PDA

View Full Version : May 16 Grizzly!!

longrifle
06-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Hey folks,

Just getting around to posting the tale of my 2010 Grizzly hunt...

This epic hunt began back in February when I found out that I had drawn one of the coveted leh authorizations for Grizzly. The area was in the heart of my old stomping grounds so I was confident :rolleyes:(hoping) that things hadn't changed that much since I left BC back in '99...

With the early spring that seemed to be happening all over BC I figured that I had better head noreast and be out for opening day on April 15...Well, it was still winter in the main valley, never mind in the side valleys, so that trip ended up being a sightseeing trip. So, with only one Black bear spotted to show for my efforts, I tucked in my tail and headed back to the lmd.

I headed to my home town again on May 1 and hunted for four days. I managed to spot two family groups, sows with one cub each, one nice boar (out of my area) while out looking for a colour phase blackie and numerous small Black bears. The boar was a mature animal, dark in colour with the classic silver shine, and the family groups were simply stunning blondes...A little more action but it was still early in the most promising areas and I couldn't get into the one valley that I wanted to spend most of my time in. I figured that in another ten days it should be perfect.

Here's the east end of a west bound grizzly!
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/longrifle_photos/Grizzly2010001.jpg

No sign of spring yet!
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/longrifle_photos/Grizzly2010002.jpg

So, May 15 rolls around and I had the next week booked off, away we go...Upon arriving at my folks place and getting the family settled in, I loaded up the ATV and my gear and was ready to head out in the early morning. 4 am came too early and I almost decided to sleep a little more but that thought quickly vanished and I was off!

After a quick drive down the main valley I dumped the ATV off and headed up into my valley of choice. I was surprised at how little new vegetation there was for the first few kilometres. Then I hit the cattle guard and was greeted by about three to four inches of new grass, excellent! I slowly putted up the road checking any openings that remained for any sign of a bear, seeing nothing. Finally a series of slides appear that show some promise, I glass them all and come up empty handed.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/longrifle_photos/Grizzly2010004.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/longrifle_photos/Grizzly2010005.jpg

I flash up the bike and head further up the valley, stopping to look at various vantage points along the way. Then I begin to see bear scat and some tracks in the dust. I have a gander and note that it is a decent sized bear (6inch pad) and a Grizzly taboot! The bear seems to have been wandering back and fourth along the old logging road. I figure that this will be a good place to walk along later on in the evening so I continue on. The tracks continue, back and fourth for about three kilometres and then I note that there is only one set of tracks heading in the same direction I am. I slowly continue on until I come upon a very fresh pile of scat...

After seeing that I figured it was time to start hiking as the bear could be close. I grabbed my binoculars, .375 and some water and off I went. I made it about a klik when I was rounding a corner and I spotted the bear at the top of the next hill! It had no idea I was there and was feeding along the bushline. I glassed it as it walked along, and then it turned sideways and headed across the road and disappeared over the hill.

I made my way up to the crest of the hill and peered over the top, the bear was not in sight. I continued on for a bit and then spotted its back just as it was going over the next hill. I ran up the road for a couple hundred yards, I remember thinking, damn it I need to start using that damned contraption in the basement more!! This game of cat and mouse continued on for about a kilometre and a half. Then I saw that there was a long, slow left turn in the road that had an old landing about halfway through the turn. I knew that I was going to get a good look at the animal and possibly a shot...

I hustled to the crest of the downhill and nestled up to a small aspen, watching the beast as it made its way down the hill. I looked the animal over and watched the way it was acting. It was swaying as it walked and was throwing its head from side to side every once in awhile, I figured it was a boar. The arse end of the bear was round, and the ears appeared to be small, both indicators of a mature animal. The fur appeared to be flawless as well, deep brown in colour with some 'shine' to it. I wanted to see the front end of the animal before I made my final decision. I leveled my rifle, preparing to take the shot and growled, nothing. I growled again, much louder this time, the bear turned broadside to see who the heck was making the racket!! He had a big square muzzle, perfect fur and the sun turned his back a golden colour! I had seen enough, this was my bear, I steadied the crosshair on his shoulder and squeezed the trigger...

KABOOM...My CZ sent a 260 grain accubond on its way! I listened for the thump of lead slapping meat and heard, not a whap, thud or thump, but the loudest WHACK I have witnessed while hunting. Now, I must admit, up until that point I hadn't shot an animal with a rifle chambered for anything bigger than a .300 wm, so hearing a big bullet hit an animal was an impressive experience.

The bear is knocked flat, I watch through the scope and see a back leg kicking, I figure, well that was easy. I look at my watch, it reads 9:04, not bothering to reload. Then I see it start to move a bit, I chamber another round. It gets its head up and starts pulling itself toward the bush with one front leg! I aim and send another abond on its way, WHACK, down it goes again. This time I reload and get ready for anything as I did not want to have to track a wounded Grizzly by myself! It starts roaring, biting rocks and throwing turf around! This is when I realize that I forgot my extra ammo back at the quad, I've only got two rounds left, idiot! I move in closer and bust him one more time in the boiler room, that ends it, thankfully. I watch for a few minutes to make sure then head back to pick up the bike.

Upon arriving at the animal I was more than impressed, it was indeed a perfectly furred mature boar, my first Grizzly!! Pictures took an hour as I wanted to get lots of good angles, which is challenging by yourself. Skinning took two hours but it went by quickly as I was entertained by listening to snow roar down the various slide chutes all around me. After completing skinning the animal I cut the hams off of the bear and loaded everything onto the ATV and headed out.

I measured the animal once I arrived at my folks, it went 89 inches from paw tip to paw tip and 79 inches in length, the skull goes 22 inches. The skull is currently being enjoyed by a colony of beetles and the hide is being made into what I'm sure is going to be a beautiful rug! I gave the hams to a fellow that I've known for years that enjoys bear meat, he was tickled to say the least. What a day!!!!!

More pics to follow (5 pic max rule sux)

longrifle
06-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Here are some pics:

Where I first spotted the bear
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/longrifle_photos/Grizzly2010006.jpg

157 metres to the bear from my aspen rest (closest tree)
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/longrifle_photos/Grizzly2010007.jpg

There he lays!
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/longrifle_photos/Grizzly2010009.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/longrifle_photos/Grizzly2010013.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/longrifle_photos/Grizzly2010015.jpg

longrifle
06-06-2010, 01:13 PM
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/longrifle_photos/Grizzly2010019.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/longrifle_photos/Grizzly2010020.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/longrifle_photos/Grizzly2010034.jpg

The happy hunter and his quarry!
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/longrifle_photos/Grizzly2010028.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/longrifle_photos/Grizzly2010037.jpg

bsa30-06
06-06-2010, 01:13 PM
congrats , nice bear.

longrifle
06-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Loaded up and ready to go home
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/longrifle_photos/Grizzly2010038.jpg

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
06-06-2010, 01:21 PM
nice g-bear congrats !!

Pioneerman
06-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Great story and even better photo's, thanks for showing your dandy bear.

killman
06-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Great job! The pics, the story and the bear= awesome! Congrats.

Phil
06-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Great looking bear you got! Congratulations.

chilcotin hillbilly
06-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Congrat on your first long claw. Good story to go with some great pictures.

Schutzen
06-06-2010, 01:25 PM
longrifle
Man another great Gbear story with awesome pics. Welldone!
Can u give us a bit of a rundown on ur bullet performance plz.
Thanx

J_T
06-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Congrats. Sounds like a very rewarding personal experience.

uraarchr
06-06-2010, 01:41 PM
great story and pics!i sure hope i can hear that smack someday soon!taking the extra time to take the pics sure pays.nice work!

Alpine Addict
06-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Great bear. took some great pics as well

huntcoop
06-06-2010, 01:50 PM
HONDA, again, takes a hunter to his quarry. Well done!!

Lillypuff
06-06-2010, 02:35 PM
wonderful thanks for the story and pics

Brett
06-06-2010, 04:08 PM
beautiful ,pics and Great story

yama49
06-06-2010, 04:16 PM
nice bear, and story. thx for sharing it....

SHACK
06-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Great story and good looking bear you put down there too!

300H&H
06-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Awsome story and a even better bear. Way to go.
Next year Im going to put in for griz.
What M.U. ?

Buck
06-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Great story Longrifle and fine pics.Bullet performance would be appreciated.Congrats well done.

gbear
06-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Great looking bear! Congrats

BromBones
06-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Good bear, good read!

