PDA

View Full Version : My partner is at the vet overnight

madrona sh
06-10-2010, 08:33 PM
My best buddy Timber has a major inner ear infection and has had to be put under for treatment(He is hurting so bad they could not treat him without putting him under).:cry: Has anyone elses dog had a bad one like this and what was the outcome. Thanks

dutchie
06-10-2010, 10:26 PM
I have never had my guy go through somthing like that but I have had to have him put under for treatment.

Vets are professionals and he will pull through.

Dutchie

madrona sh
06-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks dutchie. He sure is one sad dog today.

phoenix
06-10-2010, 10:41 PM
My hound had a couple of major ear infections and had to be knocked out for treatment once. Don't worry he'll pull through but if there is a drain in there and he is a house dog you may not. The stuff that drained from Twiggy's ear was hideous, oily and stinky like you wouldn't believe. I now clean my dogs ears with 50/50 rubbing alcohol/peroxide if they start to smell a little funny. Drives the dogs nuts for a couple of minutes and then they shake it out but it sure cleans their ears good.
Kim

Kasomor
06-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Ear infections suck.
I had a golden that dealt with those all of the 15 years that she lived. Part of the reason why I switched breeds.

I had to do weekly ear cleaning on her. If I forgot, it got out of control fast. I learned not to forget :wink:

I've known numerous other goldens with ear infections that had to be knocked out to get the ear cleaned properly. Had to have my dog sedated last year when she broke a nail to get it cleaned up. Who knew that a nail would have created such pain and havoc!

All were good as new once awake.

Give Timber a special cookie when you pick him up!

Kasomor

bearhunter338-06
06-10-2010, 10:50 PM
I have to wash out one of my Lab's years 2-3 times a week or she gets infections in here one ear. It is a common problem with dogs with droopy ears.

06-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Our golden just had an ear infection in one ear, looked after it with 10 days of ear drops 2 X a day. We try to clean them offen but should do more by the sounds of this.
Good luck, with the dog and your bill from the vet.

CT

RJ
06-10-2010, 10:59 PM
I use 1/3 rubbing alcohol, 1/3 white vinegar, 1/3 distilled water when there is a hint of something funky going on. My dog gets allergies sometimes, and that lowers his immune system and sure enough his ears will start acting up. Hope things work out :-D

Kasomor
06-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Our golden just had an ear infection in one ear, looked after it with 10 days of ear drops 2 X a day. We try to clean them offen but should do more by the sounds of this.
Good luck, with the dog and your bill from the vet.

CT

Don't know if you do this already but along with cleaning your dogs ears weekly if not more frequetly...cut out all the hair on the inside of the ear flap and around the ear canal so that as much air as possible can get in the ear. if the dog has long fuzzies on the outside cut that off too.

Check out this link

http://www.pvgrc.org/grooming/

Yes, it is a show dog pictured but the technique and where to remove the hair is shown. The pics that show the inside of the flap being trimmed is what I use to do at least once a month on my girl. I used small straight scissors and cut the hair back hard. I didn't care what it looked like. I was trying to beat this thing.

Along with preventive cleaning, this made a huge difference on the number of infections she had.

Regards,
Kasomor

Cdn-Redneck
06-12-2010, 07:16 AM
Ear infections suck.
I had a golden that dealt with those all of the 15 years that she lived. Part of the reason why I switched breeds.

I had to do weekly ear cleaning on her. If I forgot, it got out of control fast. I learned not to forget :wink:

I've known numerous other goldens with ear infections that had to be knocked out to get the ear cleaned properly. Had to have my dog sedated last year when she broke a nail to get it cleaned up. Who knew that a nail would have created such pain and havoc!

All were good as new once awake.

Give Timber a special cookie when you pick him up!

Kasomor

I also have a golden that suffers from ear infections. I have found nothing that works to keep it cleared up. I put in an ear cleaner recently and she shook her hear and broke some blood vessels in her ear flap and the blood filled her ear flap. I took her to the vet and it cost almost $500 to drain it and put in a tube to drain it out. I use Surolan and that is all that kind of manages it. She is such a great dog I feel bad that I can't do more to help her out. I have tried different foods and have had no luck. It is a yeast build up. I am going to try one more thing that I heard works. Canestan cream for yeast infections apparently works, but you have to know it is a yeast problem. I hope your dog gets well. Mine is better know, but her ears still flair up.:icon_frow

phoenix
06-12-2010, 08:51 AM
I also have a golden that suffers from ear infections. I have found nothing that works to keep it cleared up. I put in an ear cleaner recently and she shook her hear and broke some blood vessels in her ear flap and the blood filled her ear flap. I took her to the vet and it cost almost $500 to drain it and put in a tube to drain it out. I use Surolan and that is all that kind of manages it. She is such a great dog I feel bad that I can't do more to help her out. I have tried different foods and have had no luck. It is a yeast build up. I am going to try one more thing that I heard works. Canestan cream for yeast infections apparently works, but you have to know it is a yeast problem. I hope your dog gets well. Mine is better know, but her ears still flair up.:icon_frow
Have you tried Vegitarian dog food? There is one made by a Canadian company, Nutri-Cal I believe, Buckerfields carries it, that can cut down on a lot of infections if your dog is prone to them.
Kim

Lots'oLabs
06-12-2010, 10:51 AM
How is Timber doing?
One of our Labs has suffered most of her life with chronic ear infection.
As mentioned by Cdn-Redneck, she also had to have surgury for an ear heamatoma caused by excessive head shaking to relieve the ichiness caused by yeast.
As a result we rinse her ears regularly with Hexadene (buy it from your vet) and use Surolan when needed. We hesitate to use Surolan too often as they can build a resistance to it.
Interestingly we spend a lot of time looking into food intolerances as one of the most common effects is yeast in the ears and itching between the toes. Since finding this out we have removed her from Eukanuba Senior and put her on "Now" a grain free senior diet. Since doing so a couple of months ago she has been much less bothered by her ears.

I don't mean to slag Eukanuba, but I've heard from many sources that long term feeding of Eukanuba often begins to show some forms of food intolerances.
I'm also a believer that it is a good idea to change up their food every couple of years anyway to prevent this from happening.

I hope all goes well for Timber and that he is in fine form soon!

Deb

Lots'oLabs
06-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Have you tried Vegitarian dog food? There is one made by a Canadian company, Nutri-Cal I believe, Buckerfields carries it, that can cut down on a lot of infections if your dog is prone to them.
Kim
Kim, what is the protien source for this?

madrona sh
06-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Hey everyone Timber is home now. He is on antibiotics, pain meds and some heavy duty ear drops. He is doing a lot better. Thank you so much for all your info on ear problems. I really appreciate it. Timber is not aloud any toys for 2 weeks and we are supposed to keep him inactive. He will be bored. Thanks again.