PDA

View Full Version : going to Namibia

bridger
06-02-2010, 04:59 AM
bought a trip to Namibia at the bcwf fundraiser for my wife and I. when she looked at the website the first thing she said was " I am going to need a new gun" gotta love her!!

kennyj
06-02-2010, 05:04 AM
Congratulations bridger. Sounds like a blast.
kenny

buckguy
06-02-2010, 06:10 AM
Congrtas, it will be an amazing trip. That's a great women, not many like that. Have fun and take lots of pics.

BiG Boar
06-02-2010, 06:37 AM
Namibia was really awsome! What animals are available on your hunt?

bridger
06-02-2010, 06:59 AM
Namibia was really awsome! What animals are available on your hunt?

most of the plains game but this company specializes in eland and kudu which are on top of my list. also plan on taking an gemsbock, and a blesbuck, wanda plans on a kudu and eland

boxhitch
06-02-2010, 07:02 AM
If thats the package George R. has promoted in the past, I looked at that but couldn't make it.
Are you taking in the park tour also ?

bridger
06-02-2010, 07:10 AM
yes we are going to take a tour of kruger national park after we finish our hunt. seems a shame to go all that way and not take it in. this hunt was promoted by black gold fishing lodge from the island. they auctioned off three hunts at the fed convention. i wish if would have bought the 10 day package instead of the five day as we upgraded to the 10 day anyway

Steeleco
06-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Bigbore14 set the standard for reporting African tips just last year, I hope you and the Mrs have as good a time as Dave and Cory did. :wink::wink:

BCHunterFSJ
06-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Way to go Rich and Wanda! I guess I'll have to come by the tack shop to get some more details...
When are you going? And Kruger National Park is awesome!!

waistdeep
06-07-2010, 09:00 PM
I want to book that trip next year. Looking forward to your reports :)

Gateholio
06-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Always wanted to go to Namibia, gotta get off my ass and do it...Have fun!:-D

Kody94
06-08-2010, 07:37 AM
WTG Bridger! I am sure you will have a great time. As you know there are getting to be quite a few of us that have been over, so I am sure you can get lots of advice on here. Feel free to drop me an e-mail or PM if you are looking for any answers though.

Cheers
4Ster

Kody94
06-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Always wanted to go to Namibia, gotta get off my ass and do it

Yes, you do!

Mik
06-08-2010, 10:55 AM
A Dream Hunt, wishing you all the best, when are you going?

Kudu
06-08-2010, 04:03 PM
bought a trip to Namibia at the bcwf fundraiser for my wife and I. when she looked at the website the first thing she said was " I am going to need a new gun" gotta love her!!

It sure sounds like fun, when are you planing to go? Not February I trust. with any luck you will be hunting on the Caprivi strip - and if so - take a fly rod and throw some chrome at the tigers, bloody brilliant I tell you.

Be sure to take in the Cape, and if you have time - fly to Port Elizabeth, just up the road towards Grahams town you have Shamwari and the Addo Elephant park in close proximity, for my money - two of the best wildlife spots in Southern Africa. These are out of the malaria belt BTW - Kruger is not, so if going north to Kruger be sure to take the necessary meds and sleep under a net! I have had malaria, trust me you don't want to go there.

If you are targeting Plains game - what rifle do you have in mind?

I always suggest that overseas hunters try and take something that is also local, if you get my drift, so calibre wise the decisions are not that tough.

Just bear in mind that Namibia was a Old German colony - so things like the 9.3 x 62, 7 x 57 Mauser and the 7 x 64 Brenneke are plentiful - all are great bush-veld cartridges that is why they survived Africa..

Anyhow, as you can guess I'm an expat, If I can help with any info or whatever feel free to give me shout.

BTW - I have a copy of Memories of a Game Ranger - by H Wolhuter, which you may lend - if you promise to return it once you have read it - this will really give you a fantastic insight into Kruger - Harry was the first warden appointed in the Kruger Park, it is an amazing tale.

mfarrally
06-08-2010, 04:20 PM
If your headed to kruger think about going into Sabi Sands. It is a park conected with Kruger well known for thier leopard. I stayed at Dhumma lodge. really nice place. And the lodge called Sabi Sabi earth lodge is amazing. I worked in South africa on a game reserve so feel free to PM me with any questions

Kudu
06-08-2010, 05:00 PM
If your headed to kruger think about going into Sabi Sands. It is a park conected with Kruger well known for thier leopard. I stayed at Dhumma lodge. really nice place. And the lodge called Sabi Sabi earth lodge is amazing. I worked in South africa on a game reserve so feel free to PM me with any questions

I agree with mfarrally, Sabi Sands is brilliant - a bit expensive - but awesome. actually any of those places would be great - I always tell people I know who are going out there - the smaller lesser known places are great as the folk don't have the traffic of the bigger parks so they really make your visit enjoyable.

Another great place to visit is Hluhluwe Umfalozi in Zululand, I have yet to hear anyone speak poorly about their visit to this park, the Fact that My family has been involved there in operation Rhino since the sixties is neither here nor there - the only problem with it is its distance from Durban.

bridger
06-10-2010, 10:27 PM
thanks for the advice and encouragement guys. this is going to be a great time. Hunting and visiting Africa has always been a dream of ours. To think we are actually going is a bit overwhelming for an old sheep hunter that seldom gets as far from home as vancouver. will be asking for lots of advice in the coming months. we are hoping to go mid may to early june. My friends that have hunted and visited Africa can't wait to go back and I am sure we will be the same. One thing that amazes me is how economical hunting in Africa is compared to Canada once you get by the airfare. For the price of a guided stone sheep hunt you can have a truly great hunt in africa. thanks again bridger

boxhitch
06-10-2010, 11:09 PM
For the price of a guided stone sheep hunt you can have a truly great hunt in africa.G/Os say that Africa is the greatest competition to booking sheep hunts. Any wonder they support Grand Slam so much ? or any org. with a hit list.

David Heitsman
06-11-2010, 11:38 AM
On an animal per dollar basis, you can't beat RSA, Namib, Zim or Botswana.
Now Tanzania is a different story.

Kody94
06-11-2010, 12:12 PM
On an animal per dollar basis, you can't beat RSA, Namib, Zim or Botswana.
Now Tanzania is a different story.

Tanzania is not cheap, but a 10 day 2 buffalo hunt is still WAY cheaper than a stone sheep hunt.

BiG Boar
06-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Tanzania is not cheap, but a 10 day 2 buffalo hunt is still WAY cheaper than a stone sheep hunt.

unless youre a BC resident. Even with a guide its still cheaper than Tanz.

Kody94
06-11-2010, 12:45 PM
unless youre a BC resident. Even with a guide its still cheaper than Tanz.

I was referring back to the original remarks about Africa being best bang for your buck in an outfitted hunt....comparing a fully guided hunt to hunting as a resident is apples and oranges. :)

Maxx
06-14-2010, 04:51 AM
congrats Bridger, be sure to have a meal at Joe's Beer house, it WELL worth it! Have a great time!