PDA

View Full Version : Attention Bear Hunters!!

MB_Boy
04-07-2006, 12:30 PM
I guess this thread could go either in the "Mainland" or "Island" thread........

Could someone please whack a bear this weekend?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Those of us who aren't hunting this spring are DYING for some pics! Yes....pics are a MUST!!

Good luck this weekend.....your support and efforts are appreciated!! ;-) :smile:

moose hunter
04-07-2006, 01:48 PM
hey we are all trying, i have only been out once due to im very ill with a stomach and throat infection:-(

bsa30-06
04-07-2006, 03:16 PM
I'm hoping to get out to the harrison area on sunday and have a look around,i'll do my best.

Schmaus
04-07-2006, 03:46 PM
ok, if you insist. I'm going out for a burn in about 15 minutes. We are going out the north fraser road. I don't think we will make it very far because of the snow, but we are sure going to give a solid effort. I will take my camera and try to post some pics later tonight. I will be trying for a blackie with my new .44 mag in ruger mod 96 lever action. I'll be shooting 240 grain softpoints. Oh yeah Moose hunter, I got the message last night at work and the bears were out on the highway towards bear lake last night, chip truck drivers were seeing them all the way to Mackenzie. Good hunting and hopefully I will be back with some cool pics later.

CanAm500
04-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Sweet, I cant wait to see some pics.

moose hunter
04-07-2006, 04:07 PM
north fraser isnt bad not rely alot of snow just mud:mrgreen: my brother and a couple frends went 4b4ing out there last night

NEEHAMA
04-07-2006, 04:52 PM
i'm waiting for everyone to start reporting about all the bears they have been seeing etc then i'll get off my duff.

Foxer
04-07-2006, 06:35 PM
I will be trying for a blackie with my new .44 mag in ruger mod 96 lever action.

Hey - how are you liking that gun so far? Does it shoot well? I was looking at one, kinda liked it. Any positive/negative impressions to report?

Islandeer
04-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Still too cold, bears think so too. Soon there will be ...

Schmaus
04-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Ok just got back from the north fraser. Moose hunter as far as I can see I was the first truck tracks in the snow. I don't think that anyone has been 4byin down there. It was a bit tough going we had to use 4 wheel drive a couple of times in the shady sections, there is still about a foot of snow on the road. We drove to the South Averil road and then turned around. I will be heading out there again next weekend to stay at my cabin sat + sun and I will give a full report on it. As for the .44 mag I like it so far, it seems like a good 100 yard or so gun it shoots good (low kick, low sound) I am pretty sure I can get a bear with it this year. Sorry there was nothing worth taking a picture of tonight.

Fred
04-07-2006, 10:00 PM
hey we are all trying, i have only been out once due to im very ill with a stomach and throat infection:-(

Since no one else seems to care Moosehunter, get well soon. ;-) Fred

Foxer
04-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the info on the gun bud. They look like fine little shooters.

moose hunter
04-08-2006, 05:47 PM
ya i thot they wuld have went there but they went out south scales instead i saw tracks out blueberry and a small guy they r out!

Foxer
04-08-2006, 07:15 PM
moose - i thought we'd agreed no leetspeak or nettalk. :)

Marc
04-08-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm surprised that we haven't seen any pictures of dead or alive bears yet. I'm heading out next weekend for 4 days so hopefully I see something.

Marc.

bsa30-06
04-08-2006, 07:58 PM
dam it marc when i saw you had posted i thought we finally had some pics.

Marc
04-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Sorry to get you all excited BSA30-06, but if you want to see one so bad get into the woods :D.

I'm trying to hook up with hunter1947 next weekend and he plans to do some video so who knows we might have a vid of me on a bear. I'll be bringing my Digital camera and my video camera as well. First bear is a meat bear so if he's 5 feet or bigger he's going in the freezer. Hopefully I get to see how the 45/70 performs on video as well :D

Fred
04-08-2006, 09:43 PM
I went up Sleese Main today and there was still no new growth to speak of except down along the Chilliwack River. The skunk cabbage is just starting to come up and as yet there are no new grasses or dandylions. Fred

TOP_PREDATOR
04-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Is it open season on grizzlies now too? or just blacks

Iron-Head
04-08-2006, 10:45 PM
There is no open season for Grizzlies in BC only LEH but there are the lucky few who will be takign a spring grizz......If im not mistaken dont the grizzley's come out a little bit later??
Symon

ryanb
04-08-2006, 10:58 PM
There are a number of people on this forum with spring grizzly LEH's, myself included. Hopefully there are lots of great stories/photos.
:)

Foxer
04-09-2006, 12:57 AM
we might have a vid of me on a bear

I'm.. ahhh.. .i'm pretty sure there's laws against that bud.

