PDA

View Full Version : treed bear

digger dogger
06-03-2010, 11:03 AM
this a bear that i took a few weeks ago.(againt the doc's recomendations) he's about 6' with a 18.5" skull. 30 min my speed chase,(alone) so it took the dogs about 3 mins to tree him.. 3 trips to getem all to the truck.
i'm takin out the kids and and a nephew this weekend to see how they like hunting with the dogs, should be interesting. also going with my ex bro inlaw. he just got his huntin licence, and i got my nephew his for his b-day.
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/09bigboar008.jpghttp://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/09bigboar005_800x600-1.jpghttp://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/09bigboar004_800x600-1.jpg

cavebear
06-03-2010, 11:35 AM
How many dogs do you run? Congratulations on a nice looking bear. Hopefully your luck holds for the up and coming weekend with the family.:-D

fester
06-03-2010, 11:52 AM
very cool!!
I would love to do that

digger dogger
06-03-2010, 12:17 PM
c.bear i run 5, but i had 2 of my huntin partners clowns with me..

fester, it is a blast. people ask, why i hunt bear with the dogs, they say "i could go and kill a bear any day of the week". i tell them thats not the(my) point. i love to see the dogs tree, and get a good look at the quarry.http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/reg3springbears012_800x600.jpghttp://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/reg3springbears014_800x600.jpghttp://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/reg3springbears014_800x600.jpg

Jelvis
06-03-2010, 12:27 PM
That's cool man

doubled
06-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Very cool indeed

Trevorg
06-03-2010, 12:45 PM
I keep thinking about trying my dogs after bear but im not sure how to train them to not get in to close if the bear doesnt tree. Any tips?

digger dogger
06-03-2010, 12:57 PM
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/AllOldPics2688-1.jpghttp://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/allmemstckpicsmay09892.jpg
heres a few more, of the dods treeing.

Barracuda
06-03-2010, 12:57 PM
awsome job Dave .

Its all about the hounds doing what they are meant to do It truley is an adventure.

So far we have put up three this year might head out again in the next day or so for the day with the hounds .

BigBanger
06-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Thats some great stuff, thanks for sharing.

digger dogger
06-03-2010, 01:03 PM
trevorg: you have to put alot of dogs on the bears that won't tree, and hope the meat grinder on 4 legs gets overwhelmed and will tree. and then hope for the best. once they get bit or smacked good, most dogs figure out to bay at a distance or know when to get a nip on his ass, and get out quick.
thanx guys!

rocksteady
06-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Congrats...Any better pictures of just the bear, it looks like a good one...

digger dogger
06-03-2010, 02:15 PM
r.steady, those are the best ones of him. it was gettin late and i wanted to get out of the bush.. i'm gettin him rugged, i'll pull this thread when he's done. his huge ears throw him off a bit, but he's a big bear.

hunter1947
06-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Very nice pictures of the dogs as for a nice bear ,congrats http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

Darksith
06-03-2010, 05:25 PM
hunting with dogs is cheating IMO.

Barracuda
06-03-2010, 05:33 PM
how is it cheating ?
man has hunted with dogs long before he has with a rifle or bow.

It is also far more time consumed to hunt with dogs then most folks would want to do as they are a full time affaid all year rounf and not just hunting season.

OutWest
06-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Cool pics and nice bear!

blackwater moose
06-03-2010, 05:45 PM
hard to tell, but is one of your dogs a ridgeback ?

horshur
06-03-2010, 05:48 PM
tell me about the Redbone.

TyTy
06-03-2010, 06:54 PM
looks like it was a fun hunt. I would love to follow a pack to a treed animal.

I always thought it was illeagle to hunt bears with dogs?? could someone clairify this? Y/N

BCLongshot
06-03-2010, 07:23 PM
I love those damn dogs !

2 funny how they're so wound up.

chilcotin hillbilly
06-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Nice boar Digger, the hounds look good. One thing about hounding bears is ther is no shortage of action.

chilcotin hillbilly
06-03-2010, 08:56 PM

I always thought it was illeagle to hunt bears with dogs?? could someone clairify this? Y/N

It covers this in your regulations. You can run Black bears and Grizz.

Jelvis
06-03-2010, 08:59 PM
I can't believe the huge front end on that red hound dog, solid muscle.
that dog is in shape
j/P

sparkes3
06-03-2010, 09:21 PM
so do you always run a few hounds after the bear .just wondering because i only have one that i want to get started on bears .should i put him on a long tracking leash and try to keep up and hope for a quick tree or should i team up with someone that already has a few hounds to get him started first.im guessing the more the merrier so the dogs can tag team the bear.

henderson
06-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Those are some nice dogs and nice bear!!
Ive always wanted nice dogs like that.. im very jealous... :(

TyTy
06-03-2010, 09:36 PM
It covers this in your regulations. You can run Black bears and Grizz.

neat. must be fun :-D

cavebear
06-03-2010, 09:51 PM

if taking something thats easy and making it more challenging is cheating then i guess so but i find my bear hunts with the dogs are way harder and never a guarentee.

