PDA

View Full Version : May long weekend grizzly hunt, story and pics!

jml11
05-31-2010, 10:14 PM
Quite a few of you have been asking me about my avatar so I suppose I should make good on my promise and post up the story:

This was my third chance at Grizzly having been drawn once in 2003 (MU 4-17) and again last spring in MU 7-17. I never participated in the Kootenay hunt do to job commitment (darn Stone’s Sheep research) but did put in a fair amount of time last spring with no great success. I did see one sow with 3 cubs in a field on private land…and was often hampered by the long winter. It was pretty disappointing for a supposed Grizzly haven.

This year I put in for a new area 7- (east of PG)...with high hopes of beating the ‘reduced odds’. I put in a group hunt with a buddy and low and behold we were both drawn again. The early spring allowed us to go in early this year but his nearly two week overdue baby did not so we were not able to go until May Long weekend.

We headed out May 22, getting a late start we didn’t reach the hunting grounds until early afternoon and after picking a camp and unloading the ATV’s we were able to get into some slides. We were mostly exploring on this first day and took a tour of the area, not seeing much other than a few elk and goats.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/P5230012.jpg

On our way back to camp in the evening, we passed by one of the gorgeous slides we had glassed over earlier and low and behold our first Grizzly! We were able to determine quite quickly that it was young bear and figured it was a sow so we just watched her graze, when over the ridge into the slide came in a dark bear and immediately we could tell he was much larger. We watched this bear for nearly half hour and figured it was definitely a mature boar. We contemplated going after it but it required inflating a boat to cross the stream and a hike up into the slide…as is was already past 8 o’clock pm. We figured putting a stalk on a grizzly with light dwindling and possible making a poor shot or wounding this bear at last light was not a good option so we stayed back assuming he would still be there in the morning. On the way out we saw two more grizzlies playing in the snow on another slide.

We were up at 5:00 am the next day and were back on the slide by 6:00am. Immediately we spotted the young sow and looked for the other bear to no avail.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/P5230006.jpg

After about 20 minutes, we noticed another bear walking up from the bottom of the slide towards the sow. This bear was not the dark guy from the previous night but a whole new bear.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/P5230007.jpg

This bear was a younger bear as well, we figured a 4-5 year old boar (~6 feet). We watched him chase the sow around for a while and up over the mountain ridge they went, but before they disappeared another darker bear was spotted in an adjacent slide to the right…it looked like the larger male from the previous night so we quickly pumped up the boats and headed across…one of us on the left side (me) and one on the right. The bear would be between us. http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/P5230013.jpg

It took us both about 1 hour to get across and up high enough so we were above him and he couldn’t wind us (wind blows straight up the slides). We slowly moved towards each other but could not see the bear as it was in a small opening surrounded by thick willows, douglas maple and alder. My partner sat still on a ridge line overlooking the area we had last seen the bear and was in a great position to spot the bear if it moved up or towards him so I slowly made my way along the rock ledge ~200m above him hoping to spot him or spook him (if hecame higher) towards my partner…but after a slow hour walk no sign of the bear and I was now over by my partner. The bears made obvious tracks in the slide where they had recently walked and I didn’t see any sign of him walking up past us through the willows before we got into position, so the only other way he could have gone was into the thick shrubbery that I walked above and just didn’t see him or straight down into the timber. So I decided to move back across into the rocks above the field of bushes in hopes of getting another look at him. For anyone that has hunted slides, you know that the willow and alder can be thick and tall and it was no exception here, being so thick you couldn’t walk through it in many places and it was well over 10 feet tall…which makes spotting a bear pretty difficult.

