PDA

View Full Version : PAL and CORE!

BigFordGirl
06-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Hey everybody! I'm new here, from a huge hunting family finally goin' to get my PAL and CORE this month!

I have my CORE book already and I'm studying!

Any tips for the courses? Exams?

06-07-2010, 02:35 PM
The duck part was hard!
Welcome to the site

r106
06-07-2010, 03:00 PM
The tests are fairly easy. It's mostly safty, Law and comon sense stuff. Remember to read the way they word the questions carefully. Make sure you now how to read the Hunting Synopsis becuse that will be tested and don't be afraid to use the Synopsis to find answers to other questions as well. It is allowed. I thought the duck ID part was going to be extremly hard and studied the hell out of that section. Turns out there was no duck ID section to the test. LOL
________
Buy vaporizers (http://vaporizers.net/vaporizers)

tristanmac
06-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Don't point the gun at the instructor

Steeleco
06-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Don't point the gun at the instructor

That would end the test RFN :wink::wink:

Also EVERY TIME you touch a firearm of any kind, ensure it's empty, safe and the bore clear.

The Hermit
06-07-2010, 03:43 PM
That would end the test RFN :wink::wink:

Also EVERY TIME you touch a firearm of any kind, ensure it's empty, safe and the bore clear.

That goes for every time you touch a firearm AFTER the exam too! ;-)

GoatGuy
06-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Safety's the most important part.

Pay attention in the courses, don't worry about the exams. :mrgreen:

TPK
06-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Regarding the C.O.R.E. test. Study the book and if you can honestly do the review questions without trouble .. you should do fine on the test. As mentioned, read the questions carefully and choose the "best" right answer.

There are no questions on the test from the supplemental sections, so no need to study those but there is great info in these sections and I strongly reccomend you read them at some point. There are also no questions about fishing ... so you don't need to study that chapter for the test, but again, good info and you should read it at some point.

If you get your PAL, then you won't need to do the practical firearms portion of your C.O.R.E. test. You will need to bring proof of your PAL, either your actual PAL or the paper that says you passed and show the Instructor.

henderson
06-07-2010, 05:57 PM
The duck part was hard!
Welcome to the site

My old man told me to study the shit out of the ducks as well, but when I took my test they didn't ask hardly anything about them. I think there were two or three questions on ducks throughout the whole test.

open-sights
06-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Welcome aboard!

GoatGuy
06-07-2010, 06:54 PM
My old man told me to study the shit out of the ducks as well, but when I took my test they didn't ask hardly anything about them.

Pretty safe to say there won't be any questions on duck shit. :wink:

Phreddy
06-07-2010, 09:54 PM
The written test is pretty straight forward and if you read the book and do the chapter review questions, re-read the book, you will most likely pass. The only folks who don't seem to pass are the ones who are too lazy to do the reading.
The most common things I've, failed folks taking the practical exam on are not keeping their finger off the trigger, and pointing the firearm in an unsafe direction (i.e.-at me)
Memorize ACTS and PROVE until you can say them backwards in your sleep, because just about everything on the practical involves those principals.
Have fun and welcome to the site.

lamber
06-07-2010, 10:20 PM
just took my core in march . they eliminated almost all of the duck i.d. stuff from it. only a few random questions. study the glossary section. and apparently there are no coyote on vancouver island hint :(

buck nash
06-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Are you taking the courses or challenging the exams? If you're from a hunting family then most of the pal stuff is gonna be stuff you already know. Common sense stuff really. Like phreddy says, memorize the acts and prove because thats what the practical portion is all about. be sure to take your pal first so you don't have to do the practical with your core. Be sure you know how to read your synopsis.

tristanmac
06-08-2010, 10:39 AM
For the practical, practice handling a friend or family members firearm. The instructor will probably have a pump shotgun, bolt and lever action rifles for you to use (possibly more or different actions). Get familiar with each action, where the safety's are, loading/unloading, identifying the caliber etc etc... also don't be afraid to ask a question.. every firearm is different.

Good luck!

muledeercrazy
06-08-2010, 01:41 PM
pay attention in the class, make sure you ask questions if you are not clear about something, and be very serious about the gun safety (inclusive). Have fun. It is not hard, and should be enjoyable.

77Gunner
06-08-2010, 08:21 PM
it helps if you drive a chevy.... jk

BigFordGirl
06-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate the tips. It all seems pretty straight forward...common sense...don't shoot the instructor lol.

Can't wait to get out there this fall!

Anybody on here shoot at the Langley Rod and Gun Club? I'm thinkin' about joining down there. Any opinions?

06-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Just watch out for the ducks! there tricky buggers

BigFordGirl
08-25-2010, 07:50 AM
It's been a while since I've been on here but I wanted to let everyone know that I got my PAL in the mail a few weeks ago and had no problem getting my CORE. I was the first one finished the exam, only took me 10 minutes, and I only got ONE question wrong and even the instructor said it was a stupid question anyways lol. Just a tip to anyone else doing these two courses, pay attention to the wording! The questions are pretty simple but they will try to get you by wording the questions weird.

Rock Creek opening day! Woo woo!!!

Peters Wildlife
08-25-2010, 08:03 AM
Looks like you got some good advise, the only thing I could add to that is, you should study the terminology, for example: Acts,Prove,Ungulate,Speculum,Cervid,Bovid and so an. Hope some of this helps and good luck!