PDA

View Full Version : Best 2 1/2 days flyfishing ..ever

srupp
06-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Well I needed a few quality hours...coincidently so did Susan..:rolleyes: so I packed up the travel trailer and went fly fishing Friday afternoon, Saturday and came home this afternoon Sunday.

I only flyfished...trying out my new fly line by Scientific Angler.."Sharkskin Series" 6 weight floating ..and oh my goodness does it ever cast great..

Anyhow I hit 8 or 9 fish during my on the lake when it wasnt raining..today if you didnt go out when it was raining you aint getting out..

Smallest....SMALLEST fish to the boat...9 pounds !...thats the smallest..

next was a chrome 10 pound SLAB.......and several around 12..

I also had one from HADES....it spooled me completely...it finally jumped 1/2 way accross the lake next to another fisherman..promply causing him to spill his beer..that was in excess of 15 pounds..the Sage Z-AXIS 6 weight weighs 3 oz and it just couldnt put enough pressure on to even slow the fish down..

When you consider all the fish were landed on 5 pound leader tippet..and the 10 # fish on 4# tippet leader...a lot of finess and time was needed to get it done....

Not feeling so hot tonite..sick again..so off to bed photos are in the camera so pictures in the AM...this time I did take pictures..

cheers
Srupp:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

frenchbar
06-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Sweet..looking forward to the pics!

kennyj
06-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Wow!!! I can't wait to see those photos. I've never heard of a catch like that.
kenny

srupp
06-06-2010, 08:27 PM
After fly fishing since age 9..only 2 lakes I know of that this could be possible..and I was on one of em...ya still pinching myself..however Susan was on the phone with her girlfriend..and she said..."yes kathy..Im not kidding they look like salmon..they are huge..":mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

photos will show the size

Steven

mike_b
06-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Did you belly boat or sit in a boat? Definately looking forward to see some pictures.

Now....what lake did you say you went to?:mrgreen:

Mike

Benthos
06-06-2010, 09:08 PM
wow, I'm jealous. Sounds like a great trip.

I'm hoping to get out this weekend to try out my brand new 6wt Orvis Hydros flyrod. Not sure I'll get into anything of that quality though!!

looking forward to the pics

bsa30-06
06-06-2010, 09:25 PM
sounds like a great weekend steven,take care of yourself.

Chuck
06-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Kootenay lake could produce like that 60 years ago. However flyfishing wasn't the most popular method used back then. Trolling large plugs and gang trolls were the norm. This information was imparted to me by my father, an avid fisherman, some years ago.

srupp
06-06-2010, 09:56 PM
:mrgreen:lol the two lake are Sheridan lake on Hwy 24..and Forest Lake north of Williams lake..both produce amazing trophies...the biggest rainbow I have seen on a fly was over 23 pounds..from one of these lakes..I have a photo of a rainbow that is in excess of 20 #s from the same lake..

I was talking with a very accomplished "technical fly fisherman" mostly chronies..and he said this lake has been changed in the stocking program..They used to put GERRARD rainbows in this lake..that changed several years ago..and now...if I remember properly they stock this lake with Pennask triploid bows..which have a different eating pattern than the gerrards...good thing I found the Gerrards to be all heads..poor fighters and just plain ugly...(my oppinion)

These Pennask certainly are quite the fighters...a couple of these fish took 60 yards of backing in mere seconds....had the drags been poorly set...= tight would have been possible to lose every fish...

The 10 pound was the fastest peel line from the reel I have encountered in years...maybe ever...

The 15 + pounder didnt just break my line darn near broke my heart..intersting..there were mayflies and caddis and many "blue shrimp" shrimp have an exoskeleton..there boney skeleton is actually on the outside and they shuck it like a snake does its skin and thus is able to grow larger..there were tons of these blue...freshly molted shrimp..

This time of year and with Pennask bows(so says this guy who seemed to know his stuff about pennask strain of bows ) should have been a field day for chronomid fishermen..not so...

Oh well...an absolute stunning flyfishing trip..and like I said that Sage Z-axis rod with the Scientific Anglers floating flyline 6 weight..when that gets SMACKED by a 9 pound rain bow on a tiney mayfly pattern just under the surface while dead drifting with the wind...well the flyrod almost tore out of the holder..and the "creaking " of neck bones as everyone turned to see what the he^%(%(..screaming reels DEMAND attention...

steven

landphil
06-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Sounds like fun.:-D You forgot to mention which lake this was at - a simple oversight I'm sure, and I am confident you will correct this as quickly as possible.:wink: JK!
EDIT: Whoops - you beat me too it!

srupp
06-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Forest.

Steven

riverbandit
06-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Good for you Steven.