But i'll give you 10 points for bravery! :)

timberhunter
04-09-2006, 07:12 AM
Well yesterday Houndogger and myself turned the dogs out on a bear. But he kicked in the after burners and high tailed out of the country. The dogs did really good, even my young pup. Who discovered that she can bay like the big dogs, lol.

So the bears are one up on us now, but I'm sure we'll have many up a tree before the end of the season.

Marc S.

Benthos
04-09-2006, 02:08 PM
just drove from Dawson Creek to PG today. many many deer, no bears seen on the highway

moose hunter
04-09-2006, 02:13 PM
any bucks with nubs benthos? saw a few deer and moose on a drive today but they all were females

colt52
04-09-2006, 03:24 PM
A friend and I started out last sunday april 2nd to the 5th saw no bears no deer just 5 grouse. We drove up to chehalis lake then to twenty mile bay on harrison lakenise views no bears went home to friends plase at lake errock drank beer in hot tub.Monday went up all the roads in front of lake errock then went to norrish creek FRS. till we hit snow, nise views no bears back to hot tub and beer.Tuesday we went up lost creek FSR. let me tell you I was shocked and ashamed, that road is a pig pen (no offence to pigs) every 100 yds. empty beer cans every side road some MORON has left there garbage(house hold goods fridge stove etc.). We came across two or three shooting ranges, I think theshooters that go there all have back problems, because the shure dont pick up there emptys,shootgun,rifle or beer.Depressing views no beers back to hot tub and maney beers.Wendsday Harrison east FRS. to silver river campsight great views no beers went home no beers. Maybe next time!!!

slyfox
04-09-2006, 04:03 PM
I should have a picture of a bear, but lost him in the bush, after I took the first shot at about 275 yards. The bear dropped and me and my buddy started hugging like little kids!! All of a sudden the bugger got up and we started panicking like little girls, so by the time I took the second shot the bear must have been about 280 yards. but when the second shot hit him he did a backroll down the mountain. I lost sight of him when he went into the thick bush. I waited about 20 min. and headed up the mountain as I thought he would be there dead. After about an hr. of searching bear was no where to be seen. Second bear I have ever lost...THAT SUCKS!!!!! He was big black, and probably a 6 ftr.

Ozone
04-09-2006, 04:56 PM
And this is another reason not to hug your hunting partner.

bsa30-06
04-09-2006, 05:03 PM
colt52, i hunt that harrison east road lots that road itself generally isn't to bad but when you get off on some of the other roads they might as well be considered land fills.I dont now what is wrong with some people if you pack it in you pack it out thats what i was always tought.I've seen many deer down that road but never a bear, but that wont stop me from trying next weekend.Theres a pic. of my truck in my gallery if your out there and see it stop and say hi.

3kills
04-09-2006, 09:22 PM
And this is another reason not to hug your hunting partner.
they must have been hunting on broke back mountain...:D

Johnnybear
04-09-2006, 09:26 PM
they must have been hunting on broke back mountain...:D

:eek: :lol:

bigwhiteys
04-09-2006, 09:41 PM
SlyFox,

I should have a picture of a bear, but lost him in the bush, after I took the first shot at about 275 yards. The bear dropped and me and my buddy started hugging like little kids!! All of a sudden the bugger got up and we started panicking like little girls, so by the time I took the second shot the bear must have been about 280 yards. but when the second shot hit him he did a backroll down the mountain. I lost sight of him when he went into the thick bush. I waited about 20 min. and headed up the mountain as I thought he would be there dead. After about an hr. of searching bear was no where to be seen. Second bear I have ever lost...THAT SUCKS!!!!! He was big black, and probably a 6 ftr.

You're kidding right? You seriously hit and wounded the bear and after only an hour of searching you packed up and went home?

I think you have an obligation to go find that bear if not cut your tag.

I apologize in advance if thats not the case... But this type of thing pisses me off. What's even more sickening is the fact you've done it twice!

Happy Hunting!
Carl

slyfox
04-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Sorry if that bothers you but i could not go any fauther in the bush it was to thick.I have all so lost 2 deer and a goat,moose in 15 years it does bother me but thats hunting hunters lose animals im probley not the first and wont be the last. losing any animal sucks or birds but when a person takes that shot you never no whats going to happen sorry if im not perfect like you great white hunter!

