PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Harvest

GoatGuy
06-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Interested.

Not for trapping, hunting only (ie bows, firearms).

It's anonymous.

Steeleco
06-04-2010, 03:09 PM
I've seen quite a few. At first I didn't know what to do with one. Now I know Ray, they won't stay still long enough.

pappy
06-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Never really tried to hunt them before, but I have seen alot on the island and in Alberta near the mountains.It would be nice to have a mount, but its not that high on the list for me.

thatskindafunny
06-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Wellllllll, had my pants down around my ankles and managed to get two of the six. Wondering if I had called them in.:cry: Crap one was at about 10 feet. The wolf that is.

J_T
06-04-2010, 08:30 PM
I'd have to add, never had a solid opportunity. Seen them but they didn't provided a shot.

Sitkaspruce
06-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Seen 16 while guiding one week, shot two.
Seen 14 white wolves on Netson lake once, but was carrying my bow....
Called in a few while moose hunting, shot one.
Seen a pile more hunting and driving and have managed to get lead into a few more.
and of course the flight where we saw a bled out moose surrounded by 14 or so wolves sleeping and resting. Managed to get some good picts and video of that once and a life time opportunity.

Have hunted them as a second animal on a hunt as well as hunted them in the winter as the targeted species.

One of the toughest animal to truly hunt.

Cheers

SS

boxhitch
06-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Seen but not shot for myself.
But twice I have made sure the guy with me got his share.

tomahawk
06-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Taken them with my bow and rifle.

Drillbit
06-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Seen 4 shot and recovered 3.

luckynuts
06-05-2010, 08:09 AM
The provincial bag limit is a tough one to fill! under 1100m I think it is NBL up here. I did get 3 last year but only recovered 2. In total 4. I see more wolves than I do moose in the winter:rolleyes:.

W

sheepaholic
06-05-2010, 08:23 AM
seen 9 black wolves from the helicopter at work, and shot a few at my parents farm. they get so bad out there that hey eat a cow or calf (cattle) a day we've got 4 out of that pack and hopefully more to come.

lostindian
06-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Years ago out hunting with my uncle and my younger brother.We were walking up an old road the three of use had an uneasy feeling didn't know why but we kept on walking. A few mins went buy as we turned around there was the ass end of a wolf crossing our trail about 30 feet behind us.He had been following us for abit and thats the only piece of a wolf that I've seen.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Have only seen wolves twice.

Interestingly both times they were stalking animals. A single black stalking Stone ewes and lambs and two others stalking cattle across a farmer's field in Reg 8.

SSS

springpin
06-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Seen 2 while out hunting....1 was today, 1 was last fall...never had a chance at either one of them...

mpotzold
06-06-2010, 12:36 AM
Surveying in the Yukon & northern BC I’ve seen my share of wolves- many from helicopter.
While hunting seen some here and there over the years. They are an extremely elusive animal.
Had many chances to shoot one but refused. With the recent influx of wolves in the 5-03 region where we mostly hunt I’ll probably change my mind if I see one.

dana
06-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Shot one. Flung lead at numerous others. Hard buggers to hit when they are running through the timber.

ROEBUCK
06-06-2010, 09:32 AM
seen quite a few wolves out hunting!

had 2 good chances!

and screwed up both times!

Ambush
06-06-2010, 09:37 AM
One with a 12 guage and one with a Ford IFS.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-06-2010, 09:39 AM
GG-Any point to this survey?? Maybe to enforce the fact that opening up hunting seasons does nothing to the wolf population???

SSSewsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssss
(my cat jus stood on the key board..thought I would leave her mark):-D

killman
06-06-2010, 09:46 AM
GG-Any point to this survey?? Maybe to enforce the fact that opening up hunting seasons does nothing to the wolf population???

Yup! You could open the season all year long and it wouldn't effect them. Now if you where to offer some $$$$ for them that would be a little different.:twisted:

killman
06-06-2010, 09:50 AM
I guess I should add that I have seen a few quick flashes of wolves but never had time for a shot. Lots of tracks and kills no wolves:cry:.

bigwhiteys
06-06-2010, 09:58 AM
I've seen a few wolves while hunting, but never were we in a position to capitalize on their mistake!

Watched a pack swim the toad river out of my Grandpa's supercub once... That was pretty cool...

