PDA

View Full Version : Tannery in B.C

bc_buckshot
06-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Anyone know a tannery in the lower mainland. If not, do which ones have you dealt with and the outcome. Cheers

jml11
06-07-2010, 10:35 AM
There is North Surrey Fur Tannery but I don't recommend them as I had a bad experience which still hasn't been resolved...3 years later and no capes back yet...I have had good results from Northgate in Kamloops and I know of quite a few Taxidermists that use them as well. I believe there is another good one in Vernon.

kootenayslam
06-07-2010, 12:44 PM
don't use the one in vernon, they lost our cougar hide 5 yrs ago and didn't do anything about it.

bc_buckshot
06-07-2010, 12:58 PM
I called the one in 150 mile (jason) and he said he doesn't do it anymore. He has a full time job and no time for tanning

snareman1234
06-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Jamie reynolds in agassiz sends his to a tannery, he did an awesome job on my bobcat, He now has a bear and 3 beavers of mine

06-07-2010, 01:19 PM
I use BC Fur, down in Vancouver off Commercial.
Getting back my Bison hide any day now.

Tatonka is soon to grace my Man Cave Hemmingway Lodge Dead Room.

CT

jessbennett
06-07-2010, 01:31 PM
I forgot about him, but from what I heard of the quality this news is probably a good thing.

not a dam thing wrong with the quality of work that jason did. you ever get anything personally done by him? :? and yes jason is not doing it anymore.

jml11
06-07-2010, 02:43 PM
not a dam thing wrong with the quality of work that jason did. you ever get anything personally done by him? :? and yes jason is not doing it anymore.

I had explained myself here but I know some of you know the guy and in fact I have coworkers that do as well so I've edited my post to avoid an on-going debate that can only go downhill from here. I know what I have heard and seen and will keep my opinions to myself. He no longer tans anymore so it doesn't even matter anymore.

bc_buckshot
06-07-2010, 03:12 PM
This post is not about cutting down other peoples work, i would like to know who other people went to for tanning and if there is anyone local. I have no problem sending my hide to vernon or kamloops I just thought maybe there was a local guy that could do it too.

Slee
06-07-2010, 03:23 PM
what kind of prep work needs to be done to a hide before its sent to a tannery?

jml11
06-07-2010, 03:27 PM
This post is not about cutting down other peoples work, i would like to know who other people went to for tanning and if there is anyone local. I have no problem sending my hide to vernon or kamloops I just thought maybe there was a local guy that could do it too.

You did ask who we've dealt with and the outcome...sometimes the outcome isn't positive and it's fair to warn people if that was the case. The closest tannery to you is probably North Surrey Fur Tannery and in the past they did do great work for me. My latest experience hasn't gone well but it has nothing to do with the quality of the work and everything to do with business relations. If have friends that have had great service and product from them and continue to use them. The only Tanner that I have never heard anything negative out of and have always had great service is Northgate in Kamloops. All of my self made and professional mounts were tanned by him. Just a heads up though the guy is on holidays and his company isn't accepting any work until he gets back.

Pete
06-07-2010, 09:56 PM
what kind of prep work needs to be done to a hide before its sent to a tannery?
Unless you want to pay the tannery there are several things that you can do to save yourself money. If you are doing a bear for example it should be fleshed as clean as possible. The tail should be split right to the end. The paws should be skinned out right to the last knuckle joint with the claws left on, if you are doing a standing mount skin out the pad and leave it attached to the hide. Ears must be turned meaning that you skin out the ear but leave the cartledge attached. Lips must be split meaning you start at the lip line and carefully butterfly the lip, try not to go through the lip while doing this. And finally carefully skin out the cartledge from the nose. You will want to salt the paws and head. This will help prevent the hair from slipping as well it assists in the tanning process.

bc_buckshot
06-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Everything is done. I did all the prep myself the day I got the bear. Everything is flipped and ready to go. I don't know how to do the tanning part myself. I just need someone to tan the hide and when its time, put the forms in for the mount

cainer
06-07-2010, 11:06 PM
i sent mine to Ray Wiens and he sent it out to whoever he uses-they did a great job-I did most of the prep work myself-and paid for delivery there and back.

Slee
06-08-2010, 08:02 AM
i sent mine to Ray Wiens and he sent it out to whoever he uses-they did a great job-I did most of the prep work myself-and paid for delivery there and back.

What was the turn-around time for that?

Pete
06-08-2010, 08:22 AM
don't use the one in vernon, they lost our cougar hide 5 yrs ago and didn't do anything about it.

X2.... Did exactly the same thing with my buddies wolf