Kirby
04-10-2006, 01:27 AM
Sorry if that bothers you but i could not go any fauther in the bush it was to thick.I have all so lost 2 deer and a goat,moose in 15 years it does bother me but thats hunting hunters lose animals im probley not the first and wont be the last. losing any animal sucks or birds but when a person takes that shot you never no whats going to happen sorry if im not perfect like you great white hunter!

I think the issue at hand is not the loss, but the quick retreat from the animal. A animal that obviously was hit requires more than an hour looking.

Kirby

Freshtracks
04-10-2006, 02:06 AM
*shakes his head*

slyfox I'm not even going to comment. :oops:

But as said twice already ... 1 hr. isn't justifiable searching ... and to thick doesn't cut it either. I'm sure that bear lay dead 'on the spot'. Shame to have to read this.

I hope every other HuntBC member thinks about this post, just before dropping the hammer this season.

bayou
04-10-2006, 05:56 AM
Finally some one with some ethics I agree with bigwhiteys

ratherbefishin
04-10-2006, 07:09 AM
I will admit to losing two bears[in over 30 years]and after that felt so bad I quit hunting them, but later resumed and have taken several.However, now I won't take anything but a broadside right on the shoulder shot under 100 yards[65x55]and if I can't get that,I won't shoot.A solid hit there puts them right down, maybe not dead, but not going anywhere.I hate tracking wounded bears-especially in the thick Christmas trees where you can't even see 3' in front of you

slyfox
04-10-2006, 07:37 AM
Ok guys like i side the first and second time it was to thick i all so think that an 1 hour is not justifiable to look for a animal but i could not go any farther.If i could have gone more i would have dont judge a person till your in his shoes you guys are making it sound like i dont care about losig the bear and thats far from the truth.I sorry again for losing the bear but you guys are making me sound like a poacher and i do think before shooting an animal.

bigwhiteys
04-10-2006, 07:54 AM
Slyfox,

If a 6ft close to 300lb+ bear can make it through that thick bush I can pretty much guarantee you could too (with some effort). In fact that bear probably died within 300 yards of the spot you stopped searching.

It sounds like you gave him two pretty good whacks.

Not only that Slyfox but there are plenty of Dog Trackers in your area who would have been all but too happy to help you track that bear. (Some are on this forum) Give them some gas money and you're set.

1 Hour is definitely not justifiable for searching for that bear. I would have spent all day if needed or two even...

I sorry again for losing the bear but you guys are making me sound like a poacher and i do think before shooting an animal.

You've lost 6 animals by your own admission in 15 years of hunting. That isn't a great track record and doesn't jive with the fact that you think carefully about your shots.

I've hunted those same 15 years and I have yet to lose an animal. I have yet to even wound an animal.

You should cut your tag Slyfox at the very least (you've neglected to mention if you did)... I can only hope you did the same for the other 6 critters you've shot and left.

If you aren't cutting your tag(s) after something like that... I hate to say it but You ARE a poacher.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

ratherbefishin
04-10-2006, 08:00 AM
I venture to say that anybody who has hunted a long time has lost an animal-and not only do we all feel pretty badly about it, we try and ensure it doesn't happen-but the fact is-it happens.We aren't talking about the yahoos who just road hunt and shoot at anything that moves and drive on if the animal just doesn't drop in its tracks.Bears seem tough to put right down-even a lung shot bear will run even if it eventually kills them,and that is why I like the broadside point of shoulder shot,it seems to result in massive shock[the 6.5x55 might seem a bit light-but it has a high SD,and I've taken quite a few animals with it,most never went over 30 yards
However-and this isn;t a justification for not following up a shot-the notion that an unrecovered animal is ''wasted'' is not true-nothing is ''wasted'' in nature-the unrecovered animal's carcass feeds many others ,and in that way the death of one ensures the life of another.
Actually the concept of having dogs to follow up a shot isn't a bad idea,because when you consider a bear that possably goes 300 yards involves searching a possable 9,000 square yards of territory-and if that is in open slash is dificult enough-but if it involves thick brush ,salal, christmas trees,gullys uneven terrain, it becomes a daunting task that could take a week of concerted effort.

ex bc guide
04-10-2006, 08:12 AM
I agree with ya big whiteys, at the least a tag should be cut and 1 hour to look for a bear thats not enough time at all,How much of that hour were you standing there scratching your head thinking what way did he go? it is real easy to say he is gone and to start beleiving that you will not find him,Slyfox it has been mentioed above there is several guys with hounds or hunting dogs on this site that would have really loved to have helped you out like myself. Look at Barracuda he has some real good proven bear dogs.
Mike

bigwhiteys
04-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Ratherbefishin,

I agree with some of the points you have made. I am sure losing an animal is inevitable if you hunt long enough. I for one will continue to carefully choose my shots wisely.

If you make poor shooting decisions in the field then obviously there is even more of a chance of this happening. Not trying to pick on the guy but 6 animals in 15 years of hunting I am thinking that there has been some poor decisions made.

Hunting isn't just a sport. It's a discipline. We take the lives of animals. We owe them a very high level of respect in return at the very least.

This includes and is not limited to making every effort possible to recover the animal we've shot and wounded, or killed.

I really don't think there are any exceptions or excuses unless you are going to be seriously injured or possibly killed in the recovery.

You are right... Nothing is wasted in nature but that doesn't for one second justify these actions.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Steeleco
04-10-2006, 08:51 AM
While we all have very strong feelings about this subject lets ALL remember that "stuff" happens and like Slyfox say's it's hard to judge when we were not there. We are all free to think the way we do but can we not turn this thread into a roast??? Obviously some stories are better left untold!!! Thanks Steeleco

slyfox
04-10-2006, 08:57 AM
well if i new that people would haved help with the dogs i would loved the help to find the bear.ILL cut the tag i think that right but i also shot the bear at 6 in the evening and after 20 min and a hour of looking and an hour of coming back to the truck it was dark if i had shot it in the morning i would have looked harder but i dont think i would have gone to much farther it was super thick.Bigwhiteys im happy that you have never lost an animal you most be a sharp shooter or a lier maybe you should have your own hunting show your the only guy that i now that has never missed even jim shockey misses animals.p.s. that poacher comment you can shuve that up your you now what.

slyfox
04-10-2006, 08:59 AM
Your right

ratherbefishin
04-10-2006, 09:02 AM
Where you hunt is a factor-there are places where the salal is over your head and the christmas trees so thick you can't see your boots.If I see a bear adjacent to places like that,I certainly don't want him running-and the broadside shoulder shot seems to anchor them with an adequite bullet.I am close to 60 now-and think before I pull the trigger-how am I going to recover this animal?and that sometimes means I don't pull the trigger![like bears downhill from logging roads]
The last few years I have just put the scope on a bear and said''bang''as many times as I've actually shot one.I just like getting out with the kids now anyway.We took my 13 year old adopted son up to the Perry river last year and my oldest boy got him within 20 yards of a nice bear[nice bears being defined as bears on logging roads,or uphill from logging roads]and he dropped him in his tracks.

bigwhiteys
04-10-2006, 09:08 AM
SlyFox,

I don't want to get into an argument with you. It's a fact that I have yet to wound or lose an animal in the field. Whether you believe me or not I don't really care.

Could it happen in the future? You bet! But I'll take every possible precaution to lower the odds.

Misses? Yep my first year deer hunting I had buck fever so bad that I missed a buck 7 thats SEVEN times at about 175 yards. I blew up every tree around the buck but never touched a hair on him. I have not missed since. *Edit three years ago I missed a pisscutter whitetail 4 times :) It was a very bad shot decision on my part and I got in shit for it. We spent (actually I spent) over an hour trying to find blood or hair on the snow but to no avail. We didn't touch a hair on him.

As for this issue. I'll take Steelecos advice. I couldn't let this go without saying something though.

No hard feelings SlyFox.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Dayto
04-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Well why hunt if you dont have the balls to track a wounded bear through the bush , you had the guts to pull the trigger but not enuf to finish the job ..Maby next time watch the animals reaction the anitial shot placement and make sure its good and down instead of ... Hugging you'r buddie with so called 15years experiance it , I dont see why you would be hugging you'r buddie jumping around ... seems like Rookie to me .

I know soon as i shoot a animal I leave my scope on the animal locked and loaded for any sighn of him getting back up , I sure as hell dont start hugging and Frolicking through the bush with another man .. sorry about the rant but c'mon give up after 1 Hour , thats not hunting thats killing.

slyfox
04-10-2006, 09:20 AM
No problem bigwhiteys you just got me going.Ill try to shoot better.

huntwriter
04-10-2006, 09:40 AM
While we all have very strong feelings about this subject lets ALL remember that "stuff" happens and like Slyfox say's it's hard to judge when we were not there. We are all free to think the way we do but can we not turn this thread into a roast??? Obviously some stories are better left untold!!! Thanks Steeleco
I agree with this. I find that often too, someone tells a story and then other jump at it and point fingers without knowing the full story.

We all will loose animals if we hunt long enough and often enough. It's only a matter of time. There are so many variables in hunting that even with all the precautions we take, things still can go wrong. We are only human not robots and that is a good thing too.

