PDA

View Full Version : Ukee Report

IronNoggin
06-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Just back in yesterday from Ukee.
I was one of those trollers out there on the Big Bank.
Fishing was rather good there, as well as several other places we wandered:
- South Bank - lots but small fish.
- Big Bank - lots, and larger fish. Halibut so damn thick we had to move on occasion! Saw springs to well over 30 pounds!
- Portland Point - was lots of larger fish, they moved a couple of days ago.
- Lighthouse Bank - Very good for large springs right now (those that wandered over from Portland). Up to 40 pounds.
- The Wreck - slow for springs, loads of halibut.

Size of the coho was nearly staggering for this time of year! They will be Monsters a little later in the season, but their numbers appear to be off from most previous years.

Just a note: that was not the end of Area G's (WCVI Troll Fleet) quota (or Total Allowable catch - TAC) for this year. There remains a considerable number in reserve. We will be prosecuting a "plug only" fishery sometime in August, and perhaps another shot in September to address the balance (our fishing "year" runs from October through October for whatever reason). Even with the numbers we will be allowed to harvest, the recreational sector will likely top that in overall removals, as they have for the past several years.

All in all I suggest it is looking MORE than good for the impending sport season. Good numbers of springs and halibut for sure. Like I stated, the coho appear to off the mark at this time, but that could well change as the season progresses. Already know of certain landings of springs to 40 pounds. Gonna be some FUN methinks! http://fishbcforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/lmao.gif

Back in town for a little spell to unwind, then donning the Guide Hat once again. My Dance Card is getting fuller each passing day as folks hear of the success rates out there, but still a little wiggle room left if anyone is interested (get ahold of me soon if that's your thoughts btw!).

Hope a few of you make it out there this season! Likely be One To Remember, and Big Grins are damn near assured! http://fishbcforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/nana.gif

Cheers,
Nog

06-09-2010, 12:41 PM
I dont want to hear it!!!!!!!!!

I miss that place! I need to be rich. Portland when it is happening is great, Throw a chovie to the floor and you get both good halies and chinook..

Great report Nog!

Sideofabarn
06-09-2010, 12:55 PM
You're just teasing now Nog.

Johnnybear
06-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Good, good, good!!!:-D:-D:-D

Hope that NW stays down in the morning so we can get out to the big bank this weekend.

Thanks for the report Nog.

06-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Hey Johnny bear,
you ever got to South Bank instead? It can be as good at times and is half the run for you

pnbrock
06-09-2010, 02:52 PM
ill look you up noggin will be at the govy aswell.cheers Pat

Islander30
06-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the report...going up for 3 or 4 days , hope weather permits me at least one day out to the Big Bank "halibut so damn thick" is where I like to fish:mrgreen:

abbyfireguy
06-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Heading to Bamfield on the 22nd for 4 days. Hope its good offshore for hali.

island grown
06-11-2010, 07:52 AM
morning guys,

i'm back in Bamfield now. yesterday was 20-30k gusts, 2m at beale in the afternoon with chop. it's supposed to settle for the weekend. hope everyone has a great time.
cheers

island grown
06-12-2010, 08:03 AM
saturday june 12th, 8am. calm and bright sun shine in bamfield. buddy is on the rats nose right now, give you guys a daily report when he's back to the dock.
keep your lines tight.

spreerider
06-12-2010, 11:16 AM
I will be out halli fishing in Ukee on the 19th

IronNoggin
06-13-2010, 12:51 PM
saturday june 12th, 8am. calm and bright sun shine in bamfield. buddy is on the rats nose right now, give you guys a daily report when he's back to the dock.
keep your lines tight.

and... :confused:

Wonderin'
Nog

Johnnybear
06-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Well just finished cutting, bagging, and brining all morning:mrgreen:.

Went out yesterday for a day trip with my son/first mate Jake, my hunting buddy, and his wife. Got out late due to super low tide on Saturday morning (can't launch at Salmon Beach). We were going to go for it out to the 20 plus mile mark somewhere but decided to hit the spot we were at last weekend off of Long Beach. We got off to a slow start with a couple of springs in the boat there (many being landed by other boats) and after a few hours we decided to hit the South corner on the way back. Good call as we hit the evening bite and had the whole place to ourselves except for one troller (test fishing?).

We got 5 more springs, a chicken, a couple of rockfish that didn't look releasable, and then my buddy's wife hooks into this one............

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii297/Coal_miner/Fishing%202010/img_0070.jpg

Hears the kicker. It's was her first halibut:shock:!!! Lots of meals for them for a while.

Beautiful day on the water. Good company, good fishing, and the look on my buddy's wife's face when we got her fish in the boat. That's why I love fishing WCVI:-D.

Cheers
Jb

island grown
06-13-2010, 10:33 PM
flat calm except for the first mile off of beale, few nice springs in the high teens, couple coho, few yellow eye, one small chicken about 15lb and a 29lb ling.
anyone have a report for south bank or the wreck?

and... :confused:

Wonderin'
Nog

Johnnybear
06-13-2010, 10:43 PM
flat calm except for the first mile off of beale, few nice springs in the high teens, couple coho, few yellow eye, one small chicken about 15lb and a 29lb ling.
anyone have a report for south bank or the wreck?

Look at the post right above yours:mrgreen:. Are you guiding out of Bamfield island grown?

island grown
06-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Look at the post right above yours:mrgreen:. Are you guiding out of Bamfield island grown?

not guiding anymore, might do a few charters to help a buddy out this summer though. originally from bamfield, sure do miss being down there full time. but, once you have kids they have to go to school somewhere!!

thanks for putting up great reports johnnybear.

on a side note, i got my first bear on the way home the other day. too many bears around there.

have a great time fishing everyone!