If i really need meat i just shoot if im okay but could use one i run um:-D

cavebear
06-03-2010, 09:53 PM

nope all good, you can hunt cats or bears legally with dogs. you can not hunt deer with a dog of leash. but you can use a dog thats on leash

cavebear
06-03-2010, 09:55 PM
so do you always run a few hounds after the bear .just wondering because i only have one that i want to get started on bears .should i put him on a long tracking leash and try to keep up and hope for a quick tree or should i team up with someone that already has a few hounds to get him started first.im guessing the more the merrier so the dogs can tag team the bear.

from my expeireince more dogs is better and safer a single dog may get isolated or the bear may not run. With multiple dogs the bear is not able to focus on one dog as well.

PressurePoint
06-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Hunting with dogs like that is very traditional and really cool. I would love to give it a try sometime.

sparkes3
06-04-2010, 05:23 PM
thanks cave bear i guess he stays on the leash for now.

Buck206
06-04-2010, 10:30 PM
awsome pics, good looking dogs

BlacktailStalker
06-04-2010, 10:34 PM

Run him alone or always wonder if he's worth feeding.
Done it many times. If he's a 'bear dog' it'll better him.
They arent learning anything in the back yard and they sure as hell dont learn anything on a lead.

mikey
06-05-2010, 12:11 AM

how many times have you hunted with hounds?
just curious, if you've been out at all you would know of how much work gets put into training your dogs and then even when their "trained" on a certain animal it's never a sure thing that it's gonna be treed.

cheating?.. hell no, uping the odds yes, and having fun with friends and family while doing it. thats what it's all about.

but hey, to each his own i guess...

Darksith
06-05-2010, 08:07 AM
how is it cheating ?
man has hunted with dogs long before he has with a rifle or bow.

It is also far more time consumed to hunt with dogs then most folks would want to do as they are a full time affaid all year rounf and not just hunting season.
They are pets, not rifles. And yeah if you were using a bow then maybe hunting with dogs would be OK IMO, but you got a rifle. Same with cougars, I don't agree with using dogs to tree them to make your kill easier.

They maybe work to take care of, but thats what a pet is all about. Its just a personal thing, Im not gonna tell anyone they shouldn't, but don't you think shooting something trapped in a tree is a bit like shooting a deer tied to a tree?

how many times have you hunted with hounds?
just curious, if you've been out at all you would know of how much work gets put into training your dogs and then even when their "trained" on a certain animal it's never a sure thing that it's gonna be treed.

cheating?.. hell no, uping the odds yes, and having fun with friends and family while doing it. thats what it's all about.

but hey, to each his own i guess...

The dogs never chase the wrong species? Train your dogs to fetch ducks for you then if its about the dogs and the family.

Yup, to each their own, Im not looking down my nose at you, Its just not for me. I like piece and quiet when Im in the bush, not a bunch of barking dogs.

houndogger
06-05-2010, 08:32 AM
I think getting dogs to fetch your ducks is plain lazyness & cheating! To each their own...the only true catch & release hunting! If most hounders shot out everything they treed they would need alot of friends to keep hunting thur the season. Well the ones with good dogs anyways:mrgreen:

BlacktailStalker
06-05-2010, 09:10 AM
[quote=Darksith;687492]They are pets, not rifles. And yeah if you were using a bow then maybe hunting with dogs would be OK IMO, but you got a rifle. Are you using a bow for ducks when they come in to your cheating little decoy or when you're sitting on cultivated farm fields ? You should just sit there naturally waiting for ducks to come in to range or maybe not be solazy and learn their flight patterns to within shotgun range Same with cougars, I don't agree with using dogs to tree them to make your kill easier. Swim out and retrieve your own ducks?

They maybe work to take care of, but thats what a pet is all about. Its just a personal thing, Im not gonna tell anyone they shouldn't You pretty much already did, but don't you think shooting something trapped in a tree is a bit like shooting a deer tied to a tree? Or like shooting ducks over food/decoys and using a dog to get them because you cant.

The dogs never chase the wrong species? Yeah they do, a handful of times and then its taken care of. Train your dogs to fetch ducks for you then if its about the dogs and the family. If it means getting your son in the woods and learning about animals he might not see otherwards and that its not about "limiting out" which is the term ALL too often used with waterfowl, then yeah it is about family as well as that success isnt measured in dead numbers.

Yup, to each their own, Im not looking down my nose at you, Its just not for me. I like piece and quiet when Im in the bush, not a bunch of barking dogs. Imagine what this site would be if everybody had to chirp off about what isnt for them [quote]

mikey
06-05-2010, 09:30 AM
"hunting with dogs is cheating imo" to me thats a very unedjucated statement to make, whats the point in posting if thats all you have to say about somone else's hunt.

whatever though, go have your piece and quiet and we'll just keep cheating...

anyway , nice bear you guys got and good looking dogs. digger dogger
looks like you guys had a fun day.