Some of my fondest flyfishing memories are from that lake too. I for one don't need to see any pictures. I can tell your the type that tells it like it is. Been there and experienced it for myself (8 or 9lbs. is my best). I had a flyline and 75yrds of backing dissappear in seconds and there was nothing I could do. The painful "snap" at the end left me trembling.
That was before the place turned into a gong show. There is one way out west of you thats similar except I think they are wild in there.

Would love to chat with you sometime about a certain river if you have time.

Cheers

srupp
06-06-2010, 10:30 PM
absolutley riverbandiit..we should have a chat..I do know lots of lakes that hold "big" fish..this is one that truly holds behemoths..and the most amazing is the size of the Lake..er pond..its not ver big at all...

As for gong show..absolutley..but I just go do my own thing...there are two groups one from Vancouver who follow a "guru" fly fishing "god"..heard his name whispered in utter reverence...sheesh...and the Seattle group who dont understand bringing 50 boats toa pond at one time is ridiculous in the extreme....

I used only flies I tied..and the couple that did all the damage one was from watching Sportsfishing on the Fly..think the guy is Don Freshi?Grant Fines??anyhow one of their patterns I tied up..and did some "improvements"lol ..lol 100 pounds of rainbows in 2 1/2 days all in 8 or 9 fish....

Now I hope that damn camera works..lol (it does I looked at the photos already...(shades of stone sheep anger for lack of photos...

cheers
Srupp

boxhitch
06-07-2010, 07:07 AM
Some good fish there it sounds like.
Not just the fact they are Pennask stock, but the key is they fact they are triploids. All triploids are fast growers, and usually stocked as catchables.

harbinger
06-07-2010, 07:43 AM
i'm dieing here, can we see the pics please!

2slow
06-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Sounds like a day fishing I only dream about. Is there fairly good float tube access to that lake?

srupp
06-07-2010, 11:16 AM
2 slow .... great float tube access..small lake..pretty well protected..

cheers
Steven

wife has me doing clean-up chores..photos will be here,,

srr

branthunter
06-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Looking forward to the pics---years ago I saw pics of fish like that from a fly-in lake south of Vanderhoof.

srupp
06-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Its obvious that riverbandit has fished there..I do not have the words to describe the strength or the speed these fish have in spooling a quality fly reel..large arbour...absolutley has to be seen and experienced...

I know nothing about Pennask strain, or triploids..etc etc must be something to be done this winter....since they eat totally different from Gerrards must study up..

trailer almost cleaned out....physio..appointment..then to sani dump..things that must get done...yet today..

the 2 fish without gills or guts...are going up to the rod and gun club for "official weighing" on a standardized scale???=??? to go into competition for our clubs fall awards nite....some pretty acomplished fly fishermen..much better than I...see how they stack up...my goodness 10 # trout on fly cant be THAT common???we will see...
steven

nano
06-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Sounds like a great weekend, congrats on the fish.

KB90
06-07-2010, 08:53 PM
photos are in the camera so pictures in the AM...this time I did take pictures..

................:-D

showtimebc
06-07-2010, 10:12 PM
srupp, that sounds like an amazing time with some outstanding fish to say the least! looking forward to seeing a few pics!

BlacktailStalker
06-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Not feeling well at 7:47pm and still posting several hours later :confused: as well as all day today :raazzz:
Lets get these slabs up for the less fortunate :cool:
Biggest trout I've been in to on the fly is 4lbs but I've never been to the Interior...

srupp
06-07-2010, 10:32 PM
The smallest fish of the two.... I have measurments I will add to the next group of photod of the bigger fish, although look at the length, girth, depth..fish from this lake must be 50 cm, limit of one per day

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100710001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100700001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100720001.jpg

sorry for the delay

cheers..ps it IS worth the wait..
steven

Springer
06-08-2010, 02:45 AM
Well look at the Pearly whites on this guy !! The smile says it all Big Bro.
Nice slabs of Rainbow.
Its good to see you getting some bouts of good enough health to be out in the rain catching Lunkers.

Congrats Steve.

ianwuzhere
06-08-2010, 03:43 AM
Wow, them are some beauties!!!!Look very long- any measurements??
Spool up the BBQ cuz gonna be a feast!!!
Good Job and keep them pix comin!!!

srupp
06-08-2010, 04:57 AM
a few minutes here and there Phil...when your here..no shooter bears and LOTS of smaller fish..when you go to your other home.....the fish and game come out to play..what gives.???????
\
On a side note I dress like the mysterious neighbor on Tool Time... of Tim Taylor..always wore a hat frumpy clothing..no sense of style..

Ianwuzhere..this one ..if I remember was 69 cm in length..so..a bit over 27 inches in length..but what it doesnt show is how wide he is he has shoulders..and a very reasonable thickness...I have big mitts...

the third picture shows his length a bit better..a respectable catche anyhow.

steven

doubled
06-08-2010, 05:28 AM
Again Steven, nice catch. Wish I could try that lake out as it has been on my hit list for some time now.

srupp
06-08-2010, 05:34 AM
hmmm ELK, Forest, Dragon, Sheridan, Owen..remember those names and do a road trip..you wont be disapointed....not far from Okanagan

steven

CanuckShooter
06-08-2010, 06:57 AM
hmmm ELK, Forest, Dragon, Sheridan, Owen..remember those names and do a road trip..you wont be disapointed....not far from Okanagan

steven

You could add Big Lake [south of Hanceville] to the list of big rainbow spots....:wink:

Tikka270wsm
06-08-2010, 07:07 AM
That's a real nice bow. Thanx for pics.

hillclimber
06-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Beautiful fish Srupp! Man I wish I still had a picture of the 8lbs I pulled out of Sheridan a few years ago, damn hard drive crashed!!!! Oh well hopefully in a month i'll be relaxing on Sheridan.

Kody94
06-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Nice pics Srupp! Love the last one...has an "old school" feel about it with the mac jacket and the angle!

Cheers
4Ster

BlacktailStalker
06-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Yep nice fish !

srupp
06-08-2010, 12:56 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/SRR_35330001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/SRR_35300001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/SRR_35340001.jpg

srupp

06-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Thoes flippin' things are tanks!
I think my 4# would be insufficent there!

srupp
06-08-2010, 02:47 PM
I agree that a 4# flyrod would be undergunned..I sincirley had difficulties with the 10 # on my 6 weight Sage...and the 15# just took me to school...using such small sized tippetts..4# and 5# doesnt help the success rate all it takes is one last kick of the tail..=enough power to snap 4# line..
srr

06-08-2010, 02:55 PM
This is beyond my grasp!
I have a 8# Sage DS for Coho and Steelhead in the 10-15lb range!
not a 6#. Man i have never seen a Rainbow close to that size.

My Dad and myself fished Coho and Steelhead in a lake here, They used to show up in Aug-Sept. We used our 5 wieghts. It was like tarpon fishing! they hit with a BAM GONE! OOOOHHHHH NOOOOO!!

bsa30-06
06-08-2010, 03:30 PM
incredible fish Steven,thanks for posting.

Tarp Man
06-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Those fish are pigs! You should have had Susan hold them in the first place because your "paws" do shrink them a bit. The shoulders and girth on the one in her left hand are just mammoth! I think I would be using my 8wt in there, now that I know that is possible! My 5wt medium action might just never recover...

Kudu
06-08-2010, 04:38 PM
I used only flies I tied..and the couple that did all the damage one was from watching Sportsfishing on the Fly..think the guy is Don Freshi?Grant Fines??anyhow one of their patterns I tied up.

cheers
Srupp

Not the Bulldog was it? that is one shit-hot little fly by the way....

I have been dying to get up that way to fish, I have heard through the grapevine that there is fantastic fishing up there, maybe this year when I bring my youngsters hunting up that way - a couple of the "long Rods" will find their way into the car as well.........

Tell me something if you would please, you know the place where you nailed that fantastic sheep of yours, when going up there with Kevin, did you think about casting a fly in those waters?

I ask because I will be up there in August with Kevin, hunting the same areas, and I'm thinking seriously of taking a light weight six weight with me.

srupp
06-08-2010, 06:48 PM
why yes..yes it was the Bulldog...:mrgreen: fall and the bulldog should be awesome yes 8 wt.

When I was taken up the river by Kevin ALL 100 % was stone sheep..fishing never crossed my mind..not once...I didnt take goat, elk , bear or any other tags I was there for sheep.I suggest the same???lol:wink:

do one thing and do it well...

steven

riverbandit
06-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Atta Boy!! Nice, nice fish. Thanks for taking the time to share with us. Me thinks there might be lots of yummy bugs in that lake.

Jim:-D

Springer
06-08-2010, 10:32 PM
a few minutes here and there Phil...when your here..no shooter bears and LOTS of smaller fish..when you go to your other home.....the fish and game come out to play..what gives.???????
\
On a side note I dress like the mysterious neighbor on Tool Time... of Tim Taylor..always wore a hat frumpy clothing..no sense of style..

