PDA

View Full Version : Pal......

Leaseman
04-04-2006, 02:10 PM
I have been waiting for my new PAL for approx 4 months....let it run out by mistake and had to redo the test....still waiting....a buddy of mine sent in his renewal in Dec, 2 months before his birthday and is still waiting.... has anyone else had these long waits???...and before you ask, no we have not been arrested, DWI etc...etc...addresses have not changed or maritial status, jobs.....nothing, everything is the same....waiting to buy a rifle for my son to use this season and time is trickling by....

Mike the frustrated!!!

MB_Boy
04-04-2006, 02:26 PM
Moosefinder....you have a PM.

bighornbob
04-04-2006, 02:35 PM
I just reapplied for mine. Mine expires at of June so that gives them 3 months. Hope that is enough time.

BHB

shortroot
04-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Mine expires on Friday, sent my renewal in Mid-March. I see they have charged my VISA the $80, so I assume :roll: that they have processed and are sending me my new PAL.

I am hunting on the 24th regardless of whether or not I have my new card, I will be happy to explain my situation to any CO or RCMP officer. Well, they have my money sir/miss, so until I receive my PAL I am hunting in the supervision of my friend with a valid PAL. If they want to take my rifle then they can, and then they can see me in court.

They should be able to enter your name into their CPU and see that your A.O.K. without the need to provide a card. We have spent over a billion dollars on a fancy registry to provide law enforcement with this access have we not?:oops: :confused:

I was warned that it will take a while as well, but when they processed the fee for my PAL then I knew that my application had been processed, crossing my fingers in hopes it will come soon, so I won't have to walk a thin line between right and what Ottawa percieves to be illegal violent gun crime (lawfully hunting).

They shipped me a firearms transfer certificate in less than 2 working days from the time I purchased my rifle last week. I can't see why renewing a PAL should be any different.

Steeleco
04-04-2006, 03:09 PM
Call them and start a weekly "Hi it's me campain" It works, honest!!!

Gunner
04-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Moosefinder,they billed my Mastercard,Jan.4th,I'm still waiting for my PAL renewal!Just got the number for the CFO,I'll be dropping him a line tomorrow,and every 3 days after that!It is ridiculous that they are so inconsitent.My wife got her renewal in 7 weeks.Cheers,Gunner.:???:

Barracuda
04-04-2006, 04:18 PM
you do not have to redo the firearms test as far as i know . It will all be on record that you have completed a safety course . Did you only have a pol before?

Walksalot
04-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Mine is up in July, where do i apply?

04-04-2006, 04:22 PM
My wife's application was received Dec 12th 2005.........still waiting! Have been phoning weekly now, and it appears the hold up is here in BC with the firearms officer or what ever. Best part is you have to ph back east to be transferred out here, only to talk to an answering machine...our tax dollars hard at work!

CanAm500
04-04-2006, 04:34 PM
The system doesnt work. We got stopped at a roadside check point with our .22's in the back. One of the officers ran my dads PAL number as well as the .22's serial number. It took them 30 minutes to run the numbers and get back to the officer in the field.

Dano
04-04-2006, 05:08 PM
I would appreciate it if you would post the phone#. I'm waiting ofr mine too......
Dano

Duner
04-04-2006, 05:12 PM
I sent PAl forms in for the first time on Jan. 1 and I got it back around Feb. 15, the wait wasn't long for me. I agree that they are very inconsistant and there is no telling how long it will be.

Gunner
04-04-2006, 05:46 PM
The info I have is:Chief Firearms Officer(BC),#400,10470 152 ST.,Surrey,BC. 1-800-731-4000,EXT.9530,FAX# 604-586-2572.I hope this is of some help.I know i'll be faxing him plenty!:mad: Cheers!:) Gunner.

Joe89
04-04-2006, 05:55 PM
I sent mine in on Oct 19,2005, took me until Mid Febuary before I got it, you can check the status of your application here.

https://secure.ecom.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/eCFRSInternet/editLicenceQueryChoice.do?language=English

and I believe there is links to phone numbers also

BlacktailStalker
04-04-2006, 06:10 PM
I sent mine in for renewal in Nov, yet to get it back. I called the chief firearms officer last week and he had just looked at it for the first time after ai left my message. They are very unorganized obviously.

Red Foreman
04-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Took me six months to get my pal.2 billion well spent,according to the liberals.

superchase
04-05-2006, 09:38 AM
For those of you who have let your PAL expire...shame on you...you can go to http://members.shaw.ca/fores
There are applications you can download from there.

superchase
04-05-2006, 10:06 AM
For those of you that are waiting for your PAL's keep bugging the firearms center. If you need forms...you can download them at http://members.shaw.ca/fores in the forms link.

lakelander
04-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Mine took 3 months and that was after I called them several times - they claimed that it somehow got stuck in the verifications file and had to get it released which took about 2 minutes! So if I hadn't called it would still be sitting somewhere.

