PDA

View Full Version : Elk Hunting Basics

FlyingHigh
06-14-2010, 06:13 PM
anyone got a good book, website or movie that would help a guy learn how to hunt elk? i got an antlerless elk draw in 4-06 zone C for the october season. i tossed it in since i had an extra card not expecting to get it. now i get to learn how to hunt elk! :D however, i've never done it before and am not really sure where to start in terms of technique, terrain etc. gonna be googling my yahoo off for the next months, reading every elk hunting book i can find and watching as many elk hunting movies as possible. any tips on how to get started?

Jelvis
06-14-2010, 06:17 PM
What area in 4-06 zone C is what you need to know first has cow elk?
Look within the boundary and locate the spot first within the C zone borders and any special instruction?

hunter1947
06-15-2010, 02:55 AM
My advice is the find out where you can hunt and where not you can hunt in 4-06 ,when you have found out where you can hunt then look on google earth ,get toggal maps of the area study them is the biggest feat..

Then when you go there you are not caught with you pants down :wink:.

Elk are easy to find just hit every slash you can first daylight and last daylight you will find..

Duk Dog
06-15-2010, 05:29 AM
A good book, and it comes with a DVD.

http://www.eastmans.com/shop/books/elk-hunting-the-west.html

kidchevy
06-15-2010, 08:30 AM
go to the creston wildlife area website and check out the maps. you will also need to get a permit from them it cost 10 bucks and you will need insurance to hunt there. for more info send me a pm with your e mail and I will send you more info.

bozzdrywall
06-15-2010, 03:54 PM
You dont need a book just come hunt with me for a weekend. I will show you how. :) like 1947 said elk love cut blocks early morning and late evening also look for fields close to water. Or any were in between.

pnbrock
06-15-2010, 03:57 PM
can we all come hunt with you bozz?Blainer says your a great host.

FlyingHigh
06-15-2010, 06:21 PM
is there an open elk season before the LEH season in october? i'd love to tag along on a hunt to learn the basics. i pull my own weight and will gladly help pack out an animal, share in camp chores etc. :)

todbartell
06-15-2010, 06:27 PM
concentrate on the food source in the early morning and late evening where you find the tracks and fresh elk pooooop.

Jelvis
06-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Hey flying high hows your knee doing? Is it totally healed and strong?
Hi$ Jellyne$$

FlyingHigh
06-15-2010, 06:53 PM
Hey flying high hows your knee doing? Is it totally healed and strong?
Hi$ Jellyne$$

the knee is doing awesome, thanks. i'm back to 98% strength, maybe better. been running, hiking, weight training, biking, the works. i'm surprised you remembered. you never cease to amaze. :mrgreen:

thank to everyone so far who has offered tips and info. i'm taking notes. :)