I think as hunters we have it pretty much together compared to other sports. But I do not think that it is helpful to the induvidual hunter if every time he or she opens her mouth or has a problem he/she is lectured too from the holier than thou hunters and the self appointed ethical police amongst us.

Yes we should give advice and be helpful but it can be done without pointing fingers and the assumtion that he/she needs lecturing in morals and ethics too.

The only thing I do not agree with is that, "Obviously some stories are better left untold." Why should we not be able to have conversation about such subjects. Should we really be that mindful of the finger pointers and holier than thou folks that we only talk about nice things and the beautiful weather. That would be very boring plus it would give a very wrong picture of hunting. The good, the bad and the ugly all go hand in hand next to each other. Only in Disney Land does the sun shine every day and we all know that this is a make believe world. I would hate to see hunting becoming like Disney Land.

Steeleco
04-10-2006, 09:52 AM
While I hope the post's from now on are pictures of nice bears taken by HBC members. Might I remind everyone about the HUGE debate we had a while back about cutting tags for game not found!!! Again to each his own, and if it makes you feel better in doing so then great, BUT it is not a requirement to cut tag for an animal not recovered.

Now back to the regularly scheduled thread!!!!

Iron-Head
04-10-2006, 10:13 AM
I sure as hell dont start hugging and Frolicking through the bush with another man .. sorry about the rant but c'mon give up after 1 Hour , thats not hunting thats killing.I dont know what kind of hunting you do buddy,if you hunt you kill that it there's no catch and release in hunting.:!: .But the reality is we as hunter are going to lose/wound game mabey not in 15 years mabey not in your life time but it can and will happen.And as for the comment about Slyfox frolicking and hugging another man............Mabey you should go get a job in a slaughter house because seems to me your too good to get excited and happy about taking an animal.You dont need to call somebody gay just because he hugs his buddy.:neutral:

MichelD
04-10-2006, 10:30 AM
That stuff happens.

Last year I shot at a gimme bear at 80 yards with my 300 magnum, a small chubby one that my wife who was along, selected as a good eating bear. I've got orders not to shoot any big ones any more.

Well I took my time and shot it right behind the front shoulder and it dropped off the stump into the salal and fireweed like a sack of bricks.

I looked up from the scope to mark the spot and suddenly Scoot! - it got up and was gone, all I saw just a flash of fat black butt running through the fireweed towards the trees about 150 yards away.

I wen tup and followed and there was blood and kicked up dirt all the way into the uncut trees, more sign into a thicket in a gully, not a sign of kicked up dirt coming out of it and I searched and searched that gully, crawling on my hands and knees looking under stumps and rotten logs, and my wife hiked up from the road thorugh the trees and we circled and circled around that spot from the last drop of blood and fresh kicked up dirt under the trees for hours.

Nothing. I felt sick to my stomach.

I thought that was one dead bear, and it probably was, I just couldn't find it.

Foxer
04-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Ok guys, lets take it easy.

It's hard when you don't know exactly what the circumstances were. And who knows how 'hard' the bear was hit.

My dad shot at a moose this last season and had a bullet failure, the gun 'popped' instead of 'bang'ed. But the moose went down, and he thought it was all over. Moose gets up and leaves (he has no shot). They spent hours looking, couldn't find a fleck of blood.

The moose was shot by a friend about a week later, in about the same place. Lo and behold - it had a nice scuff on it's leg near the knee where the bullet had grazed it. DEFINATELY not a serious injury, yet the animal had gone down like a tonne of bricks.

An hour doesn't sound like a lot of time, but if a hunter says he did all he could to look and lost the trail, and it was dark... you have to take it on a little faith that he made an honest effort.

Maybe there's more that could have been done. One might argue that he should have gone back the next morning if possible and had another look, as he was fairly certian he hit it. And maybe we should talk about some tecniques for how to mark the area so that when you come back the next day it's easier to see where the aniamal was. Maybe we should talk about techniques for searching in the dark (always a LITTLE unnerving with bear, vs deer or something) .

But we should probably keep the attacks and insults to a minimum.

As to 'poaching' -

If you aren't cutting your tags after those incendents you POACHED!

If you read the regs, you'll find this is not true.

The regs specifically say that when you shoot at an animal, you are required to make a "reasonable" attempt to recover the animal. They expect you to try to find it and recover it.

It ALSO says - you only cut your tag when you HAVE recovered the animal. If you do NOT recover the animal, you don't cut your tag.

That is the law. So seeing as an attempt was made to recover the animal, and no animal was recovered, there is certanly no poaching.

