PDA

View Full Version : Out of province hounds

Big Lew
06-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Was reading the thread "asking a hunter to take you hunting illegal?" and when I came to "chilcotin hillbilly's" response it reminded me of when I came upon a couple of hounds near the top end of sylvester road about 20 years ago. They had been left tied out in the full sun without any shade or water most of the day. When I checked on them in the late afternoon (gave then water) I noticed their tags were from Oregon. I never heard or saw the owners that day, but the dogs were gone in the morning. I took down the info and called the local CO. He said that there was nothing he could do because the hounders would say they were after coyotes, not bears or cougars. For those that use hounds, or know the rules, what is allowed and not, if you are from another country and bring your hounds?

BlacktailStalker
06-04-2010, 08:19 PM
You can't run coyotes either.
The only legal way a U.S resident can run hounds in BC is with a Guide outfitter on a guided hunt.

Big Lew
06-04-2010, 09:41 PM
I didn't see anyone, or hear other hounds chasing. There were no vehicles near the two tied hounds, so I can't say just what the situation was,(if there was a guide etc.) I have spent a lot of time throughout the east side and north of Stave lake area in past years, and have come across local hounders numerous times in their pursuit of bears and cougars. It's too overgrown now, but was a great area for them, lots of bears and cougar, and as long as the hounds didn't go over the top of the mountian ridges, the hounders could keep track of them fairly easily. You've got to be in great shape to keep up with the dogs in that rugged area though. Up close to Olive lake I came across hounds with a treed bear in the rock and rubble at the base of the north-east cliffs. It was probably three hours before their owners were able to get there. I've always thought it would be darn exciting to tag along, got invited a couple of times, but never found the time....to late now...too fat and old.

BlacktailStalker
06-04-2010, 10:25 PM
You should try it if the offer ever comes up, you will be happy you did.
We had a 370lb man get to a tree in 18" of snow to harvest a 15 9/16" B&C cat this past winter.
You can do it.