PDA

View Full Version : 0'9 Grizzly trip.

Freshly Snipes
06-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Last year i was lucky enough to pull my first grizzly tag for a secret location lol. I was also lucky enough to have a few good buddies to tag along in hopes of seeing one of these true beauties.We had our plan of attack and we headed out for a 8 hour journey to the area we had picked.Just get off the "ferry" and not long past there we reach the fsr.

Not long down the first road we hit the first cutblock my friends drive right by and we arefollowing them and look over and there one is, It's a fricken Grizzly couldn't believe it. I hop out of the truck and raise the might 300 win mag i have the bear in my sights, But i don't shoot him.The shot wasn't right he is moving up and away from me and the sun was right in my eyes making it tuff to see and he wasn't a monster so i tell the guy's lets go set up camp and we can come back later on hoping we didnt spoke the bear to much. This was the first grizzly sighting for 3 out of the 4 of us and even thou we didnt kill him the trip was made for us in just seeing one of these ture beasts. We set up camp in a hurry all of us stoked on the grizzly bear sighting and we take a much need power nap. knowing we are in a good area, We awake with high intensions on seeing some bears for the evening. We split up in two groups and go scout out there area we are to call home for the next week.

The night brings even higher hopes with tons of sign and another group of hunters who had taken 2 nice black bear from the area that night. They had no Grizzly tag and han't seen one but told us a area to try out.The next morning and they head home and we head out in search for some bears. Me and "Popove" head out in one direction the other two friends head another way. The morning brings a bunch more sign but no bears sightings a little dissapointed we have a lunch and stay out for the rest of the day searching every road around learning the area. Still no bears being sighted by the night we all plan our attacks for the morning and party it up abit.

We all wake up late hung over from the night before wondering why we do that but still it's part of the fun.We all have a late breakfast and head out. Me and popove head to the main paved road and dicide to head somewhere else this proved to be a good idea. Not only more sign but greener then green down low, we couldnt belive it and the next gravel road we hit make it a few minutes up the road and there's a nice black bear heading for the timber on the side of the road. We got a little excited and walked up there fast only to push the bear into the timber so we head back to the truck and keep on driving for probably 15 minutes or so until the road ended. So we turned back around and heading out we see the bear back on the road only this time he dosent know we are there. Popove hopes out first and i give him my gun cause his was in the back seat. The bear is maybe 60yds away and popove has a good rest. He shoots and missed right over top of him. This was my fault as much as his as i forgot to tell him to aim low cause i sight my gun in at 200 yds and the bear was down hill from us. But we learn from ever mistake we make. We look around and make sure there is no blood and head back on our way. We decide to stop by camp for lunch and a nap and then head back out for the evening hunt. The other two are at camp and we go over what happened putting a bit of a downer on things. That night luck had changed, with me and popove spotting a nice bear about 500yds away on the road. We plan our stalk with me being the shooter. We make it all the way up the hill and come around the corner to the bear feeding on the side of the raod not more then 50yds away. He is a nice size black bear and my biggest so i put the crosshairs behind the should and let him have one. Dropped him like a sack of potatoes and we let out a few woohooos then the bear starts to wheel barrow for the other side of the road and it was a steep fall so i put another in him but hit him back and crushed his lower back. sending the bear cart wheeling up and over the bank luckily he was stopped by a tree only 50yds away. That 50yds was brutaly tuff
but worth it .A few quick pics and then head back to camp full of smiles.

Back at camp we skin the bear out in wait or the other two guys. They arrive back at camp saying they had seen a monster bear right before dark from a far ways away not sure if it was a big black or a grizz. Few more bears to be had that night.

The next day we head out again to try another area and it proves to be successful again. With popove gettting a little payback and gettingone of his nicest bears yet. Same thing bear on the road satlk up and bang good solid neck shot and bear didn't move again. we head to camp and skin out his bear and the other two are there with a few small bears being sited we dicide to change partners and head out for the afternoon. Me and my buddy hop on the quad and take off from camp and not 2 minutes down the road come around the corner and there they are. Two monsters running down the road in front of us. I couldnt believe it two silver grizzly's running away from us. Me being dumb founded by this i only think sow and cub. By the time the hit the bush it's too late. It was a monster boar and a sow easily both bigger then the one from the first day. The other two guys show up behind us to see the dust clouds and we tell them what happened. So we head down the road just shaking our head and i spot somthing on the road 3 to 400yds away. We stop and get off the quads and i look threw my scope and see the biggest blackie i have ever seen. So me and my rookie hunting partner head down the side of the road being super quite but i could tell he was getting nervous it was his first shot at a big game animal and it was a monster. The bear knew somthing was up and we stopped about 150 from it and i told him it was time to shoot. The beast was heading slowly for the side of the road and he tells me he is ready to shoot. Bang the bear hi tails it and i knew right away he missed. I still kick myself in the ass over that one absoultly a monster. We all spend time looking and found no blood. So back on the quad we go and head to where we had seen the grizz but no sign of them again.

Later that night the other two back into camp and u know if they r backing into camp they conected. Sure enough popove had guided our good buddy into a real nice boar about the same length as mine but twice the weight and just a beauty black bear. So that bear two got skinned and alot more beers to be had. The next day me and the rookie head out in my truck to try and find him alittle easier bear for him since it was his first he wasn't two picky. The next spot we try was a dud road ended right away so head back to one of the roads from earlier and right away there a bear in the middle small one but one none the less. He hops out and blasted it where he stood but didn't go down and he needed a helper when we go to him on the side of the road. Gut him out quick and keep on looking for another bear. Sure enough we see a few more bears but none woth me filling my second tag. The night before popove had stocked up on a nice blonde/brown blackie but passed on him. I however didn't and plugged him later that night in the same spot a quick head shot at 25yds put him down for the count. Overall a great trip and a great memory for all of us to have and we still have sausage from that trip. But we have had lots of more hunts and lots more to come.i'll post pics if i can get a hand with them. And post up our other hunts since then soon lots of pics to be shared we all love pic's.

Freshly Snipes.

BiG Boar
06-02-2010, 01:32 PM
TTIUWP
good story though

Jelvis
06-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Hey Fresh .... Need some photo's lol.

Brett
06-02-2010, 03:03 PM
nice name! PICS!

NorthShoreX
06-02-2010, 10:35 PM
So you managed to get your first Grizzly tag but only shot Black Bears?

behemoth
06-02-2010, 10:57 PM
So you managed to get your first Grizzly tag but only shot Black Bears?
and he shared it...comon lighten up

NorthShoreX
06-02-2010, 11:17 PM
I was just wondering why he wouldn't put more effort into getting his first Grizzly, after being so lucky in getting a tag in the first place. That's all, nothing more.

BCbillies
06-03-2010, 12:37 AM
I was just wondering why he wouldn't put more effort into getting his first Grizzly, after being so lucky in getting a tag in the first place. That's all, nothing more.

Freshy said it best "But we learn from ever mistake we make"! Took many of us four draws before we brought home our first grizz . . . he's got a couple more tags to burn before the celebration begins. Sounds like Freshy and the boys are all dialed in with the road hunting. :wink: BTW - I enjoyed the read, just disappointed with the lack of photos!

BigBanger
06-03-2010, 12:40 AM
Hey freshy, lets see some pictures, lots!!!