By the way, when my new PAL arrived, there was a paper document with exactly the same info on it as the PAL and the instruction was that you must have both on you when carrying firearms. How dumb is that !!! they have the same info on it...ughhhh.

Anybody else see that?

timber
04-05-2006, 08:44 PM
when do you think steven harper will dump this system

Foxer
04-05-2006, 08:56 PM

Depends. He's got two choices.

1 - the death of a thousand cuts.

He can deny funding to the point where it's impossible to run the reigstry, and then announce an amnesty for all gun owners except pistols and machine guns.

The advantage is there's no vote necessary. He can just do it - unless the opposition parties want to bring him down on his budget (which there's zero chance of) it will work.

The disadvantage - technically the law is still on the books, just 'not in force'.

Or choice number 2 - he rolls the dice and puts a vote before the parliment to kill it.

Advantage - it wipes the law out altogether and allows him to dismantle the hardware and wipe the drives so to speak.

Disadvantage - if the opposition votes it down, and they can easily and have said they would, it would be VERY hard for him to wipe it out at all. Risky, unless he can come up with a way to force them to vote the way he wants which is POSSIBLE.

Depending on which one he goes for, it could be weeks or a month or two. The first option is the fastest. The second has to wait for some very favorable circumstances - the AG's report, and possibly a second report they're asking for... time to shmooze with the other parties and put together a 'package' vote they can't turn down, etc.

reach
04-06-2006, 01:47 AM
Getting rid of the PAL system was never on the table, was it? I thought they only promised to get rid of the long gun registry.

Personally I'm in favour of continuing with the current firearms license system - just not the registry.

Leaseman
04-06-2006, 07:01 AM
I agree with you Reach...but they should at least get things in order and moving smoothly....

04-06-2006, 07:22 AM
Getting rid of the PAL system was never on the table, was it?

No it wasn't, like you say, it was only the registry component for long arms.
l agree with the safety courses......but once trained in the use of firearms, l think it should be wide open. The hand gun registry is almost as much of a joke as the long arm, and besides, it all comes down to who wants to obey the law. Criminals won't register, and the law abiding aren't part of the problem, so how can registering any of their firearms be part of any safety solution?
Harper could opt for a national referendum on the issue. I think a lot of Canadians are better informed and aren't as naive now as they were when the liberals first introduce the black hole known as C-68.

Fred
04-06-2006, 08:21 AM
Both the handgun registry and the FAC/PAL system have proved to be useless. If I were in charge I would institute a Firearms Proficiency Certificate (FPC). It would be layered for hand guns and long arms. Once passed one could purchase anything one wanted with merely the showing of this certificate in card form. It would be mandatory and paid for by the user, to the tester, not to the govt.(who would issue the cards to the testers for filling,signing and releaseing).
This idea should be expanded upon though by people smarter than me! :redface: Fred

Foxer
04-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Getting rid of the PAL system was never on the table, was it?

Well - it is, but not as a priority necessarily this go round.

If I were in charge I would institute a Firearms Proficiency Certificate (FPC). It would be layered for hand guns and long arms. Once passed one could purchase anything one wanted with merely the showing of this certificate in card form.

This is what they're proposing to move towards. specific details are still a little sketchy.

bighornbob
04-07-2006, 08:07 AM
Was just talking yesterday to a coworker about the PAL and everything here. She just applied 1 month ago for her PAL (restricted and non). She just took the course and applied. She was worried that she may have made some mistakes about when her divorce was final. I told her her to wait a month and phone and find out the status.

Well she just walked in with a shiney new PAL card. We tried to remember exactly when she took the course but cant but she knows that it was in March for sure. It is more likely the first week so that is a 1 month turn around including mail there and back.

I hope this is a sign that they are getting things turned around out east.

BHB

longhairmtnman
04-09-2006, 04:45 PM
I just checked the processing date for my pal/restricted application, and it said march 20th. So is it 45 days from then? I have a couple of sweet rifle deals waiting on the reception of this tiny little piece of paper. It couldn't come soon enough. :smile:

ryanb
04-09-2006, 04:55 PM
One thing to note to those people that have noticed their credit cards have been debited for the fees.

Any time you are charged a fee in relation to anything at the CFC, be it licensing or wilderness carry permit, or whatever, the VERY first thing they do is open your mail, charge you visa, then chuck the paper back into a pile to be processed weeks or months later.

