PDA

View Full Version : Why The Halibut Limits Are So Restricted.

swamper
06-04-2010, 08:04 AM
As some of you may know, I manage the Petro Can Cardlock on 2 mile flat in Quesnel. As such I have the opportunity to talk to a lot of truckers about the various loads they are transporting.
Yesterday I was talking to a trucker running from Alaska to Washington state. He mentioned that he had a load of fish on and when I asked what kind of fish, he informed me that his load was entirely made up of halibut. His total load was 32,000 pounds of halibut and 15,000 pounds of ice and packaging. And this is just one of many truck loads of fish passing through.
No wonder the daily limit for sports fisherman is one. Heaven forbid that we take too many halibut away from the commercial guys.

ratherbefishin
06-04-2010, 08:51 AM
One [1] halibut per day....and you sit there watching the long liners pick up...yes,Halibut may be a ''bi catch'' allright but not a lot run the gauntlet

Mr. Dean
06-04-2010, 10:50 AM
HaliGate was never about conservation. It's about who has the larger muscles.

Chuck
06-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Commercialization = exploitation and eventual demise of resources for the benefit of a few.

Salty
06-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Alaska is a different kettle of fish

fowl language
06-06-2010, 07:13 PM
as a former commercial halibut fisherman and now an active member of the bcwf you guys are pointing the finger at the place. you need to get involved with your local bcwf as they are fighting for more % of the allocation. the commercial fleet gets 88% of the halibut as designated by the dfo. no one else. we need to fight to get it back to an open fishery not ifq,s.we could then have a bigger share of the pie.or take away 6 to 800,000 lbs out of the quota for the public,s use. the sfab has a defence for this but they need help....get involved....fowl

Johnnybear
06-06-2010, 11:24 PM
as a former commercial halibut fisherman and now an active member of the bcwf you guys are pointing the finger at the place. you need to get involved with your local bcwf as they are fighting for more % of the allocation. the commercial fleet gets 88% of the halibut as designated by the dfo. no one else. we need to fight to get it back to an open fishery not ifq,s.we could then have a bigger share of the pie.or take away 6 to 800,000 lbs out of the quota for the public,s use. the sfab has a defence for this but they need help....get involved....fowl

Great post fl. Every person who fishes for these great eating fish should get involved big time. !!!

http://www.bcwf.bc.ca/

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/consultation/fisheries-peche/smon/sfab-ccps/index-eng.htm