Carl

Lillypuff
06-06-2010, 10:17 AM
My hunting partner who is a trapper called one in to 20 feet and shot her, he has howled in numerous and killed many this is all in Northern Alberta. I would see them almost everyday when hunting moose along the railway, they picked up all the dead beavers the train ran over. In my moose honeyhole you could not cow call 2 days in a row without them answering, did not effect the hunting much they moose just came in quiet

proguide66
06-06-2010, 10:31 AM
While guideing north of the Alcan , we usually see a fair amount through the season ( as would anyone else spending that kinda time out there).We usually get to wack a couple few a season and have lots on video as well.
Quick story of interest,last fall had a bow hunter who had his own cam ( tv guy) ,I had my shotgun and he his bow as we went up to a hill above tree line to search for a certain bull moose. Below us was two wolves,a grey and a black laying down ( gut pile near there from previous hunt) they saw us and took off up valley and soon after a very large choc grizzly came out below us and took a bath in a pond ( all on the hunters cam)..up valley we see a good bull and 3 cows stampedeing down slope...look from where they came , heres a sow grizz and this yrs cub...well...next thing , two wolves are RUNNING straight up the slope on a dead colision with the grizzlies...couldnt believe it..they went straight for her and started trying for her cub !!!:shock: nearest tree maybe 1200 yards and they were on a rock slope where we normally kill sheep...anyway..she kept the little guy between her legs best she could except when one wolf would entice her to chase it and the other would try and backdoor her for the cub..it was pretty harsh to watch and wished my 300rum barrel wasnt split on my rifle..anyway , the two buggers decided to just flat out lay down right in front of her maybe 8 yards away as if to say " ok bitch,we got all day yer cubs gonna die"..it was a ruthless scene...it went on for maybe 45 minutes beginning to end..then they all the sudden decided to leave , lucky cub....will never stop wondering what woulda happened to the two of the bears if the pack was BIG ..

kootenayslam
06-07-2010, 08:10 AM
I got into a pack last year and got a few, the big guy scored at 17 3/8" he was a dandy, i wouldn't mind tanning him(not to hijack a thread....but.....anyone know a good place to get him tanned in BC?)

todbartell
06-07-2010, 10:13 AM
shot 3, seen 6 total in my life. Havent seen one since 2005

first one spot & stalk on a caribou hunt near Thutade in 2000, second one called in while coyote hunting in 2002, third one called in while targeting coyotes in 2005.

Rock Doctor
06-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Don't know how many I've seen, but I've taken about a dozen of them. See them quite a bit sunning themselves on hillsides, or traveling the river bottoms.

bridger
06-07-2010, 01:02 PM
all the time i have spent in the mtns we have only taken one wolf see lots but no chance for shot. only one i have been lucky enough to get a crack at was feeding on a road killed moose on the alaska highway years ago.

Drillbit
06-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Opening up the season won't cut down the population. It's pretty hard to "hunt wolves". Most of the ones that are shot are happened upon.

To knock down the population, we would have to be able to hunt them out of helicopters like they used to, and still do in the US. Fat chance that'll happen soon.

GoatGuy
06-08-2010, 02:06 PM

Just asking questions.......... :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Perfect, you can take another home with you next time you're over and they can both leave their mark.

hunter1947
06-08-2010, 06:07 PM
If I do see one up here in cranbrook it will be one dead wolf ..

boxhitch
06-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Matters not, for the possibility of a region 8 season. There won't be one til we reach the MOE target population for the area. Probably need 100, but to find 100 we will have to actually have about 300, so that is a few years away yet.

bayou
06-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Opening up the season won't cut down the population. It's pretty hard to "hunt wolves". Most of the ones that are shot are happened upon.

To knock down the population, we would have to be able to hunt them out of helicopters like they used to, and still do in the US. Fat chance that'll happen soon.

You say its pretty hard to hunt wolves, and sitkaspruce also said there one of the toughest animals to truly hunt, Im just curious as to why you guys think this.
Personally I dont think there that difficult.

hannibal
06-08-2010, 09:47 PM
I tried this year in the west Koots, got growled at and surrounded while up a tree stand. But didn't get a chance to pull the trigger.

Lady Hunter
06-08-2010, 09:51 PM
wouldn't mind getting one of those things that keep going after a friends cows

demlake
06-08-2010, 10:28 PM
I've seen a few.

Two years ago we had one on a gut-pile at work.

And last year hunting I was trying to call a moose in when several wolves answered. Spooked me a bit--but they were a creek and a couple clicks away.

Saw tracks today as well while driving one of the back-roads. One set.