PDA

View Full Version : mini dauchound

Bluez
06-15-2010, 02:59 AM
So the wife got yet another dog last fall I despised the thought of owning haven't liked the thing since the day I saw it, not that I'm a dog hater i just lost one a few years back and feel he can't quite be replaced, but this young pest has recently caught my eye as being somewhat useful, the past few weeks i've been home during the day and I've been watching him stalk and kill chickadee's in the back yard, and the other day I saw him take down a crow, I knew he had an eye for the wildlife but was quite surprised he was quick enough to get a chickadee and when I saw him get a crow the thought of actually putting the effort into turning him in a hunting dog became evident, I know they are excellent hunting dogs for small game and are quite adept at tracking blood. I'm wondering if anyone up here in Northern BC has used them, I'm sure it'd be fairly easy to train him as a bird dog, but i'm wondering about about deer as my main concern is weather as they can't handle the cold all that well, and conditions would usually be cold and wet and would hate to have to stuff him in my coat every 10 mins

yukon john
06-15-2010, 06:49 AM
I trained my rat terrier puppy to track wounded game, if you want help learning how pm me.

jiggy
06-21-2010, 08:26 PM
When we run our daschund with our hounds,he'll catch a scent 9 times out of ten before they will.Not scared of anything,no fear at all.Too bad they didn't come in a bigger package.Good luck with your new addition!

jiggy
06-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Yeah you'll probably will have to stuff him in your jacket,lol.Ours hates any cold weather and has to be forced outside when its cold to do his duties!lol

Crazy_Farmer
06-21-2010, 08:57 PM
This guys a real killer, nothing like sniffing a goose weighing as much as you do.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/nov17th4mod.jpg

Bluez
06-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Ours just discovered that water won't kill him on a recent fishing trip, I tossed him in about a foot of water and after a moment of giving me the look of utter disbelief he decided he sort of liked it(even thou everytime he came out he would start his shivering thing even at +25), after that he became my fish finder he would watch my float till he saw movement and would wade out a little and growl at it, least till I caught a fair sized sucker fish, he was quite upset that I put it back in the water, he then went back to the car and pouted for about an hr totally ignoring me lol

kako
06-28-2010, 03:03 PM
We Also Have One.our Weiner Dog Loves To Retrieve Grouse After We Shhot Them.you Just Always Worry A Hawks And Eagles Etc.if I Could Just Shut Him Up Once In A While

Barracuda
06-28-2010, 03:25 PM
all i can thnk of is the one from "open season" i think it is, :-D