PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with a 5 year old

o2fish2day
05-31-2010, 11:33 PM
Hi all,

I think I know the answer here but want to ask your opinion. Are you allowed to bring a 5 year old hunting with you. (of course they would not actually hunt or have a gun)

I know the regs say no hunting under 10 years old but then the definition of hunting seems to be someone stalking prey with the intent to capture or who is in possession of a weapon.

Since the little guy isn't in possesion of a weapon does that mean they can come along for the adventure?

cavebear
05-31-2010, 11:55 PM
:-D:-D:-D start them young just insure safety. and a healthy respect for wildlife

hunter1947
06-01-2010, 06:19 AM
Thats a no brainer ...

CanuckShooter
06-01-2010, 06:23 AM
Sure you can, you do what ever is culturally appropriate for your family....

Big Lew
06-01-2010, 07:34 AM
You bet! Just remember that Kids that young have a very short attention span, and can lose interest quickly if they're not comfortable, (cold or wet) and be prepared to exercise patience because they'll talk your ear off! Having said that though, it was a tremendous thrill taking my two Kids hunting and fishing at that age, and earlier.

Gilmore
06-01-2010, 07:39 AM
I took a four year old on a week long hunting trip once, the only problem was the guy was actually 39.

ape
06-01-2010, 07:39 AM
I have been taking my daughter out wit me since she was 18 months old.

betteroffishing
06-01-2010, 08:02 AM
we take our senior citizen father out with us and he acts like hes four. bazinga

Rock Doctor
06-01-2010, 09:46 AM
I've taken all my kids out hunting while still in their "Baby Seats", no problem.

Muledeerjohn
06-01-2010, 10:05 AM
doesnt matter the age. just start them with safety (age pending to be able to comprehend what your talking about), otherwise look at changin diapers and such but still a heck of alot of fun. been taking oldest out since she was 2 (when i got custody;now 7 goin on 8) and now i have a wonderful wife and one due any day now that i will be taking out this fall!

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
06-01-2010, 10:53 AM
my kids have been it the bush since they were in diapers and they love every minute of it!! peeing and pooping in the bush fun stuff..lol

Mik
06-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Bring them along for the adventure! Its great fun and man can they talk your ear off...LOL:-D

Steeleco
06-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Like all the others have said, "no problem" but I'll add. Let it be their idea to come. That way they'll likely want to come all the time.

Don't rush them, they get board easy at that age, Good luck.

Maxx
06-01-2010, 11:09 AM
I am not so sure. I heard of a guy that got stopped while road hunting last year near kelowna with his 10 and 8 year olds in the truck. The CO told him that he could give him a ticket for hunting with the 8 year old. Of course the guy got upset, but the CO kept saying he could give him a ticket.

Stupid I know, I mean come on, you can't drive on a logging road with your kids?? Some CO's give the rest a bad name.

o2fish2day
06-01-2010, 05:54 PM
I am not so sure. I heard of a guy that got stopped while road hunting last year near kelowna with his 10 and 8 year olds in the truck. The CO told him that he could give him a ticket for hunting with the 8 year old. Of course the guy got upset, but the CO kept saying he could give him a ticket.

Stupid I know, I mean come on, you can't drive on a logging road with your kids?? Some CO's give the rest a bad name.

That doesn't surprise me. I question where the COs get their training. I have heard of COs fining people for snaring rabbits with a hunting licence (which is legal) I was stopped after one CO told me I could use target points to hunt geese while the next day another tried to find the section where it said I had to use broadheads, he was litterally thumbing through the regs. He finally had to let me go but it was concerning. I have also asked a CO if I can hunt in a certain provincial park, his answer was call the local rod and gun club, he didn't want to say.

It's a little shocking that they enforce a relatively unchanged set of guidelines and regulations with such inconsistancy. (hence my question) I appreciate everyone's feedback.

o2

Lone Ranger
06-01-2010, 07:57 PM
A friend's 6 year old son loves bird hunting, so he goes out with us whenever he can get the chance. He's still a little young to be doing the shooting, but he'd give a dog a run for its money retrieving the birds :mrgreen:

Like anything else, safety first and its always good to teach them young. LR

Pete
06-01-2010, 09:22 PM
my wife andI used to bundle up my 2 month old son, put him in his Truck seat and go hunting. He slept most of the time as kids in trucks will do but it was good to have the whole family out together.

ytlogger
06-02-2010, 06:51 AM
I took a four year old on a week long hunting trip once, the only problem was the guy was actually 39.

Hey, I know that guy!

Camp Cook
06-08-2010, 11:55 PM
I just got back from another hunting/fishing/camping trip with my now 3 year 2 month old son this trip was 6 days, the longest was 9 days up to Quesnel area a month or so ago now and 8 days thru BC to east of Edmonton last November and our first trip was just an overnighter last Sept 10/11 when he was only 2 1/2 years old and there have been many other 1 - 2 - 3 day trips as well.

We do not camp in camp sites we are in the most remote areas possible we take a canoe for fishing and he has now caught several rainbow trout and today while we were in the canoe (stopped @ Lighting Lakes in Manning Park) he started asking me to teach him how to cast his rod/line by himself... :-D

Don't fool yourself though it is extremely tough to hunt with a little guy along you can't leave him ever and he is so noisy that he usually scares the animals away.

Actually other than a few grouse he has scared everything that I have seen away except one black bear last Thursday that I got within 30 yards of but it was the mangiest/ugliest bear I had ever seen so didn't shoot it and left it alone... :mrgreen:

He loves to shoot and was shooting a T/C Contender carbine in 22LR with sub-sonics at his juice bottles yes I did everything and he just squeezes the trigger but he does hit the bottle now and then.

The key is to keep them warm and make it fun, I take along a small DVD player and a bag full of his favorite toys (Woody/Jesse of Toy Story and Thomas and Friends trains) this trip I also started teaching him to use a 2 way radio he's getting it but is still having trouble with holding the button down while he talks I figure he will have it down pat by the fall hunting season though.

All I can say is what is taking so long to get your guy out with you? :wink:

edit to add... new this trip is we are now on a cell package that allows us unlimited calls to 5 numbers from anywhere/anytime in Canada free so when we had cell reception which was quite a bit this trip because we were so high most of the time he was able to call and talk to his Mom which gave me a major break...

Yes he is in heaven and now sleeping soundly in his bed...