Of course, its all about the money right? err, I mean safety right?

death-junky
04-10-2006, 07:02 AM
im at the 90+ day mark...... for my pal and the sad part is i know where it is the BC CFO is just not prossesing it so im giving him a call after school....
ttyal
Riley

Dirty
04-10-2006, 08:35 AM
I was just curious whether the people who are waiting for their PAL's applied for the restricted or non restricted. I just want to see if there is any difference in the waiting period for each type of license.

cowboy-up69
04-10-2006, 11:17 AM
I just phoned them *******s and they said that it hasnt even began processing. I sent it about a month ago, and its not in their records!:mad: :mad:

shortroot
04-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Left a message with the CFO (BC) regarding my PAL. They phoned back within a day and said minimum 28 day hold period for all applications. I explained to them my situation at the end of the month and the kind lady sent an e-mail to the CFC to try and get my renewal processed. She said to call back next week and see if it had been sent yet. It was good service, now to see if things work out:???:

Gunner
04-10-2006, 12:02 PM
The CFC recieved my PAL renewal application Jan 4th;today I phoned the CFO's office.They told me it was held up because my PAL is for restricted and non-restricted firearms,but they do not show any restricted guns registered to me!That's because I don't have any!I was in the gun business for many years,and required a restricted PAL.Once they figured out that I didn't have any Uzi's in my basement,the nice lady said she could clear my application,and it would be effective tomorrow!I should receive my card within two weeks.What a joke!All I can say is that anyone waiting over 2 months,should phone 1-800-731-4000,Ext.9530.(CFO's office).Good Luck!:!: Gunner

04-11-2006, 06:56 PM
I don't know whether it's good or bad Gunner......my wife finally got through on that number you posted, the gal processed it while she waited on the ph and said.........be there in 2 weeks!!!:mrgreen: Will see if it makes it...

quadrakid
04-11-2006, 07:11 PM
just went threw the hoops to get a pal,had to replace stolen rifle and only had pol.check the gov web site ,do a search for canadian firearms centre, will allow you to see the state of your application. they say it should be done in 45 days. of course that did not happen, i finally phoned them and a women in miramichi gave me number for bc firearms office. they won,t answer but you can leave a message,i did and lo and behold my application was approved very next day, good luck.

Gunner
04-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Yeah,I know 416,we'll see if it comes through.I've got rifles to sight,so I'm off to the Salmon Arm range tomorrow,card or no card.She said it was in effect today!Good luck on your wife's card.Keep me posted!Cheers,Gunner.:)

Mulie_Hunter
04-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Got mine less than a month after I turned 18, Its the government there is no rhyme or reason for what happens.

cowboy-up69
04-18-2006, 10:45 PM
So I called the firearms center today, and they said mines in the mail 2morrow! Now if they are bullshittin or not...Who knows...but if they arnt, its funny cause my moms bf and a buddy of mine sent theirs in a month before me and havent gotten theres yet!

cowboy-up69
05-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Well I got my PAL today in the mail, after 6 weeks, it came! Im soo excited now I can head out and look for me a bear! Or two! ;)

Grumpa Joe
05-02-2006, 03:41 PM
I sent my application for a non-restricted PAL on March 8, they received it on March 13 and I got my card on April 21 (including the 12 days it took to get here from NB). So it took 44 days in total from time sent to receipt. Since then I have gone on a wild spending spree!:grin: Good luck to all those still waiting.

Joe

FlyingHigh
05-02-2006, 06:27 PM
geez, after all the bs you guys are going through i might just forget about the PAL altogether. screw it, the gov. can't have my money for their bs "programs". I have my CORE, so I'm gonna hunt with my bow. It may take longer, be more work and I may not bag anything this season but at least i won't have to put up with all this bs. Besides, I can't even afford a gun right now anyway. Just my two bits.

Foxer
05-02-2006, 08:07 PM
geez, after all the bs you guys are going through i might just forget about the PAL altogether. screw it, the gov. can't have my money for their bs "programs".

Well, looks like you're doing exactly what they wanted you to.

"Its too hard to keep my right to a gun, i'll do something different".

You think that's not what they had in mind? That's how the gov't steals our rights, one bit at a time. Soon they hope to say 'oh, there's so few gun owners we might as well just ban them'.

You think bows won't be next? They already went after cross bows. It'll take exactly one killing with a bow that makes public attention, and someone will start screaming 'why do we let people have these horrible weapons of death without a license'?

Never surrender your rights because the gov't makes it hard bud. If anything, get your gun license, and talk 4 other people into it too :) Teach 'em a lesson.