Darksith
06-06-2010, 10:36 AM
blacktail...learn to use the quote properly! I can understand the excitement of the chase using dogs. Thats awesome and Im sure a great adrenaline rush and good exercise. Its just shooting something trapped in a tree, not really my cup of tea. I never said don't do it, I just said that its not something I would do. Flame me all you like, I could care less. Im all about the stalk. And yeah this forum is for everyone to exchange ideas, info, and stories, if everyone didn't do it, it would be a pretty boring place. Thats all I did. And no I don't use dogs for any aspect of hunting.

Barracuda
06-06-2010, 11:12 AM
actually Sith (AE LOL!) they are tools and pets .

They perform a task and if they could not i would not own them which is no diffent then any other working dog like a BC or an airport beagle.

sparkes3 - you gonna want some tracking gear before you drop your dog but get it started .

Ddog
06-06-2010, 12:37 PM
instead of hijacking the thread start a new one, nice big bear by the way.

digger dogger
06-06-2010, 11:59 PM
thanx for the comments guys.(not sure if someone has jels password cause i can under stand him lol) ya he's a big strong dog jel lol. i have a few more pics from this weekend with the kids. i thought it would be interesting and it was..the kids were awesome, and got too hike a little of they're asses of. i'll respond to some of the stuff on here.
blk water moose; if it's the red colored dog he's a redbone, or along time ago they were called saddle backs.

horsur; i bought mav from mike, ex bc guide, he's a good hot track dog.
as redbones go he's the classic example,"hot nose and soft feet".
if the track is fresh he's a maniac and runs fast, to fast some times.. on track he opens up here and there, when he's real close he yelps alittle more, when he's at the tree he a total freak, he's very hard on the tree.
i have to condition his feet a couple weeks before hunt season, and road him so his feet don't fall apart.. the roading also help him get rid of some of his energy so he doesn't KEEP overrunning the f'n track. lol
hillbilly; lots of action is right. it's a blast that eveyone should try.. the kids were speechless for only a minute at they're first tree..

sparkes3 it can be done but find someone with hounds and jump aboard.. way easier, and it's tough as hell to keep up with the dogs on a leash..

darksith; hunting with dogs is way harder than spot and stalk. the challenge is getting to the tree not nessaserally,(whoops can't spell anymore, and my grammer has always been awful) shooting a fish in a barrell. cheating? no way!
picture this. F.Dude and i are bombing down a fsr road :-) i don't know him just using his name for fun. we see a bear off in the distance, the dogs can't smell the bear cause the wind is blowing the wrong way. i get out with 2 dogs and run as fast as i can to where the bear was,get the first 2 started.
when they get the scent, i would yell to F. dude to let the others out and call them to the track.. then go back to the truck and grab a survival bag, gun, park truck..then follow the sound of the dogs, if you can hear them.. if not hike to nearest highest ridge or go over the top of the hill, mountain, ect, and hope they are within earshot. if not keep hiking till ya hear something or head to the truck. to come back to the truck at night is not all that uncommen. i've seen a few guys put they're manties on hunting with the dogs.. to each they're own, and if we were all the same that would'nt be any fun. :-)http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/kids1sttree019.jpghttp://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/kids1sttree039.jpghttp://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/kids1sttree015.jpg

digger dogger
06-07-2010, 12:05 AM
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/kids1sttree005.jpghttp://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/kids1sttree007.jpghttp://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/kids1sttree004.jpg

chilcotin hillbilly
06-07-2010, 06:53 AM
Looks like another good weekend. Always fun with the kids. Do you use a strike dog at all or are you usually releasing dogs as you just described. That will take bear hunting to the next level as you never know what you will have in the tree when you get there. Always lots of fun.

digger dogger
06-07-2010, 08:02 AM
i have a dog that strikes, but if they all don't strike when i stop, i'll let the MAN out, if it's hot he bails and i know it's on. if he shits or pisses right away i know he's being a spoiled brat. then i'll road him for a couple miles to settle him down. the bear we got this weekend was off a strike. i find most strikes are a long chase, not always but some times. we chanced it with the kids and it worked out quite well.

Spokerider
06-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Digger.
Great pics, thanks for sharing. Nice to see the kids involved too. Good to see the hounds gettin er done.

On another note......if or when you grow tired of receiving negative comments regarding hounds and hunting from some of the more unforgiving members on HBC, there are sites dedicated to houndsmen and their pursuits of which you can post your hunts and thoughts . And oh yeah, disagreements still ensue on the hound forums, but at least you`ll not be subjected to comments about the likes of..............cheating, lol.
I quit engaging such such posters here on HBC long ago, knowing full well I was not going to broaden their shallow appreciation of hounding. Most of the dog guys on here are on the hound-dedicated forums also.

BiG Boar
03-03-2011, 01:19 AM
Wow, I was a tad dark there last night.

digger dogger
03-04-2011, 04:30 PM
r.steady, those are the best ones of him. it was gettin late and i wanted to get out of the bush.. i'm gettin him rugged, i'll pull this thread when he's done. his huge ears throw him off a bit, but he's a big bear.

Here he is rocksteady..
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/bearrug005.jpghttp://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/bearrug001.jpg