I climbed quite high into the rocks, passing within 50 yards of a few goats, so I could see over the entire area and low and behold, there he was moving into a small opening of green forbs and herbs, now to my right (he had walked right below me in the opposite direction). I was well over 300 yards above him so I decided to crawl a bit closer, which was no easy task in the steep, slippery rocks but was able to close the gap to ~150-175 yards I figured. This was as close as I could get as any lower would decrease the angle and I wouldn’t be able to see into the opening. The bear stayed close to top of the opening behind some of the tall alder and maple so I could only see his back or ears from time to time. I just had to wait him out. I got a good rest for my rifle (.300 win mag) and aimed it in the spot I hoped he would walk into. To my luck, the bear turned and walked right into my scope sights after about 20 minutes and I was ready…once the shoulder reached the cross-hairs I pulled the trigger and watched the bear crumble and roll down into the alder below!! I waited a bit and he did not move so I figured he was done. I waited for my partner to come over and we went down to the bear that was piled up along some alder and it was high fives all around, I had my first Grizzly!
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/101_1251.jpg

jml11
05-31-2010, 10:15 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/101_1252.jpg

After a few quick field shots it was onto skinning and the pack out…ooops forgot my pack frame…so it was over the shoulders like a towel and man was that ever heavy!!
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/P1050116.jpg

At least it was a relatively short pack out and was all down hill…got wet crossing the river again (small dingies are not made for man + bear) but made it across safely. Snapped a few more photos of the bear layed out and it was back home for us. A quick trip but a good one.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/P5230017.jpg

This boar is fairly old, he has many broken teeth (including canines) and his incisors are worn down to the gum line. He is ~7 feet which I’m told is decent for an interior bear and because of his age he probably wasn’t getting any bigger. He was quite robust though. His skull green scores 23 ½”.

We went out the next weekend to fill my partners tag and saw a bunch more bears including a couple of sows with cubs. He was able to get himself a boar as well, a bit smaller and younger than mine but quite the nice hide. He is not an HBC member and probably won’t let me post his photos but we will see. Here are a couple photos of some of the bears we saw this past weekend.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/P5290023.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/P5290026.jpg

05-31-2010, 10:15 PM
Cool Story and Congrats to you.

Always cool seeing and being with other game too

CT

srupp
05-31-2010, 10:19 PM
Well done..some exellent bears hitting the ground this spring..congradulations

SRUPP

35 Whelen
05-31-2010, 10:19 PM
Great story and great hunt. Congratulations..he looks great, nice big head too.

Well done. You should be proud of that bear

OutWest
05-31-2010, 10:22 PM
Awesome story man. I'm glad the plan come together. Congratulations to you and your partner on both getting bears!

slyfox
05-31-2010, 10:23 PM
Nice bear congrats.

BCbillies
05-31-2010, 10:24 PM
That's a great first bear and story. You've found a good concentration of bears and I'm inspired to give it one last go this weekend. :-D

killman
05-31-2010, 10:26 PM
Congrats on the nice Bear. Looks like you found a Bear haven.

BlacktailStalker
05-31-2010, 10:26 PM
You killed a gooder, nice pearly white diggers :cool:

jml11
05-31-2010, 10:32 PM
Congrats on the nice Bear. Looks like you found a Bear haven.

I think we may have, we saw at least 4 grizzlies every day and we only hunted a small area. I believe we glassed over ~15 grizzlies total, but I figured there were a couple of multiple sightings and it was 10 different bears. The entire MU is full of mountains much like these and we couldn't even fathom how many bears could potentially be in there...:eek:

cavebear
05-31-2010, 10:39 PM
one of my dream hunts, still waiting to get a draw:-D

BCrams
05-31-2010, 10:41 PM
Great story and glad you connected on that draw!

cwocarsten
05-31-2010, 10:53 PM
Nice bear, and nice play by play story and pics. CONGRATS.

Phil
05-31-2010, 11:10 PM
A great looking bear and an adventure to remember! Congrats!

bigwhiteys
05-31-2010, 11:23 PM
Great Bear! There have been quite a few nice grizzlies showing up on the site... Good to see you saw them in such numbers.

Carl

BiG Boar
05-31-2010, 11:51 PM
Wow! Looks amazing! Wish I was in your shoes at the moment that sucker hit the dirt. Wicked bear and story! Congradulations, I am super jelous.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-01-2010, 04:58 AM
Congrats Jessie on a dandy bear!
Looks as though the new decade of hunting is picking up where the first decade left off!:)

SSS

boxhitch
06-01-2010, 05:57 AM
Some good bears in that McBride country, good on you guys.
Blacks had moved out making way for the big guys ?

Blainer
06-01-2010, 06:10 AM
Good lookin' bruin and well written story.
tfs

hunter1947
06-01-2010, 06:11 AM
Very nice bear love the long nails ,he was some upset by looking at the willow he chewed up that is still in his mouth ,congrats..

gbear
06-01-2010, 06:58 AM
Congrats on a nice grizzly! Sounds like a great hunt

d6dan
06-01-2010, 07:17 AM
Very nice Grizzly. Congrats to you and your partner,

Benthos
06-01-2010, 07:19 AM
Nice work Jesse!!

Big Lew
06-01-2010, 07:25 AM
Congratulations to the both of you, great story! Always nice to hear of hunters exercising control and patience rather then allowing excitement to take control and trying for "Hale Mary" long or poor shots. Nice mature boar.

Sitkaspruce
06-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Congrats on a great bear and a great hunt!!!!!

Cheers

SS

jml11
06-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Congrats Jessie on a dandy bear!
Looks as though the new decade of hunting is picking up where the first decade left off!:)

SSS

I was going to say something along those lines in my post. IIRC it was you that asked in my first ten years thread what was in store for my next decade and I stated a grizzly, dall's sheep and bighorn...well I am one third of the way there first hunt in! Hopefully 2/3 come the second hunt :wink:.

jml11
06-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Some good bears in that McBride country, good on you guys.
Blacks had moved out making way for the big guys ?

We saw Zero blacks during the hunt...

Did see a couple close to the area on the recent hunt though.

ThinAir
06-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Nice bear Jesse!

Looks like a beautiful place to hunt. Congratulations!

Elkhound
06-01-2010, 09:56 AM
congrats on your bear. beautiful country

Gus
06-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Good one! Sounds like a great hunt. How was the access conditions due to snow. Doesn't seem like you guys had much trouble.

jml11
06-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Good one! Sounds like a great hunt. How was the access conditions due to snow. Doesn't seem like you guys had much trouble.

No troubles due to snow at all, the snow line was actually quite high on the mountains. You were able to access the area we hunted in the first week of may this year...most years it is later.

Mik
06-01-2010, 10:41 AM
great story, looks like some excellent country, Congrats on the G-Bear.

GoatGuy
06-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Nice reading the long version of the story.

fester
06-01-2010, 11:38 AM
great story and photos

Stone Sheep Steve
06-01-2010, 12:12 PM
I was going to say something along those lines in my post. IIRC it was you that asked in my first ten years thread what was in store for my next decade and I stated a grizzly, dall's sheep and bighorn...well I am one third of the way there first hunt in! Hopefully 2/3 come the second hunt :wink:.

Bet you won't finish all 3 this yr!!!:wink:

You're on quite a roll. Keep the momentum going!

SSS

demlake
06-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the pics and story.

Great looking bear.

jrjonesy
06-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Great story and bear! Thanks for sharing!

jml11
06-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Bet you won't finish all 3 this yr!!!:wink:

You're on quite a roll. Keep the momentum going!

SSS

If only I had won the Special Sheep LEH last year...:cry:

Rattler
06-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Congrats, that is a dandy bear...

Beardy
06-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Congrats buddy! I'm jealous!!! ;) awesome bear

Timbow
06-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Congradulations on a nice bear, thanks for sharing your story and pictures.

madcarpenter
06-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Awesome hunt and pics!!!

What were you shooting out of your 300 win to crumple him like that?

-Mad

kootenayelkslayer
06-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Congrats again man. Sounds like a great hunt.

Rubberfist
06-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Great story and pics! Thanks for posting and congrats on an excellent bear!

JDR
06-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Congrats! Great story and pics. Love the colours on the bear.

yama49
06-01-2010, 10:04 PM
great bear, and story. thx for sharing it with us...