PDA

View Full Version : Bear noises

Brew
06-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Last night while sitting on the deck we had a smaller bear walk past our house. For hours after it kept making these loud noises. Very deep in sound that lasted for about 3 seconds each. They were very loud and carried a fair ways. First time for me hearing a sound like that. I have never heard anything even similar to it before. Almost dinosaur sounding. Anyone else hear bears make noises like this.

Ddog
06-13-2010, 04:49 PM
yup,,very throaty growly sounding thing when one walked past me, good thing i saw him making the noise, because a year or so later when hunting i heard the noise again and new it was a bear, otherwise it would have been sasquatch in later stories,
not sure if it was the same thing you heard but sounds pretty close.

Brew
06-13-2010, 04:52 PM
If I heard that noise in the bush without knowing what it was I would for sure think sasquatch.

Gateholio
06-13-2010, 04:54 PM
He might have ben snoring..:mrgreen:

06-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Where and when did you hear the Dinosaur and Samskwinch make noises,
those I would love to be able to identify. LOL.

Critters do make some strange noises, piss em off and see what they sound like ........

CT

Statler
06-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Almost dinosaur sounding. Anyone else hear bears make noises like this.
What kind of dinosaur are we talking about here? T-rex, Duck Bill...? If you could narrow it down it might help.:)

todbartell
06-13-2010, 05:00 PM
He might have ben snoring..:mrgreen:

or having the sex

Brew
06-13-2010, 05:02 PM
The only dino noises I've heard were from jurassic park. Close to the sound of a brontasorous in the movie.

morleystw
06-13-2010, 06:00 PM
a samskwach sounds nothing like a dino!!

takla1
06-13-2010, 08:10 PM
the only times ive heard bears making noises has been at night around our tent,usually sniffin sounds and a sound they make like if their lashing thier teeth together,sort of the noise you hear from your dog when he's scirror biteing his skin to get rid of flees.And of course anyone who has killed lots of bears will tell you most will moan loadly when shot and dieing...to me it still creeps me out at times!

bruin
06-13-2010, 10:15 PM
He was probably humming at or for a sow. I've only heard it a few times and usually have had to be pretty close to hear it. Usually pretty gutteral sounding. On a side note, its a great noise to immitate to stop a bear for a shot or get their attention without threatening them. Have also used it to call boars in for a bowshot.

Chuck
06-13-2010, 10:26 PM
I've seen a bear do just that also one time. Seems to me he was bored and just humming himself a song as he went along or possibly it was meant to let another bear in the area know that he was there and in need of a companion.
I think last years cubs are told to get on their way and maybe can't adjust to the rejection of their mothers- they're lost for a time.

hunter1947
06-14-2010, 02:52 AM
Maybe Love sick :roll:..