PDA

View Full Version : Varmint

sgt.maj
04-06-2006, 07:11 AM
Hey guys, im totally new to the hunting scene and need some help on a couple of issues. First is varmint hunting. I couldnt find really small stuff like squirels and such in the synopsis, does this mean you can pop them any time of year or are you limited with everything. If there is any game thats fair all year long please let me know.

I will have an 870 wingmaster in 12g and it has a 30' full choke barrel as well as an 18" open bore barrel. For hunting grouse this fall what barrel and what type of ammo should I use, or will this be way over kill for a grouse.

I want to start shooting my win 94 asap so if there is anything I can go for at this time of year (varmint/spring bear) please give me some direction. Where is a good place to go within a couple of hours from abbotsford.

Thanks guys.

CanAm500
04-06-2006, 07:20 AM
I will have an 870 wingmaster in 12g and it has a 30' full choke barrel as well as an 18" open bore barrel. For hunting grouse this fall what barrel and what type of ammo should I use, or will this be way over kill for a grouse.

Use #6 shot for grouse, has given me great results.

BlacktailStalker
04-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Your 870 is perfect for grouse. The 30" barrel is great for shooting them on the wing, good range. PErsonally I make 'em fly before I shoot them, don't see much sport in shooting them at 15 yards staring at me. You only need a #7 1/2 or a 7 for grouse, even for big blue grouse up to 3 pounds. Esp using a full choke, you'll have a pretty dense pattern. I have a 28" on mine and 7 1/2 has always been the standard as far as I'm concerned. If you get into fast flying pheasants etc with a little bit more "armou" on them or when you get into ass ends goin' away from you, then #6 might give ya a little more knock down. Good luck, it's fun !

Foxer
04-06-2006, 01:06 PM
I couldnt find really small stuff like squirels and such in the synopsis,

Check page 14 under 'what is wildlife' - you will note that there are 'schedules' b and c at the end of that - read that whole section and it will all be clear :)

I want to start shooting my win 94 asap so if there is anything I can go for at this time of year

Bear might be a bit of a handful if its your first hunt - but if you can get out with a buddy it's certanly an open season right now.

Yotes are always fun, but are closed right now in region 2.

RiverOtter
04-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Hey guys, im totally new to the hunting scene and need some help on a couple of issues. First is varmint hunting. I couldnt find really small stuff like squirels and such in the synopsis, does this mean you can pop them any time of year or are you limited with everything. If there is any game thats fair all year long please let me know.

Squirrels(Red) fall under "Fur Bearers" and unless you are a licenced trapper and owner of a trapline(Or signed on as an assistant to another trappers line), you cannot go out and hunt them.

Coyotes are one critter that can be hunted during season with only a hunting licence. In certain regions, wolves are the same. Crows and magpies are open year round.

RO :)

sgt.maj
04-06-2006, 03:01 PM
I will be going out with experienced guys. Thanks for all the info. This forum is great for us rookies.