PDA

View Full Version : Can you hunt at night?

killman
06-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Didn't want to hijack the rabbit thread. Can you hunt at night? With out the aid of a light, of course. So if the moon was full and you were not using a firearm, can you?

doubled
06-03-2010, 12:41 PM
It is unlawful to hunt game, except migratory game birds (see #11 below), from one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise. To find out the time of sunrise and sunset, consult a local newspaper or the
following website: www.hia-iha.nrccnrc.gc.ca/sunrise_e.html (http://www.hia-iha.nrccnrc.gc.ca/sunrise_e.html)
The responsibility remains with the hunter to make the determination of
sunrise and sunset in the field based on existing terrain and circumstances.

BigBanger
06-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Im thinking no.

killman
06-03-2010, 12:47 PM
It is unlawful to hunt game, except migratory game birds (see #11 below), from one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise. To find out the time of sunrise and sunset, consult a local newspaper or the

following website: www.hia-iha.nrccnrc.gc.ca/sunrise_e.html (http://www.hia-iha.nrccnrc.gc.ca/sunrise_e.html)
The responsibility remains with the hunter to make the determination of

sunrise and sunset in the field based on existing terrain and circumstances.

Right forgot about that one. Thought it read "shoot" not "hunt":mrgreen:

Rackmastr
06-03-2010, 01:30 PM
You guys have it nice with that 'hour' of time rather than Alberta's half-hour of time. We sometimes get some days where we can see quite well and quite ethically with 45 minutes before or after light, and cant legally hunt.

The hour definatly is nice...

knockturnal
06-03-2010, 01:49 PM
I believe if you are on private property and are protecting your livlyhood you can. Such as coyotes preying on your farm animals and such.

Steeleco
06-03-2010, 01:54 PM
You guys have it nice with that 'hour' of time rather than Alberta's half-hour of time. We sometimes get some days where we can see quite well and quite ethically with 45 minutes before or after light, and cant legally hunt.

The hour definatly is nice... We've got the hour for large game but only 30 min for migratory game birds.

I believe if you are on private property and are protecting your livlyhood you can. Such as coyotes preying on your farm animals and such.

Under the pretenses you suggest, you wouldn't be considered to be hunting :wink::wink:

knockturnal
06-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Well, I suppose you could get away with "hunting" coyotes in the dark on your property with some sort of NVG or scope.

knockturnal
06-03-2010, 05:19 PM
I've always found that cougar hunting at night is much more effective then any other part of the day. They have to look after their kits during the day. Make sure they get home from school and have a full tummy and then find a sitter. Usually around 9pm the action starts and if you are lucky, it'll last till their kits need feeding again. ;)

OutWest
06-03-2010, 05:53 PM
I've always found that cougar hunting at night is much more effective then any other part of the day. They have to look after their kits during the day. Make sure they get home from school and have a full tummy and then find a sitter. Usually around 9pm the action starts and if you are lucky, it'll last till their kits need feeding again. ;)

Famous Friday nights at the El...

NorthShoreX
06-03-2010, 10:38 PM
According to the CORE book it is unlawful to hunt at night with or without a light. Chapter 3 Laws & Regulations page 50.

shadow1982
06-04-2010, 08:15 AM
You can hunt at night, but its unlawful