/documents/FRPAFSP_Forest_Data_Access_Layers_2010_03_31.kmz

Once you have it saved, just double click on it (assuming you have Google Earth installed) and it should open up in Google Earth. In your "places" list on the left will be "FRPA blah blah blah". Under "Management Objectives" you will find "Wildlife". Under "Wildlife" you will find "Wildlife Management Units". Click the little box beside it to enable it.

You'll have to mess around at various zoom levels to get it to kick in but it's a pretty slick way of viewing them. Be patient too, the map will only refresh if you quit moving around for about 4 seconds.

Also, if the overlay is too hard to see through, right click on the "Wildlife Management Units" heading and then select properties. At the top of the window that appears there is a slider bar that allows you to adjust how transparent the overlay is.

As a bonus, if you look under "Tenure and Cadastre" you will find forest road maps too.

Happy Googleing!!

Kody94
06-15-2010, 07:26 AM
That is a very excellent tip. Thanks!

Steeleco
06-15-2010, 07:28 AM
Damn Slinky, you d man!! I gotta go play now. Thx

yukon john
06-15-2010, 07:35 AM
awesome thanks a lot!

Brew
06-15-2010, 07:37 AM
thats great. The best tip I have seen in a while. thanks man

Bow Walker
06-15-2010, 07:39 AM
Lots and lots of info in that download ! Thanks for posting.

NaStY
06-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Ya nevermind.....

Nice work.... Thanks for the info

Dadawa70
06-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Yep. Great tip. Lots of info there. Thanks a bunch.

BimmerBob
06-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks Slinky, that was an awesome addition to the toolbox, now if I could just figure out how to get all that into my Garmin too...

BlacktailStalker
06-15-2010, 11:51 AM
Nice link, filled tags to you :cool:

Weird the lines are there but its not listed in my places so I cant do anything as per above instructions.
Be very cool if LEH units were on there.

stanway
06-15-2010, 12:12 PM
That is great info. Thanks Slinky!

Slinky Pickle
06-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Ok, just to twist everyone's noodle just a little more.... there used to be a link to a similar file that just showed only outline of each WMU region and it showed the region number as well. I found it much more useful than the one they make available now. For the life of me I can't find it on the guvment website anymore but my link to their database still works so the file is still there... they just don't know about it (imagine that).

So, I have saved a copy onto my own website and you can download it from there.

Go to www.ospreydesign.ca/files/WMU.zip (http://www.ospreydesign.ca/files/WMU.zip)

That should prompt you to save down a zip file to your computer. Open the zip file and extract the WMU.kmz file to your computer somewhere (and remember where you put it). Now go find the WMU.kmz file and double click on the it. Google Earth should open and you should see a new folder in your "My Places" called "Wildlife Management Units - outlined" If it's not already selected, check the box beside it.

You should now be seeing the WMU outlines as well as the WMU region number inside the outline (depending on how zoomed in you are).

Now go get a beer... cuz you'll be staring at the ol' puter for quite a while!

Slinky Pickle
06-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Nice link, filled tags to you :cool:

Weird the lines are there but its not listed in my places so I cant do anything as per above instructions.
Be very cool if LEH units were on there.

Depending on how you downloaded the file, it may be in your "Temporary Places". You can drag it from the there to the "My Places" portion so it will be there next time you start up Google Earth.

Kody94
06-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Ok, just to twist everyone's noodle just a little more.... there used to be a link to a similar file that just showed only outline of each WMU region and it showed the region number as well. I found it much more useful than the one they make available now. For the life of me I can't find it on the guvment website anymore but my link to their database still works so the file is still there... they just don't know about it (imagine that).

So, I have saved a copy onto my own website and you can download it from there.

Go to www.ospreydesign.ca/files/WMU.zip (http://www.ospreydesign.ca/files/WMU.zip)

That should prompt you to save down a zip file to your computer. Open the zip file and extract the WMU.kmz file to your computer somewhere (and remember where you put it). Now go find the WMU.kmz file and double click on the it. Google Earth should open and you should see a new folder in your "My Places" called "Wildlife Management Units - outlined" If it's not already selected, check the box beside it.

You should now be seeing the WMU outlines as well as the WMU region number inside the outline (depending on how zoomed in you are).

Now go get a beer... cuz you'll be staring at the ol' puter for quite a while!

Oh yeah, much better!

Thanks!

BillyBull
06-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Okay, that last one you posted with the outline and MU-units is great... many thanks.

mxracer328
06-15-2010, 12:53 PM
great find and post man, this has already helped me plan out my hunt

henderson
06-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Thanks a lot man! i was just looking for something like this!! Great post!

demlake
06-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the tips!

dl

Mountain Hunter
06-17-2010, 10:48 PM
The pics on your website aren't bad either!

bowhunterbruce
06-18-2010, 05:26 AM
i have on my goggle earth a series of layers including leh zones that i think i got from the geobc webpage last year.for the life of me i can not remember how i got it but man is it ever awsome and its possible to switch to every regular management unit as well as all different spieces of animals within the leh zone your looking at.
hopefully ya can find it and i wish i can help you out more
goodluck
bruce

Slinky Pickle
06-18-2010, 06:35 AM
Here is a current government file that shows the LEH regions. If you combine this with some of other links from this thread you should be good to go!

http://archive.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/dm/wms/kml_files/GeoBC_Web_Map_Services_Library.kmz

SR80
06-18-2010, 07:22 AM
thats awsome, thanks for that!

ufishifish2
06-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Well Slinky Pickle, you sure seem like a hell of a good addition to this site. Welcome!

The info you've posted above is a hell of a lot better than the "Non-mandatory" joke most put up when joining the site!

alevins
10-06-2010, 01:00 PM
sorry if this is stupid, but I get a big X that doesn't go away. am I doing something wrong?

thanks

rred
10-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the tip

solanderdog
02-04-2011, 10:24 AM
sorry if this is stupid, but I get a big X that doesn't go away. am I doing something wrong?

thanks

That happened to me too for a bit, but closing and reopening Google Earth seemed to get rid of the problem.

Gun Dog
02-04-2011, 06:35 PM

thanksThe X indicates that data for a particular layer is unavailable. Kind of annoying since it doesn't say which layer. (On the left side of the window there's a tree list of layers that are displayed. A layer can be "MU boundaries" or "primary roads" and so on.)

ufishifish2
02-04-2011, 07:22 PM
I am glad somebody dug this thread back up.
Hey Slinky Pickle, I can't get your link to work???www.ospreydesign.ca/files/WMU.zip (http://www.ospreydesign.ca/files/WMU.zip)
Does it still work??

sim
02-07-2011, 09:09 PM
check here ufish http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53522

Torch
02-07-2011, 10:49 PM
the first 2 links don't work...one downloads but wont run...

Slinky Pickle
02-08-2011, 08:45 AM
I am glad somebody dug this thread back up.
Hey Slinky Pickle, I can't get your link to work???www.ospreydesign.ca/files/WMU.zip (http://www.ospreydesign.ca/files/WMU.zip)
Does it still work??

As sim pointed out, use this thread instead.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53522

Once I figured out how to attach the file to the thread I removed it from my own website. Download the file on the link above and you should be good to go.