PDA

View Full Version : Best Grizzly Outfitter in BC

stoneguide
06-13-2010, 09:48 AM
A good friend fro Texas that ive guided for sheep is planning on doing a Grizz hunt in the next year or two and is looking for an outfitter that has a good success rate.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have a few friends that have grizz allocations but just want an unbiased opinion.

Looking for BC and Yukon outfitters.

Thanks in advance guys.

SG

MB_Boy
06-13-2010, 09:56 AM
A good friend fro Texas that ive guided for sheep is planning on doing a Grizz hunt in the next year or two and is looking for an outfitter that has a good success rate.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have a few friends that have grizz allocations but just want an unbiased opinion.

Thanks in advance guys.

SG

Is your friend looking towards coastal or interior grizz??

GoatGuy
06-13-2010, 09:57 AM
Mountain/coastal, how picky?

stoneguide
06-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Ill email and ask him but I dont beleive it will matter. He will probably end up wanting one of each. LOL He isnt short on cash, completeing his Grand Slam in just 2 years.
SG

MB_Boy
06-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Mountain/coastal, how picky?

Ha ha.........maybe the "friend" get's seasick?? :wink:

Darksith
06-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Ron Vantine has a good success rate for the interior. Always a chance for a big interior bear, but he only gets 2 or 3 grizz every 5 years I think now a days.

moosinaround
06-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Ron Vantine has a good success rate for the interior. Always a chance for a big interior bear, but he only gets 2 or 3 grizz every 5 years I think now a days.

Yup, Ron has em in his area for sure!! Vantine guiding, give him a try!!

3006pg
06-13-2010, 01:57 PM
bc safaris . its in the yukon area somewhere . my buddies dad is one of the owners and head guides his name is shane black. i think they have a fairly good success rate let your buddy know

Wild Images
06-13-2010, 03:22 PM
bc safaris . its in the yukon area somewhere . my buddies dad is one of the owners and head guides his name is shane black. i think they have a fairly good success rate let your buddy know

BC Safaries is out of Dease Lk
Guy Antilla of Taku Safaries has killed some monsters in his area, He sold off one piece to the huggers a couple years ago and his last piece was sold this spring
guyantillasbiggamehunts.com/ has a like to the new owners.
you can also email Guy through the website and he will answer any questions

3006pg
06-13-2010, 08:36 PM
close to the yukon my bad. i believe the main lodge is located at turnigan lake

yukon john
06-13-2010, 08:51 PM
http://monasheeoutfitting.com/ these guys have big bears and awesome sucess Taku is/was great but I didnt know he sold the last of it so its a gamble with new owners. Yukon is handy because you can shoot bears off gut piles but typically they have smaller bears. Does your friend have someone in mind? Its easier to report on specific outfitters

yukon john
06-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Lots of outfits loosing quota on bears (and most everything else) in 2012 so the $$ will be going up up up

Mugger
06-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Pick up the books about Old timer Griz guide Clayton Mack out of Bella Coolla there was a couple books written about him and the country for big coastal Bears.

bigneily
06-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Grizzlies and white guys awesome read. by Clayton mack...

chinook
06-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Try Trophy West. Not sure but I believe their guiding territory for G's out of Knights Inlet. http://www.trophywest.com/

GoatGuy
06-13-2010, 10:26 PM
http://monasheeoutfitting.com/ these guys have big bears and awesome sucess

Lots of em and the odd big bear killed in the WK but it definitely isn't 'big bear' country.

srupp
06-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Clayton was an AMAZING man...I certainly learned a whole lot from that man..survival skills, coastal fishing and of course coastal hunting GRIZZLY HUNTING...Clayton loved the central coast and knew every bear by name...(not really but he knew a lot of specific bears and habits)

The area he used has of course been sold over and over and now the Nature Trust Consevatory owns it no Professional guide in there,,

After all my 30 plus years of guiding and hunting G bears,,and not being very shy about stating my opinnions on Grizzly bears..this topic is one I will not throw my .02cents worth in..I know who I would HIRE..to guide,,but will keep that outfitter secret..

Good thread.

Srupp

Big Bucks
06-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Try Dome Creek Outfitters out of McBride lots of bears look at his web site I think he has a few bears posted up there .

stoneguide
06-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Hey guys thatnks for the advise so far and was talking to my friend and he said he would like to go after where ever has the biggest bears so im thinking that would be coastal bears but I could be wrong there, as im very far from a bear guru.
Also like to hear about past guides and outfitters and finding out about writings on them. Great to hear about huntings past. I should start a thread about past outfitters and guides and the stories about them.

Thanks everyone.
SG

bruin
06-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Biggest bears are on the coast. I would tell him to phone around and find out the outfitter's averages (size, age, success rate, how many/yr etc.). Then I would talk to some of their reference hunters and do some searching around on some of the "reports" websites where you can pay a couple bucks and read reports from past hunters. Call GOABC and find out if they are "members in good standing".

yukon john
06-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Lots of em and the odd big bear killed in the WK but it definitely isn't 'big bear' country.

In most cases I would agree but I beleive brian gets 6-8 tags a year and is nearly 100% over 8' I would say those are pretty big bears

GoatGuy
06-14-2010, 09:33 AM
In most cases I would agree but I beleive brian gets 6-8 tags a year and is nearly 100% over 8' I would say those are pretty big bears

That's close on the tags.

Know he's killed some big bears but doubt he's killing all 8' probably averaging closer to 7 1/2 or less. Suppose only he would know.

Biggest bear collared in there was just over 500 lbs fall weight. Down in the flathead you can pretty much double that.

Darksith
06-14-2010, 09:53 AM
theres a guide getting 6-8 grizz tags a year, and then theres others that are only getting 3 every 5 years? Thats frickin crazy and sad. Especially when I know the area that vantine works, and there are more bears there than 1 thinks thats for sure.

Coastal bears are definately the biggest, or have the potential.

stoneguide
06-14-2010, 10:04 AM
So whats your thought on coastal bears. I know lots of mountain guys but dont know any coastal outfitters.

Thanks again for your advice guys.

Hope he books as ill be tagging along videoing it.
SG

BCbillies
06-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Coast Mountain Outfitters lives just down the road from me. Largest quota in BC for grizz and a big area with plenty of big salmon/coastal bears. I don't know anyone personally who has been guided by them.

GoatGuy
06-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Coast Mountain Outfitters lives just down the road from me. Largest quota in BC for grizz and a big area with plenty of big salmon/coastal bears. I don't know anyone personally who has been guided by them.

Haywire, but kills big bears.

stoneguide
06-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks guys ill look them up.
SG

bigwhiteys
06-14-2010, 10:27 AM
Haywire, but kills big bears.

If I had the cash to drop on an outfitted Grizz hunt this guy sounds like an adventure that could result in a big coastal bear... He would be my #1 choice. :)

Carl

GoatGuy
06-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks guys ill look them up.
SG

Coastal First Nations was trying to buy them out last year. Would book as soon as possible.

Also, make sure you're there and that the 'rules' are adhered too. Had some problems with the law in the past.