PDA

View Full Version : When will my turn come...

sakofinnlight
06-09-2010, 11:48 PM
Went out hunting and fishing today but the day was miserable and we didnt get a break from the pouring rain all day. After fly fishing at some small remote lakes in the kamloops area with very little success we decided to turn our attention to bear hunting. Oops backtrack.... On the way out fishing we saw 3 bears, 2 of which were small bears that were too fast to even manage to get off a shot even if I wanted to. Then as we came around a corner we saw a very large boar that was a shooter (6 footer) I couldnt have bailed out of the truck fast enough and the bear was on the run and well we never did end up catching up to him. Dissapointed he escaped we continued onto our fishing hole where we got soaked and fishing was slow. Later on in the day I spotted what appearded to be a very nice color phase bear with a very nice chocolate brown coat. We got ready on him and upon further looking at him we decided to let him go to get bigger for next year. Continuing along the road once again we came apon 2 more bears, the first one was much to small so we passed him up then just around the next corner we saw what appeared to be a decent bear but he was off to the races very fast, (just like all the other big bears) Those were the last bears we saw today but on the way home we had a cougar run in front of the truck which was pretty cool to have happen considering a viewing is so rare with these animals. Now Iam hoping to find a nice boar to shoot before this season is over and they are all rubbed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steeleco
06-09-2010, 11:57 PM
Sounds like a good day to me. If possible try hanging out on foot close to where you saw either of the big bears. You never know.

You've seen more bears today than I've seen all spring. Good luck.

GoatGuy
06-10-2010, 01:07 AM
If they're running away you're driving too fast.

If they run off the road keep on heading down a km, get out hike back and set up. The bear'll be out within 30 minutes. Make sure the wind is in your face.

hunter1947
06-10-2010, 02:52 AM
Just keep doing what you are doing it will all come together ,think this way you saw 3 bear and one of them was a shooter next time out it just might happen.

In all yes it was wet but again in the other hand you where out in the bush going what you love to do ,thats a blessing on it own :wink:..

jessbennett
06-10-2010, 07:28 AM

If they run off the road keep on heading down a km, get out hike back and set up. The bear'll be out within 30 minutes. Make sure the wind is in your face.

thats for sure. ive even seen them back out on the road in less than 30 min!

BiG Boar
06-10-2010, 07:35 AM

x3. Most of the time this will work. Or you can still hunt back real slow and they will be in the bush only 20-50 yards. If its not too thick and the wind is right this will also work. However, most big bears are not on major loggin roads. The young dumb ones get shot.

showtimebc
06-10-2010, 08:21 AM
I think you need a better guide :mrgreen:

4 point
06-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Wow fishing was poor but bear sightings were great. I agree drive slower drive past park and go back slowly they'll be around close.

sakofinnlight
06-11-2010, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, not sure about the whole drving to fast thing, I think this because most of the smaller bears we are seing I can very easily get a shot at. Its the big boys that are off to the races and well I guess thats why they are big because they do not just stand there and watch me point a rifle at them :)

srupp
06-11-2010, 12:12 AM
By the time a bear, any bear gets any size, for blacks thats 6 feet they have had numerous encounters with vehicles and hunters in most areas..

So to find these big boyz needs different tactics...spot and stalk..glassing many open areas and sneaking in with regards to noise and wind...

Not too often (it happens ) can you drive down a road and expect to shoot a 7 foot black bear, or a 9 foot g bear..now get out a walk or spot and stalk..those chances go up......considerably up..

cheers
Srupp:-D

RiverOtter
06-12-2010, 10:32 AM
IME, the shooter bears don't come back out after being spooked, at least not the same evening you spooked em'. Bears get big/old for 2 reasons, either they live in very remote areas or they are road/clearing savvy and don't give away many shot opportunities.

jessbennett
06-12-2010, 11:56 AM
By the time a bear, any bear gets any size, for blacks thats 6 feet they have had numerous encounters with vehicles and hunters in most areas..

So to find these big boyz needs different tactics...spot and stalk..glassing many open areas and sneaking in with regards to noise and wind...

Not too often (it happens ) can you drive down a road and expect to shoot a 7 foot black bear, or a 9 foot g bear..now get out a walk or spot and stalk..those chances go up......considerably up..

cheers
Srupp:-D

way up!:wink: