PDA

View Full Version : Family camping tent recommendations

Casagrande
06-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Slightly off topic, but looking for a family camping tent, 5-6 man, vestibule req'd. Under $300. I know you get what you pay for, but with a dog and a five year old I'm not using my $700 mountaineering tent! The Outbound Outpost Long ($250 at Wholesale) seems like a good pick. Recommendations please.
Thanks

pnbrock
06-06-2010, 06:53 PM
check craigslist.

Casagrande
06-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Let's just stick to tent recommendations please. Sometimes these threads tend to go for a walk.

Rob
06-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Costco has a nice one, with a huge vestibule

Casagrande
06-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Come on boys, help me out here. Make? Model?

Steeleco
06-06-2010, 07:16 PM
I was so close to buying a "cabin tent" last year. You can get some very good deals on E-bay.
They are made of good thick canvass, have a nylon floor (as opposed to wall tents). They are warmer than nylon tents and plenty big for the family. Some of the larger ones are 5' tall at the sides so the whole family can stand up indoors.

Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-16-x-10-CANVAS-BASE-CAMP-TENT-w-Custom-FLY-Cover_W0QQitemZ120578016621QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item1c1302856d

Rob
06-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Not sure, its the big one hanging from the ceiling:mrgreen:. I bought this one a few yearsa ago and its been great. Ill check the manufacturer tom. when I get home

Casagrande
06-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Not sure, its the big one hanging from the ceiling:mrgreen:. I bought this one a few yearsa ago and its been great. Ill check the manufacturer tom. when I get home
Much appreciated!

Dukeoflawnchair
06-06-2010, 07:50 PM
I have the Outbound Outpost Long -> It's a great tent within its limitations.

1) It's a pain to carry...as just about any other family-sized tent
2) The super fly/vestibule is the perfect sail when it's windy, even with lots of wind.
3) It's unusually complicated to set-up. Not rocket science, but when it's raining and you don't know what it's supposed to look like...

On the upside, I give it a thumbs up for material and pole quality...it has survived a number of blundering drunks stumbling into/onto it.

For reference, honest to god, I bought mine for 99$ @ the Coast Mountain Sport in Prince George when I was passing through there a summer back. It was their summer-end clearance sale. I'd look for a bargain before shelling out the 250...

BimmerBob
06-06-2010, 07:58 PM
I have not used one of these, only seen the pictures but they look pretty nice and go togeather to make a multi-room tent setup. The ones I saw were made by Coleman and I think Sears might sell them. You might want to check out the Coleman web site to have a look, probably available from Cabelas or Wholesale as well?

BCbillies
06-06-2010, 08:14 PM
The Outbound meets our needs quite well. The fly goes low to the ground and has kept the west coast weather at bay! Love the large front vestibule. For the price it's hard to beat.

Dukeoflawnchair
06-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Sorry, had to come back and re-comment.

Outbound had a bad night this past weekend -> winds kicked up and snapped every single tent pole (including the isolated fly-pole!). Cursed Peace River...

I don't think any other large tent would have survived any better, but....damn.

swampthing
06-19-2010, 08:11 AM
I bought a sierra designs out of coast mountain 3-4 years ago. It was about $300 on sale. The quality has impressed me. Great zippers , ventilation and waterproof. I dont have young kids to abuse it but I have fell into and out of it a few times after celbrating a successful hunt.