PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Wanderer Retrofit

Goliath
06-03-2010, 09:52 PM
I'd like to replace the shoulder straps on my Wilderness Wanderer with something better than the el cheapo OEM replacements but have been shooting blanks all over Google. Barney's Sports Chalet has a brilliant website (NOT), but am wandering if their straps would work?:confused: Does anyone have a photo of how the Barney straps are attached?

Any thoughts?

Stone Sheep Steve
06-04-2010, 04:49 AM
I've pondered the exact same thing. Pretty sure they will work but the clips may have to be sewn on the straps.
Sorry, don't have a pic of the straps.

SSS

Wild Images
06-04-2010, 06:56 AM
My wonderer did the one way to the dump, last caribou trip broke two straps and being a little on the short side it just about killed my back.
Picked up an Erblestock to try fits better and all the weight is above the hips.
The wonderer served me well but the trust was gone and so is the pack,
I replaced several of the straps over the years but something always seemed to happen at the wrong time.

troutseeker
06-04-2010, 09:01 AM
Not sure if you can make the Barney shoulder straps work, but I am interested in finding out if you manage to get it done.

My Wanderer has given me zero trouble so far. I had an Eberlestock for a year and found it okay, but prefer the WW. To each his own I guess.

Goliath
06-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks guys.

Personally the WW frame fits me like a glove and my only complaint is the crap straps. Nothing has ever "broken" on my pack...but then again...I spend a couple bucks every year on preventative maintenance. Strip the pack down; replace this strap, fix that one, whatever, and no problems in the field.

Anyways, I found a set of Gregory replacement straps this morning and they will work...simple easy to retrofit. Unfortunately they're just to thin to be comfortable under normal hunting conditions (55lb pack going in, 110lb coming out).

I'll see what I can dig up from "Mr. Barney" and will report back if anything good comes of it.

ytlogger
06-04-2010, 07:27 PM
My WW is about 12 years old at least and I've never had any trouble with it. Packed lots of moose, caribou and many week long bp trips for sheep. I must be lucky, but I'll be making a thorough exam soon. Can't you get straps from WW?

Goliath
06-05-2010, 08:52 PM
My WW is about 12 years old at least and I've never had any trouble with it. Packed lots of moose, caribou and many week long bp trips for sheep. I must be lucky, but I'll be making a thorough exam soon. Can't you get straps from WW?

Yes, WW will gladly supply new straps BUT...for years I've found them aqwardleeeeee short for my body and am in search for something cats a$$. Furthermore, their cinch strap (the one that buckles the two shoulder straps to your chest) is all wrong for me. I'm 6' and 190 lbs 37 yrs old, and in very good shape. It's as ifff my shoulder straps were made for a circus clown. :confused:

As for your thorough exam...I wouldn't be too concerned. I've had my pack for many years as well and have put 700+km on it. The frame is solid...just watch for ususal rubb points on the webbing, and repace buckles when they start to give attitude. No big deal IMO.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Yes, WW will gladly supply new straps BUT...for years I've found them aqwardleeeeee short for my body and am in search for something cats a$$. Furthermore, their cinch strap (the one that buckles the two shoulder straps to your chest) is all wrong for me. I'm 6' and 190 lbs 37 yrs old, and in very good shape. It's as ifff my shoulder straps were made for a circus clown. :confused:

As for your thorough exam...I wouldn't be too concerned. I've had my pack for many years as well and have put 700+km on it. The frame is solid...just watch for ususal rubb points on the webbing, and repace buckles when they start to give attitude. No big deal IMO.

Two major weakpoints of the pack are the cinch strap that connects the should straps across your chest. The method of how they are sewn to your shoulder straps is a joke. Almost all other packs have have a slider system that goes completely around each strap. WW sews their chest straps to "pinched" material on. I've ripped them just putting on the pack.

The bigger issue is the hipbelt and how it's anchored to the frame. I've had mine reinforced several times by WW and it keeps ripping when it least welcome. I train up to 80 lbs with my pack every yr and the training doesn't seem to cause any problems. It's the uneven terrain and "jarring" on an actual hunt where it seems to fail....where it's least welcome.
Ordering a new hibelt doesn't solve the problem. I borrowed Calvin's practically brand new hipbelt last yr and it blew apart...and that was an unsuccesful hunt where the weight was relatively light.

For me it's time to move on.

SSS

ytlogger
06-06-2010, 11:05 AM
I guess that's why there is more than one kind of pack out there.

ytlogger
06-06-2010, 11:28 AM
About the chest strap, Mine is not sewn to pinched material but seems to go right through the shoulder strap so maybe some changes in manufacturing have come along. I am now 53 and some hip issues have kept me out of the traces for the past 3 seasons but when I was packin' regularly I was 5'11 and 215 and in good shape. The chest strap never really worked for me as I found it small and kind of restrictive. I did frigg around with all of the straps quite a bit and eventually got it to where I rarely needed to use the chest strap. Bear in mind I went all of the same places with a Trapper Nelson and progressed through a couple of Camp Trails so the WW makes me feel kind of prima donna. Had a total hip replacement 6 weeks ago and I'll be trampin' the hills again in 2011

Goliath
06-06-2010, 01:06 PM
The method of how they are sewn to your shoulder straps is a joke.

The bigger issue is the hipbelt and how it's anchored to the frame. I've had mine reinforced several times by WW and it keeps ripping when it least welcome.

SSS

Bingo! The chest strap is a bad joke. And yes, the hipbelt straps are a routine maintenance item. WW needs to get their act together and finish their product better...or we'll all move on to something else. Lets face it, it's not like backpacks/packframes are some mysterious invention that require reinventing...WW just needs to "finish the thought".

Peter

ytlogger
06-06-2010, 01:48 PM
I see Leduc around from time to time. I'll try to get a rise out of him.

ytlogger
06-06-2010, 01:54 PM
An issue for me after a couple of uses was that the aluminum hoop at the rear bottom was starting to wear already from leaning back on rocks or talus slopes to glass etc.. I finally wrapped it with some heavy abs spiral loom for protecting wiring or hoses.