You can still hunt with your bow if you want :) - but dont' let the bad guys push you around. Get your license, buy a gun, mail a copy of the registration cert to paul martin with a note that says "IN YOUR FACE, DITHERS!" :)

twoSevenO
05-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Oh i'm still gettin mine :) but hopefully it comes a little faster. I have no criminal record or any of that stuff so hopefully it makes some difference haha.

Hagen
05-02-2006, 09:32 PM
wow, i'm kinda a newbie at the sport and i'm a little frightened at what i will have to go through when my pal expires (2009) no criminal record here either...but just dont know... i dont have restricted (cant hunt with it so why bother) guess i'll study the current laws in detail a few years prior....kudos to all the informed discussion on the site

cowboy-up69
05-02-2006, 10:09 PM
wow, i'm kinda a newbie at the sport and i'm a little frightened at what i will have to go through when my pal expires (2009) no criminal record here either...but just dont know... i dont have restricted (cant hunt with it so why bother) guess i'll study the current laws in detail a few years prior....kudos to all the informed discussion on the site

What you should do is send in your paper work to renew your PAL like 6 months earlier before your PAL expires. Then, hope fully ya get it back in time when yours expires.
Thats what I would do, but dont have to worry, got till '12 to do that bs ;)

Foxer
05-02-2006, 10:46 PM
wow, i'm kinda a newbie at the sport and i'm a little frightened at what i will have to go through when my pal expires (2009)

Don't be. First off - forewarned is forearmed, and you'll just challenge the test IF they bother to make you take one (they've been back and forth on that). So no sweat.

Second off - i suspect there's gonna be a LOTTTA changes between now and then with regards to the firearms act :) There's a new sherrif in town, don'tcha know :) So life will likely be easier.

Leaseman
05-03-2006, 07:19 AM
In a way it is kind of funny on how the system works....my buddy finally got his 5 months to the day while others get theirs in six weeks....I am still waiting for mine...not in a big rush...when it finally shows then we will buy!!!

Mike:wink:

bighornbob
05-03-2006, 08:05 AM
My PAL expires at the end of June. I changed my address etc on the CFC website and printed off the forms and I started the paper work at the end of february. I recieved a renewal form form the first week of april and used their paper as it was half filled out and mailed it in April 5. Their website says they recieved it April 11. I will give them 45 days then they will start getting polite phone calls once a week until I get it.

I think if you plan ahead and phone them everybody should get their in a timely manor. I have had friends that mail it in months ahead, forget about it, complain they have not gotten it, then when they need it they phone in and find out it has been delayed becuase they forgot to sign it or something simple like that. You have to keep on these guys until all the bugs are sorted out (the next generation may see it:p )

I will keep you posted when I get mine.

BHB

05-03-2006, 09:11 AM
It's bizarre that we can re-new our drivers licenses in 5 mins at any access center and receive them with in a week, AND the ministry (DOT)KNOWS if you have been bad or good driver, yet cfc takes up to six months! Must be those fancy expensive computers they have...

Dano
05-06-2006, 09:34 AM
I recieved my PAL yesterday. They recieved my application feb. 23. I called them last friday and it sounded like the girl approved it while I was on the phone. It was like she had just called it up on the computer, gave it the once over and ok'd it like you mentioned about the DL.
Anyways, I have it and it's good to 2011!
Dano

bighornbob
05-08-2006, 08:02 AM
Just got a letter from the PAL people on Wednesday and it said I was missing some info. I phoned them up and somehow I missed the box that asks if I have a spouse. I told them I did not and that was it. Hopefully it will be released soon.

BHB

Foxer
05-08-2006, 10:28 PM
I told them I did not and that was it.

WOW! They ARE behaving themselves.

Back in the day - that was a 'please resubmit a COMPLETE form and send another cheque' offense.

Gunner
05-09-2006, 03:54 AM
The reason for these long delays on renewals,seems to lie with the BC CFO's office ,and not Miramichi.My renewal took just under 4 months,and most of that time it was just sitting at the CFO's office.As I mentioned earlier,they could not figure out why my PAL includes restricted firearms,but I had none registered to me.Until I cleared that up with a phone call it was in limbo.By the way,the reason I'm online at 4:00AM,is that I just did a "Catch & Release",on a flying squirrel that was being pursued around the house by my 2 Labs and the cat.What a flippin' disaster!:evil: Goodnight everybody!

Fred
05-09-2006, 08:58 AM
With 2 dogs and a cat after it, I can understand why it was trying to fly!! :biggrin: Good luck on the clean-up. Fred

Leaseman
07-27-2006, 10:43 AM
An update...
Forgot about license due to "other" time consuming quests...check on my status just now (on line) and it comes up as recieved June 16/06:mad: ...new definition of snail mail or what!!!!...not impressed....

Mike