I would reccomend if you feel MORALLY that you should 'cut the tag' - then just buy another tag and refuse to fill the one you have. Don't acutally cut it - you may find yourself having to explain to someone why you've got a cut tag and no bear to show for it. Remember - we're also required by law to harvest the animal, and if you've cut your tag you've indicated that you recovered it. so where is it?

Just don't use the tag - you know it's 'cut' in your mind.

johnes50
04-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Finally some one with some ethics I agree with bigwhiteys

I resent your implications about members of this board. :icon_frow

I think the fact that we are openly discussing this subject is a positive sign that members of this board have ethics. Chose your comments carefully.

bigwhiteys
04-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the clarification Foxer...

There is a wide range of opinions on here and I simply put in mine from my own experiences and the way I have been taught about hunting.

You're not a poacher SlyFox...

Happy Hunting!
Carl

huntwriter
04-10-2006, 11:19 AM
I just have bothered to read all the post here, and I feel sorry for SlyFox. I am glad some have the decency to apolgize to him. It is moments like this where I am almost ashamed to be a hunter. What is this? A medieval catholic inquisition? Have we become so insane that we feel the need to judge a fellow hunter on his action and isult him personally without having being at the location only by the few words he wrote?

Give your heads a good shake. I think a lot more apologizes are in order here.

Thanks Foxer to clear that up.

I agree with Steeleco, lets have some bear pictures on here and be nice to each other.

Thanks to all the others who had manners and showed reason and respect.

As for the flamers and finger pointers, Go and hang your heads in shame, maybe you folks should take up preaching in a church, they love finger pointers there.

slyfox
04-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Three things that i do no is that im not a poacher or gay if you wont to be gay thats all right with me to but im not scared to huge a guy so if you huge your friend your gay thats the stupest thing i have ever heard and to the rookie thing ill compare trophys with you any time dayto.

ex bc guide
04-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Some times it is just best not to share the FULL details of what happens on a outing. If it's dead show us pictures if it is wounded and not recovered do not share that part of the storey.;-)
Mike

Mr. Dean
04-10-2006, 11:44 AM
Hey - how are you liking that gun so far? Does it shoot well? I was looking at one, kinda liked it. Any positive/negative impressions to report?

I've owned on for about 10 years now.
It's a little finicky on what rounds it likes to cycle. Speer bullets work real good. Shoots as good as one could expect. Keep the shots Within 100 yrds and you'll do fine.

I prefer mine without a scope and is designated as 'camp gun' zeroed for 50 yrds.

Gateholio
04-10-2006, 11:58 AM
I lost a bear a few years ago...

It was an easy shot, 75 yards away, and I put the crosshairs of my 7RM right on his chest. He just took off down a hill, and was never seen again.

My buddy and I spent a couple of hours that evening, and then returned the next day. I had to go to work at one point, so my buddy went back with his dog, the next day, and searched some more.

I am sure that bear just crawled into some hole, and we walked by it several times, but we never did find it, or any sign of it.

I consider that to be a good solid effort trying to track down a bear. I didn't cut my tag then, nor woudl I if I was faced with a similar situation.

todbartell
04-10-2006, 12:03 PM
I lost a bear last May, hit him hard (so I thought) with a 140 triple shock out of my 7mm Rem Mag @ 75 yards. He rolled around for a bit then got up and took off for the trees. By the time I got onto him again with the rifle he was offering the infamous texas heart shot, which I took. Didnt even slow him down as he crawled over a log into the bush. It was damn near dark so I left him till the next day, returned, to find some blood but nothing. Searched for a good two hours with no sign.

Shit happens, and I didnt cut my tag

sorry to hear about your lost bear Slyfox :neutral:

moose hunter
04-10-2006, 01:23 PM
slyfox dont cut your tag this shit happens, im totaly on your side partly because i get picked on like this quite often;-) its the damn bears fault for not dieing when you told him to:smile: you should go back out there and kick his ass, you can get another bear, just do as i do if one of my animals plans on running he wont get far because i reload in about a second every time as a reflex after i shoot, and to the guy who said he was gay for hugging his partner sounds like hes never shot an animal in his life its pretty exciting, and we all have different ways of being excited some dance around getting drunk some pass out hugs(if beer is not available) and others just go and enjoy their animal give a big smile and have a picture, dont feel bad slyfox it happens to everyone, keep trying buddy.

ratherbefishin
04-10-2006, 01:52 PM
since we are on the subject of recovering bears-and given their penchant for running even on a fatal lung shot-sometimes into the thickest tangles and holes,my choice of shot is broadside right on the point of the shoulder with my 65x55,not exactly a magnum, but I can shoot it without flinching,but any bear I've hit and taken out both shoulders has gone right down and stayed down-sometimes not dead, but immobalized.I know a lung shot will kill them without a doubt-but if a bear that can run 300 yards involves searching up to 9000 square yards of territory,and if that happens to be thick salal or christmas trees, I defy anyone to say they have a 100% chance of recovery.All it takes is for it to crawl under a log and you could push your way through the salal 3' away and never spot it

MichelD
04-10-2006, 01:59 PM
ratherbe fishin, I couldn't agree with you more.