Ya done well.

kennyj
06-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Great story and photos.Congratulations on an awesome grizz.
kenny

Kootenai
06-06-2010, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE=longrifle;687952]Hey folks,

This epic hunt began back in February when I found out that I had drawn one of the coveted leh authorizations for Grizzly. The area was in the heart of my old stomping grounds so I was confident :rolleyes:(hoping) that things hadn't changed that much since I left BC back in '99...

Nice bear but....I really hope when you say you left BC in '99 that you have moved back and have become a BC resident hunter again as the following regulation is:

All non-resident hunters wishing to hunt big game in the province of British Columbia must be accompanied by a registered guide.

What is a non-resident?

Non-Resident - means a person who is not a BC resident but who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, or a person who is not a BC resident but whose only or primary residence is in Canada and has resided in Canada for the 12 month period immediately before doing a thing under the Wildlife Act.

Slee
06-06-2010, 06:59 PM
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/longrifle_photos/Grizzly2010019.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/longrifle_photos/Grizzly2010020.jpg

The happy hunter and his quarry!

Awesome pics, congrats on your bear. looks like you had a blast. :!:

OutWest
06-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Nice bear and awesome pics to go with your story! Congrats.

mike_b
06-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Congrats on you gbear. Great pictures to go with a great hunt, making an even greater story.

Sitkaspruce
06-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Great story, great picts and an awesome bear!!!!

Congrats on your first Grizz!!!!

Cheers

SS

matt420
06-06-2010, 07:35 PM
nice bear man and great pics!!! congrats!!

Blainer
06-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Great looking bear and great story.
A memorable hunt for sure.
Good on ya.

demlake
06-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the pics, and the story.

Good looking bear.

dl

Rattler
06-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Way to go on your first G-bear...

Great pictures and story. Thanks for sharing.

valleycowboy
06-06-2010, 08:27 PM
great story and great pics.
congrats on your first grizz!!!!!!

Mtn Wonderer
06-06-2010, 08:59 PM
QUOTE YOUR SHITE!!!

Nice bear but....I really hope when you say you left BC in '99 that you have moved back and have become a BC resident hunter again as the following regulation is:

All non-resident hunters wishing to hunt big game in the province of British Columbia must be accompanied by a registered guide.

Next time Read ON!!!!

So, with only one Black bear spotted to show for my efforts, I tucked in my tail and headed back to the lmd. (Lower mainland)

What is a non-resident?

Non-Resident - means a person who is not a BC resident but who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, or a person who is not a BC resident but whose only or primary residence is in Canada and has resided in Canada for the 12 month period immediately before doing a thing under the Wildlife Act.[/quote]

I really hate it when guys start spouting Reg's when they have no business to do so. Get your head of your Ahjkadkjhd;!!!!!

By the way great storie , pictures and a Awesome mountain GRIZZ!!!!

MTW!

longrifle
06-06-2010, 10:38 PM
[quote=longrifle;687952]Hey folks,

What is a non-resident?

Non-Resident - means a person who is not a BC resident but who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, or a person who is not a BC resident but whose only or primary residence is in Canada and has resided in Canada for the 12 month period immediately before doing a thing under the Wildlife Act.

OMG, I have broken the law, Kootenai, quick, give me the number of the nearest CO office and I will turn myself in.

BAAAAAAAAAAHHHAHAHAHAAAHAAAAHAAHAHHAHAHAH!!!

I love it when the internet game wardens come out to play...Koot, if you had taken the time to read the story as mtnwanderer pointed out, you would have seen that I live in bc...I also have my location posted as WMU 2-4, so trust me all is above board.:mrgreen:

To all the others, thanks for the congrats!!!

As for bullet performance, none of the abonds made it through the bear. I only found one, it was buried in the far shoulder and had slipped its core. The boolits did their job and killed the bear and skeletal and muscle damage was dramatic (the left shoulder blade was in pieces no bigger than 2 inches) but I would have thought that at least one would have exited. As I said, I don't have much experience shooting game with larger calibers so perhaps I'm expecting too much but I'm still going to look at loading some barnes and woodleighs next.

