PDA

View Full Version : BP oil spill may effect 4 million migrating birds

Marc
06-12-2010, 12:30 PM
I received an email about the British Petroleum leak in the gulf from Delta waterfowl and it's not looking good for a lot of Canada's migrating birds this fall.

http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/media/radio/mp3/May28CJOB.mp3

Chuck
06-12-2010, 01:30 PM
My gut feeling is that this spill will somehow affect everyone and everything on this continent one way or another and we will all be the poorer for it.

Ian F.
06-14-2010, 07:04 AM
Hopefully they can get it stopped, and then use the months between now and when the birds arrive to get the worst (stuff on the surface) cleaned up. Hurricanes also add a wild-card to this. If redheads where out mainstay I'd be really worried, there major wintering population is on the Texas gulf coast.

It amazes me that the modern militaries of the world can shoot a missile from miles away and have it hit a specific car on the move, yet the modern world can't stick a plug in a pipe!

This never should have happened and truly disgusts me..

Ian

hardnocks
06-14-2010, 07:18 AM
I really wonder if this is the end of our oceans . How much more pollution can they take ?
We could loose a lot of species over that spill .

Chessieguy
06-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Couldn't agree more Ian...

I can understand that they cant "plug it" but it escapes me how they can not better contain it...

buck nash
08-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Are birds gonna come back toxic and present a health risk to those who eat them or will it be a case of the oiled birds simply not making it home.

I've heard that most of the birds from BC migrate down the west coast so should not be affected too badly. but I have not been able to find an answer to the question of contaminated meat.

Anyone got ideas about this? Either way I think I'll stay away from organ meat.

shadow1982
08-09-2010, 01:57 PM
I killed plenty of ducks last season, it was my first season... few (5) with bands on there legs.. they were all from washington. Where were your bands from? i think east coast will be effected more then west coast will.