The times I hit 'em on the shoulder were way better than lung shots any day.

I've had the pleasure of tracking a couple a hundreds yards or so into the weeds when lung shot before finding them dead.

ratherbefishin
04-10-2006, 02:17 PM
they can run even when hit on one shoulder-but I've never had one run when hit broadside through both shoulders-it's a massive shock even with my modest 65x55 swede and 140gr bullets[which has a high SD and great penetration]

Sitkaspruce
04-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Ratherbefishin, I totally agree with you. Shoot them through the shoulders.
While guiding bear hunters, I instruct them to shoot only on broadside shots and to shoot through the shoulders, braking them. Most bears will simple fall over or run a few yards before piling up. I have had a too many experiences with having to crawl around on my hands and knees, hearing a slow breathing or rustling and having very little room to move around in. Trust me, it is a feeling that will get your heart pumping. That is another reason I trained my dog to tree bears.
Also unless you have no chance at all, most all bears can be stalked and taken with in 50-75 yards. The trick is to use the wind (duh) and to walk or crouch everytime they feed, using cover when ever possible. I feel that you do not need to shoot bears form 150+ yards away unless there is some obstruction or the bear has seen you. And lastly, bears are one tough SOB, will take a great shot and leave you wondering where they went.

We all have our problems while hunting and we all have or will injure or lose an animal, it goes with the sport. Be easy on that person because one day it could be you in that same spot.

Cheers

NEEHAMA
04-10-2006, 04:54 PM
I have made an interesting observation on something. the larger the living thing the more people value it's exsitance. tree huggers hate when you cut down an old growth tree but will remove brush off their back yard in a second. is it any different? how old does the bush have to get before it get's it's status? or if one of us loose a trout that was bleeding from the gills it doesn't have the same sting as when we wound moose or bear?

with all the "holyer than thou" hunters aside would most people put the same efforts into recovering a grouse? as we would a moose or bear? i like to think i would but in my heart would i care as much? i don't think so? i lost a grouse once. i looked for a while and thought oh well .. and got back in my truck. but i lost a moose once and that shit still keeps me awake at night.

i have seen other people post of loosing a bird and nobody freaks on them for only spending an hour searching? if we were not there to see the terrain or situation can we really say how long one should have looked?

huntwriter
04-10-2006, 05:16 PM
I have made an interesting observation on something. the larger the living thing the more people value it's exsitance. tree huggers hate when you cut down an old growth tree but will remove brush off their back yard in a second. is it any different? how old does the bush have to get before it get's it's status? or if one of us loose a trout that was bleeding from the gills it doesn't have the same sting as when we wound moose or bear?

with all the "holyer than thou" hunters aside would most people put the same efforts into recovering a grouse? as we would a moose or bear? i like to think i would but in my heart would i care as much? i don't think so? i lost a grouse once. i looked for a while and thought oh well .. and got back in my truck. but i lost a moose once and that shit still keeps me awake at night.

i have seen other people post of loosing a bird and nobody freaks on them for only spending an hour searching? if we were not there to see the terrain or situation can we really say how long one should have looked?

Exactly. Amen.

slyfox
04-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Ok guys i went back to the place were i was hunting on the weekend with my dogs no bear found i give it a long hard look with the dogs.I did this for myself and not to make anyone happy!!!!!No one asked if i was going back to look for the bear just assumed i was not.I would have gone on sunday but had family things to do and rather take a chance at a hurt bear then a pissed off wife.I have never been one to lie and speak my mind and if i miss and animal or lose it ill tell and dont care what anyone thinks thats how i was raised.Thanks to all the guys that are not perfact like me for understanding and to all the rest of you ill probaley piss you guys off again sometime becuase i do miss and lose animals some times and do tell .hunting not a supermarket nothing is garanted in the bush.

Freshtracks
04-10-2006, 11:57 PM
I stand by what I post.