'rifle

cavebear
06-06-2010, 11:10 PM
awsome bear great story congrats, im still dreaming:-D

jessbennett
06-06-2010, 11:38 PM
[quote=longrifle;687952]Hey folks,

What is a non-resident?

hahahahahaha...... well inspector gadget( errmmm i mean kootenai)........... i believe that if you had of taken the time to read the original post you would realize that you wasted a whole lot of space posting a lengthy and obvious unecassary definition of residency. part of being a "good" internet cop is COMPLETE and THOUROUGH investigation and research before pulling out the cuffs............

way to go super cop...............:mrgreen:

thanks for the lesson tho on what residency is..........

Rubberfist
06-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks for sharing the pics and story! Congrats on a great hunt and bear.

yukon john
06-07-2010, 09:45 AM
nice bear!!! good job on the picture taking to, what taxidermist are using? full mount or rug?

rocksteady
06-07-2010, 09:50 AM
[quote=longrifle;688259. Oh yeah, I'm a game warden in real life!:mrgreen:
'rifle[/quote]

We don't have Game Wardens in BC, but rather Conservation Officers, so you must be from out of the Province:wink::wink::wink:

Nice bear and awesome pics....Good on you for doing a solo grizz hunt, I did it once and it sure keeps the senses on edge....

thetackdriver
06-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Awesome looking bear. Great story. Congrats!

Ruger4
06-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Awesome bear !!
Great clear photos for a memorable hunt for years to come
Congrats

Barracuda
06-07-2010, 04:07 PM
very nice bear and thanks for the writeup.

Good choice in caliber also:wink:

the accubonds have been getting a bit of bad press for comeing unglued .

the hornady 270 grains do a good job of staying together

If barnes had a tsx in 250g it would be perfect i figure.

longrifle
06-07-2010, 04:20 PM
very nice bear and thanks for the writeup.

Good choice in caliber also:wink:

the accubonds have been getting a bit of bad press for comeing unglued .

the hornady 270 grains do a good job of staying together

If barnes had a tsx in 250g it would be perfect i figure.

nice bear!!! good job on the picture taking to, what taxidermist are using? full mount or rug?

yj, Dan at Tru-Life is doing a rug for me, I'm running out of room as it is so a full mount is out, maybe next time!?!

barra, i've heard rumblings that barnes is coming out with a 250 gr TTSX so if the rumours are true, perfection may be close...

Everyone else, thanks for the congrats, glad you enjoyed the story and pics, its a bit of work to set everything up by yourself.

'rifle

DevilDog77
06-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Great pictures...Beautiful bear!

blueboy
06-07-2010, 06:26 PM
nice bear and good shootin

Bearessentials
09-23-2010, 11:19 PM
great story, awsome picts, well done!

trigger
09-24-2010, 09:40 AM
awesome grizz man. thanks for sharing

wolverine
09-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Excellent story, excellent bear. Enjoyed the whole thing. I know what you mean about that bullet going WHACK. There is sothing like the sound of a big bullet connecting. Congrats on a real trophy.

Camp Cook
09-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Very nice...

srupp
09-24-2010, 12:35 PM
great shot placement...

srupp

orangestepside
09-24-2010, 12:54 PM
what a beauty congrats great pics and a great story

kevan
09-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Awesome pictures and a very enjoyable story !

pupper
09-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Congrats to you, I hunted those exact same spots you showed pictures of but had no luck a few years ago.

happyhunter
09-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Way to go long rifle! I hunted the same spots this spring with 4 fellas with grizzly tags but no luck on the grizz but I did take a decent black. Beautiful slides eh? And that road road (u know the one) that looks like its got manicured golf grass on it is just unreal! Congrats again

Blktail
09-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the great story and photos.

monasheemountainman
07-03-2011, 02:32 PM
sweet! cool story and awesome pics!

Vanman1985
07-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Well done!! Nice pics and great story!

notellyridge
07-03-2011, 05:43 PM
nice bear man, congrats

Elkaholic
07-04-2011, 06:50 AM
Great story and pics! Thanks for sharing. Congrats on the grizz!

markt308
07-04-2011, 09:56 AM
love the pics with mountains in the background. nicely done

nature girl
07-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Way to go on getting a great grizzly. I really like how you took some of those photos.

BCHunterTV
07-04-2011, 09:28 PM
congrats on the griz!

TheProvider
07-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Nice looking bear, congrats