PDA

View Full Version : Kermode Color Phase

NitwiT
06-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Hey all,

Cousin and I went out for a last ditch effort on a meat bear Saturday. Princeton area. Close to the end of the day, we ran into a light colored bear, off white, kind of like an ivory color. This led to a debate on whether or not it was a kermode, or if it was just a blonde. Still not sure on this topic, and the pictures I have looked at lead me to believe it to be a kermode. Is there a significant difference between blonde and kermode? Are there colors of blonde bears that are lighter, and kermode's that are darker? Ie. Can it sometimes be extremely difficult to figure out which one you're looking at?

Just on a side note, we ran into two grizzlies in that area, WICKED experience!

Mark

ruger#1
06-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Were you around goose and ludwick lakes. There is a cream coloured one in that area, Seen him last year when I was fishing. The park ranger also mentioned that there is a big grizz in that area. He has seen it five years in a row.

NitwiT
06-13-2010, 02:00 PM
We were up whipsaw FSR, closer to Garrison Creek... about 15 km down Whipsaw

ruger#1
06-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Not sure how close that is. I have seen some good size bear up Sunday summit and above the Garrison lakes. All blacks

NitwiT
06-13-2010, 02:11 PM
region 8-05 if that helps

Ozone
06-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Polar Hybrid :wink:

ruger#1
06-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Been up the whipsaw a few times. Must be a few grizz and creamy collored bears around. Goose lake is still in 8-05, Just north of Princeton. Thats a fair distance from Garrison Creek.

NitwiT
06-13-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm still new to this hunting deal, but if you're calling it a creamy colored bear, does that then imply that its a blonde, not a kermode? I only ask because if I run into it again, I want to know if I can eat it or not.

ruger#1
06-13-2010, 03:28 PM
The one I came across was a yellowish black color.Almost a creamy color. First time I ever seen one that color.Not sure if you can shoot it in that color phase. Isn't a Kermode bear always whitish in color?

NitwiT
06-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Lol, that's what I'm trying to find out, if a kermode is always white, or is it ever off white. Is a blonde always dark yellowish, light tanish, or can it be an ivory color?

Oh, and Ozone, that thing your talking about, is a Polar Grizz hybrid right? My wife was talking about that one today. Even if that was a blonde phase polizz, or grilar, not sure my black bear tag is/was applicable.

BCBear
06-13-2010, 08:08 PM
illegal to shoot the white or blue (glacier) colour phase black bears. the word Kermode is not mentioned on page 14, so I guess it's a little open to interpretation. Doesn't even mention whether the whole animal has to be uniform in its coloration... so hard to know for sure.

BTW I think there are 32 shades of white and blonde isn't one them :mrgreen:

Steeleco
06-13-2010, 08:26 PM
It is a tough call, but if in my mind, if it's not white like fresh fallen snow, it's going to get a red dot, then a trip to Ray's place!!

If it was white (Kermode) then it's was a long way from Princess Royal island, which makes that rule all that more BS. It goes to prove that this is a recessive gene and not a distinct species.

Rant off. But hey, did you get a picture????

NitwiT
06-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Hey Steeleco, I was in same mind frame as you, I really, I mean REALLY wanted to put that bear in my truck. Probably 5.5-6 feet, and beatiful fur. While we were poking through the regs and stuff trying to figure it out, the wind shifted and he buggered off. We found him lazing on the road, and couldn't find sign of him in the trees.

TSW
06-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Post up the pics and let the guesses begin! Could also be an albino, which is not a kermode.

srupp
06-13-2010, 10:35 PM
When I lived in Princeton..I also ran into a off white bear near Tulemeen...unexpectadly and very close range...

All these years later..hmmm I think it was an albino...

steven

dutchie
06-14-2010, 01:37 AM
Hey NiTwit,

I had a similar run in with a bear a few weeks back. It is a Blonde Color phase black bear.

It is illegal to shoot a white phase Bear(as of March 31,2009) AND a Kermode... A white phase bear is snow white from head to tail and top of the back to the toes. These are albino like but they have black noses and black skin were a true albino has pink nose, paws and red eyes.

The reason it is illegal to shoot a white phase is because 2 years ago in the EK they found a "Kermode" bear and the regs were quickly changed to satisfy the bear lobbyist groups. While it is not a true Kermode the resembalince is VERY close. I guess it is a good thing because someone could shoot a Kermode and say it was a white color phase having a trophy of a lifetime that is actually a poached Kermode.

Today Kastles was freaking out every time he saw a rock or a old fallen down tree that was white... I am looking for Black and he is looking for white!

Also, it is better safe then sorry, CO's are not the most intelligent creatures. I would not put it past one of the dumb ones to call a true Blonde phase a Kermode or hell a grizzly.

Dutchie

NorthShoreX
06-14-2010, 01:54 AM
Kermode Bears, or Spirit Bear, are found on Princess Royal Island up by The Queen Charlotte Islands.

IronNoggin
06-14-2010, 03:19 AM
Kermode Bears, or Spirit Bear, are found on Princess Royal Island up by The Queen Charlotte Islands.

aYup. Not dumbass blonds or albinos on the mainland that should be shot :mrgreen:

I mean JeHeZuz Ladz, look at your geographic's! :?

Nog

Darksith
06-14-2010, 09:56 AM
I thought kermodies are only around terrace/rupert area? Maybe Im dead wrong

257stew
06-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Princess royal gets all the fame for having the Kermode but the best place to find them is North of Terrace in the Kalum lake area. I have seen one Kermode up close and it was yellow in colour not "white". Google "Kermode" and you will see alot of pics. I have seen pics of blonde colour bears taken in Aberta and such. I would also ask a game warden and show him pics of blonde blackies and ask him if those would be legal here in B.C.
I regularily pick up "bear hunting" magazine and in the outfitters add's they show some blonde bears as well as on web sites.

Steeleco
06-14-2010, 12:00 PM
The problem is this dumb f'n rule.

White-phase Black Bears
Hunting of all white-phase black bears in the province is now
prohibited, not just the “Kermode” bear.What shade of white, how much white? I've seen some good bears with their entire chest area white. Are they safe? Albino-ism isn't a phase, it's a genetic F up, so if I see pink eyes is it legal?

Yet another dumb ass rule to make the do gooders think the government is doing something. Protect the rock if you wish, but a white bear in the Okanagan should be fair game.

Sorry I'm ranting again!!