Offroad
04-11-2006, 02:36 AM
7 years ago I shot nice bear he hit the ground and we couldn't find him heard the death moan and everything. We looked for 4 hours in salal over our heads no luck. Looked for a couple hours the next couple days as well nothing. 5 days later driving past the area I see a bunch of crows and go check it out. There was my bear dead and rotten. When lauched off the log he was on he hit the bank and slid the oppostie direction then his entry and ended up under two logs. While looking for him we had walked over top of him countless times but couldn't see him. A dog would have saved this one for me but I didn't know anyone with one at the time. Yes I did cut a tag for this even as it was unusable. I know how it feels when you think you lost one I was luckyto find this one as it was the birds that found it for me. I still regret that one but there is nothing I can do to change it. In the long run shit happens and we deal with it. As long as we learn from it some small bit of good has come from it. I feel for you Slyfox that sucks royally.

Duner
04-11-2006, 05:20 PM
I have only shot one bear and I took a lung shot. The bear ran about 50 yards and then went up 30 feet in to a tree (I considered myself lucky).

Now that you guys have me convinced a shoulder shot is better I have a question.
Does it normally require a follow up shot after the bear is initially down to efficiantly kill the bear?

Steeleco
04-11-2006, 06:00 PM
If your lucky enough to hit the spine the bear should die on the spot. Shock to the nervous system can kill them just like heart lung shots.

I've always found that bears that I've shot that were unaware of my presence died easier than bears that were spooked by me or something else in their space!! I always go for the boiler room!!

rocksteady
04-11-2006, 07:46 PM
Slyfox,

I hate to say it but You ARE a poacher.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

I don't think its appropriate to be judging and branding others with such harsh name calling.....Review the forum guidelines...Point 4,5 and 6....

Jetboater
04-11-2006, 07:59 PM
bottom line is the bear is dead and that bear belongs to the crown which in turn requires you to cancel your tag or notify authorities of what has transpired, talk to a CO he will tell you the same, happened to me a few years back.

Ozone
04-11-2006, 08:35 PM
bottom line is the bear is dead

Can you prove this bear is dead? No I did'nt think so.

Iron-Head
04-11-2006, 09:07 PM
bottom line is the bear is dead and that bear belongs to the crown which in turn requires you to cancel your tag or notify authorities of what has transpired, talk to a CO he will tell you the same, happened to me a few years back.Did you even read the posts made about this subject?,it is clearly stated in the reg's that if you DO NOT recover your game animal you do not need to cancel your tag as long as reasonable efforts have been made to recover the animal,If you do not agree that reasonable efforts where made then keep your opinion to your self. I think further attacks on Slyfox are unnecessary......

Foxer
04-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Yeah, once again the regs say - you shoot an animal, you're required to make 'every reasonabe effort' to recover - or to kill it if it's still alive.

Once you have killed it, and before you move it, you cut your tag.

A "Bag" limit means if it doesn't go in the bag, it doesn't come off your limit. If you are unable to recover the animal, you don't cut your tag. Once you are SURE the animal is dead - you cut. You're sure when you're standing on it's head, not when you think you may have hit it pretty good.

Those in doubt should call the ministry and ask.

youngfellla
04-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Now that you guys have me convinced a shoulder shot is better I have a question.
Does it normally require a follow up shot after the bear is initially down to efficiantly kill the bear?

Yup. A good shoulder shot will put them down but won't kill them very quickly, and a follow up shot is usually required. I always keep shooting until the bear stops twitching.8)

Foxer
04-12-2006, 06:29 PM
I always keep shooting until the bear stops twitching.images/smilies/icon_cool.gif

That's a good policy.

Duner
04-12-2006, 08:35 PM
Yup. A good shoulder shot will put them down but won't kill them very quickly, and a follow up shot is usually required. I always keep shooting until the bear stops twitching.8)

Thats what I was thinking. Thanks Youngfellla.

Barracuda
04-12-2006, 09:01 PM
were were out today up west Harrison ( Raining windy starting to green),crossed over Mystery (still has snow no green) and back along Chehalis (mucky and windy less green then west harrison) , We saw no track and no bear shit. the dogs did strike from the truck but we didnt find one area which had a track . We were in a bowl valley on the west side and i was kinda funny watching the dogs try to work out where the scent was comeing from noses in the air chaseing the currents.
We spent a fair bit of time roading the hounds and we paid close attention to Mystery and the north end of Chehalis (in case we came across a certain winged bear?:mrgreen: ) but could not find a track to run, the hounds scritinized around the bridge but didnt come up with anything
It was a good day but a little early in the season.

Johnnybear
04-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Nice to be back on track with this thread Barracuda (no pun intended).
I'm going to go looking around on the long weekend.

Marc
04-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Well headed out tomorow evening and meeting up with Hunter1947 for the long weekend. Hopefully I've got a story and some pictures to follow. Have fun and play it safe.

Marc.