Ianwuzhere..this one ..if I remember was 69 cm in length..so..a bit over 27 inches in length..but what it doesnt show is how wide he is he has shoulders..and a very reasonable thickness...I have big mitts...

the third picture shows his length a bit better..a respectable catche anyhow.

steven

yes Steve I was going to ask why you would only let me troll a soupcan lid on a piece of rope just in case the big one hit....I even carried the open can of sardines unknowingly in my Backpack looking for bears and still no action.
I guess i will just watch the pictures from home and pretend i was there.
Susan makes those Fish look Much Bigger thats for sure.
Take care Bro.

cwocarsten
06-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Nice fishing. I am off to my cabin at Hatheume Lake for fathers day wknd as the chronomid fishing is hot now. Can't wait.

N-W-Redneck
06-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Nice looking fish srupp! Sounds like a great trip!
Not to hijack your thread too badly, but I am going to Sheridan lake resort for a week towards the end of August for my sister-in-law's wedding. I've never been there before and have never tried fly fishing, although my future B-I-L has fly gear and has offered to teach me. I'll be bringing the little spin-casting stuff I have. Any recommendations on gear and techniques for either type (flies/lures/bait) for that time of year? Thanks in advance! :D

srupp
06-09-2010, 03:09 PM
the lake will be the warmest of the year..there is a trench..deep part along "the island? use a shrimp or a leech pattern and troll it DEEP AND SLOW (casting may be too much all @ once..)

cheers
Steven

hillclimber
06-09-2010, 03:34 PM
N-W-Redneck, if you want any help with trolling send me a PM

silvercreek20
06-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Nice Fish Sruppster,

Long time no hear. How's things?? Can''t wait to touch base again since I have left the puddle. I have also been fortunate to land some Bombers outa that lake in the seven years i lived there. Thing i found with the fish out of that lake was they were VERY "muddy". Didn't matter what time of year you couldn't shake the taste.

Smoker hid it pretty good but still had that tinge to it.

Take care Srupp and hope to catch up soon! Make sure you give me a shout if you are heading through Merritt and i will make good on my promise to return the favor you did for me on that Grizz. I will hook you up with some MONSTER open range mulies from some private areas around here!!

Cheers bud,

Mike

srupp
06-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Hi Mike..ya 10-4 on the muddy taste but since this is a new strain I thought Id try it..also for our gun club competition ya cant just give estimates or photos..all have to be weighed by official weigher...

Ya that sounds like fun..a muley deer hunt hmmmm can see me doing something like that..
send me a PM with your Tel.# ..please, THANKS

get the bear done up??

some gooders got this year also..

cheers
Srupp

Big Lew
06-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Tremendous fish, more importantly, great fishing, thanks for sharing not only your experience with us, but also where and how you did it. Not everyone is as generous as you are, both in fishing and hunting, great stuff! On a side note, a small lake, greenlee, on the north west side of canim lake used to produce similiar monsters when I started flyfishing in 1966, don't know how it does now, haven't tried it since 1970.

srupp
06-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Greenlee doesnt seem to be much of a producer now adays so i hear...with so many GREAT lakes kinda hard to spend time at "so so "lakes...

Right now I can name maybe 8 lakes that consistantly produce decent fish(over 5 pounds)...and is fly fisher friendly..

Steven

ps tied up another 5 leech patterns for my next outing..for some reason the others were a little torn, ripped, mangled and had seen better days..lol

Srr

jessbennett
06-27-2010, 03:40 PM
Greenlee doesnt seem to be much of a producer now adays so i hear...with so many GREAT lakes kinda hard to spend time at "so so "lakes...

Right now I can name maybe 8 lakes that consistantly produce decent fish(over 5 pounds)...and is fly fisher friendly..

Steven

ps tied up another 5 leech patterns for my next outing..for some reason the others were a little torn, ripped, mangled and had seen better days..lol

Srr

fish cook lake at all or often? i love throwin a fly in that lake

srupp
06-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Hi Jess...no not so much....ELK, Jacksons Hole, Helena, Sheridan, Owen, Fir, Forest, Dragon..and a couple more unknown places...:wink:

cheers
Steven

SR80
06-27-2010, 07:11 PM
wow, nice fish!

jessbennett
06-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Hi Jess...no not so much....ELK, Jacksons Hole, Helena, Sheridan, Owen, Fir, Forest, Dragon..and a couple more unknown places...:wink:

cheers
Steven

last time i went to fir it was a fricken gongshow!!!!!! there was 23 boats on that poor little lake at 1 time!!!!!!!

poked our nose into owen and seen a couple that had been there 3 weeks and had caught 3 fish!!!!!!! thats patience id say!!!

srupp
06-27-2010, 10:48 PM
TIP: OWEN lake is a CADDIS lake shhhhhhhhhh keep it a secret..
And when you catch a 11 pound rainbow ON THE SURFACE with a travelling sedge....omgoodness

Steven