PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in Victoria

The Sand Man
06-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Hello Everybody,

I’m a newbie to shooting and hunting. I was born in Russia, but grew up in Canada, I currently live in Victoria studying at UVic. I’m midway through the waiting period of my PAL/RPAL application. A few months ago, my friend talked me into getting my PAL with him. Unfortunately, he is far more interested in handgun sports; whereas, I’m leaning towards hunting, hiking, and outdoor recreation activities.

I’m joined this forum to learn from people more local to my area, about hunting, regulations, and advice. For now, I’m interested in varmint hunting, and in the future, small game and foul. I’ve purchased a Savage Mark II F rife (bolt action, .22LR , Iron sights, waiting at the gun store), and looking to do some target practice, plinking and also crow, rabbit and grey squirrel hunting.

Later on, I’ll likely purchase a Savage 93R17 FV .17HMR and a hunting shotgun for small game, foul, and varmint hunting.

I have a few questions that, perhaps, some of you would kindly address:

- As I understand, there are no hunting restrictions on crows, rabbits and grey squirrels.
- Hunting can only be done on crown land, where is it, and where does it start???
- What are good resources of information, maps, laws…

I would also appreciate if anybody could suggest some websites or books. I’ve struggled to find any hunting books or websites specific to Vancouver Island. As a complete newbie, I would appreciate any information! I’ll likely post more detailed questions in the Vancouver Island forum.

As I have read, it is customary for me to include a joke...

A grandfather and his grandson are walking to camp after a successful hunt. The grandson asks his grandfather "Grandpa, is it true that in 1986 there was an accident at Chernobyl nuclear reactor?" "Yes, there was." - answered the Grandfather and patted the grandson's head. "Grandpa, is it true that there were no consequences?" "Yes, absolutely none" - answered the Grandpa and patted the grandson's second head, as they strolled off together, into the sunset, wagging their tails. :mrgreen:

A little twisted, I know; but, the CGN joke thread is sucking the pool dry. :wink:

Cheers,
Sand

lostindian
06-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Welcome to the site Sand to find the areas pick up the Back Roads map book for the island.You can go out to Sooke and pass that is Jordan River which has some good areas all the way to Port Renfrew.There is also upisland around Shawnigan lake you can go all the way up the island and each city has away into the bush.

Bow Walker
06-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Welcome Sand. For shooting/target practice and such I'd suggest the V.I.F.G.P.A. Vancouver Island Fish and Game Protective Association is the local club where you can practice with shotgun, rifle, rimfire, and pistol - not to mention archery as well.

The club is up on the Malahat, near the top, on the right-hand side of the highway. The turnoff is called Holker Rd. The membership is a yearly fee and as I recall it is very reasonable. The fee entitles you to all the club's facilities - 7 days per week.

Here is the site where the BC hunting and trapping regulations are posted. As yet the 2010 regs aren't up, but they should be there in a month or so. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/

You can get good results with Google Earth, as far as back roads are concerned, plus I really recommend the Backroad book editions for specific areas.

Good luck and have fun.

muledeercrazy
06-13-2010, 01:00 PM
lol, well vifgpa membership entitles you to check the availability of the clubs facilities. more and more often i find that the m/p or pistol range is rented, or booked for special use. It is still probably the best bet for ranges in Victoria.

Many places in Victoria sell the backroads mapbooks, they are a good product and you should buy one and start getting to know it. Ask guys questions on here, it will save you alot of time. That said, be ready to spend alot of time exploring new areas.

I dont know alot about hunting crows and squirells. Is there a way to eat these animals without having intenstinal problems? Not alot of rabbits out their to hunt, but maybe you could get into grouse hunting?

The Sand Man
06-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Thank you very much for all the great replies!

The Backroads Mapbook is exactly what I've been looking for, thank you lostindian and muledeercrazy! A book that addresses local topography is great.

Bow Walker, I am quite aware of Victoria fish & game, I'll be going to the father's day open house of the 20th.

So far, I've done plenty of day-hikes near Port Renfrew: Botanical Beach, French Beach, China Beach, but I realize those are provincial parks, so no hunting. I'll try and do more hikes inland where hunting is allowed.

I actually used the google earth feature that allows you to see first person pictures posted by people. It gives a reasonable idea of terrain in certain places, although the deeper and rougher bush is "uncharted"

If anybody could suggest sources for good elevation and terrain maps, that would be wonderful. I just can't trust my GPS like a nice map and compass combination.

I appreciate all the suggestions and tips!

Cheers,
Sand

06-14-2010, 09:16 AM
When you are up in Renfrew take the road that goes to Lake cowichan. When you hit a "T" in the road that reads Lake cowichan turn right you turn left. The road goes over Gordon river, There is a bridge you wont mistake. Up there is open to hunting and there is some good access.

Dont know about rabbits and crows but there is deer and bears! but its is a good place to explore. As well as the north end of Cowichan lake. there is some good access up there as well. Use the map book because from the far end of Cowichan lake you can get through to Bamfield and Port Albernie, Both good drives with alot to see. Take at least two days though. You could do it in 1 long day but there is some camping at Nit Nat river and a couple other places.

Welcome to Canada and This site