PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Yogi in Merritt Region

Bobby Jr
06-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Hey all...

Been doing lots of looking around the local and far away hills.

I've done atleast 3 bear trips this spring (Boston Bar, Squamish Valley & Paska Lake (Kamloops)). Seen some really beautiful country, seen a few bears, just haven't had the chance to connect yet.

I'm planning on heading up this weekend for the yearly fishing trip to the Merritt region. I've seen a bear or two just north/west of Merritt. We typically head to the Chataway lakes region and when we head home (vancouver) we take one of the backroads to spences bridge. Thats where I've seen the bear(s) in past years. They weren't roaming all around, just saw the radom bear running away.

Looking to hopefully connect with a bear this final weekend along with some fishing. Anyone know if this region is really worth driving around looking for a bear? I was up in the Kamloops area this weekend and didn't see one pile of bear poop...just got my truck stuck in a DEEP muck pile. Thankfully a friend had tow straps and a hefty truck.

I'm happy to make a day trip out of going to an area if someone can suggest somewhere. Obviously not looking for honey holes because thats just silly. But if its worth my while to look around this region or the nearby area...or should I just give'er next season and head way out to some remote region?

Thanks in advance.

bobby jr

RJ
06-06-2010, 11:20 PM
I saw a bunch on my way to Kelowna the other week, find some poo, stop and get outta your truck and take a walk around :-D

Steeleco
06-07-2010, 12:11 AM
There are so many nice places to hunt within 50km of Merritt. Try a little east of town on either side of the connector. There's so much green in there you may have to cover some ground. But, RJ's advise is good advise!!

3kills
06-07-2010, 12:45 AM
lots of food and lots of bears. just havent had much of a chance myself yet

huntwriter
06-07-2010, 06:44 AM
There's a bear behind every tree around Merritt. CO's killed seven bears near the city of Merritt this year. Just look around near alfalfa fields and cut blocks with lots of green. The recent weeks of rain we had here provided plenty of food for wildlife. Lots of logging going on up around Chataway and it affected wildlife movement a bit.

Bears typically come out to feed later in the afternoon, find a few likely places and watch them with a good pair of binos. Good luck!