PDA

View Full Version : Tunkwa lake

nolan-sawka
06-02-2010, 08:52 PM
anyone hunt up in that area? hows the fishing?

bsa30-06
06-02-2010, 09:06 PM
http://www.tunkwalakeresort.com/webcam.php

take a look here.

cloverphil
06-02-2010, 09:11 PM
its a nice resort, haven't tried fishing, lots of hunting spots nearby though

Big Lew
06-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Fishing can be very good with sizeable specimens but can be muddy tasting when the water warms. Gets a bit crowded as well. There are a lot of hunters chasing deminishing deer, grouse, and bear populations. Still a few big bucks in the rough broken terrain at the top of Mt. Fehr well away from the travelled roads. Watch for park boundaries.

kishman
06-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Pretty good 'yote hunting up in that area, fishin's good early in the season but tends to slow down pretty quick once the weather heats up. Good luck!

-km

4 point
06-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Limited out there last trip up a couple weeks ago. Usually real good in spring and tapers off with summer water temps rising and fish don' t taste as good (muddy). Very busy area in fall for hunting for sure.

wunderboy
06-03-2010, 09:58 AM
I heard tunkwa was hit real bad by pinebeatle. I haven't been there for a while but I have been to lac le juene and it was gutted.

Darksith
06-03-2010, 05:23 PM
I heard tunkwa was hit real bad by pinebeatle. I haven't been there for a while but I have been to lac le juene and it was gutted.
You from the coast? All of BC has been gutted from the pine beetle.

yukon john
06-03-2010, 06:17 PM
terrible hunting only crows and such

Big Lew
06-03-2010, 08:52 PM
If you are coming through from the big mine, as soon as you hit the powerline road, you should be able to look down into the Tunkwa lake basin. It is so depressing, it will make you cry. There is nothing but red-brown trees. I first visited Tunkwa lake with my father and brothers 49 years ago. At that time it was a beautiful wilderness with tremendous fishing, literally thousands apon thousands of ducks and geese in the fall, healthy populations of mule deer, grouse everywhere, and home to a large herd of the original wild horses. If you look closely, and know what to look for, there are still some pieces of the old roads and trails, but all the logging and mine exploration along with droves and droves of tourists have decimated the area so bad, it doesn't really matter if the trees are dead....for me, the area is dead anyway.

wunderboy
06-03-2010, 09:16 PM
You from the coast? All of BC has been gutted from the pine beetle.
North Okanagan and Shuswap has been mostly untouched. There is some but not close to how lac le juene

Chuck
06-03-2010, 09:44 PM
If you are coming through from the big mine, as soon as you hit the powerline road, you should be able to look down into the Tunkwa lake basin. It is so depressing, it will make you cry. There is nothing but red-brown trees. I first visited Tunkwa lake with my father and brothers 49 years ago. At that time it was a beautiful wilderness with tremendous fishing, literally thousands apon thousands of ducks and geese in the fall, healthy populations of mule deer, grouse everywhere, and home to a large herd of the original wild horses. If you look closely, and know what to look for, there are still some pieces of the old roads and trails, but all the logging and mine exploration along with droves and droves of tourists have decimated the area so bad, it doesn't really matter if the trees are dead....for me, the area is dead anyway.

Geez, BL that's a terrible story to tell. Only because I too have experienced just that sort of ruination. My son actually thinks I'm lying when I tell him of how it used to be around here. Now you can't even pull over for a pee without almost getting hit by a speeding vehicle. I haven't even seen a porcupine in maybe thirty years now.

4 point
06-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Tunkwa and Lac le Jeune Lakes both have some great fishing. And as I live close to both of them I don't camp there anymore but I have the memories of when the tress were all there.