PDA

View Full Version : 7-11 help needed (Tatuk Lake area)

Don in BC
06-14-2010, 10:21 PM
Got a Bull draw in 7-11 and already have reservations at the Tatuk lake resort. Never been in this area before. I know it is a busy area. Any help or advice would be appreciated. We will be hunting off quads after the time restriction. Truck up til then in the morning.. Thanks in advance.

Don

todbartell
06-14-2010, 11:38 PM
bring a black bear tag. I'd try to get as far off the beaten path as possible, and you'll likely find the moose. That probably means getting out of the truck or off the comfy seat of the quad! :D

K-1
06-15-2010, 08:11 AM
I know some people that have hunted there for yr. They always get their moose off the lake, so if you can take your boat.

moosinaround
06-15-2010, 08:17 AM
OOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I have heard that 7-11 has been hunted out??? Moose are few and far between!! The hunting pressure is so high from locals that it would be a waste of fuel for you to even come up!! I don't know but that is just what I have heard??!!! It is a free province but Clearwater is a lot closer to Victoria than PG, Just sayin!!! Moosin:wink:

Don in BC
06-15-2010, 08:16 PM
No Moose left eh Moosin'? Well..... we will see about that !

Don

06-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Don,

When are you going up?

Don in BC
06-15-2010, 10:16 PM
The last week of september.

Don

Don in BC
06-15-2010, 10:18 PM
I know some people that have hunted there for yr. They always get their moose off the lake, so if you can take your boat.

Thanks Ken. I've got a 11ft crawdad and electric motor. That should work if I stay close to shore.

Leaseman
06-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Hunted that area since 1970, usually a little farther north (10-15k)..... hunting has been good for many years, slowed down a bit over the last few, but the animals are definately there! We found that each trip (Thanksgiving time) that it took us a few days to find them, sometimes up to 40kms from where we found them the previous year! Lots of roads to explore, lots of people get their moose on the south shores of the lake depending on weather etc.....

Sorry for not being more definate, but there is moose all over that country!

Mike

257stew
06-16-2010, 04:40 PM
I always think of renting a cabin at tatuk or Finger lake to do some deer hunting. With out giving away their hotspots anyone know how the deer hunting is in this area and what to look for(read-area the deer hang out in) Stew

BCrams
06-16-2010, 05:01 PM
South of Tatuk Lake ... go past Lavoie and then hike into this block before first light each day and call from the middle each morning watching the fingers / timber edge of the entire east side and south edge .... you should be able to pull a bull out of there. Shoot bull, walk back to road, wait till 10 or whatever time it is and then quad in to pull moose out. Good luck.

53 deg 28' 02
124 deg 21' 52"

Don in BC
06-16-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks BCrams and all others. Much appreciated.

Don

BIGHUNTERFISH
06-16-2010, 07:58 PM
South of Tatuk Lake ... go past Lavoie and then hike into this block before first light each day and call from the middle each morning watching the fingers / timber edge of the entire east side and south edge .... you should be able to pull a bull out of there. Shoot bull, walk back to road, wait till 10 or whatever time it is and then quad in to pull moose out. Good luck.

53 deg 28' 02
124 deg 21' 52"

Are you sure past Lavoie lake is still 7-11 .If my memory serves me correctly a km past Lavoie is the boundary of 5-13.

nerka992003
06-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Just looked at Tatuk Lodge web page looks nice and fishing looks good too.

BCrams
06-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Are you sure past Lavoie lake is still 7-11 .If my memory serves me correctly a km past Lavoie is the boundary of 5-13.

Trust me. That spot is still in 7-11. :-D The boundary is approx 3.5 km down the road from the Lavoi turn off and loops to include Hay Lake. From the south edge of that cut block is approx. 1.1 km to the boundary.

yiorgo3
06-16-2010, 10:04 PM
We got our moose two years ago on the north side of finger lake. There are lots of cut blocks there. The bull was 100m from the lake. Good luck!!

Bowzone_Mikey
06-16-2010, 11:04 PM
stand in the middle of 7-11 .... Rattle Doritos bag ... if that dont work ... throw coke bottle ... that will kick at least 2 critters that need to be shot

Don in BC
06-17-2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks lots for all the help. Any idea if forestry maps of the area are better than the backroads book? Would that be Vanderhoof forest district? I'll give them a call if you guys think they are better.

Don

Don in BC
06-17-2010, 05:32 PM
BCrams Is the boundary to 5-13 marked past Lavoie lake?

06-17-2010, 05:54 PM
The boundary is just south of Hay lake. It's marked on the Cariboo backroads map.

Don in BC
06-17-2010, 07:06 PM
I know where it is in the book. I'm wondering if there is a sign on the gold road itself to mark the border of 7-11 and 5-13c

Don

moosinaround
06-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Seems to be a height of land that drops off to the south, I would bet it is on that geographical feature. Might be a road sign, but I doubt it??!! Google earth along with the backroads map book are very good reources when used together! The Moe or the MOF may be able to run some maps off for you, but I don't think it is common practice. You may be able to order some maps from IFS in PG, or Spatial Mapping in PG, Avison Management in Vanderhoof? Anyways I hope you got the humour in my first post, I always will try to help you southerners out! Good luck out there, Tatuk Lake is one of my Favs in this part of the world. Check out those swamps close to where BC rams was talking about. I have seen moose herd up like cattle in that valley in the winter so they are there!! PM me with any further questions. Moosinaroundandaroundandaround!!:wink:

BCLongshot
06-17-2010, 07:53 PM
bring a black bear tag. I'd try to get as far off the beaten path as possible, and you'll likely find the moose. That probably means getting out of the truck or off the comfy seat of the quad! :D

Stay out of this thread you hammerhead !!!

Okay so I only gave you a dozen damn doughnuts. If u stay quiet I'll make it up to u.

I go here every year for a week. For sure no moose left. Just nights of passion with the little fox at Tatuk Lake Resort and Schnitzel in the "Hoof on Wednesday.

I do always stop by the best little gun shop in B.C. also.

ha ha ha

Can't wait. :wink: